Its popularity may be dwindling in today’s world of ultra-rich football and baseball teams and their players, but there’s something wonderfully dignified, almost majestic, about sumo. And as one photograph shared last weekend by the Japan Sumo Association shows, there is perhaps even more magic to be seen if only we could all just slow down and open our eyes a little more often.
Regular readers may be aware that we’ve done a fair amount of reporting recently on the unrelenting heat here in Japan and on ways to battle the sweltering temperatures. Naturally, eating cold or frozen snacks is one way to cool down, but now major Japanese dairy manufacturer Morinaga Milk Industry Co., Ltd. has now come out with an ice cream with a special ingredient that does more than keep you cool. The secret is a special ingredient that, although commonly used in cooking, is not what you would typically expect to find in an ice cream!
I freaking knew it!
Spaghetti and other pasta recipes have repeatedly asked us to “boil with salt” – a rule that has always baffled me. Once, early on in my cooking life, I decided to be a good boy and add the salt as requested only to find that it didn’t make a lick of difference to the end result. I haven’t looked back since.
In an interview with website, President Online, Tokyo Kasei University Graduate School of Home Economics, Keiko Nagao, puts this myth of boiling with salt to rest once and for all, thus saving us from a needless cooking step. Read More
French fries, or “furaido potato”, as they are called here in Japan, are the standard side order to all kinds of fast food. Which fast food shop has the best tasting fries in Japan? My Navi News decided to find out by canvassing 1000 working men and women from the ages of 22 to 32 on Japanese social networking service Mixi.
The results show the top fast food shops ranked by their french fries along with a few select comments from those polled. Their occupations and genders are also shown and although there may not be any direct correlation in occupation to french fry tastes, their education does suggest a discerning taste in french fry eating. The gender of the people taking the survey appears to have absolutely no significance except that ‘gender role-happy’ Japan cares about such information.
The survey was conducted by simply asking, “Which fast food restaurant makes the best french fries?”
And the winners are… Read More
Pepsi Highlights Underground Worldwide Fruit Trend with Their Newest Designer Flavor, “Salty Watermelon”
May 30, 2012
The newest in a line of seasonal limited edition Pepsi flavors has been announced by Japanese distributor Suntory. Set to debut on 24 July is the red-colored Pepsi: Salty Watermelon. Hopefully this is as awesome as Pepsi: Pink was.
But after reading the announcement I had to do a double-take. The watermelon’s salty?
- Truck driver hailed as “hero” for cutting off car on wet highway1
- Ready to tie the anime knot? Company offers marriage certificate for you and your 2D waifu2
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea3
- Don’t believe in the magic of the 100 yen store? This product will seal the deal!4
- Sharp’s awesome new display tech licensed to Nintendo… who may not even use it for games5
- Toilet slides and turd hats: welcome to Tokyo’s crappiest exhibition6
- Pokémon fans’ heads exploding over guy’s classic Game Boy makeover video7
- Too busy to wrap Christmas presents? Not if you’ve got 12 seconds, Japanese store shows【Video】8
- 10 slightly strange Christmas trees from Japan9
- Latest evolution of Pokémon cafe to open in Shibuya this January10
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】1
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood2
- Ready to tie the anime knot? Company offers marriage certificate for you and your 2D waifu3
- Life imitates (Sword) Art (Online) as Japanese gamers find they can’t log out of online RPG4
- Character images of new Digimon Adventure series released, expected to air in spring 20155
- Artist magically transforms Sailor Moon characters into black women6
- Too busy to wrap Christmas presents? Not if you’ve got 12 seconds, Japanese store shows【Video】7
- Japan’s cutest rodent commuters take the high-road【Video】8
- Our hero Ladybeard shows us and the world how to properly wear the much-talked about boob shirt9
- How humanity ends: Virtual reality headset hooked up to Tenga love cup for men 【Video】10
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood1
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin2
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】3
- How to say “I love you” in Japanese – 47 different ways 【Videos】4
- Japanese man proposes to girlfriend with Guinness World Record-winning GPS drawing5
- Historic Kyoto temple first in Japan to offer gay weddings6
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!7
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】8
- Hayao Miyazaki comments on Chihiro’s final test scene in Spirited Away9
- Fashion gone wrong? Boob shirts take Twitter by storm10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】3
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China4
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood5
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin6
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked7
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours8
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】9
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school10
- Toilet slides and turd hats: welcome to Tokyo’s crappiest exhibition
- Pokémon fans’ heads exploding over guy’s classic Game Boy makeover video
- Too busy to wrap Christmas presents? Not if you’ve got 12 seconds, Japanese store shows【Video】
- 10 slightly strange Christmas trees from Japan
- Latest evolution of Pokémon cafe to open in Shibuya this January
- Japanese makeup artist does classic Hollywood glamour, recreates Audrey Hepburn’s coveted look
- Self-healing glasses on sale next year
- Flipping the kanji for “husband” upside-down reveals slightly worrying double meaning
- Why making kids cry on camera never gets old
- Can’t cope with the feeding frenzy at meal times? Why not stack your cats!
- Unhinged Japanese boyband fan stalks “rival” on Twitter, demands they delete their account
- 11 never-ending hypnotic GIFs that just made a portion of our weekend disappear mysteriously
- Sick of BABYMETAL? How about some sumo metal!