On Tuesday evening, commuters at Urawa Station in Saitama Prefecture were in for a bit of a shock when an abandoned piece of corrugated cardboard suddenly burst into flames. The fire was soon extinguished by station attendants, but the question remains: what caused the mysterious incident?
- Master Blaster
Jul 6, 2014
On 2 July at approximately 5:30pm, a group of junior high school students were playing around the banks of the Ara River in Toda City, Saitama Prefecture when they spotted something floating near the river’s edge.
Thinking it was a soccer ball, the trio of 15 year olds began to pull it in with a tree branch. However, upon closer inspection the “soccer ball” turned out to be a human skull.
This horrific discovery has alerted everyone to a grim reality about Saitama Prefecture: it’s sorely lacking in physical education, especially competitive sports. Read More
- Master Blaster
May 25, 2014
For those who woke up in Saitama Prefecture this morning, you might have noticed something particularly pleasant in the air, like the entire region just got a little happier. That’s because on 22 May the Prefectural Police announced that they would be giving refunds and apologies to 2,400 people who were given tickets and demerit points because of an improperly conducted eight-year crackdown on driving violations.
A 7-Eleven convenience store in Kasukabe City, Saitama Prefecture was the scene of a daring late-night armed robbery earlier this week as an unidentified young man held clerks at knife-point and made off with a total of three onigiri rice balls, whose combined value came to approximately 300 yen (US$2.94).
He’d have gotten away with too, if it hadn’t been for the bread delivery guy…
Homeroom, that fateful time of day before real classes start where the teacher calls roll to see which kids successfully rolled out of bed that morning. Some countries don’t have an official “homeroom”. They just call your name and classes begin. But in Japan, homeroom is a whole different beast. And the surprise of one Twitter user at how homeroom is conducted in Saitama Prefecture versus the rest of the country makes for a good laugh, especially because of the comments from other people around Japan.
Saitama man sues police after getting pulled over for picking his ears while driving, wins about three bucks
- Master Blaster
Jan 2, 2014
In the middle of this month, 41-year-old Kazunori Terashima must have felt some sense of satisfaction as his bankbook showed a transfer of 350 yen (US$3.33) from the Saitama Public Safety Commission. After struggling against the police for two and a half years over an improper traffic stop he had finally won his inalienable right to clean his ear in traffic.
We all have our vices. Some like a drink or a smoke while others fancy a wager on the ponies every now and again. No matter who you are there’s something you rely on to help get you through the day.
As bad as those previously mentioned habits might be, at least they don’t involve assault charges. The same can’t be said for one middle-aged man arrested for allegedly indulging in his irresistible pastime of throwing cups of urine at women from his car. If they don’t have a rehab for that one yet, they really should get on it.
- John Stuart Translations
Jul 3, 2013
Bringing commuters to Tokyo from neighboring Saitama Prefecture, the Saikyo Line, operated by the East Japan Railway Company (JR East), is one of the busiest in the metropolitan area. During morning rush hour its trains are packed to 200 percent capacity. On June 30, however, E233 Series trains were introduced to the line, and officials are hoping the new carriages, which are a whole 15cm wider, will reduce crowding by ten percent.
That’s right. Now instead of having to endure bone-crushing, suffocating, sucking-the-will-to-live commutes in trains packed to 200 percent capacity, riders will be able to breathe, and perhaps move just a little, while enjoying the relative luxury of a train crammed to just 190 percent capacity!
Saitama Prefecture might be known abroad for its connection to famous anime like Lucky Star and Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day, but it’s better known in traditional art circles as a modern center for bonsai, the ancient practice of cultivating miniature trees. In fact, there is even a section of Saitama City called Bonsai Village that was once selected by the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism as one of the 100 most scenic towns in Japan.
The prefecture has now created a smartphone game called Twit Bonsai to promote Saitama’s bonsai attractions, and although you may think pruning a virtual tree sounds like the height of boredom, the app is gaining an unexpectedly enthusiastic following. Read More
Beautiful Japanese City Councilor: “I don’t wash my face or go to the bathroom”. Loses Job, Might be a Yakuza Alien.
Aug 17, 2012
Asuka Tachikawa, 27, famous for being a “beautiful city councilor,” has had pressure put on her to quit her job because she is actually an alien in disguise trying to ruin the city of Niizu in Saitama (near Tokyo).
Elected as a city councilor in February this year, the Saitama Prefectural Electoral Office has decided that her election is invalid because she may not have lived in the city for more than the required 3 months. In other words, she is an alien.
But what evidence do they have?
- Mac Denny
Apr 10, 2012
Cosmetics website “LC love cosmetic” (www.lovecosmetic.jp) shared the results of a quick-and-dirty survey it conducted about women’s bust sizes, and the surprising facts are certain to titillate men (and women) with certain – ahem – outsized preferences.
The website, which bills itself as being “for two persons who love,” posted a list of Japan’s 47 prefectures arranged by average cup size, and for persons who love two large, shining orbs, there are no better places in Japan than Gifu and Kyoto Prefectures, where E is the norm.
For those who don’t like speed bumps between themselves and their lovers, Saitama Prefecture and its A-cup average beckon. The national average fell between B- and C-cups, with a majority of prefectures in East Japan at B and a majority of those in West Japan at C. Read More
The Japanese Internet is erupting with debate over whether newly elected 26-year-old Niiza City Councilwoman Asuka Tachikawa is more beautiful than Hachinohe City Councilwoman Yuri Fujikawa, previously dubbed “too hot for city council.”
- Some flights are more cramped than others – 29 sumo wrestlers pack into one tiny plane1
- Guitarist perfectly recreates disgraced Japanese politician’s uncontrollable sobbing【Video】2
- Peaches packaged in pairs of panties provoke protests in PRC3
- McDonald’s Japan just released Tofu Nuggets, and they taste… 【Taste Test】4
- How to properly pronounce “Ghibli” and other fun trivia about the legendary animation studio5
- Basement Jaxx’s bizarre Japan-based music video freaks us out, makes us want to dance6
- BABYMETAL plays first ever US show, bootleg videos leave us wowed7
- Man in China steps into “royal rumble” to save the day, maybe goes a bit too far【Video】8
- “I know how it’s done!”: Japanese TV guest learns what not to say to a magician on live TV【Video】9
- Pikachus overrunning Yokohama in the cutest rodent invasion ever 【Video】10
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight1
- 16-year-old girl arrested for beheading classmate in Japan’s Nagasaki Prefecture2
- This watermelon might be the most disappointing thing you see today3
- Some flights are more cramped than others – 29 sumo wrestlers pack into one tiny plane4
- Pikachus overrunning Yokohama in the cutest rodent invasion ever 【Video】5
- Vietnamese man, angry at wife, hatches bizarre revenge scheme: Cut off his own penis6
- Hairy armpit selfies have invaded China’s biggest social networking platform【Photos】7
- What turned Tokyo Disneyland into the Loneliest Place on Earth last weekend?8
- Basement Jaxx’s bizarre Japan-based music video freaks us out, makes us want to dance9
- Live-action Attack on Titan confirmed for 2 films10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】6
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight7
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land8
- Guitarist perfectly recreates disgraced Japanese politician’s uncontrollable sobbing【Video】9
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】9
- This amazing water cake just may be the most delicate sweet ever created!10
- Basement Jaxx’s bizarre Japan-based music video freaks us out, makes us want to dance
- BABYMETAL plays first ever US show, bootleg videos leave us wowed
- Man in China steps into “royal rumble” to save the day, maybe goes a bit too far【Video】
- “I know how it’s done!”: Japanese TV guest learns what not to say to a magician on live TV【Video】
- Pikachus overrunning Yokohama in the cutest rodent invasion ever 【Video】
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- Japanese deodorant sheets for ladies smell so nice some guys don’t need the actual girl
- Amazing Game Boy smartphone wallpaper brings out the Nintendo fanboy in us all
- Mysterious fire materializes inside Saitama train station on Tuesday
- Live-action Attack on Titan confirmed for 2 films
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!
- Cat paw parasol keeps you cool, changes color to remind you to put on sunscreen
- Want a bit of One Piece magic? This real-looking Devil Fruit is sure to set the right mood!