What would you get if you crossed the ancient capital of Japan with the massively successful Dragon Quest series of video games? Nope, it’s not a silly question, since this collaboration has already been realized in the form of “Nara Quest,” the funny title for a handful of amusing souvenirs from Nara Prefecture that parody the famous game franchise. Read on for a look at the clever goods!
If you’re lucky enough to take a trip over to Tokyo, it’s best to bring a little slice of Japan’s capital back home for those who missed out on your trip. But with all the delectable sweets and beautifully packaged treats, it can be a little overwhelming to choose the right one. So before you leave, be sure to take a look at this list of the top 10 omiyage you can only buy at Tokyo Station.
Jun 29, 2014
Sushi was once a strange delicacy confined to the shores of Japan. Thanks to its health benefits, the humble sushi has since travelled the world, popping up in all sorts of remote and obscure locations from Iceland to the Middle East.
Now sushi is on the move again, this time coming with you on your travels and hugging your luggage in the form of clever suitcase covers. With four designs to choose from, baggage claim carousels are set to look like giant sushi train conveyor belts this summer!
Oct 4, 2013
The Imperial Palace of Japan is a popular destination for tourists around the world. Aside from being the residence of the modern line of Japanese emperors, it’s also known for being the location of Edo Castle, home to the Tokugawa Shogunate. Being such a place steeped in culture and history, it’s definitely worth checking out, but that’s not the only reason. Tucked away in the imperial palace is a little known shop humbly called Kunaicho Seikatsu Kyodokumiai (Imperial Household Agency Cooperative) which sells food and items related to the imperial household. These items can only be found at this shop and they can’t be bought on-line.
This shop is largely unknown to even Japanese people, so our reporter Yoshio went in (after making the necessary reservation) to discover what limited edition treasures the Kunaicho Seikatsu Kyokumiai had to offer. Let’s see what he found in his photo-filled report!
Recently, tourists in Japan have been flocking to Kappabashi-dori, also known as Kitchen Town, before returning to their home countries. They come to the small shopping area located between Ueno and Asakusa, Tokyo in search of a hot souvenir item not entirely unique to Japan.
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Sep 6, 2013
Shimane Prefecture, ever heard of it? If your answer is a resounding “no,” you’re not alone. The oddly shaped prefecture stretching along the western coast of Japan is barely known within its own country, let alone abroad. But one disgruntled mascot is out to bring Shimane’s shortcomings to light, making fun of the prefecture’s lack of popularity and population, and giving the area a little boost in positive publicity online.
About half of the milk in Japan is produced in the beautiful and vast countryside of Hokkaido, the largest of Japan’s 47 prefectures and northernmost of Japan’s four main islands. As such, cows have become a symbol of the prefecture. Walk into any souvenir shop in the prefecture and you’re bound to find a few locally-produced snacks with bovine-inspired packaging.
On a recent trip to Hokkaido, one of our reporters came across one such snack that was a little less run-of-the-mill than your usual butter cookies: “Cow Poop?” chocolate mochi.
Jun 13, 2012
Following the opening of Evangelion Store Tokyo-01, and with the release of the third installment of the reboot series, Evangelion 3.0: You Can (Not) Redo, a new Evangelion souvenir shop is scheduled to open in the town of Hakone on 14 July.
Hakone, which serves as the backdrop for the Evangelion story (where it’s renamed as Tokyo-3), is happy to be home to the second official Evangelion store, called “Eva Shop” but is also hoping they don’t get a repeat of what happened two years ago.
Feb 21, 2012
Our correspondent who travelled to North Korea recently met with an unwelcome reception at Narita airport as he returned via Beijing. “Customs officials, without any idea it was about to happen, spent about 10 minutes going through my things” he described. “It’s a sketchy country, so I guess they have to do these things, but still – it’s disappointing.”
The result of the search was that he had to give up every single souvenir he got in North Korea.
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】1
- Too busy to wrap Christmas presents? Not if you’ve got 12 seconds, Japanese store shows【Video】2
- Rock band KISS collaborating with Sailor Moon Crystal’s Momoiro Clover Z3
- New Evangelion short film now streaming on animation studio’s website4
- Man parks over sidewalk guide for the blind, gets lesson in manners from Okinawan fourth-grader5
- Love dolls, strippers, jacuzzis and drugs: The Philippines’ largest prison gets raided by police6
- “2D vs. Katana” exhibition shows off recreations of swords from anime and video games in Osaka7
- Character images of new Digimon Adventure series released, expected to air in spring 20158
- Ready to tie the anime knot? Company offers marriage certificate for you and your 2D waifu9
- Artist magically transforms Sailor Moon characters into black women10
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood1
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】2
- Character images of new Digimon Adventure series released, expected to air in spring 20153
- Chinese dude bags super hot Ukrainian wife, generates major envy online4
- Life imitates (Sword) Art (Online) as Japanese gamers find they can’t log out of online RPG5
- Japan’s cutest rodent commuters take the high-road【Video】6
- Artist magically transforms Sailor Moon characters into black women7
- Our hero Ladybeard shows us and the world how to properly wear the much-talked about boob shirt8
- 39 looks at the lighter side of Asia9
- Evacuation orders issued as town in northern Japan is flooded by rising tidewaters10
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood1
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin2
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- How to say “I love you” in Japanese – 47 different ways 【Videos】5
- Japanese man proposes to girlfriend with Guinness World Record-winning GPS drawing6
- Historic Kyoto temple first in Japan to offer gay weddings7
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!8
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】9
- Hayao Miyazaki comments on Chihiro’s final test scene in Spirited Away10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】3
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China4
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood5
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin6
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours9
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】10
- Love dolls, strippers, jacuzzis and drugs: The Philippines’ largest prison gets raided by police
- “2D vs. Katana” exhibition shows off recreations of swords from anime and video games in Osaka
- Character images of new Digimon Adventure series released, expected to air in spring 2015
- Ready to tie the anime knot? Company offers marriage certificate for you and your 2D waifu
- Artist magically transforms Sailor Moon characters into black women
- Policewoman’s posterior produces poetic justice as she arrests man she says groped her on train
- Model and TV star Kayo Police went to Singapore to wish you a hot Christmas from the beach
- Taiwanese subway debuts second anime mascot, net users experience moe overload
- How to say “I love you” in Japanese – 47 different ways 【Videos】
- Commercial reminds Japan’s tired commuters about the drawbacks of living far away from work
- Fox Japan to release ultimate edition of Commando, announced in series of possibly drunken tweets
- Blogger offers four pieces of advice for foreign women looking for love with a Japanese guy
- OPPO’s new R5 smartphone is a multi-tool disguised as the thinnest cell phone ever
- Burger chain Lotteria trolls McDonald’s Japan’s potato shortage with pithy sign