Yujiapu, in China’s Tianjin Binhai New Area, was modeled on Manhattan and expected to become the financial center of the world. But it languishes as many wasteful Chinese ghost cities have. At one point it was reported that the Juilliard School had signed an agreement to set up an institute in Yujiapu. And there were plans for a Rockefeller and Lincoln Center as well. But construction in this Manhattan hopeful has ground to a halt.
A replica of the Statue of Liberty in Shenyang, Northeast China, has been making the rounds on Twitter this morning.But this isn’t the first time we’ve seen large-scale replicas of global tourist destinations in China.
The Asian giant with a rich cultural heritage of its own, has also incorporated architectural styles from around the world and in some instances tried to replicate Paris and towns in England.
Shanghai rolled out a “One city, Nine Towns” scheme with small towns built in a different international style.
We compiled 16 spots that China ripped off — admittedly, some of these are part of larger theme parks.
It’s been almost a year since the Windows 8 operating system was released to the general public. Its aim was to combine the convenience of downloadable apps with the familiarity of a PC desktop in a touch-focused environment, giving us what could have been the best of both worlds. Instead, the Win8 app store struggles against its primary competitors, iTunes and the Android app store. It’s doesn’t help that developers focus the majority of their programming prowess on developing apps for the older and more trusted operating systems, iOS and Android.
However, there is one branch of the computer app market where Win8 has a distinct advantage, and that’s its library of highly recognizable rip-offs. Just look at this list of free game apps which make nefarious use of Nintendo’s most popular video game characters!
- Rachel Tackett
May 1, 2013
This is slowly turning out to be quite a week for sightings of unlicensed use of videogame characters. Just yesterday we brought you news of a smartphone game whose lead character looked so much like Nintendo’s green dinosaur Yoshi that the company stepped in and demanded that changes be made, and now our overseas RocketNews24 representative brings us photos of a food vendor in the Philippines whose stand and wares are plastered with a name and character that bear an uncanny likeness to Japan’s beloved dot-munching arcade hero, Pac-Man!
This boxed chocolates vendor was spotted selling from a small booth in the middle of a shopping center in the Philippines’ capital city of Manila. Unless the vendor is somehow affiliated with Namco, this has got to be brand theft! Smelling a story among all of the tasty-looking sweets, our courageous reporter went forth and confronted the sales clerk. Read More
- Master Blaster
Apr 11, 2013
The music industry is full of allegations of plagiarism. Melodies and samples used intentionally or accidentally can land artists in a heap of trouble. One such case broke out last night between two bands — one Japanese and one Australian — not over the music but their nearly identical music videos.
Paying Just $11 a Day, Subcontractors Ripping Off Fukushima Nuclear Accident Decontamination Workers
- John Stuart Translations
Jan 15, 2013
The Tokyo Shimbun has discovered that workers involved with national government controlled cleanup projects resulting from the accident at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant are being ripped off by subcontractors.
Despite being able to rent lodging facilities from the government and others for free or for very little money, contractors forcibly deduct inflated accommodation and meal charges from workers’ pay. When the 10,000 yen (US$111) a day “danger pay” provided to contractors by the government (read: taxpayers) is taken into consideration, it means the contractors themselves end up forking out a measly 1,000 yen (US$11) a day per worker.
For the Osaka otaku with cash burning a hole in their pocket, Nipponbashi is the place to be. Also known as Den-Den Town, this shopping district specializes in whatever nerdy obsession you have from vintage 1985 video games to knives that look like they came from a Klingon’s rec room.
The highest concentration of these shops can be found next to the main street in a lane known as Ota-Road (otaku road). Here among the crowded shops you can find extra treats like street performers (I once saw a one-man death metal band perform) and girls in maid outfits handing out flyers for the 30 plus maid cafés packed around this 300-meter strip of asphalt.
