While companies around the world have made all sorts of different versions of cola, the distinctive taste remains unchanged. So where exactly does the tart, sweet taste of your favorite soda come from? Thanks to a recent visit to a cola producer, a writer on Daily Portal Z found out more about the soft drink and shared his discovery with Japanese netizens, who were somewhat surprised at cola’s humble (and druggy) beginnings, but were left wondering about Coke’s secret recipe.
Coca Cola’s newest soda “Hot Ginger Ale” hit Japanese vending machines on October 21 and we have an official RocketNews24 tasting review for anyone not daring enough to take on the hot, fizzy drink. So before you shell out 120 yen (US$1.20), take a look at what our expert vending machine beverage team has to say.
Hate tomato juice? Maybe you’ll like sparkling tomato juice.
Kagome, a Japanese manufacturer of fruit and vegetable juices, has just announced the sale of Tomash, a carbonated tomato beverage. The drink is made from a combination of tomato juice mixed with lemon and ginger ale, and believe it or not, it’s back by popular demand.
Are you tired of drinking your soda the same old boring way, day after day? Is “open cap, pour into mouth, feel refreshed” just too pedestrian for you? Wouldn’t you like a new and exciting way to get your cola from the bottle to your belly?
Well, if so, have we got some great news for you!
If you’ve ever been to Japan during summer, then you’ll know how the energy-sapping, mind-melting humidity can make you want to do crazy things like wear ice-cream shorts and invest in USB-powered neck coolers. So of course we weren’t surprised when Mr. Sato came into the office insisting everyone shake their carbonated drinks and put them in the freezer. While some of our more sensible staff members made it clear that they wouldn’t be sticking around to clean up any fizzy explosions, our man Mr. Sato managed to convince us all that this would work. And work it did. In fact, this may be one of Mr. Sato’s most sensible ideas yet!
- Master Blaster
Jun 15, 2013
Ramune was one of the first carbonated beverages in Japan and can still be found today in various supermarkets or at festivals and public baths around the country. Over a century after its first appearance, Japanese customers have tended to go for the big name colas, which has in turn caused Ramune producers, such as Osaka’s Hata, to come up with some novel flavors in an effort to stir up interest.
Most recently, a corn flavored Ramune was developed and has celebrated 100,000 bottles sold since its release in March. In honor of this, I picked up some of Hata’s more unique flavors for a whirlwind review of these often overlooked Japanese sodas.
Nothing quenches yours thirst on a hot summer day like a chilled can of cola. Some people, eager to make their cold beverage even more refreshing, may think of leaving a can in the freezer for a few hours.
This is exactly what one boy in China did, leaving with him with 38 stitches after the frozen can exploded in his face the moment he opened it.
Thirsty? Pepsi and Gundam Join Forces to Deliver New Drink That Will Not Only Quench Your Thirst but Entertain Your Eyes!
Jun 28, 2012
We’ve previously reported to you on Gundam-themed products that you can wear (without looking geeky), or eat in the form of green tofu. And now, there’s going to be a Gundam product that you can drink! Fans of the popular Japanese anime will be delighted to hear that a new soda featuring Gundam images will be coming out in early August, and judging from the picture that has been released, the cans look awesome! Read More
A new innovative drink to come out from Suntory – but have they gotten a bit too innovative this time?
Jun 7, 2012
In recent months, we’ve brought to you news on several interesting and creative beverages such as fat-busting cola, salty watermelon flavored pepsi and Okinawa brown sugar cola. Now, major beverage maker Suntory Holdings Limited has announced another new innovative drink that will come on to the Japanese market on July 31. The new drink, called Espressoda, is actually a carbonated coffee drink! However, based on the response on the internet, it appears that Japanese consumers are not so sure about coffee soda as a drink. Read More
- That awkward moment when your phone rings on live TV… and then you make it worse 【Video】1
- Blogger’s silly video of types of dancers at Singapore clubs is trending in Japan2
- Hairy armpit selfies have invaded China’s biggest social networking platform【Photos】3
- Basement Jaxx’s bizarre Japan-based music video freaks us out, makes us want to dance4
- Ryokan etiquette: What not to do when staying at a traditional Japanese inn5
- Chiro the corgi talks, shakes hands, wiggles her bootie, and wins our hearts6
- From Sailor Moon to Freddy Krueger – The lovely cosplayers of Wonder Festival7
- Live-action Attack on Titan confirmed for 2 films8
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker9
- New video from Wagakki Band “Hanabi” is an original, awesome song【J-Tunes】10
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight1
- 16-year-old girl arrested for beheading classmate in Japan’s Nagasaki Prefecture2
- This watermelon might be the most disappointing thing you see today3
- Gamer discovers his deceased father’s ghost on an old Xbox game, challenges it to a race4
- Internet survey sheds light on how Japanese women deal with the hair ‘down there’5
- Vietnamese man, angry at wife, hatches bizarre revenge scheme: Cut off his own penis6
- What turned Tokyo Disneyland into the Loneliest Place on Earth last weekend?7
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker8
- These four Siberian Huskies probably have more followers than you on Instagram!9
- Pikachus overrunning Yokohama in the cutest rodent invasion ever 【Video】10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】6
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight7
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land8
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic9
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】9
- This amazing water cake just may be the most delicate sweet ever created!10
- Chiro the corgi talks, shakes hands, wiggles her bootie, and wins our hearts
- From Sailor Moon to Freddy Krueger – The lovely cosplayers of Wonder Festival
- Live-action Attack on Titan confirmed for 2 films
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- New video from Wagakki Band “Hanabi” is an original, awesome song【J-Tunes】
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight
- Amazing Game Boy smartphone wallpaper brings out the Nintendo fanboy in us all
- 16-year-old girl arrested for beheading classmate in Japan’s Nagasaki Prefecture
- Pikachus overrunning Yokohama in the cutest rodent invasion ever 【Video】
- Man in China steps into “royal rumble” to save the day, maybe goes a bit too far【Video】
- Sumida River Fireworks Festival aftermath: Not everyone in Japan has perfect manners after all
- Japanese deodorant sheets for ladies smell so nice some guys don’t need the actual girl