When a new asteroid is discovered and its orbit is established, the right to name that floating chunk of matter is given to the astronomer who found it. And, somewhat unsurprisingly, a lot of the people who dedicate their lives to astroscience exhibit other nerdy hobbies as well! At least, we have to assume so given the number of space rocks with apparent ties to anime, manga, and other mainstream media. Who would have thought that the heavens are so full of otaku references!?
Regular RocketNews24 readers will know how much we love capsule hotels – and tiny spaces in general, for that matter – to the point that we were genuinely saddened when one of the country’s premier locations announced last month that it was to close its doors. So when we caught a glimpse of the new Pengheng Space Capsules Hotel in Shenzhen, China, which combines minimalist hotel accommodation with a futuristic vibe similar to that of the Evangelion hotel rooms we’ve drooled over for so long, we could barely contain our excitement.
Join us after the jump for a photo tour of this awesome new capsule hotel!
On August 29, for only the second time in the country’s history, Japan’s aerospace researchers managed to successfully retrieve a video capture module from the Pacific Ocean, bringing home some positively beautiful pictures from the Earth’s stratosphere. Amazingly, they accomplished this feat relying mostly on balloons and an iPhone!
More details about this awesome accomplishment and a collection of photographs taken by the space balloon after the jump.
As we mentioned last week, June 23rd’s full moon coincided with the celestial body passing through the closest point to Earth in its orbit, an event known as the supermoon. Unfortunately, last Sunday also coincided with scattered showers in the Tokyo area, and no matter how much fist-shaking we did, it proved futile in dispelling the cloudy skies.
Thankfully, lunar fans in other regions had better luck and were kind enough to share their photos and videos of the supermoon with the rest of us. Check out this stunning collection.
It used to be that to go to space you needed to join NASA and become an astronaut. But you’re an evil billionaire, and you’re far too busy being evil for all that training in the gravitron.
Lucky for you and whatever evil space plans you’re hatching, SXC (Space Expedition Corporation) offers the dream of space travel to any commoner with US$100,000 lying around, a pittance that will barely put a dent in your underground chamber of dubiously acquired gold bricks.
There are also a number of other aerospace companies offering a variety of space travel flavors, from a few minutes in orbit to a full 9 days at the International Space Station (ISS), complete with space walk. Let’s take a look at the different space travel packages offered, including one that costs US$150 million.
Some people like a little white noise or some relaxing music to help them sleep, but for us, sleep just won’t come unless there are epic sci-fi space battles playing out above our heads. Maybe we have a bizarrely specific type of sleep disorder.
Space: the final frontier. This is the voyage of a homemade rocket carrying the fearless Hello Kitty as its sole passenger. Its mission: to explore the effects of altitude on air pressure and temperature, and to boldly go where no Kitty has gone before… Read More
- Your holiday (counterfeit) gift-buying guide!1
- 13 surprising Japanese translations of American movie titles2
- Let’s learn a little Japanese with this dead squid in a parking lot3
- Chinese man leaps to his death during five-hour shopping trip with girlfriend4
- Men’s butts are shaped like green peppers, according to this butt illustration guide5
- Onsen trivia! Finding the hottest, highest, and healthiest hot springs in Japan6
- What Apple and Microsoft Would Look Like if Personified as Anime Characters7
- Biker/Photographer gives Google Street View car taste of its own medicine8
- HEMORRHOIDS! The Best of Comically Bad Japanese T-Shirts on Non-Japanese Torsos9
- Is There a Tiny Person Inside That Bird?! Pet Myna Abe-chan Impresses With His Conversational Skills10
- “Wait, you’re a dude? Meh, marry me anyway.” New male princess stealing hearts in China1
- Beautiful Chinese boy “traps” the hearts of Korean netizens 【Photos】2
- Nine unusual products from Japanese designer, Oki Sato3
- Cute credit cards could send you to the slammer4
- 10 incredible tiny houses in Japan: a photo tour5
- Live-action Attack on Titan gets release date, new director6
- The last photo of faithful dog Hachiko breaks our hearts7
- Girl runs away from home to stop her parents from buying a Japanese car8
- Subway mini skirt peeping tom found innocent9
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea10
- What the hell is this monster?? 【Updated】1
- Before and After: 31 Startling Images of Plastic Surgery in Korea 【Photo Album】2
- 45 adorable pictures of animals acting human 【Photos】3
- Chinese designer depicts Eastern vs. Western human behaviors in clever pictographs4
- When Two Amazing Worlds Collide: Welcome to the World of Cat Sushi!5
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong6
- 10 things Japan gets awesomely right7
- “Wait, you’re a dude? Meh, marry me anyway.” New male princess stealing hearts in China8
- Beautiful Chinese boy “traps” the hearts of Korean netizens 【Photos】9
- The amazing disaster relief equipment of Japan’s Self Defense Force10
- Before and After: 31 Startling Images of Plastic Surgery in Korea 【Photo Album】1
- 252 of Japan’s favorite animated gifs2
- What the hell is this monster?? 【Updated】3
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong4
- Chinese designer depicts Eastern vs. Western human behaviors in clever pictographs5
- Thinking about plastic surgery? This ad may make you laugh – or it could make you think twice!6
- Meet the new model set to make manga artists’ lives a whole lot easier7
- 10 things Japan gets awesomely right8
- When Two Amazing Worlds Collide: Welcome to the World of Cat Sushi!9
- Snake being pickled to create healing liquor awakens after 3 months and bites woman10
- Onsen trivia! Finding the hottest, highest, and healthiest hot springs in Japan
- What Apple and Microsoft Would Look Like if Personified as Anime Characters
- Biker/Photographer gives Google Street View car taste of its own medicine
- HEMORRHOIDS! The Best of Comically Bad Japanese T-Shirts on Non-Japanese Torsos
- Is There a Tiny Person Inside That Bird?! Pet Myna Abe-chan Impresses With His Conversational Skills
- Cute credit cards could send you to the slammer
- Beijing man caught on camera groping commuter from beneath her seat 【Video】
- Live-action Attack on Titan gets release date, new director
- “Wait, you’re a dude? Meh, marry me anyway.” New male princess stealing hearts in China
- We compare global attitudes about cosmetic surgery
- Beautiful Chinese boy “traps” the hearts of Korean netizens 【Photos】
- 16 films based on popular manga series hitting Japanese cinemas in 2014
- Freshman facepalms: Japanese college students struggle to answer basic astronomy questions