Uniqlo, the hugely popular Japanese chain store that stocks a variety of simple, practical and affordable clothing, has expanded into a world-wide venture, with stores in Singapore, Australia, the United Kingdom, the United States, Germany, France, Russia, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Bangladesh, and, well, you get the picture. In the West in particular, Uniqlo has a pretty cool image thanks to its simple, pared-down designs and celebrity approval (for example, Pharrell Williams designed a range for them in April 2014), so it might surprise some of you to hear that there are people in Japan who tend to be a bit snobby about Uniqlo, looking down on its regular clientele for lacking in fashion sense.
Dec 31, 2014
It’s no secret that ladies in Asia have become the masters of makeup in recent years, with shocking before-and-after transformations popping up online pretty much on the reg. In Japan in particular, makeup trends tend to follow a very different format to those in the west, with plenty of tips and tricks designed to highlight features we wouldn’t even consider, such as the angle of an eyelid crease, or the puffiness of eyebags. There’s even makeup that’s designed to make you look a bit ill.
This new makeup palette seems at first glance to be nothing more than a cute product themed around a fairytale character. In actuality, it’s the perfect tool for creating one of the past year’s most unusual trends, “undereye blush”.
Nov 6, 2014
Japan isn’t that big geographically, but it’s still divided up into 47 different prefectures. Even though it’ll usually only take you a couple of hours to pass from one into the other (and even less if you’re on the Shinkansen), each has its own unique feel to it. Depending on where you are, people eat different foods, celebrate holidays in different ways, and even like different clothes, as shown by a study that reveals how Japanese women like to dress by prefecture.
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Sep 20, 2014
As many of you know, Japan maintains a strong sense of uchi and soto, or inside/in-group and outside/out-group. As part of that culture, all people, young and old, are made to change their shoes upon entering most buildings and homes. Students, especially elementary school students, get a special pair of indoor shoes called uwabaki, often called “hallway slippers,” for use while inside the school building. Much like the trendiness of Japanese elementary school backpacks, uwabaki are being seen out on the streets on the feet of fashion-forward women. But are elementary school indoor shoes really that fashionable? You’d be surprised!
Naomi Watanabe, a famous female comedian, has started a fashion brand for plus-sized girls named “PUNYUS”. PUNYUS has been in the spotlight since the brand launched this spring, because it is part of a new trend to focus on chubby girls, and also it is remarkable for a comedian to produce a fashion brand compared to the many slender fashion models that have their own brands.
Anime and manga have been in the global mainstream for a few decades now and like anything else, they have a way of evolving over time. Sometimes, though, the changes are so gradual that we don’t notice it until someone throws it all up in a handy infographic such as this one that surfaced on the internet recently. In it, the creator points out some key differences between female characters in the 1990s and those of the current decade. Let’s see what’s going on in the translation below.
Oct 4, 2012
Tokyo-based smart-phone application developer SuperSoftware has announced that, after just 18 days, its free app. Manga Camera has been downloaded an incredible two million times.
Launched on September 11, the app. soon became popular among Japanese iPhone users who were thrilled to be able to turn snaps of everyday sights into images that look like they could have been lifted straight from a comic-book.
The application was downloaded one million times within the first 24 hours of its release, and has seen consistently high download rates ever since, popular in China and Korea as well as its homeland. Read More
So, everybody, what do you think when you see a girl’s armpit hair? Does it make a difference if she’s smoking hot? A lot of people would probably be surprised, and some of them might even reject her entirely over the matter.
Well, this has apparently become a big topic of conversation in China, where a pretty young woman bared her hairy pits to the world.
- Unreal “animation dancer” makes Japanese salarymen breakdance with the power of magic sunglasses1
- Learn how to drink with Japanese people in this funny and informative YouTube series【Videos】2
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”3
- Indonesian Muslim cleric declares selfies a sin, youths reciprocate with new selfie trend4
- We swear you’ve never seen Tokyo like this before 【Video】5
- Cross-dressing Cosplay Idol Group a Huge Hit in China6
- South Korean artist offers a bare-bones look at our most loved cartoon characters【Photos】7
- Team Japan’s goalkeeper is awfully good at catching cats8
- New Star Wars toys are rolling their way into our galaxy right, right here9
- The cat hairband, for when cat ears just aren’t enough10
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”1
- Edo era Samurai were pretty gay2
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time3
- Attack on Titan’s Universal Studios Japan attraction opens4
- Disney Store is all grown up with new branch designed for adult women opening in Tokyo5
- Netizens hatch adorable baby birds from supermarket eggs, provide evidence6
- No more photo retouches! New makeup for cosplayers claims to create photo-perfect skin7
- Secret backmasked message found hidden in Dragon Ball Z ending song8
- Cross-dressing Cosplay Idol Group a Huge Hit in China9
- Is “Ago-kui” the next “Kabe-don”?10
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”1
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing2
- Cosplay ideals vs. cosplay reality, a.k.a. cool vs. funny 【Photos】3
- Internet ready to shut up and take your money as preorders finally start for Cat Ear Headphones4
- Edo era Samurai were pretty gay5
- Ugly-cute makeup genius feeds off negative troll comments on Twitter6
- “Malaysian girl holding things” is our new favourite Instagram account 【Photos】7
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time8
- Teacher draws over students’ doodles to make red pen masterpieces9
- Photos of people lining up outside of the Sapporo Apple Store make us feel positively frozen10
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”1
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher2
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood3
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin4
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours5
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】6
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school7
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”8
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing9
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises10
- Cross-dressing Cosplay Idol Group a Huge Hit in China
- South Korean artist offers a bare-bones look at our most loved cartoon characters【Photos】
- Team Japan’s goalkeeper is awfully good at catching cats
- New Star Wars toys are rolling their way into our galaxy right, right here
- The cat hairband, for when cat ears just aren’t enough
- How many do you know? 12 delicious foods in Japanese supermarkets and convenience stores
- The detail on these Japanese dollhouses is amazing!
- Dattebayo! 12 awesome cast photos from the upcoming Naruto live spectacular
- Ritzy Japanese cop breaks Rolex wristwatch during arrest, sends suspect US$6,000 repair bill
- No more photo retouches! New makeup for cosplayers claims to create photo-perfect skin
- Evangelion couple rings let you tell your sweetheart you love him or her like Shinji loves Kaworu
- “Wait, you’re a dude? Meh, marry me anyway.” New male princess stealing hearts in China