The great thing about online social networking services is that they allow you to connect with anyone in the world. The bad news, though, is that there are bound to be some people out there that you don’t really want to be connected to. Of course, most systems give you the option to block other users who’re bothering you, but a new Japanese social network just might be able to stop such unpleasantness before it ever begins, thanks to the fact that only applicants who’re cleared by a strict artificial intelligence examination will be allowed to join.
Apr 17, 2015
The latest social media craze to hit Japan is called “Insta in my Hand,” for which net users share photos which look like they’re holding a transparent version of their Instagram or Twitter homepages in the palm of their hands. The boom was apparently imported from South Korea earlier this month, after Key, a member of K-Pop group SHINee, uploaded his own “Insta in my Hand” picture to his Instagram account. Japanese high school students have since tweaked the trend to include “Twitter in my Hand” shots as well.
Now you too can create your own “Insta in my Hand” images with our handy English guide, right after the jump!
Mar 17, 2015
When 28-year-old Ada Ng posted photos of herself sitting in the cockpit of a Cathay Pacific flight, she would never have imagined that she would find herself in the middle of a social media storm soon after.
But Ng’s photos and videos of her experience, and accompanying excited comments, which were posted on Chinese microblogging site Sina Weibo, have prompted debate about airline security – and confusion as to why the young woman was allowed to travel in this way, seemingly in breach of post-9/11 security standards.
Feb 23, 2015
Tokyo Disney Resort is a popular date spot among Japanese people, and also serves as the setting for a fair number of wedding proposals. But getting down on one knee in front of a huge crowd of people is not without its disadvantages. When one plucky young man proposed to his girlfriend in front of the Cinderella Castle in Tokyo Disneyland last week, he set off a chain of events that looks to have ended with a little less magic and sparkle than he anticipated.
While many people were delighted to see the romantic scene unfold, other visitors took to Twitter to grumble about the inconvenience the man had caused by proposing in such a busy place, delaying the scheduled parade. And now, the guy’s ex-girlfriend has waded into the debate too.
Jan 28, 2015
In Japan, mobile and social networking games are a huge market, and have even begun to eclipse console games in recent years. This can perhaps be attributed to their commuting culture, which has made portable gaming a necessity, and the fact that smartphones are more accessible than portable handheld consoles. At any rate, it’s an industry that’s worth big bucks, and generally high quality is expected. Perhaps that’s why some gamers in Japan have been sniggering over this unusual game from China, which cuts corners massively by borrowing the likenesses of western celebrities in place of original content.
Hayashi 'Fang' Hougi
Nov 5, 2014
In the past few days, professional pick-up artist Julien Blanc became the source of tremendous ire after footage was shared online of a man identified by net users as him grabbing women on the streets of Tokyo, manhandling a convenience store clerk, and pushing girls’ heads down into his crotch while posing for the camera.
This kind of conduct, it would seem, is not dissimilar to the kind of advice Blanc gives to men during his “training sessions” on how to pick up women, as the recently shared video shows him talking about how easy it is for white men to grab Tokyo girls as they please and advising them to “just yell ‘Pikachu’ or ‘Pokémon’ or ‘Tamagochi’ or something” while doing so.
Oct 26, 2014
Having trouble finding love? Have a bunch of money you just don’t know what to do with? Are you Chinese, over 1.75 meters tall, under 30, rich and generous?
Then congratulations! You fulfill all the requirements to earn yourself the privilege of spending a fortune for a night together with this Taiwanese girl who is recruiting “temporary boyfriends” to fund her travels across China.
Apr 18, 2014
One Weibo user has attracted a lot of attention overnight by posting her unconventional fashion designs. She has already gained nearly 75,000 followers, even though she has only been a member for 42 days. While some think it’s all a big joke, she may just be ahead of her time.
The designer doesn’t say much about her work; most of her posts are simply captioned “my design.” She models her own works, but her face is usually expressionless. It’s not surprising, as her designs – which mostly involve balancing computer keyboards, rocks, plastic bottles, and vegetables on her head – speak so loudly.
It’s no secret that Facebook is having a little bit of trouble in Japan. A recent survey by Aun Consulting showed a drastic decline of almost 11 percent from September 2012 to January this year. But why are Japanese users quitting the incredibly popular global social networking site? Apparently, between all of the selfies showing off your perfect girlfriend, photo albums of that weekend trip to Tahiti and updates on your amazing job, some users are developing an inferiority complex about their lonely, boring and unsatisfying lives.
Jul 31, 2013
Something attracting quite a bit of attention on the net at the moment is an incident involving a 25-year-old homeless man in Japan who put himself up for sale as an “item” on the Yahoo! Auctions website. Anyone winning the bid would in theory have been able bring the man into their home and provide him with accommodation.
Want to share your plastic Gundam model collection with your friends but too embarrassed to upload it to Facebook?
