Rather than wading into the debate as to whether a tree covered in beautiful cherry blossoms or a piece of cutting edge technology is the more representative symbol of Japan, you could split the difference by awarding the title to one of the sakura cherry trees grown from seeds that were taken into space. Not only do they combine the country’s admiration of both nature and innovation, their seeds’ journey to the stars seems to have imparted some of them with the amazing ability to bloom in just half the time of regular cherry trees.
- Preston Phro
Apr 3, 2014
For a country that allegedly has little contact with the outside world, North Korea somehow manages to end up in the news an awful lot. While it’s hard to tell how much of what we hear and read is true, sometimes a nugget of truth–beautiful, hilarious truth–slips through the cracks of propaganda on both sides of the ideological line and leaves us giggling.
As you’ve probably heard, the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) has recently unveiled the logo for their year-old space agency, NADA. Though they may have expected fanfare or at least a bit of grudging respect, the main response they got was an Internet full of giggles.
Though Japan is well known for its abundance of large-eyed anime girls and unique otaku culture, the country is also world-renowned for its technology sector. One of Japan’s most active technology organizations is, of course, JAXA, the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency, which has sent numerous satellites and probes into the heavens. However, aside from a promotional video released last year, we have to admit that the thought of combining space and anything from otaku culture, like moe maids, never even crossed our minds.
Fortunately, there are people out there a bit more creativity than us! We were recently contacted by a reader who wanted to share his unique figure collection with RocketNews24. While there are many folks around the world who collect maid figures, we’ve never see anyone who could describe their collection with these two little words: “Space maids!
- Michelle Lynn Dinh
Feb 20, 2014
That’s one small step for man, one giant leap for…electrolytes?
The makers of Pocari Sweat, the unfortunately named Japanese sports drink with a salty flavor reminiscent of actual sweat, have just announced plans to launch the bottle beverage into space, hopefully making it the first drink to ever set foot bottle on the moon.
- Rachel Tackett
Dec 4, 2013
When a new asteroid is discovered and its orbit is established, the right to name that floating chunk of matter is given to the astronomer who found it. And, somewhat unsurprisingly, a lot of the people who dedicate their lives to astroscience exhibit other nerdy hobbies as well! At least, we have to assume so given the number of space rocks with apparent ties to anime, manga, and other mainstream media. Who would have thought that the heavens are so full of otaku references!?
- Philip Kendall
Nov 20, 2013
Regular RocketNews24 readers will know how much we love capsule hotels – and tiny spaces in general, for that matter – to the point that we were genuinely saddened when one of the country’s premier locations announced last month that it was to close its doors. So when we caught a glimpse of the new Pengheng Space Capsules Hotel in Shenzhen, China, which combines minimalist hotel accommodation with a futuristic vibe similar to that of the Evangelion hotel rooms we’ve drooled over for so long, we could barely contain our excitement.
Join us after the jump for a photo tour of this awesome new capsule hotel!
A whole new world: Japan captures fantastic view of the earth’s stratosphere using an iPhone 【Photos】
- Rachel Tackett
Sep 26, 2013
On August 29, for only the second time in the country’s history, Japan’s aerospace researchers managed to successfully retrieve a video capture module from the Pacific Ocean, bringing home some positively beautiful pictures from the Earth’s stratosphere. Amazingly, they accomplished this feat relying mostly on balloons and an iPhone!
More details about this awesome accomplishment and a collection of photographs taken by the space balloon after the jump.
- Casey Baseel
Jun 25, 2013
As we mentioned last week, June 23rd’s full moon coincided with the celestial body passing through the closest point to Earth in its orbit, an event known as the supermoon. Unfortunately, last Sunday also coincided with scattered showers in the Tokyo area, and no matter how much fist-shaking we did, it proved futile in dispelling the cloudy skies.
Thankfully, lunar fans in other regions had better luck and were kind enough to share their photos and videos of the supermoon with the rest of us. Check out this stunning collection.
Calling All Evil Billionaires: The Dream of Space Flight Can be Yours for a Fraction of Your Fortune
May 15, 2013
It used to be that to go to space you needed to join NASA and become an astronaut. But you’re an evil billionaire, and you’re far too busy being evil for all that training in the gravitron.
Lucky for you and whatever evil space plans you’re hatching, SXC (Space Expedition Corporation) offers the dream of space travel to any commoner with US$100,000 lying around, a pittance that will barely put a dent in your underground chamber of dubiously acquired gold bricks.
There are also a number of other aerospace companies offering a variety of space travel flavors, from a few minutes in orbit to a full 9 days at the International Space Station (ISS), complete with space walk. Let’s take a look at the different space travel packages offered, including one that costs US$150 million.
