LINE is Japan’s most popular instant messaging platform and it came to its place on top via cute emoji “stickers.” But maybe you’ve had enough of the cutesy bears and sparkling hearts. Maybe you need to let out some emoji anger when your girlfriend is being a bit clingy with her texts. Fear not! The LINE stickers of your dreams have been released and they are just as tough, and occasionally gruesome, as you want them to be! Welcome into the ring, Street Fighter II!
Aug 21, 2014
Whenever I’m asked if I’m a dog or a cat person, I can always respond quite easily: “Neither.” I’m absolutely convinced fish make the best pets, since they’re quiet, relaxing, and never pee or cough things up on the carpet.
And just in case that wasn’t enough to sell you, consider one more thing fish can now do: play a game of Street Fighter II.
The brainchild of martial arts expert and lifelong Street Fighter devotee Joey Ansah, live-action series Assassin’s Fist was finally released on May 23 this year. Of course, you could stay home and watch the episodes on YouTube via Machinama‘s official channel, but if you happen to be in Tokyo on August 2, you could take in a special screening of the entire series in one night!
Jul 4, 2014
Back in Street Fighter II‘s heyday, I was always bothered by Chun-Li’s claim to be “the strongest woman in the world.” It’s odd in the first place that she would put a glass ceiling over herself by claiming to be only the strongest woman rather than the strongest person, but this is only magnified by the fact she was (at the time) the only woman in the global tournament.
However, now new animated gif evidence has emerged revealing why Chun-Li was so hung up on calling herself the strongest woman. It seems she spends most of her time randomly attacking other females with fireballs and spinning bird kicks without warning.
Jul 2, 2014
While Mortal Kombat gets most of the attention, whether positive or negative, for violence in fighting video games, Capcom’s Street Fighter II, the title that established the genre as gamers know it today, had some pretty grisly graphics, too. Unlike modern polygon fighters which zoom in on the victorious character as he or she strikes a victory pose, Street fighter II cut away to a different screen after each match, which showed the gory details of what a losing combatant would look like after taking a few too many hadokens or spinning bird kicks to the face.
Now, with a new set of iPhone cases, you can adorn your smartphone with the losing portrait of the Street Fighter II character you like best, or perhaps hate the most.
May 19, 2014
We bring good news and bad news. Remember back in February when we brought you a collection of gorgeous Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist production stills? Well, Machinima, Assassin’s Fist Limited, and Capcom U.S.A. have stepped it up with an official trailer and release date, and the trailer is as awesome as we hoped it would be.
The bad news is, the release date isn’t until May 23! That’s…too many sleeps away!
Apr 3, 2014
Even as the number of gamers worldwide continues to grow, video games remain a regular scapegoat for poor social skills, low grades, and neck beard-level hygiene. This holds true even in Japan, where parents and educators commonly voice their fear that without a strict curfew or school rules requiring pupils to head home straight after class, they might give in to temptation and –gasp!- stop off to play a few games at the arcade.
Game fans in Japan are finally getting some good press, though. For starters, studies show that playing Nintendo’s perennial hit Super Mario 64 can improve both your memory and sense of direction. And if your pursuits are more monetary than mental, mastery of fighting games can even earn you a nice-sized chunk of cold hard cash, like it did for the Japanese competitors who dominated the recently held Id Global Tournament in Korea.
Mar 31, 2014
The only thing we love more than videos about our favourite forms of entertainment are crossover videos that bring them together in one place. Doing precisely that, a talented British animator has just made our Monday that bit more bearable by posting a video titled “Ryu VS Jesse” to YouTube, which combines the worlds of much-loved video game Street Fighter and smash TV show Breaking Bad. And the result is simply awesome.
Full video after the jump.
Mar 27, 2014
As we have come to learn over the years, Japan really loves its capsule toys and mobile phone accessories, and there’s always some cute new bit of plastic to attach to your person or use to brighten up your electronic devices. But for fans of the original Capcom fighter Street Fighter II (which is everyone, surely!?) we have some extra good news today.
A new series of models, showing the world warriors not in their typically magnificent fighting poses but on their knees and with their noses touching the ground, begging for forgiveness, is due to be released later this year.
Mar 17, 2014
I grew up watching the characters on Sesame Street count numbers, spell words, and sing songs about goldfish and birds. Even after I had outgrown the long-running children’s series, I had to sit through it again while babysitting my little cousins. And my guess is that many of you out there went through a similar experience since the show has been on TV since 1969 and is broadcast in over 140 countries worldwide.
How many of you then subsequently got hooked on to the arcade game Street Fighter II in your school days? I definitely did, and this guy called gavacho13 on Deviantart probably did too, as he has been creating some awesome illustrations of the Sesame Street Fighters!
Feb 27, 2014
Based on Capcom’s hugely popular Street Fighter fighting games, upcoming TV series Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist began life back in 2010 as a mere seed of an idea. Three years later, fans of the video games went nuts when the project surfaced on Kickstarter asking for funding, only for it to suddenly disappear again when it was snapped up by a private production company.
Since then there has been so little news about Assassin’s Fist that we were starting to wonder if it would ever see the light of day, but recently released photos and one website’s extremely positive first impressions have our hands tingling with hadouken power more than ever.
By the time Street Fighter II hit the arcades the concept of getting a high score was almost completely obsolete. Still, millions of the game’s fans around the world couldn’t get enough of honing their martial arts skills on that hapless sedan for tons of meaningless points.