While these young women may help the wonderfully absurd ambiance of Ota-Road they may also be violating Japan’s Businesses Affecting Public Morals Regulation Law (mercifully shortened to the less redundant Fueiho), the law regulating the sex industry in the country.
A lucky Twitter user came across a pamphlet the other day outlining some great deals on smartphone services. These people will go through the painstaking task of installing your smartphone apps for you at the low low price of 1,000 yen (US$12) an app!
In fact, they offer a wide range of useful services, such as installing Facebook, Twitter, or Skype— also for 1,000 yen each! And I always thought those were apps too. Boy, is my face red. I’m going to leave it to the professionals from now on.
Rip-off or Coincidence? Tokyo University Students Win Prize for Video Remarkably Similar to Well-Known 2010 Creation
- Philip Kendall
Nov 9, 2012
If no-one ever copied anyone else, fire would have died along with the first humans to create it. Social creatures that we are, human beings copy, modify and improve what has gone before in order to succeed; it’s just a part of life.
But when it comes to artistic creation, borrowing ideas from another person’s work isn’t usually looked on quite so favourably.
In September this year, a group of students from a Tokyo university received the first prize in the Shinjuku Creators Festa 2012 for a short film that shares more than a passing resemblance to Pixels, a video created by French film creator Patrick Jean in 2010.
Whether intentional or not, the similarities between the two creations are startling, land have led to an online debate, with many calling the young team’s work “a simple rip-off”…
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Japanese illustrator imagines girls as birds, creates new stereotype genre – “Bird Type Girls”3
- Can you unlock your new iPhone 6 Plus with your nipple? We can! 【Video】4
- What your favorite sushi says about your income5
- Japanese Salaryman vs. American Salesman: Are they really this different?6
- The cosplay of Tokyo Game Show 2014 【Photos】7
- Man vs. Beast! Competitive eater Kobayashi takes on hamster in hot dog-eating contest 【Video】8
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea9
- Ao-nyan: Japan’s super-feminine model who’s, yes, actually a guy 【Photos】10
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls1
- You’re in for a big surprise if you fall for this bikini wearing DJ’s sexy poster!【Photos】2
- Korean cosmetic surgery show treats two Thai women to free procedures3
- Lifehack: Transform a Starbucks paper bag into a fully functional wallet!4
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star5
- Chinese university gets hot new Japanese teacher; internet goes crazy6
- Ao-nyan: Japan’s super-feminine model who’s, yes, actually a guy 【Photos】7
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!8
- Young Chinese entrepreneur tries marketing menstrual pads to men, gets heavy cash flow9
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later3
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons4
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady5
- Hello Kitty isn’t a cat!? We called Sanrio to find out!6
- Lifehack: Transform a Starbucks paper bag into a fully functional wallet!7
- Scholars confirm first discovery of Japanese sword from master bladesmith Masamune in 150 years8
- Taiwanese Tsunade cosplayer sparks debate about public decency at events9
- Japanese actor’s unfortunate choice of t-shirt has net users amused, doubting his English ability10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】2
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star3
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls4
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker5
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later6
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons7
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady8
- The clever way Japanese drivers thank each other without saying a word【Video】9
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!10
- Japanese Salaryman vs. American Salesman: Are they really this different?
- The cosplay of Tokyo Game Show 2014 【Photos】
- Man vs. Beast! Competitive eater Kobayashi takes on hamster in hot dog-eating contest 【Video】
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea
- Ao-nyan: Japan’s super-feminine model who’s, yes, actually a guy 【Photos】
- Horsemeat sushi: For when you’re tired of spicy tuna and California rolls
- China’s Special Forces in Hong Kong go through a ridiculous training regimen
- School kids in Japan build incredible working tea cup rides for school festivals
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!
- Lifehack: Transform a Starbucks paper bag into a fully functional wallet!
- Tokyo Disney Sea adds pitch-black sausage, other spooky treats for Halloween
- These two “mad girls” from China are putting us in stitches with their crazy antics!【GIFs】