LINE is Japan’s most popular instant messaging platform and it came to its place on top via cute emoji “stickers.” But maybe you’ve had enough of the cutesy bears and sparkling hearts. Maybe you need to let out some emoji anger when your girlfriend is being a bit clingy with her texts. Fear not! The LINE stickers of your dreams have been released and they are just as tough, and occasionally gruesome, as you want them to be! Welcome into the ring, Street Fighter II!
Aug 21, 2014
Whenever I’m asked if I’m a dog or a cat person, I can always respond quite easily: “Neither.” I’m absolutely convinced fish make the best pets, since they’re quiet, relaxing, and never pee or cough things up on the carpet.
And just in case that wasn’t enough to sell you, consider one more thing fish can now do: play a game of Street Fighter II.
The brainchild of martial arts expert and lifelong Street Fighter devotee Joey Ansah, live-action series Assassin’s Fist was finally released on May 23 this year. Of course, you could stay home and watch the episodes on YouTube via Machinama‘s official channel, but if you happen to be in Tokyo on August 2, you could take in a special screening of the entire series in one night!
Jul 4, 2014
Back in Street Fighter II‘s heyday, I was always bothered by Chun-Li’s claim to be “the strongest woman in the world.” It’s odd in the first place that she would put a glass ceiling over herself by claiming to be only the strongest woman rather than the strongest person, but this is only magnified by the fact she was (at the time) the only woman in the global tournament.
However, now new animated gif evidence has emerged revealing why Chun-Li was so hung up on calling herself the strongest woman. It seems she spends most of her time randomly attacking other females with fireballs and spinning bird kicks without warning.
Jul 2, 2014
While Mortal Kombat gets most of the attention, whether positive or negative, for violence in fighting video games, Capcom’s Street Fighter II, the title that established the genre as gamers know it today, had some pretty grisly graphics, too. Unlike modern polygon fighters which zoom in on the victorious character as he or she strikes a victory pose, Street fighter II cut away to a different screen after each match, which showed the gory details of what a losing combatant would look like after taking a few too many hadokens or spinning bird kicks to the face.
Now, with a new set of iPhone cases, you can adorn your smartphone with the losing portrait of the Street Fighter II character you like best, or perhaps hate the most.
May 19, 2014
We bring good news and bad news. Remember back in February when we brought you a collection of gorgeous Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist production stills? Well, Machinima, Assassin’s Fist Limited, and Capcom U.S.A. have stepped it up with an official trailer and release date, and the trailer is as awesome as we hoped it would be.
The bad news is, the release date isn’t until May 23! That’s…too many sleeps away!
Apr 3, 2014
Even as the number of gamers worldwide continues to grow, video games remain a regular scapegoat for poor social skills, low grades, and neck beard-level hygiene. This holds true even in Japan, where parents and educators commonly voice their fear that without a strict curfew or school rules requiring pupils to head home straight after class, they might give in to temptation and –gasp!- stop off to play a few games at the arcade.
Game fans in Japan are finally getting some good press, though. For starters, studies show that playing Nintendo’s perennial hit Super Mario 64 can improve both your memory and sense of direction. And if your pursuits are more monetary than mental, mastery of fighting games can even earn you a nice-sized chunk of cold hard cash, like it did for the Japanese competitors who dominated the recently held Id Global Tournament in Korea.
Mar 31, 2014
The only thing we love more than videos about our favourite forms of entertainment are crossover videos that bring them together in one place. Doing precisely that, a talented British animator has just made our Monday that bit more bearable by posting a video titled “Ryu VS Jesse” to YouTube, which combines the worlds of much-loved video game Street Fighter and smash TV show Breaking Bad. And the result is simply awesome.
Full video after the jump.
Mar 27, 2014
As we have come to learn over the years, Japan really loves its capsule toys and mobile phone accessories, and there’s always some cute new bit of plastic to attach to your person or use to brighten up your electronic devices. But for fans of the original Capcom fighter Street Fighter II (which is everyone, surely!?) we have some extra good news today.
A new series of models, showing the world warriors not in their typically magnificent fighting poses but on their knees and with their noses touching the ground, begging for forgiveness, is due to be released later this year.
Mar 17, 2014
I grew up watching the characters on Sesame Street count numbers, spell words, and sing songs about goldfish and birds. Even after I had outgrown the long-running children’s series, I had to sit through it again while babysitting my little cousins. And my guess is that many of you out there went through a similar experience since the show has been on TV since 1969 and is broadcast in over 140 countries worldwide.
How many of you then subsequently got hooked on to the arcade game Street Fighter II in your school days? I definitely did, and this guy called gavacho13 on Deviantart probably did too, as he has been creating some awesome illustrations of the Sesame Street Fighters!
Feb 27, 2014
Based on Capcom’s hugely popular Street Fighter fighting games, upcoming TV series Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist began life back in 2010 as a mere seed of an idea. Three years later, fans of the video games went nuts when the project surfaced on Kickstarter asking for funding, only for it to suddenly disappear again when it was snapped up by a private production company.
Since then there has been so little news about Assassin’s Fist that we were starting to wonder if it would ever see the light of day, but recently released photos and one website’s extremely positive first impressions have our hands tingling with hadouken power more than ever.