Someone at Turkish insurance company Anadolu Sigorta certainly felt that way too. So they took a moment to remind prospective clients that their cars are always in jeopardy – even from world warriors.
Oct 30, 2013
Imagine if the characters from Street Fighter, Capcom’s classic fighting game, were born as members of the opposite sex, with the same amount of physical strength and fighting spirit but a decidedly different physiques. Thanks to a fan-made short movie by Really Clever Androids, we don’t have to wonder what to expect from a world like that. This awesome three-minute clip gives us a pretty good idea of the conflict and copious cleavage we might encounter. Let’s just say that these genderswapped Street Fighter folks really know how to bring it!
Sep 24, 2013
The internet in China was lit up recently by photos of a young model showing off her rather meaty upper-arms. Being titled “China’s Most Beautiful Man,” a large number of netizens are declaring Photoshop shenanigans afoot, but all agree that her photos dressed up as Street Fighter mainstay Chun-Li are “kind of hot”.
Sep 17, 2013
Montreal-based artist and owner of personal blog Novamesh Arman Akopian (perhaps better known by his DeviantArt tag of GUYJIN) is causing quite the stir here in Japan today with a series of illustrations depicting the cast of Capcom’s genre-defining fighting game series Street Fighter years after the events of the game’s martial arts tournament.
Tremendously dark but expertly drawn and with detailed character descriptions alongside each illustration, we learn that things are not looking good for the majority of the Street Fighter crew, with Blanka struggling with alcoholism, Guile’s “sonic boom” attack eventually causing him to go deaf, and Chun-Li… well, Chun-Li is still looking as flexible and muscular as ever.
Jun 3, 2013
We’ve seen some pretty quirky artistic interpretations of arcade fist-and-fireball fest Street Fighter in our time, but this one quite took our breath away.
Before you say it, yes we know the above image looks like little more than a mass of triangles suspended in midair, but we’re absolutely positive that once you’ve seen the following video in motion, you’ll swear you’re watching the characters from everyone’s favourite arcade fighter performing their signature moves before your very eyes.
Feb 1, 2013
Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, it is Friday! And that can only mean one thing: it’s time to kick back and relax with another dose of nonsensical video from Japan!
Courtesy of our friends over at Niconico, the following video features a collage of clips from 1990s beat-em-up classic Street Fighter II, spliced with, shoehorned into and duct-taped to the theme tune from non other than iconic Japanese animation Doraemon.
It doesn’t make any sense. But then again, does it have to?
- Make your instant coffee 10 times yummier with this one simple trick1
- Disney’s Baymax appears in curry, hot pots, and more, thanks to cheesy food-based pun【Photos】2
- Japanese opera singer records an incredible cover of Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody”3
- Ariana Grande is learning hiragana and Japan can’t stop talking about it4
- Blast your own Kamehameha at the “Let’s fire a Kamehamaha Martial Arts Tournament” event!5
- Could this teen’s simple but genius idea help put an end to cyber bullying?6
- Around Japan in 47 rice balls: Mr. Sato buys each prefecture’s musubi all from one Tokyo shop7
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”8
- Team aims to pierce moon with Evangelion’s Spear of Longinus9
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time10
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”1
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time2
- The cat hairband, for when cat ears just aren’t enough3
- No more photo retouches! New makeup for cosplayers claims to create photo-perfect skin4
- Cross-dressing talent Matsuko Deluxe: AKB opening the Tokyo Olympics “would embarrass Japan”5
- Do clothes make the man or the man make the clothes? Japanese Twitter user tries to find out6
- Japanese opera singer records an incredible cover of Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody”7
- Ninja-cats are hiding in homes around the world and we have 20 photos to prove it8
- Cross-dressing Cosplay Idol Group a Huge Hit in China9
- Side-boob Shirt is the useless evolution of last year’s Boob Turtleneck10
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”1
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing2
- Cosplay ideals vs. cosplay reality, a.k.a. cool vs. funny 【Photos】3
- Internet ready to shut up and take your money as preorders finally start for Cat Ear Headphones4
- Edo era Samurai were pretty gay5
- Ugly-cute makeup genius feeds off negative troll comments on Twitter6
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time7
- Teacher draws over students’ doodles to make red pen masterpieces8
- Photos of people lining up outside of the Sapporo Apple Store make us feel positively frozen9
- Netizens hatch adorable baby birds from supermarket eggs, provide evidence10
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”1
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood2
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】5
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”6
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school7
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing8
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises9
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit10
- Could this teen’s simple but genius idea help put an end to cyber bullying?
- Around Japan in 47 rice balls: Mr. Sato buys each prefecture’s musubi all from one Tokyo shop
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”
- Team aims to pierce moon with Evangelion’s Spear of Longinus
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time
- Yoro shisetsu: Japan’s progressive joint care centers where kids and seniors interact
- Japanese wasp-filled crackers: Their sting is far worse than a bite
- Tuna born from mackerel: Japanese scientists develop surrogate tech to save threatened species
- “Underwater Knee-High Girls” goes to Taiwan! Exhibition including new “Yuri” photos to be held
- Tokyo Disneyland raising admission, because it’s the Happiest Place on Earth, not the cheapest
- In a country steeped in tradition, two prefectures are completely void of historical temples
- Dattebayo! 12 awesome cast photos from the upcoming Naruto live spectacular
- Coffee makes you sleepy! Nutritionist explains the surprising truth about caffeine