Are you bored of the same old Japanese food and looking to try something new, exciting and a little strange? From potentially life-threatening to overwhelmingly pungent odors to just plain odd, here’s a list of 20 of the weirdest Japanese delicacies from the sea. If you are feeling a little bit curious and want to expand your Japanese cuisine horizons, click the link to find out more!
Among the many colorful expressions in Japanese you’ll find kuwazu girai, which is used to describe a knee-jerk dislike to something unfamiliar before you’ve given it a fair shot. Kuwazu girai literally translates to “hating it without having eaten it,” and it was exactly the problem restaurateur Himi Okajima was having at his eatery, called Hakata Tonton, in New York’s Manhattan.
Okajima is a native of Fukuoka in southern Japan, and orders weren’t exactly pouring in from American customers for two of his hometown’s favorite dishes that were on the menu: pigs’ feet and cod roe.
Enoshima is a popular summer beach front located just southwest of Tokyo in Kanagawa Prefecture. The area is well-known for numerous attractions around the island, its long stretch of sandy beach, great wind-surfing spots, and the quaint little tourist shops and restaurants along the walk to the water’s edge. Japanese vacationers and tourists alike come to this area because of it’s close proximity to the big city and coastal charm.
First-time travelers to Japan might not know, but over in the land of the rising sun, walking while eating food is considered a social faux paux. It may be the same in other countries across the world, but North Americans often find this aversion to eating on-the-go a bit surprising at first. But fear not because there’s an exception to every rule. Japan loves their food stands in the summer and bends the rules when it comes to deliciously portable fare like yakitori, takoyaki, and other festival food.
The walk to Enoshima beach and the island beyond is full of stands and small eateries, so feel free to pick up some dango on your way to the beach and munch with your companions! Here are some recommended stops for delicious take-away food to nibble during your vacation stroll.
Located on the northern tip of Japan’s main island of Honshu, Aomori Prefecture is known for its great seafood. Aomori scallops are especially prized, and any shellfish fan visiting the area should definitely make time to have a few.
But how can you be sure you’re eating the freshest scallops possible? Easy: catch them yourself. Even if you don’t have the time to venture out onto the open seas, there’s a restaurant right across the street from Aomori Station that lets you do just that.
Since the accident at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant following the terrible East Japan Earthquake in March last year, radiation has unfortunately been a topic of concern for everyone in Japan. It is therefore not surprising that a team of scientists at Tokyo University, where some of the top minds of Japan can be found, conducted a study on how radiation in seafood can be reduced. However, the results which have been reported in the media recently are not what you may expect from Japan’s premier academic institution.
According to reports, the team at Tokyo University, headed by Professor Shugo Watabe, concluded from their experiments that up to 95% of the radioactive cesium contained in fish can be removed by reducing the fish into very small pieces, close to paste form, and washing it repeatedly with water. Read More
- 13 surprising Japanese translations of American movie titles1
- Your holiday (counterfeit) gift-buying guide!2
- What Apple and Microsoft Would Look Like if Personified as Anime Characters3
- Live-action Attack on Titan gets release date, new director4
- Onsen trivia! Finding the hottest, highest, and healthiest hot springs in Japan5
- Chinese man leaps to his death during five-hour shopping trip with girlfriend6
- HEMORRHOIDS! The Best of Comically Bad Japanese T-Shirts on Non-Japanese Torsos7
- Get a serious load of cute – this furry little McDonald’s fan has found the purrr-fect toy!8
- Fashionable fairy tale cosplays could pass as adorable dresses9
- Let’s learn a little Japanese with this dead squid in a parking lot10
- “Wait, you’re a dude? Meh, marry me anyway.” New male princess stealing hearts in China1
- Beautiful Chinese boy “traps” the hearts of Korean netizens 【Photos】2
- Nine unusual products from Japanese designer, Oki Sato3
- Cute credit cards could send you to the slammer4
- 10 incredible tiny houses in Japan: a photo tour5
- Live-action Attack on Titan gets release date, new director6
- The last photo of faithful dog Hachiko breaks our hearts7
- Girl runs away from home to stop her parents from buying a Japanese car8
- Subway mini skirt peeping tom found innocent9
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea10
- What the hell is this monster?? 【Updated】1
- Before and After: 31 Startling Images of Plastic Surgery in Korea 【Photo Album】2
- 45 adorable pictures of animals acting human 【Photos】3
- Chinese designer depicts Eastern vs. Western human behaviors in clever pictographs4
- When Two Amazing Worlds Collide: Welcome to the World of Cat Sushi!5
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong6
- 10 things Japan gets awesomely right7
- “Wait, you’re a dude? Meh, marry me anyway.” New male princess stealing hearts in China8
- Beautiful Chinese boy “traps” the hearts of Korean netizens 【Photos】9
- The amazing disaster relief equipment of Japan’s Self Defense Force10
- Before and After: 31 Startling Images of Plastic Surgery in Korea 【Photo Album】1
- 252 of Japan’s favorite animated gifs2
- What the hell is this monster?? 【Updated】3
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong4
- Chinese designer depicts Eastern vs. Western human behaviors in clever pictographs5
- Thinking about plastic surgery? This ad may make you laugh – or it could make you think twice!6
- Meet the new model set to make manga artists’ lives a whole lot easier7
- 10 things Japan gets awesomely right8
- When Two Amazing Worlds Collide: Welcome to the World of Cat Sushi!9
- Snake being pickled to create healing liquor awakens after 3 months and bites woman10
- Chinese man leaps to his death during five-hour shopping trip with girlfriend
- HEMORRHOIDS! The Best of Comically Bad Japanese T-Shirts on Non-Japanese Torsos
- Get a serious load of cute – this furry little McDonald’s fan has found the purrr-fect toy!
- Fashionable fairy tale cosplays could pass as adorable dresses
- Let’s learn a little Japanese with this dead squid in a parking lot
- 10 Japanese foods you can make at home!
- Beijing man caught on camera groping commuter from beneath her seat 【Video】
- We compare global attitudes about cosmetic surgery
- Cute credit cards could send you to the slammer
- Men’s butts are shaped like green peppers, according to this butt illustration guide
- 12 urban legends about Tokyo Disneyland
- 16 films based on popular manga series hitting Japanese cinemas in 2014
- Adorable chinchilla causes Japanese netizens to have cute attack 【Photos】