The brainchild of martial arts expert and lifelong Street Fighter devotee Joey Ansah, live-action series Assassin’s Fist was finally released on May 23 this year. Of course, you could stay home and watch the episodes on YouTube via Machinama‘s official channel, but if you happen to be in Tokyo on August 2, you could take in a special screening of the entire series in one night!
- Master Blaster
Jul 4, 2014
Back in Street Fighter II‘s heyday, I was always bothered by Chun-Li’s claim to be “the strongest woman in the world.” It’s odd in the first place that she would put a glass ceiling over herself by claiming to be only the strongest woman rather than the strongest person, but this is only magnified by the fact she was (at the time) the only woman in the global tournament.
However, now new animated gif evidence has emerged revealing why Chun-Li was so hung up on calling herself the strongest woman. It seems she spends most of her time randomly attacking other females with fireballs and spinning bird kicks without warning.
- Casey Baseel
Jul 2, 2014
While Mortal Kombat gets most of the attention, whether positive or negative, for violence in fighting video games, Capcom’s Street Fighter II, the title that established the genre as gamers know it today, had some pretty grisly graphics, too. Unlike modern polygon fighters which zoom in on the victorious character as he or she strikes a victory pose, Street fighter II cut away to a different screen after each match, which showed the gory details of what a losing combatant would look like after taking a few too many hadokens or spinning bird kicks to the face.
Now, with a new set of iPhone cases, you can adorn your smartphone with the losing portrait of the Street Fighter II character you like best, or perhaps hate the most.
We bring good news and bad news. Remember back in February when we brought you a collection of gorgeous Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist production stills? Well, Machinima, Assassin’s Fist Limited, and Capcom U.S.A. have stepped it up with an official trailer and release date, and the trailer is as awesome as we hoped it would be.
The bad news is, the release date isn’t until May 23! That’s…too many sleeps away!
- Casey Baseel
Apr 3, 2014
Even as the number of gamers worldwide continues to grow, video games remain a regular scapegoat for poor social skills, low grades, and neck beard-level hygiene. This holds true even in Japan, where parents and educators commonly voice their fear that without a strict curfew or school rules requiring pupils to head home straight after class, they might give in to temptation and –gasp!- stop off to play a few games at the arcade.
Game fans in Japan are finally getting some good press, though. For starters, studies show that playing Nintendo’s perennial hit Super Mario 64 can improve both your memory and sense of direction. And if your pursuits are more monetary than mental, mastery of fighting games can even earn you a nice-sized chunk of cold hard cash, like it did for the Japanese competitors who dominated the recently held Id Global Tournament in Korea.
- Philip Kendall
Mar 31, 2014
The only thing we love more than videos about our favourite forms of entertainment are crossover videos that bring them together in one place. Doing precisely that, a talented British animator has just made our Monday that bit more bearable by posting a video titled “Ryu VS Jesse” to YouTube, which combines the worlds of much-loved video game Street Fighter and smash TV show Breaking Bad. And the result is simply awesome.
Full video after the jump.
- Philip Kendall
Mar 27, 2014
As we have come to learn over the years, Japan really loves its capsule toys and mobile phone accessories, and there’s always some cute new bit of plastic to attach to your person or use to brighten up your electronic devices. But for fans of the original Capcom fighter Street Fighter II (which is everyone, surely!?) we have some extra good news today.
A new series of models, showing the world warriors not in their typically magnificent fighting poses but on their knees and with their noses touching the ground, begging for forgiveness, is due to be released later this year.
- Joan Coello
Mar 17, 2014
I grew up watching the characters on Sesame Street count numbers, spell words, and sing songs about goldfish and birds. Even after I had outgrown the long-running children’s series, I had to sit through it again while babysitting my little cousins. And my guess is that many of you out there went through a similar experience since the show has been on TV since 1969 and is broadcast in over 140 countries worldwide.
How many of you then subsequently got hooked on to the arcade game Street Fighter II in your school days? I definitely did, and this guy called gavacho13 on Deviantart probably did too, as he has been creating some awesome illustrations of the Sesame Street Fighters!
- Philip Kendall
Feb 27, 2014
Based on Capcom’s hugely popular Street Fighter fighting games, upcoming TV series Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist began life back in 2010 as a mere seed of an idea. Three years later, fans of the video games went nuts when the project surfaced on Kickstarter asking for funding, only for it to suddenly disappear again when it was snapped up by a private production company.
Since then there has been so little news about Assassin’s Fist that we were starting to wonder if it would ever see the light of day, but recently released photos and one website’s extremely positive first impressions have our hands tingling with hadouken power more than ever.
By the time Street Fighter II hit the arcades the concept of getting a high score was almost completely obsolete. Still, millions of the game’s fans around the world couldn’t get enough of honing their martial arts skills on that hapless sedan for tons of meaningless points.
Someone at Turkish insurance company Anadolu Sigorta certainly felt that way too. So they took a moment to remind prospective clients that their cars are always in jeopardy – even from world warriors.