Some people like a little white noise or some relaxing music to help them sleep, but for us, sleep just won’t come unless there are epic sci-fi space battles playing out above our heads. Maybe we have a bizarrely specific type of sleep disorder.
Space: the final frontier. This is the voyage of a homemade rocket carrying the fearless Hello Kitty as its sole passenger. Its mission: to explore the effects of altitude on air pressure and temperature, and to boldly go where no Kitty has gone before… Read More
- Local thugs forced to fight pro Muay Thai fighters as punishment during Thai New Year festival1
- Stunning 22-year-old HD footage brings Tokyo of the ‘90s back to life2
- Tear-jerker: Brain tumor patient’s “final wish” is to find her husband a new girlfriend3
- Japanese people surprised to find that “popular Japanese store” Meiso doesn’t exist in Japan4
- REVIEW: Sony’s new tablet is thinner and lighter than the iPad Air, and Android fans will love it5
- Tokyo custom hamburger steak restaurant is all about choices, and all of them are delicious6
- The baffling reason three men spent 30 minutes in an Akihabara restroom together7
- We hope you’re not thirsty — Tokyo shuts down its vending machines for U.S. president’s visit8
- Classic Japanese painting “Picture Scroll of a Fart Battle” is exactly what it sounds like9
- If real animals were Pokémon, the world would be a much weirder place10
- The extreme lengths Samsung must go to make sure your Galaxy phone works perfectly1
- 12 gender-bent Disney and Ghibli characters that are utter perfection2
- Photos of women with and without make-up show that reality is what you make it3
- 10 Japanese expressions that sound delightfully strange and funny when translated4
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong5
- Japanese high school student becomes Twitter sensation showing difference between time with boyfriend and friends6
- Lady Gaga goes gaga for Hatsune Miku, makes virtual idol her opening act7
- Cat greets its returning owner with so much warmth we’d swear it was puppy love8
- Advice from Japanese women on dealing with your boyfriend’s anime girlfriend9
- “Racist” Air France geisha poster prompts satirical home-made fixes10
- Chinese Photoshop Trolls and the Half-Blood Prisoner of the Deathly Phoenix Goblet (Part 6)1
- Unfortunate Google employee forced to wander alone on eerie abandoned island for Street View photos2
- Daughter of Osamu Tezuka, God of Manga, discovers his stash of hand-drawn sexy mouse artwork3
- 【TBT】China’s Photoshop experts will fix your bad photos, but be careful what you wish for4
- The extreme lengths Samsung must go to make sure your Galaxy phone works perfectly5
- 10 incredible tiny houses in Japan: a photo tour6
- Little store managers take over FamilyMart in Taiwan, hilarity and tons of cute in store【Video】7
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong8
- Japanese netizens put reality on hold for a moment, fall in love with new attorney general of Crimea9
- Take your love of touching imitation breasts out on the go with Puni Puni Case For iPhone10
- Korean high schools allow “anything goes” yearbook photos, with hilarious results1
- Taiwan’s Gravity Max – Quite possibly the scariest roller coaster in the world2
- Don’t call them fat, call them Marshmallow Girls!3
- Japanese netizens put reality on hold for a moment, fall in love with new attorney general of Crimea4
- Beautiful gym babe impresses Chinese netizens with her incredible fitness!【Pics & GIFs】5
- Picture perfect siblings of 18 years apart melt the hearts of Chinese netizens【Photos】6
- Attack on Titan’s studio head talks sequels, keys to the hit anime’s success7
- Unfortunate Google employee forced to wander alone on eerie abandoned island for Street View photos8
- Chinese Photoshop Trolls and the Half-Blood Prisoner of the Deathly Phoenix Goblet (Part 6)9
- Ghibli’s Hayao Miyazaki says the anime industry’s problem is that it’s full of anime fans10
- Tokyo custom hamburger steak restaurant is all about choices, and all of them are delicious
- The baffling reason three men spent 30 minutes in an Akihabara restroom together
- We hope you’re not thirsty — Tokyo shuts down its vending machines for U.S. president’s visit
- Classic Japanese painting “Picture Scroll of a Fart Battle” is exactly what it sounds like
- If real animals were Pokémon, the world would be a much weirder place
- With the stuffed characters of the Moomin Café, you’ll never dine alone!
- Enjoy the ambiance of Okinawa’s aptly named Cave Cafe (plus “chest hair of the ancients”!)
- Japanese pig farmer shows the world how pigs should be treated
- Two months is a lifetime: Cancer-stricken 22-year-old gets married in the hospital
- The Five Japanese Streets That People of Japan Most Want to Visit
- Those freaky Hello Kitty contact lenses are back, and this time she brought friends!
- Kim Jong-un’s haircut takes over the world
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea