There’s something about tales of inept criminality that we just can’t resist, especially when it seems like a case of fate conspiring against the wrong-doer. Like the man arrested for robbery in China’s Shandong province on Thursday who was on his way back from a temple, having gone to give thanks for not being caught.
Aug 2, 2014
What started off as a basic robbery attempt turned into a mortifying experience for one wannabe robber in Fukuoka Prefecture. Seriously, either the konbini gods were conspiring against him or he met his ultimate match in an old woman, but either way, his attempt at crime was completely foiled thanks to an unusual series of events.
Besides great sushi, great customer service and ubiquitous vending machines, another great thing about living in Japan is the relatively low crime rate there. Although the country certainly has its criminals (including very cute and cuddly ones), visitors, tourists and expats in Japan routinely extol how Japanese culture has created a society where even a wallet full of cash will be returned to its owner most of the time. After hearing about Japan’s reputation for being an honest, rule-abiding country, a Saudi Arabian TV show created a social experiment to see what would happen when they left a very conspicuous wallet on the busy streets of Tokyo.
Feb 25, 2014
An unidentified Chinese man in his thirties or forties stole an alligator coat valued at approximately $128,000 from a Hong Kong Burberry store by putting it on and just walking out the front door on Wednesday, authorities told South China Morning Post.
Jan 7, 2013
Remember the bank robber who waited on the sofa at the request of his “victim” tellers? He may have competition for most polite criminal with a 23-year-old woman from the rural town of Noto, Japan.
In fact, her attempt at armed robbery of a convenience store was so gentle police are currently unsure what charges they can press.
Back in high school, the best my friends and I could come up with to cause a ruckus was a little underage drinking, but kids these days can manage to bring countries to the brink of war with their shenanigans. Lawless whippersnappers!
Oct 7, 2012
For those of you who enjoy playing the lottery, here’s a story that should help put your odds of winning in perspective.
Last December, painter Shigeru Aikoh was arrested from robbing a Kushikatsu (deep fried snacks) restaurant in Settsu, Osaka. However, prefectural police later discovered he was a part of a four man group responsible for a year-long crime spree around the prefecture totaling 4.5 million yen (US$572,000).
However, much to Aikoh’s dismay a fair chunk of that loot had turned out to be totally worthless.
Have you ever wondered why some people are massive jerks? Occasionally you’ll come across someone who just seems to loath everyone and is a misery to be around. You figure that something terrible must have happened in the person’s past to make them that way.
During a truck accident on a highway in Lanzhou, China, one of these people may have just been created when a driver had his whole cargo of grapes stolen by an entire community.
- Ready to tie the anime knot? Company offers marriage certificate for you and your 2D waifu1
- Don’t believe in the magic of the 100 yen store? This product will seal the deal!2
- Flipping the kanji for “husband” upside-down reveals slightly worrying double meaning3
- Too busy to wrap Christmas presents? Not if you’ve got 12 seconds, Japanese store shows【Video】4
- Unhinged Japanese boyband fan stalks “rival” on Twitter, demands they delete their account5
- Japanese makeup artist does classic Hollywood glamour, recreates Audrey Hepburn’s coveted look6
- Japan’s premier beatboxer sets YouTube ablaze, annoys fans with lack of beatboxing7
- One more time! Anime fans choose the series they’d most like to see rerun on TV8
- 10 slightly strange Christmas trees from Japan9
- Latest evolution of Pokémon cafe to open in Shibuya this January10
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】1
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood2
- Life imitates (Sword) Art (Online) as Japanese gamers find they can’t log out of online RPG3
- Character images of new Digimon Adventure series released, expected to air in spring 20154
- Ready to tie the anime knot? Company offers marriage certificate for you and your 2D waifu5
- Artist magically transforms Sailor Moon characters into black women6
- Japan’s cutest rodent commuters take the high-road【Video】7
- Our hero Ladybeard shows us and the world how to properly wear the much-talked about boob shirt8
- Too busy to wrap Christmas presents? Not if you’ve got 12 seconds, Japanese store shows【Video】9
- How humanity ends: Virtual reality headset hooked up to Tenga love cup for men 【Video】10
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood1
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin2
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】3
- How to say “I love you” in Japanese – 47 different ways 【Videos】4
- Japanese man proposes to girlfriend with Guinness World Record-winning GPS drawing5
- Historic Kyoto temple first in Japan to offer gay weddings6
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!7
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】8
- Hayao Miyazaki comments on Chihiro’s final test scene in Spirited Away9
- Fashion gone wrong? Boob shirts take Twitter by storm10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】3
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China4
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood5
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin6
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked7
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours8
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】9
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school10
- Japanese makeup artist does classic Hollywood glamour, recreates Audrey Hepburn’s coveted look
- Japan’s premier beatboxer sets YouTube ablaze, annoys fans with lack of beatboxing
- One more time! Anime fans choose the series they’d most like to see rerun on TV
- 10 slightly strange Christmas trees from Japan
- Latest evolution of Pokémon cafe to open in Shibuya this January
- New Evangelion short film now streaming on animation studio’s website
- Truck driver hailed as “hero” for cutting off car on wet highway
- 11 never-ending hypnotic GIFs that just made a portion of our weekend disappear mysteriously
- Clever cat duo cause havoc in the bathroom but are too cute to scold
- Tips from Japan to make your skin extra beautiful! It begins with a bath and…
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- Piccolo saves Christmas when he’s not saving Namekians