Its popularity may be dwindling in today’s world of ultra-rich football and baseball teams and their players, but there’s something wonderfully dignified, almost majestic, about sumo. And as one photograph shared last weekend by the Japan Sumo Association shows, there is perhaps even more magic to be seen if only we could all just slow down and open our eyes a little more often.
Regular readers may be aware that we’ve done a fair amount of reporting recently on the unrelenting heat here in Japan and on ways to battle the sweltering temperatures. Naturally, eating cold or frozen snacks is one way to cool down, but now major Japanese dairy manufacturer Morinaga Milk Industry Co., Ltd. has now come out with an ice cream with a special ingredient that does more than keep you cool. The secret is a special ingredient that, although commonly used in cooking, is not what you would typically expect to find in an ice cream!
I freaking knew it!
Spaghetti and other pasta recipes have repeatedly asked us to “boil with salt” – a rule that has always baffled me. Once, early on in my cooking life, I decided to be a good boy and add the salt as requested only to find that it didn’t make a lick of difference to the end result. I haven’t looked back since.
In an interview with website, President Online, Tokyo Kasei University Graduate School of Home Economics, Keiko Nagao, puts this myth of boiling with salt to rest once and for all, thus saving us from a needless cooking step. Read More
French fries, or “furaido potato”, as they are called here in Japan, are the standard side order to all kinds of fast food. Which fast food shop has the best tasting fries in Japan? My Navi News decided to find out by canvassing 1000 working men and women from the ages of 22 to 32 on Japanese social networking service Mixi.
The results show the top fast food shops ranked by their french fries along with a few select comments from those polled. Their occupations and genders are also shown and although there may not be any direct correlation in occupation to french fry tastes, their education does suggest a discerning taste in french fry eating. The gender of the people taking the survey appears to have absolutely no significance except that ‘gender role-happy’ Japan cares about such information.
The survey was conducted by simply asking, “Which fast food restaurant makes the best french fries?”
And the winners are… Read More
Pepsi Highlights Underground Worldwide Fruit Trend with Their Newest Designer Flavor, “Salty Watermelon”
- Master Blaster
May 30, 2012
The newest in a line of seasonal limited edition Pepsi flavors has been announced by Japanese distributor Suntory. Set to debut on 24 July is the red-colored Pepsi: Salty Watermelon. Hopefully this is as awesome as Pepsi: Pink was.
But after reading the announcement I had to do a double-take. The watermelon’s salty?
- The top 10 instances when Japanese people feel thankful to be Japanese1
- Plus-size idol group “la BIG 3″ made a music video, and they do a lot of eating in it【Video】2
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea3
- Kabe-zubo! Kabe-zun! The unexpected, highly intense versions of Kabe-don are here!【Photos】4
- Geographical Survey Institute posts 184 images of Mount Ontake eruption online5
- The ultimate spork that’s just for eating ramen6
- 100 things to do in Japan in 100 seconds 【Video】7
- Miranda Kerr’s newest photoshoot for Vogue Japan stirs up controversy8
- Miyako-jima’s Paantu Festival: Traumatizing small children to bring them good luck9
- Traditional Japanese candy gets fancy: Konpeito comes in wine, chocolate, and green tea varieties10
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- We troll a scammer online, make him wish he’d never tried to take our money3
- Japanese women reveal their methods of raising a guy’s bedroom technique4
- Japanese illustrated cookbook teaches you how to cook “mother and daughter”【Photos】5
- The ugly truth of goukon, Japan’s group blind dates6
- Tokyo hamburger vending machine has a human touch7
- Chinese cadet is beautiful enough to make you want to join the army8
- Ghibli anime inspires beautiful cosplay from across the seas 【Photos】9
- The 30 most ‘romantic’ lines that women want to hear (well, according to the Japanese internet)10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady3
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea4
- Lifehack: Transform a Starbucks paper bag into a fully functional wallet!5
- Scholars confirm first discovery of Japanese sword from master bladesmith Masamune in 150 years6
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons7
- Japanese actor’s unfortunate choice of t-shirt has net users amused, doubting his English ability8
- You’re in for a big surprise if you fall for this bikini wearing DJ’s sexy poster!【Photos】9
- Chibatman called in by police, receives their official approval10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】2
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star3
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls4
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later5
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons6
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady9
- The clever way Japanese drivers thank each other without saying a word【Video】10
- The ultimate spork that’s just for eating ramen
- 100 things to do in Japan in 100 seconds 【Video】
- Miranda Kerr’s newest photoshoot for Vogue Japan stirs up controversy
- Miyako-jima’s Paantu Festival: Traumatizing small children to bring them good luck
- Traditional Japanese candy gets fancy: Konpeito comes in wine, chocolate, and green tea varieties
- McDonald’s Japan celebrates Halloween by joining the dark burger revolution
- What, there’s now a specialty burrito shop in Tokyo? Of course, we had to go try it ourselves!
- Fans take love of a certain anime character to creepy heights with real life birthday cakes, etc.
- On living in Japan: Five essential essays from the internet, the greatest library on earth
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- Kyary Pamyu Pamyu plays dress-up in new Nintendo 3DS ad
- Tired of apple? McDonald’s Japan now has anko sweet red bean pies
- “Bye-bye!” Chinese flying doll works a little too well, becomes one-use toy 【Video】