Studio Ghibli fans in South Korea can finally rejoice, because a special exhibition dedicated to the beloved animation studio is now open to the public in Seoul. The exhibit features a variety of three-dimensional replicas from famous Studio Ghibli film scenes, among other surprises sure to delight long-time fans. Now’s a better chance than ever to actually experience the world of a Studio Ghibli film firsthand!
Sep 3, 2014
May Miat Noe, a native of Myanmar and (brief) champion of the 2014 Miss Asia Pacific beauty pageant has apparently gone on the lam after contest authorities attempted to revoke both her winner status and her extremely pricey prize tiara, which the 18-year-old squirreled away with her before falling off the radar.
The Korean contest organizers claim that Noe’s status was revoked after it was discovered she’d apparently lied on her profile about… something (the agency appears reluctant to specify), and that she’d “been rude” to staff and extended a 10 day visit for her mother – which the agency paid for – to Seoul, where the contest was held, into a three-month sojourn.
I thought everyone was exaggerating about how great the airport in Seoul was until I actually went there
- BUSINESS INSIDER
Apr 16, 2014
Since I live on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, I try to fly out of New York’s LaGuardia Airport whenever I can. It’s just a 15-minute cab ride, and I can get through security quickly.
But, boy, is it a dump, especially in the United Airlines terminal. There’s an Au Bon Pain, but it’s really just a chow line without the regular storefront you see in most airports. That’s about it.
So the bar was set low when I flew to Incheon International Airport in Seoul, South Korea, on a recent business trip. Still, I had a lot of people, including two of my Korean colleagues, tell me it was the best airport in the world (it was ranked the world’s second-best airport by Skytrax, a high honor).
- Joan Coello
Feb 26, 2014
We’ve seen plenty of cat cafés, maid cafés and even owl cafés here on RocketNews24, but putting living things aside, this themed café in Seoul which features the characters of a Korean online comic MAJO&SADY, could probably top our list of cute cafés!
The simple yet chic café provides a cozy and relaxing atmosphere that anyone can enjoy, even if you’re unfamiliar with the comic’s characters. Check it out!
Last November, a man enlisted in the Republic of Korea Armed Forces was serving his final day before he was scheduled to be discharged. He just had one last order: clean his personal combat equipment – including his firearm – for inspection.
Apparently feeling burdened with this final duty, he must have been looking for a quick fix when – perhaps thinking “Why not kill two birds with one stone?” – he decided to wash his gun in with the laundry. What could possibly go wrong?
Over a year ago, an American man was caught using his cell phone on the subway in Seoul to take an up-skirt image of a female passenger. With the offending photo found stored on the man’s phone it seemed like a fairly open-and-shut case, but the court at which he was tried ultimately found him innocent of any wrongdoing.
You be the judge on this one…
- Rachel Tackett
Aug 14, 2013
In the midst of a severe heat wave, South Korea is facing a terrible energy crisis. And so, in an effort to save power, the government has taken the step of prohibiting the use of air conditioners – the very devices that few of us would ever dream of going without at this time of year – in public buildings for a number of days.
- John Stuart Translations
Jun 26, 2013
South Korea’s nuclear power industry, ranking fifth in the world in terms of generating capacity at 20,739 megawatts, continues to be rocked by scandal and misconduct. Currently nine of the country’s 23 plants are offline, meaning the supply capacity situation is the worst the country has ever experienced. Though Japan’s power supply is also in a precarious state with only 2 of its 50 nuclear plants operating, the situation in South Korea is said to be much more severe, and many fear power outages such as those experienced in September 2011 will recur.
- John Stuart Translations
Apr 17, 2013
South Korean automobile manufacturer Hyundai revealed its new E4U single-person concept car at the recently completed Seoul Motor Show. Egg-like in shape, the mobility device measures 92cm in width while standing 123cm tall. Hyundai believes the vehicle to be suitable for narrow streets in urban centers where speeds are generally slow.
When you think of France, the Eiffel Tower springs to mind. China has the Great Wall, and how about the Statue of Liberty for the USA? Even Brazil has that big Jesus statue. Now, what comes to mind when you think of South Korea?
