Cup Noodle continues its reign as the most democratic instant ramen brand around.
Jul 8, 2016
Let this perky pup with the perfectly groomed spherical head in South Korea lift your spirits mid-week.
May 25, 2016
After watching this, we’re not sure if they’re actually trying to encourage young people to go the ballot box, or give them a seizure.
In Japan, you don’t “like” something on Facebook, you “ii ne” it. But what about the five other “reactions” that Facebook has just added?
Nov 25, 2015
At least one minor celebrity has posted an angry rant on social media alleging video game publisher Electronic Arts tried to buy his endorsement of the upcoming Star Wars-themed game.
On the morning of Saturday, November 14, many Japanese Beliebers, along with some Non-Beliebers and Agnobiebers, awoke and checked into Twitter as usual only to find the famous Canadian pop star declaring that he was praying for their souls right alongside those of the people of Paris.
Confused and a little concerned, I—a card-carrying Agnobeiber—showed the above tweet to my coworkers, all of whom were equally baffled as to why Justin Bieber should be praying for them, considering nothing out of the ordinary happened here in Japan.
Nov 10, 2015
Here’s something for you, sushi and Twitter lovers the world over!
Earlier this week, a Japanese net user uploaded a free Chrome web extension which converts the Twitter “Like” heart icon into a delicious sushi icon instead. It may not be the most earth-shattering new function to ever pop up on the internet, but hey, it’s the little things in life, right?
Jul 16, 2015
The great thing about online social networking services is that they allow you to connect with anyone in the world. The bad news, though, is that there are bound to be some people out there that you don’t really want to be connected to. Of course, most systems give you the option to block other users who’re bothering you, but a new Japanese social network just might be able to stop such unpleasantness before it ever begins, thanks to the fact that only applicants who’re cleared by a strict artificial intelligence examination will be allowed to join.
Apr 17, 2015
The latest social media craze to hit Japan is called “Insta in my Hand,” for which net users share photos which look like they’re holding a transparent version of their Instagram or Twitter homepages in the palm of their hands. The boom was apparently imported from South Korea earlier this month, after Key, a member of K-Pop group SHINee, uploaded his own “Insta in my Hand” picture to his Instagram account. Japanese high school students have since tweaked the trend to include “Twitter in my Hand” shots as well.
Now you too can create your own “Insta in my Hand” images with our handy English guide, right after the jump!
Mar 17, 2015
When 28-year-old Ada Ng posted photos of herself sitting in the cockpit of a Cathay Pacific flight, she would never have imagined that she would find herself in the middle of a social media storm soon after.
But Ng’s photos and videos of her experience, and accompanying excited comments, which were posted on Chinese microblogging site Sina Weibo, have prompted debate about airline security – and confusion as to why the young woman was allowed to travel in this way, seemingly in breach of post-9/11 security standards.
Feb 23, 2015
Tokyo Disney Resort is a popular date spot among Japanese people, and also serves as the setting for a fair number of wedding proposals. But getting down on one knee in front of a huge crowd of people is not without its disadvantages. When one plucky young man proposed to his girlfriend in front of the Cinderella Castle in Tokyo Disneyland last week, he set off a chain of events that looks to have ended with a little less magic and sparkle than he anticipated.
While many people were delighted to see the romantic scene unfold, other visitors took to Twitter to grumble about the inconvenience the man had caused by proposing in such a busy place, delaying the scheduled parade. And now, the guy’s ex-girlfriend has waded into the debate too.
Jan 28, 2015
In Japan, mobile and social networking games are a huge market, and have even begun to eclipse console games in recent years. This can perhaps be attributed to their commuting culture, which has made portable gaming a necessity, and the fact that smartphones are more accessible than portable handheld consoles. At any rate, it’s an industry that’s worth big bucks, and generally high quality is expected. Perhaps that’s why some gamers in Japan have been sniggering over this unusual game from China, which cuts corners massively by borrowing the likenesses of western celebrities in place of original content.
Hayashi 'Fang' Hougi
Nov 5, 2014
In the past few days, professional pick-up artist Julien Blanc became the source of tremendous ire after footage was shared online of a man identified by net users as him grabbing women on the streets of Tokyo, manhandling a convenience store clerk, and pushing girls’ heads down into his crotch while posing for the camera.
This kind of conduct, it would seem, is not dissimilar to the kind of advice Blanc gives to men during his “training sessions” on how to pick up women, as the recently shared video shows him talking about how easy it is for white men to grab Tokyo girls as they please and advising them to “just yell ‘Pikachu’ or ‘Pokémon’ or ‘Tamagochi’ or something” while doing so.
Oct 26, 2014
Having trouble finding love? Have a bunch of money you just don’t know what to do with? Are you Chinese, over 1.75 meters tall, under 30, rich and generous?
Then congratulations! You fulfill all the requirements to earn yourself the privilege of spending a fortune for a night together with this Taiwanese girl who is recruiting “temporary boyfriends” to fund her travels across China.
Apr 18, 2014
One Weibo user has attracted a lot of attention overnight by posting her unconventional fashion designs. She has already gained nearly 75,000 followers, even though she has only been a member for 42 days. While some think it’s all a big joke, she may just be ahead of her time.
The designer doesn’t say much about her work; most of her posts are simply captioned “my design.” She models her own works, but her face is usually expressionless. It’s not surprising, as her designs – which mostly involve balancing computer keyboards, rocks, plastic bottles, and vegetables on her head – speak so loudly.