By the time Street Fighter II hit the arcades the concept of getting a high score was almost completely obsolete. Still, millions of the game’s fans around the world couldn’t get enough of honing their martial arts skills on that hapless sedan for tons of meaningless points.
Someone at Turkish insurance company Anadolu Sigorta certainly felt that way too. So they took a moment to remind prospective clients that their cars are always in jeopardy – even from world warriors.
Oct 30, 2013
Imagine if the characters from Street Fighter, Capcom’s classic fighting game, were born as members of the opposite sex, with the same amount of physical strength and fighting spirit but a decidedly different physiques. Thanks to a fan-made short movie by Really Clever Androids, we don’t have to wonder what to expect from a world like that. This awesome three-minute clip gives us a pretty good idea of the conflict and copious cleavage we might encounter. Let’s just say that these genderswapped Street Fighter folks really know how to bring it!
Sep 24, 2013
The internet in China was lit up recently by photos of a young model showing off her rather meaty upper-arms. Being titled “China’s Most Beautiful Man,” a large number of netizens are declaring Photoshop shenanigans afoot, but all agree that her photos dressed up as Street Fighter mainstay Chun-Li are “kind of hot”.
Sep 17, 2013
Montreal-based artist and owner of personal blog Novamesh Arman Akopian (perhaps better known by his DeviantArt tag of GUYJIN) is causing quite the stir here in Japan today with a series of illustrations depicting the cast of Capcom’s genre-defining fighting game series Street Fighter years after the events of the game’s martial arts tournament.
Tremendously dark but expertly drawn and with detailed character descriptions alongside each illustration, we learn that things are not looking good for the majority of the Street Fighter crew, with Blanka struggling with alcoholism, Guile’s “sonic boom” attack eventually causing him to go deaf, and Chun-Li… well, Chun-Li is still looking as flexible and muscular as ever.
Jun 3, 2013
We’ve seen some pretty quirky artistic interpretations of arcade fist-and-fireball fest Street Fighter in our time, but this one quite took our breath away.
Before you say it, yes we know the above image looks like little more than a mass of triangles suspended in midair, but we’re absolutely positive that once you’ve seen the following video in motion, you’ll swear you’re watching the characters from everyone’s favourite arcade fighter performing their signature moves before your very eyes.
Feb 1, 2013
Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, it is Friday! And that can only mean one thing: it’s time to kick back and relax with another dose of nonsensical video from Japan!
Courtesy of our friends over at Niconico, the following video features a collage of clips from 1990s beat-em-up classic Street Fighter II, spliced with, shoehorned into and duct-taped to the theme tune from non other than iconic Japanese animation Doraemon.
It doesn’t make any sense. But then again, does it have to?
- How to say “I love you” in Japanese – 47 different ways 【Videos】1
- Japan’s 10 best ryokan inns and top 10 hotels, as chosen by foreign visitors2
- Guy asks Twitter to decode late uncle’s encrypted message, gets results in matter of hours3
- Japanese work ethic tested, how high of a fever will you run before calling in sick?4
- More adorable photos from Japan’s fox village5
- Timpani drummer’s crazy finale is startling, funny, more metal than you’d expect from a symphony6
- Twitter artist reimagines 64 pokémon as “Substitute” plushies to adorable results7
- Super-hot female member of real life superhero group captures Japanese hearts8
- Turn desk time into battle time with this gloriously unnecessary replica Mega Man helmet!9
- Japan’s pet kitties are reportedly spellbound by recent NHK wildlife documentary 【Photos】10
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】1
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!2
- Turn an ordinary balloon into a smartphone case in seconds with this neat trick3
- How to say “I love you” in Japanese – 47 different ways 【Videos】4
- Does the way you cross your arms say anything about your personality? Japan thinks so5
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours6
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute7
- 10 ways shopping at Wal-Mart in China is completely different from how it is in the US8
- Yokohama restaurant serves fried axolotl, along with giant isopod, camel, and crocodile9
- Our Japanese reporter visits an American sushi restaurant in Japan10
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”1
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】2
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher5
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises6
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit7
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make8
- One Piece manga sends off Naruto with a classy secret message9
- Clever Japanese pet owners find perfect cat beds…at IKEA! 【Photos】10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher2
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls3
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”4
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】5
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China6
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】9
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school10
- Timpani drummer’s crazy finale is startling, funny, more metal than you’d expect from a symphony
- Twitter artist reimagines 64 pokémon as “Substitute” plushies to adorable results
- Super-hot female member of real life superhero group captures Japanese hearts
- Turn desk time into battle time with this gloriously unnecessary replica Mega Man helmet!
- Japan’s pet kitties are reportedly spellbound by recent NHK wildlife documentary 【Photos】
- 252 of Japan’s favorite animated gifs
- Japanese film pros ranked their top movies to show kids, with Ghibli titles sweeping the top 3
- Taiwanese subway’s anime mascot wants you to mind your manners, watch out for the Hamburglar
- Cats, dogs, pandas & more! An irresistible collection of photos and videos of animals in the snow
- Hadoken! The LINE stickers we’ve all been waiting for: Street Fighter II
- Turn an ordinary balloon into a smartphone case in seconds with this neat trick
- Foreigner cyclist pulls a Gandalf, stands up to driver using bike lane in Beijing
- Casual cosplay: for those who want to dress the part 365 days a year【Photos】