Crossdressing and genderbending are not only long-time staples of Japanese anime and manga, but also of TV and celebrity culture. From this, anyone would think that Japan was one of the most open and accepting countries when it comes to people who don’t fit into traditional gender roles or relationships. However, the reality outside of media and entertainment is often quite different. Family and work life are both still clearly divided down gender lines, and men who engage in anything that blurs or crosses these lines are generally shunned. But could the girl who dumps a guy just because he turns up to a date in a dress be the one who’s really missing out?
relationships in japan
- Cara Clegg
Aug 30, 2013
How often do you want to see your boyfriend or girlfriend? It’s a pretty important question for anyone in a relationship, and if each half of the couple’s expectations don’t match up, it can become a problem. Do you feel your girlfriend is too clingy when she asks to see you every night of the week? Or maybe you’re questioning if your boyfriend really likes you, since he doesn’t seem to want to spend that much time with you.
Market research company Cross Marketing conducted an online survey where they asked 300 Japanese men and women in their 20′s and 30′s “How often do you like to meet your boyfriend/girlfriend?”. The results were pretty interesting, and maybe not quite what you’d expect.
- Karen Bremer Masuda
Oct 1, 2012
In Japan, goukon, are mixers meant to set the stage for finding a mate. They are designed to help young adults find at least a relationship, if not a suitable marriage partner, and are often organized by businesses like in the ad above.
The average goukon brings together around three to five people of each gender and takes place at a restaurant or izakaya (Japanese-style bar). Groups are seated randomly, usually with seats alternating by gender so everyone can get to know each other better.
Business organizational skills aside, most women know that the chance of a relationship forming from a goukon depends on the efforts of the participants. A certain protocol must be followed if a man wants a woman to give him the time of day. If he is too out-of-place, then it could cause embarrassment all around.
Japanese website Otome Sugoren surveyed their female readers to find out what kind of guy they think shouldn’t even bother showing up to the goukon party. Men: be sure to pay attention so you know what not to do at your next goukon. After all, while you may be there to play the field, women are serious about finding someone! Read More
- (alcohol • boyfriend • comfortable • communication • conversation • drunk • enjoyable time • even number • finding a mate • finding someone • girlfriend • goukon • grab your fancy • husband • ice breaker • mixers • relationships in japan • sober • stylishly dressed • talk to men • talk to women • uncomfortable • wife)
Let’s be honest; there are a lot of distinctly average-looking foreign guys living in Japan dating jaw-droppingly beautiful Japanese girls. We’ve all witnessed it- a woman who could play the female lead in the next James Bond movie, walking down the street with a guy who, if we searched for him in the same movie’s end credits, would more likely appear as something along the lines of “man in post office # 3”.
Were the same couple to be seen out and about in the guy’s home town, pretty much everyone would be looking from her to him, then back to her again and whispering to their friends “Wow, that guy’s punching above his weight….”
Shallow? Yes. Narrow minded? Definitely. But no matter how much we remind ourselves that it’s what’s on the inside that counts, there’s no denying the fact that human beings, flawed as we are, make a lot of decisions based on appearances. And when Johnny Average gets to date Princess Zelda (I’m a nerd, remember?), heads turn.
How do they do it? Read More
- Japanese critic shares his (kinda weird) views on Japanese vs Western adult entertainment1
- Gamer discovers his deceased father’s ghost on an old Xbox game, challenges it to a race2
- Our Japanese correspondent’s report from his first-ever San Diego Comic-Con3
- Toyokazu Nagano’s “Magic Road” – the funniest, most adorable photos you’ll see today4
- 【TBT】Tipping in Japan: Yes, it exists and it’s confusing5
- Cats transform into bears, bats, and more, impress and enchant Japanese Internet users6
- Actress/sexpert Aya Sugimoto founds organization for animal welfare in Japan7
- Japanese Twitter users report an increase in ninja cat sightings as summer settles in【Photos】8
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker9
- Summer in China means crazy-crowded pools, which somehow mean fun for some easy-going swimmers10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- This man’s face left Chinese internet users in amazement, agony and confusion 【Photos】2
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman3
- Creative pet “haircuts”: Funky or funny? You decide.4
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old to raise her to be his “ideal girl”5
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!6
- More than one way to skin a cat? Japanese YouTuber shows how to “open” a cat with belly rubs7
- Is Attack on Titan a documentary? Mikasa spotted in Russia!8
- Inconsiderate commuter behavior in Korea – A photo guide9
- 12 beautiful Japanese train stations by the sea10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】6
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land7
- 16 photos that show why Singapore has the world’s best airline8
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic9
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- What if Sailor Moon characters were lingerie models? They’d look stunning like this 【Photos】9
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】10
- Cats transform into bears, bats, and more, impress and enchant Japanese Internet users
- Actress/sexpert Aya Sugimoto founds organization for animal welfare in Japan
- Japanese Twitter users report an increase in ninja cat sightings as summer settles in【Photos】
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- Summer in China means crazy-crowded pools, which somehow mean fun for some easy-going swimmers
- No peripheral vision – Japan’s gamers sound off on hardware add-on nightmares
- Pikachu’s dramatic decline in popularity captured in photos
- List of four desirable traits in an otaku girlfriend may not be the most well-thought-out
- Five amazing Japanese Starbucks locations that let you keep sightseeing as you take a break
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!
- Looking for a unique job environment? This could be as unique (and isolated) as it gets in Japan!
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old to raise her to be his “ideal girl”
- Korean drama advances slap technology with ancient Korean recipe