A few weeks ago, we told you about Village Vanguard’s launch of Slime Curry, a rather curious blue foodstuff inspired by the bad-guy blobs of the Dragon Quest series. Not content with just informing you of its existence, one of the Japanese reporters at our sister site Pouch bravely volunteered to try the curry for herself and report back if she survived. Here’s what she had to say.
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Sep 20, 2014
With the goal of being the first in line to purchase an iPhone 6 Plus, Mr. Sato, our most outlandish reporter, parked himself in front of the Marunouchi Docomo store on September 15. After several nights living on the streets, finally the day had come! On the morning of September 19 at 8am, Mr. Sato, blue slime costume and all, purchased his coveted Apple gadget, but not before meeting famous actors and taking center stage in an interview. Here is his story.
Sep 1, 2014
If the standard black and Destiny-themed white models of PlayStation 4 aren’t quite exotic enough for you, Sony Computer Entertainment Japan might have just the thing. That is, of course, providing you like your gaming with a dose of slime…
Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, say hello to the Dragon Quest “Metal Slime Edition” PlayStation 4.
Aug 26, 2014
Remember the beautiful transparent water cakes we told you about back in June that we went all the way to Yamanashi Prefecture to try? Well, we might have expected it, but someone has come up with a fun, creative take on the water cake that has been delighting Japanese Internet users. And we have to say, we too are hugely impressed by the creation — Dragon Quest slime in a clear, jelly-like form!
Aug 20, 2013
Dragon Quest is a long-running series of role-playing video games with a sizeable selection of spin-offs, novels, manga, and anime adaptations. Most people recognize it for its mascot, the mostly harmless bouncing blue slime, a googly-eyed monster present in each of the title’s many incarnations.
Although Dragon Quest is usually categorized as a console game, the newest title to be added to their list of very special spin-offs is an online PC game playable through Yahoo! Games. It’s called Dragon Quest Monster Parade and is sure to draw the attention of slime lovers everywhere! Curious parties can try out the game’s open beta test starting in just a couple days, and anyone who registers to play early will get a special present from makers Square Enix!
With its saturated colors, a picture of a lake in China’s Anhui Province looks like a painting that could have been done by the French impressionist Pierre-Auguste Renoir. No Photoshop trickery here though, the above image is an actual photograph of the lake. But how did it get this way?
Dec 4, 2012
During her recent trip to the beautiful city of Barcelona, Spain, RocketNews24 Japan writer Megumi stumbled upon something that, to her videogame-tuned eyes, could look like only one thing.
The above image is one taken by Megumi when she visited the fantastic Brunells patisserie, or Pastisseria i salode te Brunells to be more exact, showing what is known as a “melonmelon” sweet. Although you and I see little more than a piece of rich, sugary confection, when Megumi first laid eyes on this delightful little green tongue pleaser, she could only think of one thing: a Bubble Slime from the hugely popular Dragon Quest role-playing games.
Dec 3, 2012
Dragon Quest fan? Hungry? Have a few spare minutes? You’re in luck, my friend!
Thanks to the culinary creatives over at Japanese website Bistro Animeshi, we’re about to bring you the first of what we hope will be many recipes for character and anime-themed food! That’s right, over the past few years we’ve tendered to your loins, tickled your funny-bones and now we’re aiming to tantalize your tonsils.
If it’s in the Ghibli movies, we’ll help you recreate it! If you once saw One Piece‘s Luffy shove it down his neck, we’re on it. From the tasty to the downright weird, we’re here to help you cook up your anime dreams.
Welcome… to Rocket Food!
Dragon Quest’s Slime was always one of the tastier-looking characters in the series. I mean, come on, he’s basically a blue gummi with a face drawn on—how could you not want to stick that in your mouth and chew on it?
Well now you can, with Fit’s MAGIQ Slime Flavor chewing gum by Lotte!
