They may be too young to be thinking about dating, but it seems that elementary school girls can still tell you exactly what they DON’T want to see in a guy!
relationships in japan
Nov 1, 2014
There’s a list of the “five best ways to check if your man is cheating on you” that resurfaces every now and again on Japanese matome and magazine sites. If you’re harbouring doubts about your man’s fidelity, you’re supposed to watch how he responds when you try out one of these five awesome tricks (spoiler alert: like many things in life, they’re not that awesome).
After we’d gotten over our disappointment that none of the suggestions involve hidden cameras or going out undercover in a big coat and fake nose, we started to wonder where these ideas had come from. We did a bit of digging, and it turns out this “top five” first appeared a few years ago on the Japanese variety TV show Honma Dekka!?, in a segment with marketing expert Megumi Ushikubo and clinical psychologist Rie Ueki.
Jun 8, 2014
Crossdressing and genderbending are not only long-time staples of Japanese anime and manga, but also of TV and celebrity culture. From this, anyone would think that Japan was one of the most open and accepting countries when it comes to people who don’t fit into traditional gender roles or relationships. However, the reality outside of media and entertainment is often quite different. Family and work life are both still clearly divided down gender lines, and men who engage in anything that blurs or crosses these lines are generally shunned. But could the girl who dumps a guy just because he turns up to a date in a dress be the one who’s really missing out?
Aug 30, 2013
How often do you want to see your boyfriend or girlfriend? It’s a pretty important question for anyone in a relationship, and if each half of the couple’s expectations don’t match up, it can become a problem. Do you feel your girlfriend is too clingy when she asks to see you every night of the week? Or maybe you’re questioning if your boyfriend really likes you, since he doesn’t seem to want to spend that much time with you.
Market research company Cross Marketing conducted an online survey where they asked 300 Japanese men and women in their 20’s and 30’s “How often do you like to meet your boyfriend/girlfriend?”. The results were pretty interesting, and maybe not quite what you’d expect.
Karen Bremer Masuda
Oct 1, 2012
In Japan, goukon, are mixers meant to set the stage for finding a mate. They are designed to help young adults find at least a relationship, if not a suitable marriage partner, and are often organized by businesses like in the ad above.
The average goukon brings together around three to five people of each gender and takes place at a restaurant or izakaya (Japanese-style bar). Groups are seated randomly, usually with seats alternating by gender so everyone can get to know each other better.
Business organizational skills aside, most women know that the chance of a relationship forming from a goukon depends on the efforts of the participants. A certain protocol must be followed if a man wants a woman to give him the time of day. If he is too out-of-place, then it could cause embarrassment all around.
Japanese website Otome Sugoren surveyed their female readers to find out what kind of guy they think shouldn’t even bother showing up to the goukon party. Men: be sure to pay attention so you know what not to do at your next goukon. After all, while you may be there to play the field, women are serious about finding someone! Read More
- (alcohol • boyfriend • comfortable • communication • conversation • drunk • enjoyable time • even number • finding a mate • finding someone • girlfriend • goukon • grab your fancy • husband • ice breaker • mixers • relationships in japan • sober • stylishly dressed • talk to men • talk to women • uncomfortable • wife)
Let’s be honest; there are a lot of distinctly average-looking foreign guys living in Japan dating jaw-droppingly beautiful Japanese girls. We’ve all witnessed it- a woman who could play the female lead in the next James Bond movie, walking down the street with a guy who, if we searched for him in the same movie’s end credits, would more likely appear as something along the lines of “man in post office # 3”.
Were the same couple to be seen out and about in the guy’s home town, pretty much everyone would be looking from her to him, then back to her again and whispering to their friends “Wow, that guy’s punching above his weight….”
Shallow? Yes. Narrow minded? Definitely. But no matter how much we remind ourselves that it’s what’s on the inside that counts, there’s no denying the fact that human beings, flawed as we are, make a lot of decisions based on appearances. And when Johnny Average gets to date Princess Zelda (I’m a nerd, remember?), heads turn.
How do they do it? Read More
- Japanese opera singer records an incredible cover of Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody”1
- Ariana Grande is learning hiragana and Japan can’t stop talking about it2
- Team aims to pierce moon with Evangelion’s Spear of Longinus3
- Friends too busy to go to the Pokémon Cafe? No problem! Pikachu himself will sit with you4
- Around Japan in 47 rice balls: Mr. Sato buys each prefecture’s musubi all from one Tokyo shop5
- Make your instant coffee 10 times yummier with this one simple trick6
- Japanese wasp-filled crackers: Their sting is far worse than a bite7
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time8
- Could this teen’s simple but genius idea help put an end to cyber bullying?9
- Disney’s Baymax appears in curry, hot pots, and more, thanks to cheesy food-based pun【Photos】10
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”1
- The cat hairband, for when cat ears just aren’t enough2
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time3
- No more photo retouches! New makeup for cosplayers claims to create photo-perfect skin4
- Cross-dressing talent Matsuko Deluxe: AKB opening the Tokyo Olympics “would embarrass Japan”5
- Do clothes make the man or the man make the clothes? Japanese Twitter user tries to find out6
- Ninja-cats are hiding in homes around the world and we have 20 photos to prove it7
- Cross-dressing Cosplay Idol Group a Huge Hit in China8
- Side-boob Shirt is the useless evolution of last year’s Boob Turtleneck9
- Chinese netizens left reeling after father of slain Japanese hostage apologizes to the public10
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”1
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing2
- Cosplay ideals vs. cosplay reality, a.k.a. cool vs. funny 【Photos】3
- Internet ready to shut up and take your money as preorders finally start for Cat Ear Headphones4
- Edo era Samurai were pretty gay5
- Ugly-cute makeup genius feeds off negative troll comments on Twitter6
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time7
- Teacher draws over students’ doodles to make red pen masterpieces8
- Photos of people lining up outside of the Sapporo Apple Store make us feel positively frozen9
- Netizens hatch adorable baby birds from supermarket eggs, provide evidence10
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”1
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood2
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】5
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”6
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school7
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing8
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises9
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit10
- Make your instant coffee 10 times yummier with this one simple trick
- Japanese wasp-filled crackers: Their sting is far worse than a bite
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time
- Could this teen’s simple but genius idea help put an end to cyber bullying?
- Disney’s Baymax appears in curry, hot pots, and more, thanks to cheesy food-based pun【Photos】
- Steam Garden: Tokyo’s steampunk festival might be better than a Victorian time machine
- Do clothes make the man or the man make the clothes? Japanese Twitter user tries to find out
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”
- New garlic cola from Japan’s garlic capital is as surprising as its name proclaims
- Tokyo Disneyland raising admission, because it’s the Happiest Place on Earth, not the cheapest
- Ninja-cats are hiding in homes around the world and we have 20 photos to prove it
- Japanese village converted into gorgeous open-air museum makes an easy day-trip escape from Tokyo