The Japanese government recently released its 2014 white paper on suicide in the nation. While the continuing downward trend in the number of people taking their own lives is encouraging, the statistics also revealed the sobering and troubling fact that suicide is the leading cause of death among Japanese aged 15 to 34.
In 2013, a grand total of 10,363,904 foreign tourists visited Japan! That number surpasses the goal of the Visit Japan Campaign, which began in 2003 with a goal to increase the number of overseas visitors to 10 million.
The Japanese language version of popular travel planning and information website TripAdvisor was quite excited by this news, and recently produced their own visual graphic detailing some fun facts about foreign tourists in the Land of the Rising Sun during 2013. Can you guess which country most of the visitors came from, or which country had the highest percentage jump in visitors? How about the most popular tourist destinations for foreigners traveling in Japan? Find out all that and more after the jump.
- Rona Moon
Dec 20, 2013
From December 6-9 of this year, Japanese Facebook dating app Match Alarm quizzed 2,944 singles in their twenties and thirties about their dating habits. They were asked to identify if they prefer to date someone of the same age, older or younger. Hmmm…Do we have to pick just one??
A resounding 81.3% of women replied that they would rather be with a silver fox than a younger stud. And one in three men said they preferred an older lover.
Kaspersky Lab, the Russian computer security company, has recently released detailed statistics about what kids are attempting to access on their parents’ computers.
Surprisingly enough, the number one thing kids worldwide were looking for wasn’t pornography!
A Month After Japan’s Strict New Download Law Comes into Effect, Survey Suggests that Consumers are Spending Less Than Ever on Music
- Philip Kendall
Nov 5, 2012
As of 1 October this year, knowingly downloading copyrighted music and video in Japan became punishable by up to two years in prison and a 2 million yen (US$25,000) penalty.
The law was passed in June after the Japanese music industry, the second largest in the world after the US, reported continued financial losses, with analysts suggesting that just one in 10 downloads were legal.
Since the law came into effect, there have certainly been some changes, and many internet users have become reluctant to click that download button for fear of receiving a hefty fine, meaning that the law has been a success in a way.
According to a recent statistical survey, however, since the law was passed, sales of music in Japan have continued to fall and consumers are actually showing less interest in music than ever before…
- When first-try character bentos go wrong 【Photos】1
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked2
- Revealed! Japan’s top 10 handsome samurai【Photos】3
- Ten things we learned at USJ: A muggle’s guide to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter4
- Is it safe to dance yet? Uncertainty continues to reign supreme in Japan’s club scene5
- 35 fascinating photos of Korea from 100 years ago (before K-dramas took over Asia)6
- Raw, frozen eggs are the new food trend in Japan, apparently7
- Shocking footage of accident on Japanese highway reminds us of the fragility of life 【Video】8
- This set of stairs at Kitakata Station really cares9
- Has a Japanese company found the fountain of youth? One man’s youthful skin suggests so10
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls1
- Clever font sneaks pronunciation guide for English speakers into Japanese katakana characters2
- Thai schoolgirl uniforms poised to edge out traditional Japanese ones in Japan?3
- Cat man from Kyushu walks nine cats in a stroller, draws crowds in Tokyo4
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked5
- The 10 best anime of the fall season, according to Japanese otaku6
- Awesome Air Umbrella from China keeps you dry with blasts of air7
- Is the New Nintendo 3DS worth the purchase? Early adopters in Japan share their thoughts8
- Korean activists upset over plans to sew the anuses of river rats shut, make them eat each other9
- Why does Engrish happen in Japan?10
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】1
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China2
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked3
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea4
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls5
- Watch liquid turn into food at Japanese sample food factory 【Videos】6
- Japanese mothers react to being called by their first names after years of just being “Mama”7
- 10 things foreigners do that Japanese people find amusing8
- “Beautiful foreigner walking a polar bear” spotted at Shibuya’s famous crossing9
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls10
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】1
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star2
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls3
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】4
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China5
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later6
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady10
- 35 fascinating photos of Korea from 100 years ago (before K-dramas took over Asia)
- Raw, frozen eggs are the new food trend in Japan, apparently
- Shocking footage of accident on Japanese highway reminds us of the fragility of life 【Video】
- This set of stairs at Kitakata Station really cares
- Has a Japanese company found the fountain of youth? One man’s youthful skin suggests so
- Fukuoka’s “Wisteria Tunnel” delights visitors with pretty pastel petals
- Election time or erection time? Taiwanese political ad features sexy bicyclist, and that’s about it
- Bus otaku can now buy “request stop” buttons from Tokyu Bus Corp, push to their heart’s content
- Trending on Twitter, girls draw themselves as dashing high school boys【Photos】
- Considering a tattoo? Take it for a removable test run with these tattoo sleeves
- Celebrate New Years in Pokémon style — with a monster ball filled with traditional osechi food!
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- It’s BAAAACK! The Tower Cheeseburger from Lotteria — but for ONE DAY only!