Great for those looking for online admiration or a way to stick it to an ex, company says.
Oct 21, 2016
Cup Noodle continues its reign as the most democratic instant ramen brand around.
Jul 8, 2016
Let this perky pup with the perfectly groomed spherical head in South Korea lift your spirits mid-week.
May 25, 2016
After watching this, we’re not sure if they’re actually trying to encourage young people to go the ballot box, or give them a seizure.
In Japan, you don’t “like” something on Facebook, you “ii ne” it. But what about the five other “reactions” that Facebook has just added?
Nov 25, 2015
At least one minor celebrity has posted an angry rant on social media alleging video game publisher Electronic Arts tried to buy his endorsement of the upcoming Star Wars-themed game.
On the morning of Saturday, November 14, many Japanese Beliebers, along with some Non-Beliebers and Agnobiebers, awoke and checked into Twitter as usual only to find the famous Canadian pop star declaring that he was praying for their souls right alongside those of the people of Paris.
Confused and a little concerned, I—a card-carrying Agnobeiber—showed the above tweet to my coworkers, all of whom were equally baffled as to why Justin Bieber should be praying for them, considering nothing out of the ordinary happened here in Japan.
Nov 10, 2015
Here’s something for you, sushi and Twitter lovers the world over!
Earlier this week, a Japanese net user uploaded a free Chrome web extension which converts the Twitter “Like” heart icon into a delicious sushi icon instead. It may not be the most earth-shattering new function to ever pop up on the internet, but hey, it’s the little things in life, right?
Jul 16, 2015
The great thing about online social networking services is that they allow you to connect with anyone in the world. The bad news, though, is that there are bound to be some people out there that you don’t really want to be connected to. Of course, most systems give you the option to block other users who’re bothering you, but a new Japanese social network just might be able to stop such unpleasantness before it ever begins, thanks to the fact that only applicants who’re cleared by a strict artificial intelligence examination will be allowed to join.
Apr 17, 2015
The latest social media craze to hit Japan is called “Insta in my Hand,” for which net users share photos which look like they’re holding a transparent version of their Instagram or Twitter homepages in the palm of their hands. The boom was apparently imported from South Korea earlier this month, after Key, a member of K-Pop group SHINee, uploaded his own “Insta in my Hand” picture to his Instagram account. Japanese high school students have since tweaked the trend to include “Twitter in my Hand” shots as well.
Now you too can create your own “Insta in my Hand” images with our handy English guide, right after the jump!
Mar 17, 2015
When 28-year-old Ada Ng posted photos of herself sitting in the cockpit of a Cathay Pacific flight, she would never have imagined that she would find herself in the middle of a social media storm soon after.
But Ng’s photos and videos of her experience, and accompanying excited comments, which were posted on Chinese microblogging site Sina Weibo, have prompted debate about airline security – and confusion as to why the young woman was allowed to travel in this way, seemingly in breach of post-9/11 security standards.
Feb 23, 2015
Tokyo Disney Resort is a popular date spot among Japanese people, and also serves as the setting for a fair number of wedding proposals. But getting down on one knee in front of a huge crowd of people is not without its disadvantages. When one plucky young man proposed to his girlfriend in front of the Cinderella Castle in Tokyo Disneyland last week, he set off a chain of events that looks to have ended with a little less magic and sparkle than he anticipated.
While many people were delighted to see the romantic scene unfold, other visitors took to Twitter to grumble about the inconvenience the man had caused by proposing in such a busy place, delaying the scheduled parade. And now, the guy’s ex-girlfriend has waded into the debate too.
Jan 28, 2015
In Japan, mobile and social networking games are a huge market, and have even begun to eclipse console games in recent years. This can perhaps be attributed to their commuting culture, which has made portable gaming a necessity, and the fact that smartphones are more accessible than portable handheld consoles. At any rate, it’s an industry that’s worth big bucks, and generally high quality is expected. Perhaps that’s why some gamers in Japan have been sniggering over this unusual game from China, which cuts corners massively by borrowing the likenesses of western celebrities in place of original content.
Hayashi 'Fang' Hougi
Nov 5, 2014
In the past few days, professional pick-up artist Julien Blanc became the source of tremendous ire after footage was shared online of a man identified by net users as him grabbing women on the streets of Tokyo, manhandling a convenience store clerk, and pushing girls’ heads down into his crotch while posing for the camera.
This kind of conduct, it would seem, is not dissimilar to the kind of advice Blanc gives to men during his “training sessions” on how to pick up women, as the recently shared video shows him talking about how easy it is for white men to grab Tokyo girls as they please and advising them to “just yell ‘Pikachu’ or ‘Pokémon’ or ‘Tamagochi’ or something” while doing so.
Oct 26, 2014
Having trouble finding love? Have a bunch of money you just don’t know what to do with? Are you Chinese, over 1.75 meters tall, under 30, rich and generous?
Then congratulations! You fulfill all the requirements to earn yourself the privilege of spending a fortune for a night together with this Taiwanese girl who is recruiting “temporary boyfriends” to fund her travels across China.
Apr 18, 2014
One Weibo user has attracted a lot of attention overnight by posting her unconventional fashion designs. She has already gained nearly 75,000 followers, even though she has only been a member for 42 days. While some think it’s all a big joke, she may just be ahead of her time.
The designer doesn’t say much about her work; most of her posts are simply captioned “my design.” She models her own works, but her face is usually expressionless. It’s not surprising, as her designs – which mostly involve balancing computer keyboards, rocks, plastic bottles, and vegetables on her head – speak so loudly.
