The Japanese government recently released its 2014 white paper on suicide in the nation. While the continuing downward trend in the number of people taking their own lives is encouraging, the statistics also revealed the sobering and troubling fact that suicide is the leading cause of death among Japanese aged 15 to 34.
In 2013, a grand total of 10,363,904 foreign tourists visited Japan! That number surpasses the goal of the Visit Japan Campaign, which began in 2003 with a goal to increase the number of overseas visitors to 10 million.
The Japanese language version of popular travel planning and information website TripAdvisor was quite excited by this news, and recently produced their own visual graphic detailing some fun facts about foreign tourists in the Land of the Rising Sun during 2013. Can you guess which country most of the visitors came from, or which country had the highest percentage jump in visitors? How about the most popular tourist destinations for foreigners traveling in Japan? Find out all that and more after the jump.
- Rona Moon
Dec 20, 2013
From December 6-9 of this year, Japanese Facebook dating app Match Alarm quizzed 2,944 singles in their twenties and thirties about their dating habits. They were asked to identify if they prefer to date someone of the same age, older or younger. Hmmm…Do we have to pick just one??
A resounding 81.3% of women replied that they would rather be with a silver fox than a younger stud. And one in three men said they preferred an older lover.
Kaspersky Lab, the Russian computer security company, has recently released detailed statistics about what kids are attempting to access on their parents’ computers.
Surprisingly enough, the number one thing kids worldwide were looking for wasn’t pornography!
A Month After Japan’s Strict New Download Law Comes into Effect, Survey Suggests that Consumers are Spending Less Than Ever on Music
- Philip Kendall
Nov 5, 2012
As of 1 October this year, knowingly downloading copyrighted music and video in Japan became punishable by up to two years in prison and a 2 million yen (US$25,000) penalty.
The law was passed in June after the Japanese music industry, the second largest in the world after the US, reported continued financial losses, with analysts suggesting that just one in 10 downloads were legal.
Since the law came into effect, there have certainly been some changes, and many internet users have become reluctant to click that download button for fear of receiving a hefty fine, meaning that the law has been a success in a way.
According to a recent statistical survey, however, since the law was passed, sales of music in Japan have continued to fall and consumers are actually showing less interest in music than ever before…
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman1
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old girl to raise her to be his “ideal girl”2
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker3
- Inconsiderate commuter behavior in Korea – A photo guide4
- Grandpa makes Totoro for grandkids after move5
- Our take on Studio Ghibli’s newest anime, When Marnie Was There【Impressions】6
- Tokyo museum offers beautiful exhibit showcasing the architecture of Studio Ghibli7
- Beautiful 400-year-old garden in Okayama about to be replaced with condominium complex8
- More than one way to skin a cat? Japanese YouTuber shows how to “open” a cat with belly rubs9
- Emotional anime short celebrates Tokyo Station’s 100th birthday【Video】10
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- This man’s face left Chinese internet users in amazement, agony and confusion 【Photos】3
- Emotional anime short celebrates Tokyo Station’s 100th birthday【Video】4
- Internet reacts to Taiwanese yoga instructor’s wildly unnecessary opening pitch striptease5
- Creative pet “haircuts”: Funky or funny? You decide.6
- Is Attack on Titan a documentary? Mikasa spotted in Russia!7
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】8
- 5 amazingly cute cosplayers who you’ll run into at anime conventions9
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- 16 photos that show why Singapore has the world’s best airline6
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】7
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land8
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic9
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- What if Sailor Moon characters were lingerie models? They’d look stunning like this 【Photos】9
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】10
- Our take on Studio Ghibli’s newest anime, When Marnie Was There【Impressions】
- Tokyo museum offers beautiful exhibit showcasing the architecture of Studio Ghibli
- Beautiful 400-year-old garden in Okayama about to be replaced with condominium complex
- More than one way to skin a cat? Japanese YouTuber shows how to “open” a cat with belly rubs
- Emotional anime short celebrates Tokyo Station’s 100th birthday【Video】
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea
- 【Monday Kickstart】A collection of cats sitting in funny poses
- Second episode of Sailor Moon Crystal brings its second accessories with Usagi’s earrings
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!
- Japanese netizens swoon for epic husky/stuffed cat love story
- Twitter trend of the week – posting cosplay pictures side by side with originals
- Honey-sweet Winnie the Pooh cakes now on sale — and you’ll love the packaging! 【Taste Test】
- Is Attack on Titan a documentary? Mikasa spotted in Russia!
- Metal Gear Solid V’s child soldiers make an accidental news cameo