We love a good rescue story, especially when it involves cute kitties! Find out who this rescuer is and why the kitten found himself stuck in a ditch after the jump!
After reading this, you’ll have even more reason to love IKEA.
Since May, IKEA and other home goods stores in Singapore have been partnering up with local animal rescue groups to raise awareness about dog adoption. To achieve this goal, IKEA has placed photo cutouts of actual shelter dogs within the sample rooms along with information about the process of adoption. The effort has proved incredibly rewarding so far, with many homeless dogs finding themselves a loving family and a brand new life.
In case no one’s mentioned it yet, Tokyo is getting a bit warm this year. In fact, the other day my phone told me that despite what the thermometer said, the temperature felt like 44 Celsius–or 111.2 Fahrenheit. Even that seemed a bit low to me, but either way, I clearly should be living inside the refrigerator. And from the looks of things, there are a few cats who’d like to join us. Though I’m not so sure I want them in there with me, since they might just be…ghosts?!
Further controversy has emerged surrounding the South Korean Sewol ferry disaster, as a TV crew is accused of setting up footage of a rescue diver. Korean media reports that a member of the rescue team who was not working at the time was put in a wetsuit and drenched in water to give the appearance that he had just come back from a dive. Media crews apparently said that a dry-haired diver would not be realistic and believable enough.
Dec 20, 2013
Here’s a happy little story to start your weekend off right!
This Wednesday, a group of seven elementary school girls spotted an elderly lady trapped on a railroad crossing in Yamanashi Prefecture. Her electric-powered wheelchair had run out of power, leaving the poor woman stranded–and that’s when the brave girls sprang into action.
Oct 21, 2013
Last week, Japanese and Chinese websites were abuzz with the news of a heroic rescue in China and the alleged theft that followed.
At around 3PM on October 14, a foreign gentleman who happened to be at the famous Shanghai sightseeing spot, the Bund, spotted a Chinese woman leaping into the river in an apparent suicide attempt. Without a moment’s hesitation, the man followed her into the water to save the woman from drowning. However, once the rescue was finished, the man returned to where he’d left his belongings–only to find them gone! Once the news that the hero’s belongings had been stolen while rescuing a drowning woman hit the Internet, Chinese commenters fell into dismay, posting harsh criticisms of their fellow citizens.
And we have to admit that it would be pretty shocking–if it were true!
Aug 26, 2013
One day, one ordinary person and his family found it in their hearts to take in a tiny, abandoned kitten who had lost her sight due to a bad case of conjunctivitis. They already had two dogs under their roof, which would make it difficult to keep a cat. Nevertheless, the father devoted himself to her care as she hovered between life and death, praying for the kitten’s full recovery. He didn’t intend to give the kitten a name at first, as he was worried about becoming too attached, and just called her “cat” (neko in Japanese) but somehow everyone started calling her Niko, which means something like “happy smile”.
Nov 10, 2012
Every once in a while a story comes along about a flying car or helicopter that fits in a briefcase, but they always disappear into the ether never coming to fruition. It’s understandable since everyone having their own mass produced flying machine would be a safety and law enforcement nightmare.
This time, however, Hirobo in Hiroshima Prefecture may be rolling out a personal helicopter that will actually get off the ground.
Nov 1, 2012
On a late night light rail train in Phoenix, Arizona on what authorities believe to have been October 6, a man rescued another passenger from a fight by wielding his samurai sword towards the assailants.
The incident was caught on video and uploaded to YouTube. None of the parties involved have been identified and the police are currently investigating.
Chinese Netizens Offer Words of Thanks in Place of Their Government after Japanese Rescue Stranded Crew
Oct 25, 2012
In a news story over on the Asahi Shinbun Digital, despite the Japanese coastguard coming to the aid of a Chinese freighter that had caught fire, the Chinese government has yet to issue a statement of thanks.
Chinese netizens, however, have taken to their keyboards to show their gratitude and express their joy upon hearing about the act of humanity despite relations between the two countries being so bad at this time.
Sep 2, 2012
On August 12 in Wenling City, Zhejiang Province, calls were flooding into the local police department that “a dead body was floating in the river.”
When they arrived on the scene they indeed found a young woman floating by herself, except she wasn’t dead. She was napping.
Man Forced to Choose Between Mother and Wife Drowning at the Same Time, China Continues to Become the Home of Hypothetical Situations Come to Life
Aug 12, 2012
One of the amazing things about China is that with its massive population of 1.3 billion, strange events tend to happen with more frequency than other countries. And they’re usually the kind of strange events imagined during late night drinking sessions. For example, someone falls into a pit of human feces. Who in your neighborhood would be the first person to jump in to save them? Happened in China. Your boyfriend stole your money so he could buy you presents. What would you do? Happened in China.
Now your wife and your mother are both drowning. Who do you save? This also happened in China a few weeks ago, and not everyone agrees with the man’s decision.
- Ready to tie the anime knot? Company offers marriage certificate for you and your 2D waifu1
- New Evangelion short film now streaming on animation studio’s website2
- Latest evolution of Pokémon cafe to open in Shibuya this January3
- One more time! Anime fans choose the series they’d most like to see rerun on TV4
- Too busy to wrap Christmas presents? Not if you’ve got 12 seconds, Japanese store shows【Video】5
- Love dolls, strippers, jacuzzis and drugs: The Philippines’ largest prison gets raided by police6
- 11 never-ending hypnotic GIFs that just made a portion of our weekend disappear mysteriously7
- “2D vs. Katana” exhibition shows off recreations of swords from anime and video games in Osaka8
- Rock band KISS collaborating with Sailor Moon Crystal’s Momoiro Clover Z9
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea10
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】1
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood2
- Character images of new Digimon Adventure series released, expected to air in spring 20153
- Chinese dude bags super hot Ukrainian wife, generates major envy online4
- Life imitates (Sword) Art (Online) as Japanese gamers find they can’t log out of online RPG5
- Artist magically transforms Sailor Moon characters into black women6
- Japan’s cutest rodent commuters take the high-road【Video】7
- Our hero Ladybeard shows us and the world how to properly wear the much-talked about boob shirt8
- 39 looks at the lighter side of Asia9
- How humanity ends: Virtual reality headset hooked up to Tenga love cup for men 【Video】10
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood1
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin2
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】3
- How to say “I love you” in Japanese – 47 different ways 【Videos】4
- Japanese man proposes to girlfriend with Guinness World Record-winning GPS drawing5
- Historic Kyoto temple first in Japan to offer gay weddings6
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!7
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】8
- Hayao Miyazaki comments on Chihiro’s final test scene in Spirited Away9
- Fashion gone wrong? Boob shirts take Twitter by storm10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】3
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China4
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood5
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin6
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked7
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours8
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】9
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school10
- Love dolls, strippers, jacuzzis and drugs: The Philippines’ largest prison gets raided by police
- 11 never-ending hypnotic GIFs that just made a portion of our weekend disappear mysteriously
- “2D vs. Katana” exhibition shows off recreations of swords from anime and video games in Osaka
- Rock band KISS collaborating with Sailor Moon Crystal’s Momoiro Clover Z
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea
- Clever cat duo cause havoc in the bathroom but are too cute to scold
- Tips from Japan to make your skin extra beautiful! It begins with a bath and…
- Cotton Wife and Cotton Husband aren’t huggy pillows, they’re life partners for the lonely!
- Sick of BABYMETAL? How about some sumo metal!
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】
- Artist magically transforms Sailor Moon characters into black women
- Blogger offers four pieces of advice for foreign women looking for love with a Japanese guy