Further controversy has emerged surrounding the South Korean Sewol ferry disaster, as a TV crew is accused of setting up footage of a rescue diver. Korean media reports that a member of the rescue team who was not working at the time was put in a wetsuit and drenched in water to give the appearance that he had just come back from a dive. Media crews apparently said that a dry-haired diver would not be realistic and believable enough.
- Preston Phro
Dec 20, 2013
Here’s a happy little story to start your weekend off right!
This Wednesday, a group of seven elementary school girls spotted an elderly lady trapped on a railroad crossing in Yamanashi Prefecture. Her electric-powered wheelchair had run out of power, leaving the poor woman stranded–and that’s when the brave girls sprang into action.
- Preston Phro
Oct 21, 2013
Last week, Japanese and Chinese websites were abuzz with the news of a heroic rescue in China and the alleged theft that followed.
At around 3PM on October 14, a foreign gentleman who happened to be at the famous Shanghai sightseeing spot, the Bund, spotted a Chinese woman leaping into the river in an apparent suicide attempt. Without a moment’s hesitation, the man followed her into the water to save the woman from drowning. However, once the rescue was finished, the man returned to where he’d left his belongings–only to find them gone! Once the news that the hero’s belongings had been stolen while rescuing a drowning woman hit the Internet, Chinese commenters fell into dismay, posting harsh criticisms of their fellow citizens.
And we have to admit that it would be pretty shocking–if it were true!
- Rona Moon
Aug 26, 2013
One day, one ordinary person and his family found it in their hearts to take in a tiny, abandoned kitten who had lost her sight due to a bad case of conjunctivitis. They already had two dogs under their roof, which would make it difficult to keep a cat. Nevertheless, the father devoted himself to her care as she hovered between life and death, praying for the kitten’s full recovery. He didn’t intend to give the kitten a name at first, as he was worried about becoming too attached, and just called her “cat” (neko in Japanese) but somehow everyone started calling her Niko, which means something like “happy smile”.
- Master Blaster
Nov 10, 2012
Every once in a while a story comes along about a flying car or helicopter that fits in a briefcase, but they always disappear into the ether never coming to fruition. It’s understandable since everyone having their own mass produced flying machine would be a safety and law enforcement nightmare.
This time, however, Hirobo in Hiroshima Prefecture may be rolling out a personal helicopter that will actually get off the ground.
- Master Blaster
Nov 1, 2012
On a late night light rail train in Phoenix, Arizona on what authorities believe to have been October 6, a man rescued another passenger from a fight by wielding his samurai sword towards the assailants.
The incident was caught on video and uploaded to YouTube. None of the parties involved have been identified and the police are currently investigating.
Chinese Netizens Offer Words of Thanks in Place of Their Government after Japanese Rescue Stranded Crew
- Philip Kendall
Oct 25, 2012
In a news story over on the Asahi Shinbun Digital, despite the Japanese coastguard coming to the aid of a Chinese freighter that had caught fire, the Chinese government has yet to issue a statement of thanks.
Chinese netizens, however, have taken to their keyboards to show their gratitude and express their joy upon hearing about the act of humanity despite relations between the two countries being so bad at this time.
- Master Blaster
Sep 2, 2012
On August 12 in Wenling City, Zhejiang Province, calls were flooding into the local police department that “a dead body was floating in the river.”
When they arrived on the scene they indeed found a young woman floating by herself, except she wasn’t dead. She was napping.
Man Forced to Choose Between Mother and Wife Drowning at the Same Time, China Continues to Become the Home of Hypothetical Situations Come to Life
- Master Blaster
Aug 12, 2012
One of the amazing things about China is that with its massive population of 1.3 billion, strange events tend to happen with more frequency than other countries. And they’re usually the kind of strange events imagined during late night drinking sessions. For example, someone falls into a pit of human feces. Who in your neighborhood would be the first person to jump in to save them? Happened in China. Your boyfriend stole your money so he could buy you presents. What would you do? Happened in China.
Now your wife and your mother are both drowning. Who do you save? This also happened in China a few weeks ago, and not everyone agrees with the man’s decision.
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight1
- This watermelon might be the most disappointing thing you see today2
- 16-year-old girl arrested for beheading classmate in Japan’s Nagasaki Prefecture3
- Two people tragically die after Chinese woman drops her cell phone into a cesspool4
- Ryokan etiquette: What not to do when staying at a traditional Japanese inn5
- The planned “Great Ice Wall” to contain Fukushima Dai-Ichi nuclear plant isn’t freezing6
- If an onigiri and a cheesegurger had a baby, it’d be a Bakudan Musubi7
- Vietnamese man, angry at wife, hatches bizarre revenge scheme: Cut off his own penis8
- Gintama’s protagonist as envisioned by fujoshi: blushing, bare-chested, and super voluptuous!9
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker10
- Gamer discovers his deceased father’s ghost on an old Xbox game, challenges it to a race1
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight2
- Internet survey sheds light on how Japanese women deal with the hair ‘down there’3
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker4
- 16-year-old girl arrested for beheading classmate in Japan’s Nagasaki Prefecture5
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old to raise her to be his “ideal girl”6
- Five amazing Japanese Starbucks locations that let you keep sightseeing as you take a break7
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman8
- This watermelon might be the most disappointing thing you see today9
- 10 obscure Japanese vending machine drinks that fly under the beverage radar10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】6
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land7
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic8
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!9
- Guitarist perfectly recreates disgraced Japanese politician’s uncontrollable sobbing【Video】10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- What if Sailor Moon characters were lingerie models? They’d look stunning like this 【Photos】9
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】10
- The planned “Great Ice Wall” to contain Fukushima Dai-Ichi nuclear plant isn’t freezing
- If an onigiri and a cheesegurger had a baby, it’d be a Bakudan Musubi
- Vietnamese man, angry at wife, hatches bizarre revenge scheme: Cut off his own penis
- Gintama’s protagonist as envisioned by fujoshi: blushing, bare-chested, and super voluptuous!
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- Our reporter goes looking for fans at Comic-Con…in his Sailor Venus cosplay outfit
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!
- Get the most out of your visit to Japan with these tourist-only deals 【Ninja Life Skills】
- Japanese netizens lament over the long, but sad life of sea urchins
- 10 obscure Japanese vending machine drinks that fly under the beverage radar
- Get your chills on the rails with Kyoto’s Ghost Train 【Video】
- “Joke” site demonstrates the cruelty of cyberbullying, makes us wet our pants
- Son refuses to see mom because she’s “too ugly”, but is that the whole story?
- The amazing cosplayers of (the first two days of) Comic-Con 2014