Besides great sushi, great customer service and ubiquitous vending machines, another great thing about living in Japan is the relatively low crime rate there. Although the country certainly has its criminals (including very cute and cuddly ones), visitors, tourists and expats in Japan routinely extol how Japanese culture has created a society where even a wallet full of cash will be returned to its owner most of the time. After hearing about Japan’s reputation for being an honest, rule-abiding country, a Saudi Arabian TV show created a social experiment to see what would happen when they left a very conspicuous wallet on the busy streets of Tokyo.
- BUSINESS INSIDER
Feb 25, 2014
An unidentified Chinese man in his thirties or forties stole an alligator coat valued at approximately $128,000 from a Hong Kong Burberry store by putting it on and just walking out the front door on Wednesday, authorities told South China Morning Post.
- Master Blaster
Jan 7, 2013
Remember the bank robber who waited on the sofa at the request of his “victim” tellers? He may have competition for most polite criminal with a 23-year-old woman from the rural town of Noto, Japan.
In fact, her attempt at armed robbery of a convenience store was so gentle police are currently unsure what charges they can press.
Back in high school, the best my friends and I could come up with to cause a ruckus was a little underage drinking, but kids these days can manage to bring countries to the brink of war with their shenanigans. Lawless whippersnappers!
- Master Blaster
Oct 7, 2012
For those of you who enjoy playing the lottery, here’s a story that should help put your odds of winning in perspective.
Last December, painter Shigeru Aikoh was arrested from robbing a Kushikatsu (deep fried snacks) restaurant in Settsu, Osaka. However, prefectural police later discovered he was a part of a four man group responsible for a year-long crime spree around the prefecture totaling 4.5 million yen (US$572,000).
However, much to Aikoh’s dismay a fair chunk of that loot had turned out to be totally worthless.
Have you ever wondered why some people are massive jerks? Occasionally you’ll come across someone who just seems to loath everyone and is a misery to be around. You figure that something terrible must have happened in the person’s past to make them that way.
During a truck accident on a highway in Lanzhou, China, one of these people may have just been created when a driver had his whole cargo of grapes stolen by an entire community.
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight1
- This watermelon might be the most disappointing thing you see today2
- 16-year-old girl arrested for beheading classmate in Japan’s Nagasaki Prefecture3
- Two people tragically die after Chinese woman drops her cell phone into a cesspool4
- Ryokan etiquette: What not to do when staying at a traditional Japanese inn5
- The planned “Great Ice Wall” to contain Fukushima Dai-Ichi nuclear plant isn’t freezing6
- If an onigiri and a cheesegurger had a baby, it’d be a Bakudan Musubi7
- Vietnamese man, angry at wife, hatches bizarre revenge scheme: Cut off his own penis8
- Gintama’s protagonist as envisioned by fujoshi: blushing, bare-chested, and super voluptuous!9
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker10
- Gamer discovers his deceased father’s ghost on an old Xbox game, challenges it to a race1
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight2
- Internet survey sheds light on how Japanese women deal with the hair ‘down there’3
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker4
- 16-year-old girl arrested for beheading classmate in Japan’s Nagasaki Prefecture5
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old to raise her to be his “ideal girl”6
- Five amazing Japanese Starbucks locations that let you keep sightseeing as you take a break7
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman8
- This watermelon might be the most disappointing thing you see today9
- 10 obscure Japanese vending machine drinks that fly under the beverage radar10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】6
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land7
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic8
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!9
- Guitarist perfectly recreates disgraced Japanese politician’s uncontrollable sobbing【Video】10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- What if Sailor Moon characters were lingerie models? They’d look stunning like this 【Photos】9
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】10
- The planned “Great Ice Wall” to contain Fukushima Dai-Ichi nuclear plant isn’t freezing
- If an onigiri and a cheesegurger had a baby, it’d be a Bakudan Musubi
- Vietnamese man, angry at wife, hatches bizarre revenge scheme: Cut off his own penis
- Gintama’s protagonist as envisioned by fujoshi: blushing, bare-chested, and super voluptuous!
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- Our reporter goes looking for fans at Comic-Con…in his Sailor Venus cosplay outfit
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!
- Get the most out of your visit to Japan with these tourist-only deals 【Ninja Life Skills】
- Japanese netizens lament over the long, but sad life of sea urchins
- 10 obscure Japanese vending machine drinks that fly under the beverage radar
- Get your chills on the rails with Kyoto’s Ghost Train 【Video】
- “Joke” site demonstrates the cruelty of cyberbullying, makes us wet our pants
- Son refuses to see mom because she’s “too ugly”, but is that the whole story?
- The amazing cosplayers of (the first two days of) Comic-Con 2014