That’s not meant to be an insult. Most countries suffer the same lack of iconic, world-renowned landmarks, like my own home of Canada. It’s nothing to be ashamed of. (Yes, I will keep telling myself that, thank you.)
But South Korea may be on the verge of breaking out of this group with the discovery of a 100 year old piece of cultural heritage – a sewer!
The Cakes at Seoul’s Hello Kitty Cafe Are So Cute, You’ll Feel Bad Mutilating the Face of the World’s Most Beloved Cat
- Michelle Lynn Dinh
Sep 16, 2012
Just about everyone knows Hello Kitty. The Japanese born cat of Sanrio, with her simple expression and cute little bow, has reached the far corners of the world. Hello Kitty, known as Kitty-chan in Japan, has made appearances on lunch boxes, debit cards, $5,000 necklaces, electric guitars, and even airplanes.
The expressionless white cat’s overwhelming popularity has spread throughout the world, prompting the creation of the Hello Kitty Cafe franchise in South Korea with locations in Seoul, Incheon, and Sinchon. One of our reporters, enamored by the cuteness that Japan’s most famous cat exudes, decided to pay a visit to Hello Kitty Cafe’s Seoul location.
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked1
- Raw, frozen eggs are the new food trend in Japan, apparently2
- When first-try character bentos go wrong 【Photos】3
- Revealed! Japan’s top 10 handsome samurai【Photos】4
- 35 fascinating photos of Korea from 100 years ago (before K-dramas took over Asia)5
- Is it safe to dance yet? Uncertainty continues to reign supreme in Japan’s club scene6
- A little perspective: Malaysian graphic designer cleverly mixes movie posters and real life7
- Ten things we learned at USJ: A muggle’s guide to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter8
- The 10 best anime of the fall season, according to Japanese otaku9
- Has a Japanese company found the fountain of youth? One man’s youthful skin suggests so10
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls1
- Clever font sneaks pronunciation guide for English speakers into Japanese katakana characters2
- Thai schoolgirl uniforms poised to edge out traditional Japanese ones in Japan?3
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked4
- Cat man from Kyushu walks nine cats in a stroller, draws crowds in Tokyo5
- The 10 best anime of the fall season, according to Japanese otaku6
- Awesome Air Umbrella from China keeps you dry with blasts of air7
- Is the New Nintendo 3DS worth the purchase? Early adopters in Japan share their thoughts8
- Korean activists upset over plans to sew the anuses of river rats shut, make them eat each other9
- Why does Engrish happen in Japan?10
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】1
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China2
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked3
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea4
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls5
- Watch liquid turn into food at Japanese sample food factory 【Videos】6
- Japanese mothers react to being called by their first names after years of just being “Mama”7
- 10 things foreigners do that Japanese people find amusing8
- “Beautiful foreigner walking a polar bear” spotted at Shibuya’s famous crossing9
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls10
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】1
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star2
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls3
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】4
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China5
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later6
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady10
- Is it safe to dance yet? Uncertainty continues to reign supreme in Japan’s club scene
- A little perspective: Malaysian graphic designer cleverly mixes movie posters and real life
- Ten things we learned at USJ: A muggle’s guide to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- The 10 best anime of the fall season, according to Japanese otaku
- Has a Japanese company found the fountain of youth? One man’s youthful skin suggests so
- Robot rebellion begins with a cranky Roomba, Internet users too busy laughing to fight back
- It’s BAAAACK! The Tower Cheeseburger from Lotteria — but for ONE DAY only!
- Considering a tattoo? Take it for a removable test run with these tattoo sleeves
- Fukuoka’s “Wisteria Tunnel” delights visitors with pretty pastel petals
- Election time or erection time? Taiwanese political ad features sexy bicyclist, and that’s about it
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- Worried about McDonald’s chicken in Japan? Don’t be! Free McNuggets ease your fears!
- Chinese woman’s catty comeback to Korean colleague gets netizens talking