It’s no secret that Facebook is having a little bit of trouble in Japan. A recent survey by Aun Consulting showed a drastic decline of almost 11 percent from September 2012 to January this year. But why are Japanese users quitting the incredibly popular global social networking site? Apparently, between all of the selfies showing off your perfect girlfriend, photo albums of that weekend trip to Tahiti and updates on your amazing job, some users are developing an inferiority complex about their lonely, boring and unsatisfying lives.
Jul 31, 2013
Something attracting quite a bit of attention on the net at the moment is an incident involving a 25-year-old homeless man in Japan who put himself up for sale as an “item” on the Yahoo! Auctions website. Anyone winning the bid would in theory have been able bring the man into their home and provide him with accommodation.
Want to share your plastic Gundam model collection with your friends but too embarrassed to upload it to Facebook?
On November 29, Japanese internet company SoftBank and subsidiary Yahoo! Japan launched WONDER!, a social network where otaku can upload photos of their PVC figures, plastic models, cosplay, and original illustrations.
May 19, 2012
We’ve all gotten very familiar with the concept of social media to the point that even my grandmother has a vague awareness of it. However, its detractors are quick to point that social networks, microblogs, podcasts, and what have you all amount to an ocean of pointless drivel.
It response to this harsh attack of new media comes a growing trend of web users and developers who are looking to harness the power of the internet for what they call “social good.”
- Heavy snowfall in Kyoto creates scenes of breathtaking beauty at tourist sites around the city1
- Collection of Jackie Chan’s best freerunning scenes never stops being amazing 【Video】2
- Japanese Twitter user causes stir with panty-proliferating anime art edit3
- 7-Eleven that survived Fukuoka road collapse becomes mecca for Japanese students4
- Tiny Japanese girl blows the Internet/herself away with her adorably big sneeze【Video】5
- “Animals as Art” releases incredibly realistic, life-size polar bear figures 【Pics and Video】6
- Survey picks the eight most disappointing sightseeing spots in Tokyo7
- Fukushima teacher threatens students with “Death Note”8
- What’s really for breakfast? 20 Japanese people give us a peek at their morning meal【Photos】9
- Japanese maid displays awesome sword skills in the snow【Video】10
- Skip the peace sign – Security researcher cautions against striking Japan’s favorite picture pose1
- Attack on Titan manga’s former editor arrested for wife’s murder2
- Small-breasted Japanese women sound off on common thoughts and experiences of sub-busty life3
- Survey picks the eight most disappointing sightseeing spots in Tokyo4
- Japanese Twitter user shares the phrase a man should never say to his wife5
- Japanese snow monkey filmed trying to have sex with a deer【Video】6
- W.T.F. Japan: Top 5 hand gestures that Japanese people don’t understand【Weird Top Five】7
- It’s the end of an era…literally! Emperor may abdicate throne in 2019 and end the Heisei Era8
- Japanese Twitter user’s description of the ideal boyfriend is refreshingly reasonable9
- How to draw an anime girl sitting down, depending on whether she has siblings or is an only child10
- “Nurse Goldfish” in Hokkaido amazingly appears to help disabled friend eat every time1
- Skip the peace sign – Security researcher cautions against striking Japan’s favorite picture pose2
- U.S. university has “Reading and Writing About Magical Girls” as introductory English course3
- POOP: Pen Oppai (Breast) Oppai Pen conceived online 【Video】4
- Attack on Titan manga’s former editor arrested for wife’s murder5
- Small-breasted Japanese women sound off on common thoughts and experiences of sub-busty life6
- Director of anime Your Name responds to criticisms about the hit film7
- W.T.F. Japan: Top 5 strange things Japanese people do for Christmas【Weird Top Five】8
- “I Like Orange Juice!” Piko Taro releases new single that’s just as ridiculous as PPAP 【Video】9
- Have a moving Hatsune Miku come to life inside your computer desktop background10
- Donald Trump’s daughter Ivanka Trump reportedly to be appointed next ambassador to Japan1
- Japanese fan blown away by J.K. Rowling’s reaction to his Harry Potter/Fantastic Beasts drawing2
- Ryuk from Death Note performs Pen-Pineapple-Apple-Pen in official release video3
- Japan’s most beautiful breasts chosen as winner of Bioppai Contest 2016 is selected 【Video】4
- Japanese men showing an increasing fondness for women they call “penguin girls”5
- Japanese mayor pledges to open onsen amusement park if this hilarious video gets a million views6
- One-finger selfie challenge is the boldest Internet craze yet7
- This Michigan Starbucks barista looks just like a Final Fantasy character8
- Tokyo’s Pen-Pineapple-Apple-Pen Cafe is now open, and we stopped by for a PPAP meal!9
- 15 times when Japanese cosplayers forgot part of their costumes and found genius solutions【Pics】10
- “Animals as Art” releases incredibly realistic, life-size polar bear figures 【Pics and Video】
- Survey picks the eight most disappointing sightseeing spots in Tokyo
- Fukushima teacher threatens students with “Death Note”
- What’s really for breakfast? 20 Japanese people give us a peek at their morning meal【Photos】
- Japanese maid displays awesome sword skills in the snow【Video】
- Japan’s respected National Theatre surprises everyone with traditional rendition of PPAP【Video】
- If this ad doesn’t make you want to visit Hikone, we don’t know what will 【Video】
- Japanese Twitter user’s description of the ideal boyfriend is refreshingly reasonable
- An introduction to the fun world of wasei eigo or Japanese-made English 【Video】
- Sanrio releases new character: Aggretsuko, the white-collar red panda with anger issues
- SMAP idol group members issue farewell messages to fans
- Universal Studios Japan announces 2017 line-up of Cool Japan attractions