- Rachel Tackett
Oct 30, 2013
Imagine if the characters from Street Fighter, Capcom’s classic fighting game, were born as members of the opposite sex, with the same amount of physical strength and fighting spirit but a decidedly different physiques. Thanks to a fan-made short movie by Really Clever Androids, we don’t have to wonder what to expect from a world like that. This awesome three-minute clip gives us a pretty good idea of the conflict and copious cleavage we might encounter. Let’s just say that these genderswapped Street Fighter folks really know how to bring it!
- Master Blaster
Sep 24, 2013
The internet in China was lit up recently by photos of a young model showing off her rather meaty upper-arms. Being titled “China’s Most Beautiful Man,” a large number of netizens are declaring Photoshop shenanigans afoot, but all agree that her photos dressed up as Street Fighter mainstay Chun-Li are “kind of hot”.
- Philip Kendall
Sep 17, 2013
Montreal-based artist and owner of personal blog Novamesh Arman Akopian (perhaps better known by his DeviantArt tag of GUYJIN) is causing quite the stir here in Japan today with a series of illustrations depicting the cast of Capcom’s genre-defining fighting game series Street Fighter years after the events of the game’s martial arts tournament.
Tremendously dark but expertly drawn and with detailed character descriptions alongside each illustration, we learn that things are not looking good for the majority of the Street Fighter crew, with Blanka struggling with alcoholism, Guile’s “sonic boom” attack eventually causing him to go deaf, and Chun-Li… well, Chun-Li is still looking as flexible and muscular as ever.
- Philip Kendall
Jun 3, 2013
We’ve seen some pretty quirky artistic interpretations of arcade fist-and-fireball fest Street Fighter in our time, but this one quite took our breath away.
Before you say it, yes we know the above image looks like little more than a mass of triangles suspended in midair, but we’re absolutely positive that once you’ve seen the following video in motion, you’ll swear you’re watching the characters from everyone’s favourite arcade fighter performing their signature moves before your very eyes.
- Philip Kendall
Feb 1, 2013
Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, it is Friday! And that can only mean one thing: it’s time to kick back and relax with another dose of nonsensical video from Japan!
Courtesy of our friends over at Niconico, the following video features a collage of clips from 1990s beat-em-up classic Street Fighter II, spliced with, shoehorned into and duct-taped to the theme tune from non other than iconic Japanese animation Doraemon.
It doesn’t make any sense. But then again, does it have to?
- Fending off unwanted Kabe-don: A guide1
- Beautiful when she’s angry? TV series features model yelling at the camera, and nothing else2
- BABYMETAL plays first ever US show, bootleg videos leave us wowed3
- Blogger offers her top four tips for Japanese women dating foreign guys4
- Dashboard camera captures the fear and chaos of Kaohsiung’s deadly gas explosion5
- Spongebob and friends get stunning human makeovers, are surprisingly eye-candylicious!【Pics】6
- Peaches packaged in pairs of panties provoke protests in PRC7
- Pikachus overrunning Yokohama in the cutest rodent invasion ever 【Video】8
- Attack on Titan and Evangelion coming to Universal Studios Japan9
- Hairy armpit selfies have invaded China’s biggest social networking platform【Photos】10
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight1
- Peaches packaged in pairs of panties provoke protests in PRC2
- Some flights are more cramped than others – 29 sumo wrestlers pack into one tiny plane3
- 16-year-old girl arrested for beheading classmate in Japan’s Nagasaki Prefecture4
- This watermelon might be the most disappointing thing you see today5
- Hairy armpit selfies have invaded China’s biggest social networking platform【Photos】6
- BABYMETAL plays first ever US show, bootleg videos leave us wowed7
- Guitarist perfectly recreates disgraced Japanese politician’s uncontrollable sobbing【Video】8
- Pikachus overrunning Yokohama in the cutest rodent invasion ever 【Video】9
- Japanese farmer uses terrifying scarecrow, traumatizes children10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!4
- Guitarist perfectly recreates disgraced Japanese politician’s uncontrollable sobbing【Video】5
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】6
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight7
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land8
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic9
- Peaches packaged in pairs of panties provoke protests in PRC10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】9
- This amazing water cake just may be the most delicate sweet ever created!10
- Spongebob and friends get stunning human makeovers, are surprisingly eye-candylicious!【Pics】
- Peaches packaged in pairs of panties provoke protests in PRC
- Pikachus overrunning Yokohama in the cutest rodent invasion ever 【Video】
- Attack on Titan and Evangelion coming to Universal Studios Japan
- Hairy armpit selfies have invaded China’s biggest social networking platform【Photos】
- Digital-age robber epically owned by analog granny at convenience store in Fukuoka
- Japanese farmer uses terrifying scarecrow, traumatizes children
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- Scammer aborts mission as trolling Line user offers to send cash intended for mother’s operation
- Basement Jaxx’s bizarre Japan-based music video freaks us out, makes us want to dance
- Promotion offers perfect one-week living space for otaku: An apartment pre-stocked with manga
- Jerome Le Banner walks old lady across the street even though it would’ve been easier to toss her
- Guitarist perfectly recreates disgraced Japanese politician’s uncontrollable sobbing【Video】