What started off as a basic robbery attempt turned into a mortifying experience for one wannabe robber in Fukuoka Prefecture. Seriously, either the konbini gods were conspiring against him or he met his ultimate match in an old woman, but either way, his attempt at crime was completely foiled thanks to an unusual series of events.
Besides great sushi, great customer service and ubiquitous vending machines, another great thing about living in Japan is the relatively low crime rate there. Although the country certainly has its criminals (including very cute and cuddly ones), visitors, tourists and expats in Japan routinely extol how Japanese culture has created a society where even a wallet full of cash will be returned to its owner most of the time. After hearing about Japan’s reputation for being an honest, rule-abiding country, a Saudi Arabian TV show created a social experiment to see what would happen when they left a very conspicuous wallet on the busy streets of Tokyo.
Feb 25, 2014
An unidentified Chinese man in his thirties or forties stole an alligator coat valued at approximately $128,000 from a Hong Kong Burberry store by putting it on and just walking out the front door on Wednesday, authorities told South China Morning Post.
Jan 7, 2013
Remember the bank robber who waited on the sofa at the request of his “victim” tellers? He may have competition for most polite criminal with a 23-year-old woman from the rural town of Noto, Japan.
In fact, her attempt at armed robbery of a convenience store was so gentle police are currently unsure what charges they can press.
Back in high school, the best my friends and I could come up with to cause a ruckus was a little underage drinking, but kids these days can manage to bring countries to the brink of war with their shenanigans. Lawless whippersnappers!
Oct 7, 2012
For those of you who enjoy playing the lottery, here’s a story that should help put your odds of winning in perspective.
Last December, painter Shigeru Aikoh was arrested from robbing a Kushikatsu (deep fried snacks) restaurant in Settsu, Osaka. However, prefectural police later discovered he was a part of a four man group responsible for a year-long crime spree around the prefecture totaling 4.5 million yen (US$572,000).
However, much to Aikoh’s dismay a fair chunk of that loot had turned out to be totally worthless.
Have you ever wondered why some people are massive jerks? Occasionally you’ll come across someone who just seems to loath everyone and is a misery to be around. You figure that something terrible must have happened in the person’s past to make them that way.
During a truck accident on a highway in Lanzhou, China, one of these people may have just been created when a driver had his whole cargo of grapes stolen by an entire community.
- Our Japanese reporter visits an American sushi restaurant in Japan1
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours2
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters3
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute4
- “Common habits of Japan’s low earners”: What this survey tells us, and what it doesn’t5
- Question reveals how foreigners feel about speaking Japanese, getting English in return6
- The top 10 spots in Tokyo to make an anime pilgrimage7
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world8
- “We don’t want to be girls. We just want to be cute!” The future of crossdressing in Osaka9
- New Lotte chewing gum promotion features cool guys to suit every taste10
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours1
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make2
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world3
- Budding Japanese student artists impress us with chalkboard works of art4
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer5
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters6
- Japanese sleep experts say we’ve been using our blankets wrong, help us hate winter a little less7
- Live-action Attack on Titan posters show new characters and weapons, plus one huge absence8
- Controversial pick-up artist breaks silence as campaign against him continues9
- Cat got your tongue? 10 unusual Japanese phrases that use the word ‘cat’10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises5
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit6
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make7
- One Piece manga sends off Naruto with a classy secret message8
- Clever Japanese pet owners find perfect cat beds…at IKEA! 【Photos】9
- Just a bunch of adorable cats riding on trains in Japan10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher3
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”4
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】5
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China6
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later7
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons8
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea9
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked10
- Question reveals how foreigners feel about speaking Japanese, getting English in return
- The top 10 spots in Tokyo to make an anime pilgrimage
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world
- “We don’t want to be girls. We just want to be cute!” The future of crossdressing in Osaka
- New Lotte chewing gum promotion features cool guys to suit every taste
- Live-action Attack on Titan posters show new characters and weapons, plus one huge absence
- Who knew frozen apples could taste so good!: Simple dessert recipe for the diet-conscious
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer
- Japanese dictionary removes heteronormative definitions of love and sex
- Cat got your tongue? 10 unusual Japanese phrases that use the word ‘cat’
- Beautiful faces and floors – Five great ways to reuse the water from rinsing rice
- Endangered critters in China get health check, diagnosed with acute cuteness 【Photos】
- We don’t know what Vanadium is either, but Asahi put it in a drink for you anyway