For many people around the world, it’s an automatic reaction to buckle up whenever you get into a vehicle. However there are still many countries where, despite having the laws in place, there isn’t much of an awareness of the tragic consequences failing to strap yourself in can have…that’s where Taylor Swift comes in.
- Michelle Lynn Dinh
Nov 21, 2013
If you’ve ever lived in Japan, chances are you’ve seen a little three-year-old climbing around the inside of their parent’s car…while the vehicle was in motion. To those in other countries where seatbelt and child safety harness laws are strictly enforced, this might be shocking to hear, but this situation happens more often than you might think. In fact, Japan didn’t have a mandatory seat belt law for rear passengers until 2008.
But even an official law doesn’t seems to deter Japanese drivers from not buckling up when it comes to the backseat. That’s why the Japan Automotive Federation along with the National Police Agency published the results of a 2013 survey detailing exactly how many people use their car’s most important safety device.
Some people seem intent on not fastening their seat belt while driving. You would think significantly increased risk of injury and death would be enough to pursued people to buckle up, especially when doing so only takes a few seconds.
Yet this is apparently too much hassle for some people in China, where a T-shirt designed to make it look like the wearer is wearing a seat belt has been selling faster than a driver throw out the front window shield during a head-on collision.
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked1
- Ten things we learned at USJ: A muggle’s guide to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter2
- Considering a tattoo? Take it for a removable test run with these tattoo sleeves3
- Is it safe to dance yet? Uncertainty continues to reign supreme in Japan’s club scene4
- 35 fascinating photos of Korea from 100 years ago (before K-dramas took over Asia)5
- Raw, frozen eggs are the new food trend in Japan, apparently6
- Fukuoka’s “Wisteria Tunnel” delights visitors with pretty pastel petals7
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls8
- Transform a sushi mat into a stylish makeup tool organizer in just a few steps!9
- Trending on Twitter, girls draw themselves as dashing high school boys【Photos】10
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls1
- Clever font sneaks pronunciation guide for English speakers into Japanese katakana characters2
- Thai schoolgirl uniforms poised to edge out traditional Japanese ones in Japan?3
- Cat man from Kyushu walks nine cats in a stroller, draws crowds in Tokyo4
- Awesome Air Umbrella from China keeps you dry with blasts of air5
- Is the New Nintendo 3DS worth the purchase? Early adopters in Japan share their thoughts6
- The 10 best anime of the fall season, according to Japanese otaku7
- Why does Engrish happen in Japan?8
- Korean activists upset over plans to sew the anuses of river rats shut, make them eat each other9
- Beautiful old footage shows “God of Judo” Kyuzo Mifune gracefully defeat young challengers【Video】10
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】1
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China2
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked3
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea4
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls5
- Watch liquid turn into food at Japanese sample food factory 【Videos】6
- Japanese mothers react to being called by their first names after years of just being “Mama”7
- 10 things foreigners do that Japanese people find amusing8
- “Beautiful foreigner walking a polar bear” spotted at Shibuya’s famous crossing9
- Thai schoolgirl uniforms poised to edge out traditional Japanese ones in Japan?10
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】1
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star2
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls3
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】4
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China5
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later6
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady10
- Raw, frozen eggs are the new food trend in Japan, apparently
- Fukuoka’s “Wisteria Tunnel” delights visitors with pretty pastel petals
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls
- Transform a sushi mat into a stylish makeup tool organizer in just a few steps!
- Trending on Twitter, girls draw themselves as dashing high school boys【Photos】
- Chinese woman’s catty comeback to Korean colleague gets netizens talking
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- A little perspective: Malaysian graphic designer cleverly mixes movie posters and real life
- Election time or erection time? Taiwanese political ad features sexy bicyclist, and that’s about it
- Awesome Air Umbrella from China keeps you dry with blasts of air
- Shocking footage of accident on Japanese highway reminds us of the fragility of life 【Video】
- Worried about McDonald’s chicken in Japan? Don’t be! Free McNuggets ease your fears!
- Celebrate New Years in Pokémon style — with a monster ball filled with traditional osechi food!