On November 29, Japanese internet company SoftBank and subsidiary Yahoo! Japan launched WONDER!, a social network where otaku can upload photos of their PVC figures, plastic models, cosplay, and original illustrations.
May 19, 2012
We’ve all gotten very familiar with the concept of social media to the point that even my grandmother has a vague awareness of it. However, its detractors are quick to point that social networks, microblogs, podcasts, and what have you all amount to an ocean of pointless drivel.
It response to this harsh attack of new media comes a growing trend of web users and developers who are looking to harness the power of the internet for what they call “social good.”
- Photo Booth Horrors: When Japanese Purikura Goes Wrong1
- Online shop’s anime character personal seals look awesome, can be used for legal paperwork2
- Toyota ad about lonely father and dog has a twist ending, will tug at your heartstrings 【Video】3
- What do Magic: The Gathering and Idolmaster have in common? Apparently, quite a bit!4
- Japanese security company claims it’s discovered a new kind of train pervert: Lady sniffers5
- Fans are raving over this amazing Doraemon x Grand Theft Auto V crossover【Pics】6
- Cakes that bring a giant Totoro-sized smile to any Studio Ghibli fan’s face【Photos】7
- Super Mega Important Debate – Japanese TV: is it just plain awful? 【Poll】8
- Anime pillow responds to your rubbing with moans and groans, gets angry if you get too grabby9
- American English teacher in Japan takes a moment to remind student that anime is not real10
- These amazing Furoshiki Shoes from Vibram are designed to literally wrap around your feet!1
- Cosplayers find a way to enjoy Japan’s love hotels while staying fully clothed: Photo sessions2
- The difference between a fat woman and a plump one, according to one Japanese Twitter artist3
- Dog found trapped in a Japanese suburb is a little sad, a little cute, thankfully all OK4
- Polish visitor’s perverted otaku party goes viral on Twitter5
- American English teacher in Japan takes a moment to remind student that anime is not real6
- What do Magic: The Gathering and Idolmaster have in common? Apparently, quite a bit!7
- Shiba Inu stuck in a bush is so cute you’ll soil yourself!【Photos】8
- Sleeping Bag Pikachu wants to snuggle up with you under the stars on your next camping trip9
- If he’s too hot, then he must be a girl! Japanese women smitten with “hot-guy girl” model10
- History crash course: Charming animation shows 80 years of Singapore history in 16 minutes【Video】1
- Cosplaying as an ultra-pale character? Japanese Twitter users have found the perfect product!2
- Netizens are head-over-heels in love with the “cutest McDonald’s goddess” in Taiwan 【Photos】3
- Polish visitor’s perverted otaku party goes viral on Twitter4
- Critic reviews Attack on Titan movie: “I wished the titans would eat the kids so it would end”5
- Try not to cry at this series of short films showing struggles working mothers face in Japan6
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls7
- These amazing Furoshiki Shoes from Vibram are designed to literally wrap around your feet!8
- Japan gets a new stationmaster cat as Nitama is officially named successor to the departed Tama9
- Man in China sells fake clouds, makes pretty good money doing so10
- Age is just a number: 50-year-old Chinese model releases new photobook, drives the Internet crazy1
- Gorgeous college student quits school to become a butcher, gets hailed as “Pork Princess” online2
- Sea bunnies? Japanese netizens going nuts for super cute sea slug3
- Executives arrested from scam dating sites that had 2.7 million users and only one female member4
- Here’s why you should never shine a black light on a used anime character figure5
- History crash course: Charming animation shows 80 years of Singapore history in 16 minutes【Video】6
- Cosplaying as an ultra-pale character? Japanese Twitter users have found the perfect product!7
- Netizens are head-over-heels in love with the “cutest McDonald’s goddess” in Taiwan 【Photos】8
- Polish visitor’s perverted otaku party goes viral on Twitter9
- Critic reviews Attack on Titan movie: “I wished the titans would eat the kids so it would end”10
- Fans are raving over this amazing Doraemon x Grand Theft Auto V crossover【Pics】
- Cakes that bring a giant Totoro-sized smile to any Studio Ghibli fan’s face【Photos】
- Super Mega Important Debate – Japanese TV: is it just plain awful? 【Poll】
- Anime pillow responds to your rubbing with moans and groans, gets angry if you get too grabby
- American English teacher in Japan takes a moment to remind student that anime is not real
- PlayStation Japan asks kids if they’ve finished their summer homework, kids respond appropriately
- These amazing Furoshiki Shoes from Vibram are designed to literally wrap around your feet!
- French artist gives us the best of both worlds with Dragon Ball, superhero fusions!
- Singaporean cosplayer proves that cosplay doesn’t have to have an age limit【Photos】
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea
- Nintendo fans, get your sewing machines ready! Official Nintendo fabrics now available to buy
- Take it From a Native! Recipe for Delicious Japanese Curry as Found at Coco Ichiban
- Why does the fifty yen coin have a hole? And other fun facts about Japanese coins