Our faces are not symmetrical, and that’s probably why some selfie lovers spend hours on end getting into odd poses and taking shot after shot in order to find their best angle. Some of us might have entertained the thought of perfecting our appearances to be like dolls or sculptures so that we’d look perfect from every angle. But lo and behold, sculptures have their “photogenic” angles too!
Sep 9, 2014
We’ve all seen a strange work of public art at some point while traveling–you know, that piece that makes you scratch your head and look at it upside-down to try to figure out just what the heck is going on. Fortunately for the residents of San Francisco, they have their very own bizarre–and ginormous–piece of public art to contemplate whenever they feel like it.
Japanese internet users recently stumbled across photos of this particular sculpture created by Chinese artist Zhang Huan and were quick to comment on its unique appearance. One fan even decided that it resembled nothing other than the final boss of a video game. While we’re pretty sure that’s not the interpretation that the artist was going for, the fan’s cleverly manipulated photo still gave us a chuckle.
There is no doubt that life as an artist is difficult. From struggling to hone your craft to fighting for the respect of your peers and the attention of an audience, it’s often seen as a career only pursued by the obsessed. While we’re certain that you don’t need to be insane to be a successful artist, we’re also pretty sure that it doesn’t hurt to be at least a little compulsive in your dedication.
When it comes to driven art, Ono Gaf may fit the archetype to perfection. And if you disagree, you can take it up with that giant, hand-built turtle standing over him! Read More
Good Smile Company, the figure powerhouse behind the popular figma and Nendoroid lines, decided to hold its third figure creation contest for its employees. The entries are impressive, but what do you expect from professional figure makers?
You can check out all the entries at the company’s blog, but here are some of our favorites.
When life give you lemons, make lemonade. When it gives you soggy trash…make a trash man?
Oct 9, 2013
Even the greatest of heroes meet their end eventually, whether they be staff-wielding wizards or portly plumbers. With this incredible sculpture, Polish artist Kordian Lewandowski presents the demise of none other than our favourite 8-bit champion, Super Mario. And as sad as it is, it’s really quite breathtaking.
Sep 30, 2013
Hisashi Fukushima, a 44-year-old man from Hidaka City, was born with a serious learning impediment, but this handicap has in no way gotten the better of him. This truly gifted individual is an awe-inspiring artist with an unbridled passion for the beauty of the railway system. Fukushima’s photographic memory and steady hands have allowed him to recreate many life-like scenes of trains upon their tracks in paintings as well as paper craft. His faithful renditions of Japan’s railways have earned him a number of prizes in art exhibitions, and one glance at his work makes it obvious why! Keep reading for a sample of Hisashi Fukushima’s stellar art portfolio.
It’s one thing to look up into the clouds and see the vague shape of some video game character you recognize or maybe a dinosaur or something. After all, clouds are slow moving and amorphous; you’re bound to see some sort of Rorschach-esque pattern in there. But would you believe that a splash of water might, just for one instant, contain something as awesome as Mario and Yoshi?
Jun 26, 2013
This may look like a stone sculpture, but in fact New York-based artist Long-Bin Chen used nothing but paper to produce the following series of carvings. That’s right, this is actually a stack of phone books, cut, shaped and coloured to form the face of Buddha. Check out the full gallery of Chen’s incredible work after the jump.
Seeing these animals is like looking into a dream! Horned wolves, fire tail foxes and butterfly felines seemingly brought to life thanks to the creative work of American artist, Wood-Splitter-Lee.
Remember the old saying “One man’s trash is another man’s treasure”? Well after you take a look at some of these incredible hand-made sculptures, made entirely from old beers cans, cartons and containers, you might well be reaching for your credit card and heading over to eBay…
Over at Hamster Sokuhou, a thread has exploded with comments of praise and amazement for photos of aluminium can sculptures, produced by one Japanese internet user going by the name of “Makaon”, featuring everything from birds to Ultra Man and Pikachu.
Whoever this Makaon person is, she is very, very talented…
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】1
- Cotton Wife and Cotton Husband aren’t huggy pillows, they’re life partners for the lonely!2
- Commercial reminds Japan’s tired commuters about the drawbacks of living far away from work3
- We head to the Snickers Hungry Barber for a free haircut, worth every penny4
- 【TBT】Chinese bootleg DVDs improve on originals in every way5
- OPPO’s new R5 smartphone is a multi-tool disguised as the thinnest cell phone ever6
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea7
- Artist magically transforms Sailor Moon characters into black women8
- Wish you could check out Tokyo’s Christmas illuminations? Well now you can! 【Video】9
- ‘Parasyte’ opening gets re-animated in the style of the original manga【Video】10
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood1
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】2
- Character images of new Digimon Adventure series released, expected to air in spring 20153
- Chinese dude bags super hot Ukrainian wife, generates major envy online4
- Life imitates (Sword) Art (Online) as Japanese gamers find they can’t log out of online RPG5
- Japan’s cutest rodent commuters take the high-road【Video】6
- Alice in Moeland! Japanese netizens react to art style of new US book cover7
- Our hero Ladybeard shows us and the world how to properly wear the much-talked about boob shirt8
- Artist magically transforms Sailor Moon characters into black women9
- 5 common misconceptions most westerners have about Japanese food10
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood1
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin2
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- How to say “I love you” in Japanese – 47 different ways 【Videos】5
- Japanese man proposes to girlfriend with Guinness World Record-winning GPS drawing6
- Historic Kyoto temple first in Japan to offer gay weddings7
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!8
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】9
- Hayao Miyazaki comments on Chihiro’s final test scene in Spirited Away10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】3
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China4
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood5
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin6
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours9
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】10
- OPPO’s new R5 smartphone is a multi-tool disguised as the thinnest cell phone ever
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea
- Artist magically transforms Sailor Moon characters into black women
- Wish you could check out Tokyo’s Christmas illuminations? Well now you can! 【Video】
- ‘Parasyte’ opening gets re-animated in the style of the original manga【Video】
- Model and TV star Kayo Police went to Singapore to wish you a hot Christmas from the beach
- Blogger offers four pieces of advice for foreign women looking for love with a Japanese guy
- Shippers rejoice! 10,000 anime fans pick their favorite same-sex pairings
- Sailor Suit Old Man’s mobile game just as cute and fun as the man himself
- Video of crafty cat’s escape from behind bars shows no simple cage can hold him
- Why aren’t there more female entrepreneurs in Japan? Pull up a chair… 【Women in Japan Series】
- This crazy 4-minute clip is the most epic fan-made anime tribute we’ve seen this year
- Character images of new Digimon Adventure series released, expected to air in spring 2015