Rather than wading into the debate as to whether a tree covered in beautiful cherry blossoms or a piece of cutting edge technology is the more representative symbol of Japan, you could split the difference by awarding the title to one of the sakura cherry trees grown from seeds that were taken into space. Not only do they combine the country’s admiration of both nature and innovation, their seeds’ journey to the stars seems to have imparted some of them with the amazing ability to bloom in just half the time of regular cherry trees.
- Preston Phro
Apr 3, 2014
For a country that allegedly has little contact with the outside world, North Korea somehow manages to end up in the news an awful lot. While it’s hard to tell how much of what we hear and read is true, sometimes a nugget of truth–beautiful, hilarious truth–slips through the cracks of propaganda on both sides of the ideological line and leaves us giggling.
As you’ve probably heard, the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) has recently unveiled the logo for their year-old space agency, NADA. Though they may have expected fanfare or at least a bit of grudging respect, the main response they got was an Internet full of giggles.
Though Japan is well known for its abundance of large-eyed anime girls and unique otaku culture, the country is also world-renowned for its technology sector. One of Japan’s most active technology organizations is, of course, JAXA, the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency, which has sent numerous satellites and probes into the heavens. However, aside from a promotional video released last year, we have to admit that the thought of combining space and anything from otaku culture, like moe maids, never even crossed our minds.
Fortunately, there are people out there a bit more creativity than us! We were recently contacted by a reader who wanted to share his unique figure collection with RocketNews24. While there are many folks around the world who collect maid figures, we’ve never see anyone who could describe their collection with these two little words: “Space maids!
- Michelle Lynn Dinh
Feb 20, 2014
That’s one small step for man, one giant leap for…electrolytes?
The makers of Pocari Sweat, the unfortunately named Japanese sports drink with a salty flavor reminiscent of actual sweat, have just announced plans to launch the bottle beverage into space, hopefully making it the first drink to ever set foot bottle on the moon.
- Rachel Tackett
Dec 4, 2013
When a new asteroid is discovered and its orbit is established, the right to name that floating chunk of matter is given to the astronomer who found it. And, somewhat unsurprisingly, a lot of the people who dedicate their lives to astroscience exhibit other nerdy hobbies as well! At least, we have to assume so given the number of space rocks with apparent ties to anime, manga, and other mainstream media. Who would have thought that the heavens are so full of otaku references!?
- Philip Kendall
Nov 20, 2013
Regular RocketNews24 readers will know how much we love capsule hotels – and tiny spaces in general, for that matter – to the point that we were genuinely saddened when one of the country’s premier locations announced last month that it was to close its doors. So when we caught a glimpse of the new Pengheng Space Capsules Hotel in Shenzhen, China, which combines minimalist hotel accommodation with a futuristic vibe similar to that of the Evangelion hotel rooms we’ve drooled over for so long, we could barely contain our excitement.
Join us after the jump for a photo tour of this awesome new capsule hotel!
A whole new world: Japan captures fantastic view of the earth’s stratosphere using an iPhone 【Photos】
- Rachel Tackett
Sep 26, 2013
On August 29, for only the second time in the country’s history, Japan’s aerospace researchers managed to successfully retrieve a video capture module from the Pacific Ocean, bringing home some positively beautiful pictures from the Earth’s stratosphere. Amazingly, they accomplished this feat relying mostly on balloons and an iPhone!
More details about this awesome accomplishment and a collection of photographs taken by the space balloon after the jump.
- Casey Baseel
Jun 25, 2013
As we mentioned last week, June 23rd’s full moon coincided with the celestial body passing through the closest point to Earth in its orbit, an event known as the supermoon. Unfortunately, last Sunday also coincided with scattered showers in the Tokyo area, and no matter how much fist-shaking we did, it proved futile in dispelling the cloudy skies.
Thankfully, lunar fans in other regions had better luck and were kind enough to share their photos and videos of the supermoon with the rest of us. Check out this stunning collection.
Calling All Evil Billionaires: The Dream of Space Flight Can be Yours for a Fraction of Your Fortune
May 15, 2013
It used to be that to go to space you needed to join NASA and become an astronaut. But you’re an evil billionaire, and you’re far too busy being evil for all that training in the gravitron.
Lucky for you and whatever evil space plans you’re hatching, SXC (Space Expedition Corporation) offers the dream of space travel to any commoner with US$100,000 lying around, a pittance that will barely put a dent in your underground chamber of dubiously acquired gold bricks.
There are also a number of other aerospace companies offering a variety of space travel flavors, from a few minutes in orbit to a full 9 days at the International Space Station (ISS), complete with space walk. Let’s take a look at the different space travel packages offered, including one that costs US$150 million.
Some people like a little white noise or some relaxing music to help them sleep, but for us, sleep just won’t come unless there are epic sci-fi space battles playing out above our heads. Maybe we have a bizarrely specific type of sleep disorder.
Space: the final frontier. This is the voyage of a homemade rocket carrying the fearless Hello Kitty as its sole passenger. Its mission: to explore the effects of altitude on air pressure and temperature, and to boldly go where no Kitty has gone before… Read More
- Blogger’s silly video of types of dancers at Singapore clubs is trending in Japan1
- Live-action Attack on Titan confirmed for 2 films2
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight3
- New video from Wagakki Band “Hanabi” is an original, awesome song【J-Tunes】4
- Chiro the corgi talks, shakes hands, wiggles her bootie, and wins our hearts5
- That awkward moment when your phone rings on live TV… and then you make it worse 【Video】6
- Sumida River Fireworks Festival aftermath: Not everyone in Japan has perfect manners after all7
- What turned Tokyo Disneyland into the Loneliest Place on Earth last weekend?8
- Whiskey shaved ice: A frozen treat for adults in Kyoto9
- Japanese scientist predicts another major earthquake in Japan by 201710
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight1
- 16-year-old girl arrested for beheading classmate in Japan’s Nagasaki Prefecture2
- This watermelon might be the most disappointing thing you see today3
- Gamer discovers his deceased father’s ghost on an old Xbox game, challenges it to a race4
- Internet survey sheds light on how Japanese women deal with the hair ‘down there’5
- Vietnamese man, angry at wife, hatches bizarre revenge scheme: Cut off his own penis6
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker7
- What turned Tokyo Disneyland into the Loneliest Place on Earth last weekend?8
- These four Siberian Huskies probably have more followers than you on Instagram!9
- Five amazing Japanese Starbucks locations that let you keep sightseeing as you take a break10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】6
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight7
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land8
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic9
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】9
- This amazing water cake just may be the most delicate sweet ever created!10
- That awkward moment when your phone rings on live TV… and then you make it worse 【Video】
- Sumida River Fireworks Festival aftermath: Not everyone in Japan has perfect manners after all
- What turned Tokyo Disneyland into the Loneliest Place on Earth last weekend?
- Whiskey shaved ice: A frozen treat for adults in Kyoto
- Japanese scientist predicts another major earthquake in Japan by 2017
- This watermelon might be the most disappointing thing you see today
- Ryokan etiquette: What not to do when staying at a traditional Japanese inn
- From Sailor Moon to Freddy Krueger – The lovely cosplayers of Wonder Festival
- Pikachus overrunning Yokohama in the cutest rodent invasion ever 【Video】
- Not getting enough attention with your iPhone? Stick a couple of Iwashitas on it
- Are you a solo dining expert? Rank yourself with this Korean “lone diner guide”!
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker