I’ve marked my fair share of English exam papers here in Japan, and there have been a few gems of hilarity in amongst the spelling mistakes and butchered grammar, but nothing that measures up to this beauty. One student’s answer to a simple question was so deep and existential, it read like poetry.
We’ve always been told that stereotypes are bad, but there are certain cultural phenom that can be measured so widely that it’s safe to say that people from certain countries at least have a tendency to behave in certain ways.
The Japanese, for instance, are said to be orderly and conformist, while Americans are said to be cowboys that like to do things their own way, even if to the detriment of others.
While this survey sticker board from a Japanese hostel – which asks where visitors hail from – may actually prove the opposite about Americans, it pretty readily confirms that the Japanese are very organized.
Is there anything creepier than finding an inexplicable, crazy-looking doll on the street? No, probably not.
Porcelain dolls especially have that sort of old-timey, “back when science couldn’t explain things” vibe that makes them even creepier than, say, a Cabbage Patch Kid you found in your now-adult sister’s closet. So it’s not surprising that when somebody found this one sitting at the base of a tree in Singapore, the Internet took notice.
- BUSINESS INSIDER
Jun 7, 2014
Life inside a communist country with a controlling dictator for a leader is not only suffocating and dangerous; it’s also vastly different from life in developed countries elsewhere across the globe.
Joo Yang, who defected from North Korea in 2010, did an “Ask Me Anything” on Reddit Wednesday and explained what it was like to leave the oppressive country and experience life in the outside world.
North Korean defectors have to escape the country covertly. Some of them were basically brainwashed by propaganda growing up — one defector who spoke to UK newspaper The Independent said she was raised to believe that Kim Jong-il was a god who could read her mind.
Yang joined her family in South Korea in 2011. An NGO helped her travel through a “modern-day underground railroad” to escape North Korea.
Here are some of the observations she made about life in North Korea versus life on the outside:
- Master Blaster
Feb 3, 2014
The above image depicting a man looking at erotic manga on a train has been circulated wide across the internet. We even made use of it in an article about unusual train behavior. Hardcore readers, however, may recognize this man as Yoppy, a writer from the awesome Japanese humor website Omocoro.
With his new-found fame, Yoppy embarked on a quest to present his website beyond the shores of Japan. But was the world ready for the Japanese-oriented naked-man-heavy content of Omocoro? Find out in this naked-man-heavy article!
Of course, we at RocketNews24 know that Japan is a great place, but have you ever wondered what drives others to leave home and live in the land of the rising sun? It is a question that those of us who spent time working, studying or living in Japan can find a little repetitious and annoying and may cause us to forget why we chose to come to Japan.
That’s why we wanted to share some answers to that ubiquitous question that we found on the Internet messaging board Reddit, where netizens there gave some brutally honest responses. Click below to find out some of the funny, strange and heart-warming reasons people decide to spend their life (or at least part of it) in Japan!
- Scott R Dixon
Oct 20, 2013
Despite one of the top stories this past week being about how terrible Americans are at getting along, a picture posted on the Internet messaging board reddit has brought a little credibility back to the United States. Normally a hand-scrawled note to a server about paying the bill would barely make local gossip. However, this man’s offer of charity to two crying women who just received bad news made its way to Japan, moving some to tears and some to wonder if privacy concerns would prevent this from happening in their country.
KFC Japan president buys and wears Colonel Sanders’ signature suit, Reddit chicken enthusiasts not amused
Jun 26, 2013
KFC Japan president Maseo “Charlie” Watanabe surprised and angered the front page of the Internet itself, Reddit, yesterday when he won Colonel Sanders’ iconic white suit at auction for US$21,510 and promptly tried it on for all to see.
- Master Blaster
Oct 8, 2012
Following a number of reddit users fawning over the greenery topped architecture of Namba Parks, this photo of a tiny single car parking complex also made a splash in different way.
Located by a pedestrian near Kanda Station people all over were perplexed and amused by this little business. Many were confused over the inclusion of a vending machine, security camera, extensive signage, and space numbering system – for one space.
Some photos recently posted on reddit of a shopping mall in central Osaka surprised those not living Japan some of whom wanted to live in the mall. This, in turn, surprised Japanese people who didn’t know it was that amazing to others.
The mall, aptly named Namba Parks certainly looks beautiful from this angle but there is actually function as well as form at work here.
- 16-year-old girl arrested for beheading classmate in Japan’s Nagasaki Prefecture1
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight2
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker3
- Son refuses to see mom because she’s “too ugly”, but is that the whole story?4
- Get the most out of your visit to Japan with these tourist-only deals 【Ninja Life Skills】5
- This watermelon might be the most disappointing thing you see today6
- “Joke” site demonstrates the cruelty of cyberbullying, makes us wet our pants7
- 10 obscure Japanese vending machine drinks that fly under the beverage radar8
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!9
- Japanese netizens lament over the long, but sad life of sea urchins10
- Gamer discovers his deceased father’s ghost on an old Xbox game, challenges it to a race1
- Internet survey sheds light on how Japanese women deal with the hair ‘down there’2
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker3
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman4
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old to raise her to be his “ideal girl”5
- Creative pet “haircuts”: Funky or funny? You decide.6
- Beautiful 400-year-old garden in Okayama about to be replaced with condominium complex7
- Five amazing Japanese Starbucks locations that let you keep sightseeing as you take a break8
- Inconsiderate commuter behavior in Korea – A photo guide9
- Japanese critic shares his (kinda weird) views on Japanese vs Western adult entertainment10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】6
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land7
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic8
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!9
- Guitarist perfectly recreates disgraced Japanese politician’s uncontrollable sobbing【Video】10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- What if Sailor Moon characters were lingerie models? They’d look stunning like this 【Photos】9
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】10
- This watermelon might be the most disappointing thing you see today
- “Joke” site demonstrates the cruelty of cyberbullying, makes us wet our pants
- 10 obscure Japanese vending machine drinks that fly under the beverage radar
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!
- Japanese netizens lament over the long, but sad life of sea urchins
- “Painful” decorations return! It’s time to bring the pain to your entire room!
- Beautiful 400-year-old garden in Okayama about to be replaced with condominium complex
- Get your chills on the rails with Kyoto’s Ghost Train 【Video】
- We Try Fried Piranha, Even Dead and Cooked It’s Pretty Dangerous
- These four Siberian Huskies probably have more followers than you on Instagram!
- 5 ways to nap at the office, according to a Japanese wage slave
- Don’t call them fat, call them Marshmallow Girls!
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea