Its popularity may be dwindling in today’s world of ultra-rich football and baseball teams and their players, but there’s something wonderfully dignified, almost majestic, about sumo. And as one photograph shared last weekend by the Japan Sumo Association shows, there is perhaps even more magic to be seen if only we could all just slow down and open our eyes a little more often.
Regular readers may be aware that we’ve done a fair amount of reporting recently on the unrelenting heat here in Japan and on ways to battle the sweltering temperatures. Naturally, eating cold or frozen snacks is one way to cool down, but now major Japanese dairy manufacturer Morinaga Milk Industry Co., Ltd. has now come out with an ice cream with a special ingredient that does more than keep you cool. The secret is a special ingredient that, although commonly used in cooking, is not what you would typically expect to find in an ice cream!
I freaking knew it!
Spaghetti and other pasta recipes have repeatedly asked us to “boil with salt” – a rule that has always baffled me. Once, early on in my cooking life, I decided to be a good boy and add the salt as requested only to find that it didn’t make a lick of difference to the end result. I haven’t looked back since.
In an interview with website, President Online, Tokyo Kasei University Graduate School of Home Economics, Keiko Nagao, puts this myth of boiling with salt to rest once and for all, thus saving us from a needless cooking step. Read More
French fries, or “furaido potato”, as they are called here in Japan, are the standard side order to all kinds of fast food. Which fast food shop has the best tasting fries in Japan? My Navi News decided to find out by canvassing 1000 working men and women from the ages of 22 to 32 on Japanese social networking service Mixi.
The results show the top fast food shops ranked by their french fries along with a few select comments from those polled. Their occupations and genders are also shown and although there may not be any direct correlation in occupation to french fry tastes, their education does suggest a discerning taste in french fry eating. The gender of the people taking the survey appears to have absolutely no significance except that ‘gender role-happy’ Japan cares about such information.
The survey was conducted by simply asking, “Which fast food restaurant makes the best french fries?”
And the winners are… Read More
Pepsi Highlights Underground Worldwide Fruit Trend with Their Newest Designer Flavor, “Salty Watermelon”
- Master Blaster
May 30, 2012
The newest in a line of seasonal limited edition Pepsi flavors has been announced by Japanese distributor Suntory. Set to debut on 24 July is the red-colored Pepsi: Salty Watermelon. Hopefully this is as awesome as Pepsi: Pink was.
But after reading the announcement I had to do a double-take. The watermelon’s salty?
- Internet survey sheds light on how Japanese women deal with the hair ‘down there’1
- Beautiful 400-year-old garden in Okayama about to be replaced with condominium complex2
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker3
- Gamer discovers his deceased father’s ghost on an old Xbox game, challenges it to a race4
- Nara’s deer continue their summertime tradition of commandeering one of the city’s streets5
- Five amazing Japanese Starbucks locations that let you keep sightseeing as you take a break6
- Toyokazu Nagano’s “Magic Road” – the funniest, most adorable photos you’ll see today7
- Too hot during the blackout? Cool down with an electric fan, veteran newscaster suggests8
- Raising awareness in the competitive gaming community – two female perspectives9
- Japanese Twitter users report an increase in ninja cat sightings as summer settles in【Photos】10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Creative pet “haircuts”: Funky or funny? You decide.2
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman3
- This man’s face left Chinese internet users in amazement, agony and confusion 【Photos】4
- Gamer discovers his deceased father’s ghost on an old Xbox game, challenges it to a race5
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old to raise her to be his “ideal girl”6
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!7
- Internet survey sheds light on how Japanese women deal with the hair ‘down there’8
- More than one way to skin a cat? Japanese YouTuber shows how to “open” a cat with belly rubs9
- Is Attack on Titan a documentary? Mikasa spotted in Russia!10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】6
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land7
- 16 photos that show why Singapore has the world’s best airline8
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic9
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- What if Sailor Moon characters were lingerie models? They’d look stunning like this 【Photos】9
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】10
- Five amazing Japanese Starbucks locations that let you keep sightseeing as you take a break
- Toyokazu Nagano’s “Magic Road” – the funniest, most adorable photos you’ll see today
- Too hot during the blackout? Cool down with an electric fan, veteran newscaster suggests
- Raising awareness in the competitive gaming community – two female perspectives
- Japanese Twitter users report an increase in ninja cat sightings as summer settles in【Photos】
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!
- Actress/sexpert Aya Sugimoto founds organization for animal welfare in Japan
- Godzilla looms over Tokyo garden
- International survey finds that 90% are open to a romantic encounter with a Korean partner
- Run For Your Lives! Zombie-infested obstacle course heading to Singapore this October【Video】
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman
- Korean drama advances slap technology with ancient Korean recipe
- Japanese critic shares his (kinda weird) views on Japanese vs Western adult entertainment
- “Black Cat” delivery company uses pawprint gloves to ensure packages are handled with cute