It’s no secret that Facebook is having a little bit of trouble in Japan. A recent survey by Aun Consulting showed a drastic decline of almost 11 percent from September 2012 to January this year. But why are Japanese users quitting the incredibly popular global social networking site? Apparently, between all of the selfies showing off your perfect girlfriend, photo albums of that weekend trip to Tahiti and updates on your amazing job, some users are developing an inferiority complex about their lonely, boring and unsatisfying lives.
Jul 31, 2013
Something attracting quite a bit of attention on the net at the moment is an incident involving a 25-year-old homeless man in Japan who put himself up for sale as an “item” on the Yahoo! Auctions website. Anyone winning the bid would in theory have been able bring the man into their home and provide him with accommodation.
Want to share your plastic Gundam model collection with your friends but too embarrassed to upload it to Facebook?
On November 29, Japanese internet company SoftBank and subsidiary Yahoo! Japan launched WONDER!, a social network where otaku can upload photos of their PVC figures, plastic models, cosplay, and original illustrations.
May 19, 2012
We’ve all gotten very familiar with the concept of social media to the point that even my grandmother has a vague awareness of it. However, its detractors are quick to point that social networks, microblogs, podcasts, and what have you all amount to an ocean of pointless drivel.
It response to this harsh attack of new media comes a growing trend of web users and developers who are looking to harness the power of the internet for what they call “social good.”
- Twitter debate erupts over Japanese book that shows man with Asperger’s refusing to work overtime1
- Japan’s clam chowder tempura is jiggly and crazy, but how does it taste? We find out2
- Starbucks Japan brings out Shaken Apple Green Tea for a limited time3
- New Studio Ghibli tea collection includes tea sourced from Totoro’s real-life forest in Japan!4
- “Drunk Mode” added to Japanese rail navigation smartphone app5
- Kyoto police set up system to predict when and where crimes will happen6
- Now you can make your own Poké Ball … in chocolate!7
- 20 things to buy at the Pokémon Center Mega Tokyo store8
- Popular Japanese YouTuber is virtual schoolgirl who plays games, has existential crises【Videos】9
- A sexy penguin, Studio Ghibli cats, and other cosplayers take over Osaka for Street Festa【Pics】10
- New Sailor Moon fashion lineup is stylish, cute, and, shockingly, actually affordable!【Photos】1
- Anime pro father and sons’ collaborative artwork series has somehow become even more awesome2
- Japanese college women pick between men who’re short and handsome or tall and plain in survey3
- Radio Ghibli is the newest way to listen to the iconic music of Studio Ghibli4
- Sakura season officially starts in Tokyo as cherry blossoms begin blooming in the capital5
- A sexy penguin, Studio Ghibli cats, and other cosplayers take over Osaka for Street Festa【Pics】6
- Subtitling glitch turns schoolgirl band anime into tale of drugs, guns, and murder7
- English name in Zelda: BotW credits shows happy ending for one student’s 10 year Japanese journey8
- One simple kanji character in super-simple Japanese sentence has five different pronunciations9
- The gloomy faces of a father-son pair on a Disney ride go viral on Twitter for a funny reason10
- Busty Japanese model Jun Amaki bounces onto the virgin-killing sweater bandwagon【Video, photos】1
- Kanagawa man’s body found one month after death in a six-ton pile of erotic magazines2
- Spirited Away No Face piggy bank is the Studio Ghibli merchandise we all need to have right now3
- Male teacher in China cosplays as female characters, gets discovered by his own student4
- Happy Pokémon Day! Pokémon GO celebrates with debut of special Party Pikachu5
- W.T.F. Japan: Top 5 steps to immigrate to Japan 【Weird Top Five】6
- Golden retriever watches his human until he falls asleep for the most heart-wrenching reason7
- Japanese cosplayer shows ingenious way to fake muscles using silicone push-up bras8
- Tokyo’s giant Gundam statue dismantled in anime-like scene that’s warming the hearts of fans9
- Jaw-dropping Japanese “sea of clouds” is a great reason to visit Tokyo’s northern neighbor10
- Anime artist dad turns young sons’ sketches into awesome animation character designs1
- Japan’s new luxury overnight bus is the conveniently classy way to get from Tokyo to Osaka2
- Busty Japanese model Jun Amaki bounces onto the virgin-killing sweater bandwagon【Video, photos】3
- Permanent residency in Japan now possible after just one year4
- Kanagawa man’s body found one month after death in a six-ton pile of erotic magazines5
- Spirited Away No Face piggy bank is the Studio Ghibli merchandise we all need to have right now6
- Forget maid cafes! Lift weights and get jacked with cute girls at a MAID GYM instead【Video】7
- Japanese fashion fans and fan artists go gaga for sexy “virgin-killing sweater”8
- Male teacher in China cosplays as female characters, gets discovered by his own student9
- Want to make sure your Eevee evolves into Umbreon or Espeon in the Pokémon GO update? Here’s how10
- Kyoto police set up system to predict when and where crimes will happen
- Now you can make your own Poké Ball … in chocolate!
- 20 things to buy at the Pokémon Center Mega Tokyo store
- Popular Japanese YouTuber is virtual schoolgirl who plays games, has existential crises【Videos】
- A sexy penguin, Studio Ghibli cats, and other cosplayers take over Osaka for Street Festa【Pics】
- Pac-Man rickshaw is back! This time to eat in Osaka’s Shinsekai district
- Japanese college women pick between men who’re short and handsome or tall and plain in survey
- Netflix releases first trailer for its live-action American adaptation of anime Death Note【Video】
- W.T.F. Japan: Top 5 most famous pet dogs in Japan【Weird Top Five】
- New Sailor Moon fashion lineup is stylish, cute, and, shockingly, actually affordable!【Photos】
- Send a free drink to a friend with Japan’s newest coinless vending machines【Video】