- Six anime songs people are sick of hearing at karaoke, according to new poll1
- J-pop unit Perfume’s innovative projection mapping at US performance creates worldwide buzz2
- We love wagyu! We spend an evening learning about (and eating) Japanese beef3
- Japan government hard at work trying to prevent Shibuya Ward approving same-sex marriages4
- Breaking: An increasing number of cats sitting weirdly5
- Fan-made TIE Fighter short film: For people who love Star Wars, anime, or just plain awesomeness6
- Ever tried to catch pudding in your mouth after it’s dropped from a fourth-floor balcony? 【Video】7
- Awesome new electric motorcycle looks like something out of “Akira”‘s Neo Tokyo8
- Five simple ways to take your curry rice to the next level9
- Looking for a new favourite animal? Take your pick from these six adorable Hokkaido natives10
- Cats sitting politely outside Japanese convenience stores restore our faith in felines1
- Looking for a new favourite animal? Take your pick from these six adorable Hokkaido natives2
- Which do you like? Twitter asks if you prefer girls naughty on the inside or outside3
- “We Finns just like it simple”: Net users can’t get enough of Helsinki Metro map4
- Inspirations for April Fools’ pranks (you can thank us later)【Photos】5
- Teen whose Frozen chalkboard art went viral gets an art commission before a high school diploma6
- Thai celebrity posts video ranting about Chinese tourists turning orderly line into free-for-all7
- Buyer’s remorse? Not if you’ve got confidence like this girl8
- Japanese women list the top 10 lies they can spot the second a guy says them9
- Public reacts in horror as poster in Shinjuku Station threatens even more exits10
- Marine park offers chance to shake hands with a loveable otter1
- Anime pillow responds to your rubbing with moans and groans, gets angry if you get too grabby2
- Cats sitting politely outside Japanese convenience stores restore our faith in felines3
- What’s your type? Photo of two Japanese models spurs netizens to talk body type 【Poll】4
- Forget the dress, how many shades of blue do you see here?5
- Japanese netizens stare at red dot for 30 seconds, freak out when they see what happens6
- Half-Japanese beauty chosen to represent Japan at Miss Universe 20157
- Looking for a new favourite animal? Take your pick from these six adorable Hokkaido natives8
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin9
- Get a haircut, a manicure and an eyeful at this saucy salon in Vietnam10
- Marine park offers chance to shake hands with a loveable otter1
- Hachiko, Japan’s most loyal dog, finally reunited with owner in heartwarming new statue in Tokyo2
- Anime pillow responds to your rubbing with moans and groans, gets angry if you get too grabby3
- Literal breastplate will give you a cosplay-ready, anime-class bust in seconds 【Photos】4
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”5
- Cats sitting politely outside Japanese convenience stores restore our faith in felines6
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing7
- What’s your type? Photo of two Japanese models spurs netizens to talk body type 【Poll】8
- Cosplay ideals vs. cosplay reality, a.k.a. cool vs. funny 【Photos】9
- Internet ready to shut up and take your money as preorders finally start for Cat Ear Headphones10
- Fan-made TIE Fighter short film: For people who love Star Wars, anime, or just plain awesomeness
- Ever tried to catch pudding in your mouth after it’s dropped from a fourth-floor balcony? 【Video】
- Awesome new electric motorcycle looks like something out of “Akira”‘s Neo Tokyo
- Five simple ways to take your curry rice to the next level
- Looking for a new favourite animal? Take your pick from these six adorable Hokkaido natives
- Cup no Fuchiko’s “little sister” Gurimi-chan is all kinds of awkward…
- Japanese women list the top 10 lies they can spot the second a guy says them
- A new yuru-kyara from Kyoto you have to see to believe
- How washing your itasha makes it look more dirty than clean
- New Toyota Europe ad has weather forecasters trembling in their seats [Video]
- Sodatete Nihon Ningyo app lets you raise your own Japanese doll! Results may vary…and terrify
- Saying “Will you go out with me?” is just a Japanese thing? Well…it’s complicated
- Tokyo chain puts french fries on soba noodles, proves dreams really can come true