Unlike the creature it features, the above image has been floating around online for a few years, but recently has returned back to Japanese shores. However, here such a situation has led to a decidedly punnier outcome. Let’s read what Japanese people have to say about it and maybe learn a little unusual Japanese along the way.
You, Me, And a Tanuki is a weekly featured blog run by Michelle, a Californian who is currently one of only two foreigners living in Chibu, a tiny fishing village on one of the Oki islands in Japan. Check back every Saturday for a new post or read more on her website here!
It’s squid fishing time in Chibu and when the waves aren’t too high, the horizon is sure to be speckled with the distant light of squid fishing vessels. Sometimes there are so many boats out at sea that it looks as if dawn is breaking.
- Master Blaster
Nov 30, 2012
Deep below the ocean lives the squid Chiroteuthis, known in Japan by the name Yurei Ika (Phantom Squid). The Japanese name comes from its ghost-like fluttering and floating movement.
It’s a squid seldom seen by people who don’t have access to a submarine and can visit their habitat 200 to 600 meters beneath the ocean. So when they started turning up in unprecedented numbers around the southeastern coast of Japan, experts became understandably alarmed.
Summers in Japan are unbearably long, hot and humid affairs that many of us would happily trade in for a couple more weeks of winter. But, sweaty or not, life goes on, so we do what we can to stay cool. Some invest in portable fans; some buy high-tech, sweat-wicking underwear; some make the fatal error of freezing a can of soda and seriously injuring themselves in the process.
Throwing a damp towel or facecloth into the freezer to use later as a frosty pick-me-up is a common method of beating the heat here in Japan, which is exactly what one young lady decided to do before heading off to ballet practice. Or so she thought… Read More
This photo has been showing up on various websites recently depicting glowing blue objects lining up along a shore. This beach is in Toyama, Japan and for the locals this isn’t such a crazy sight.
Before clicking “more” place your bets on what you think this is; algae, radioactive waste, aliens?
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman1
- Grandpa makes Totoro for grandkids after move2
- Beautiful 400-year-old garden in Okayama about to be replaced with condominium complex3
- Inconsiderate commuter behavior in Korea – A photo guide4
- 【Monday Kickstart】A collection of cats sitting in funny poses5
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker6
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!7
- Japanese netizens swoon for epic husky/stuffed cat love story8
- Twitter trend of the week – posting cosplay pictures side by side with originals9
- Our take on Studio Ghibli’s newest anime, When Marnie Was There【Impressions】10
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Japanese artist arrested for sharing 3-D printable data of her vagina3
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic4
- Emotional anime short celebrates Tokyo Station’s 100th birthday【Video】5
- This man’s face left Chinese internet users in amazement, agony and confusion 【Photos】6
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】7
- Internet reacts to Taiwanese yoga instructor’s wildly unnecessary opening pitch striptease8
- Little boy comforts scared girl at school, is manlier than your fully grown adult boyfriend9
- Creative pet “haircuts”: Funky or funny? You decide.10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】6
- 16 photos that show why Singapore has the world’s best airline7
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land8
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic9
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- What if Sailor Moon characters were lingerie models? They’d look stunning like this 【Photos】9
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!
- Japanese netizens swoon for epic husky/stuffed cat love story
- Twitter trend of the week – posting cosplay pictures side by side with originals
- Our take on Studio Ghibli’s newest anime, When Marnie Was There【Impressions】
- Visitors to this Wakayama beach get to swim with whales this summer
- Is Attack on Titan a documentary? Mikasa spotted in Russia!
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!
- Tokyo museum offers beautiful exhibit showcasing the architecture of Studio Ghibli
- Honey-sweet Winnie the Pooh cakes now on sale — and you’ll love the packaging! 【Taste Test】
- Taboo behavior abroad according to Japanese travelers
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea
- Toma Toma Sparkling: Taste-testing the tomato juice that will give you a hangover