Unlike the creature it features, the above image has been floating around online for a few years, but recently has returned back to Japanese shores. However, here such a situation has led to a decidedly punnier outcome. Let’s read what Japanese people have to say about it and maybe learn a little unusual Japanese along the way.
You, Me, And a Tanuki is a weekly featured blog run by Michelle, a Californian who is currently one of only two foreigners living in Chibu, a tiny fishing village on one of the Oki islands in Japan. Check back every Saturday for a new post or read more on her website here!
It’s squid fishing time in Chibu and when the waves aren’t too high, the horizon is sure to be speckled with the distant light of squid fishing vessels. Sometimes there are so many boats out at sea that it looks as if dawn is breaking.
Nov 30, 2012
Deep below the ocean lives the squid Chiroteuthis, known in Japan by the name Yurei Ika (Phantom Squid). The Japanese name comes from its ghost-like fluttering and floating movement.
It’s a squid seldom seen by people who don’t have access to a submarine and can visit their habitat 200 to 600 meters beneath the ocean. So when they started turning up in unprecedented numbers around the southeastern coast of Japan, experts became understandably alarmed.
Summers in Japan are unbearably long, hot and humid affairs that many of us would happily trade in for a couple more weeks of winter. But, sweaty or not, life goes on, so we do what we can to stay cool. Some invest in portable fans; some buy high-tech, sweat-wicking underwear; some make the fatal error of freezing a can of soda and seriously injuring themselves in the process.
Throwing a damp towel or facecloth into the freezer to use later as a frosty pick-me-up is a common method of beating the heat here in Japan, which is exactly what one young lady decided to do before heading off to ballet practice. Or so she thought… Read More
This photo has been showing up on various websites recently depicting glowing blue objects lining up along a shore. This beach is in Toyama, Japan and for the locals this isn’t such a crazy sight.
Before clicking “more” place your bets on what you think this is; algae, radioactive waste, aliens?
- How to say “I love you” in Japanese – 47 different ways 【Videos】1
- Oh no, osechi! Why don’t young people in Japan like eating traditional New Year’s dishes?2
- Japanese model builder wins at Gundam, makes a 3D model look like a flat drawing3
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!4
- Young man’s clever use of an umbrella saves injured kitten5
- Casual cosplay: for those who want to dress the part 365 days a year【Photos】6
- Japanese dictionary removes heteronormative definitions of love and sex7
- Store employee uses barcode scanner to defeat knife-wielding robber8
- The newer, cheaper Kakureya II: The perfect secret fort/box for studying, drinking, or napping9
- Does the way you cross your arms say anything about your personality? Japan thinks so10
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】1
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours2
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!3
- Turn an ordinary balloon into a smartphone case in seconds with this neat trick4
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute5
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters6
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer7
- Does the way you cross your arms say anything about your personality? Japan thinks so8
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world9
- Can you spot the problem that led to the recall of this otherwise cute Japanese New Year’s card?10
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”1
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher2
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】3
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school4
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours5
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises6
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit7
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make8
- One Piece manga sends off Naruto with a classy secret message9
- Clever Japanese pet owners find perfect cat beds…at IKEA! 【Photos】10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher3
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”4
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】5
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China6
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later7
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea10
- Casual cosplay: for those who want to dress the part 365 days a year【Photos】
- Japanese dictionary removes heteronormative definitions of love and sex
- Store employee uses barcode scanner to defeat knife-wielding robber
- The newer, cheaper Kakureya II: The perfect secret fort/box for studying, drinking, or napping
- Does the way you cross your arms say anything about your personality? Japan thinks so
- More adorable photos from Japan’s fox village
- Japanese film pros ranked their top movies to show kids, with Ghibli titles sweeping the top 3
- Love curry? Why not wear it around your neck? Plastic food neckpieces get netizens talking
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】
- Tokyo’s Rikugien garden: Beautiful for 300 years, but especially in autumn after dark
- Shimotsuki Matsuri: The extraordinary winter festival that inspired Ghibli’s ‘Spirited Away’
- “Hello Kitty Park” in China is set to open on New Year’s Day!