Japan isn’t that big geographically, but it’s still divided up into 47 different prefectures. Even though it’ll usually only take you a couple of hours to pass from one into the other (and even less if you’re on the Shinkansen), each has its own unique feel to it. Depending on where you are, people eat different foods, celebrate holidays in different ways, and even like different clothes, as shown by a study that reveals how Japanese women like to dress by prefecture.
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Sep 20, 2014
As many of you know, Japan maintains a strong sense of uchi and soto, or inside/in-group and outside/out-group. As part of that culture, all people, young and old, are made to change their shoes upon entering most buildings and homes. Students, especially elementary school students, get a special pair of indoor shoes called uwabaki, often called “hallway slippers,” for use while inside the school building. Much like the trendiness of Japanese elementary school backpacks, uwabaki are being seen out on the streets on the feet of fashion-forward women. But are elementary school indoor shoes really that fashionable? You’d be surprised!
Naomi Watanabe, a famous female comedian, has started a fashion brand for plus-sized girls named “PUNYUS”. PUNYUS has been in the spotlight since the brand launched this spring, because it is part of a new trend to focus on chubby girls, and also it is remarkable for a comedian to produce a fashion brand compared to the many slender fashion models that have their own brands.
Anime and manga have been in the global mainstream for a few decades now and like anything else, they have a way of evolving over time. Sometimes, though, the changes are so gradual that we don’t notice it until someone throws it all up in a handy infographic such as this one that surfaced on the internet recently. In it, the creator points out some key differences between female characters in the 1990s and those of the current decade. Let’s see what’s going on in the translation below.
Oct 4, 2012
Tokyo-based smart-phone application developer SuperSoftware has announced that, after just 18 days, its free app. Manga Camera has been downloaded an incredible two million times.
Launched on September 11, the app. soon became popular among Japanese iPhone users who were thrilled to be able to turn snaps of everyday sights into images that look like they could have been lifted straight from a comic-book.
The application was downloaded one million times within the first 24 hours of its release, and has seen consistently high download rates ever since, popular in China and Korea as well as its homeland. Read More
So, everybody, what do you think when you see a girl’s armpit hair? Does it make a difference if she’s smoking hot? A lot of people would probably be surprised, and some of them might even reject her entirely over the matter.
Well, this has apparently become a big topic of conversation in China, where a pretty young woman bared her hairy pits to the world.
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute1
- The weirder the better? These Japanese zakka are hot sellers in Korea2
- “We don’t want to be girls. We just want to be cute!” The future of crossdressing in Osaka3
- Our Japanese reporter visits an American sushi restaurant in Japan4
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours5
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world6
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters7
- The top 10 spots in Tokyo to make an anime pilgrimage8
- Who knew frozen apples could taste so good!: Simple dessert recipe for the diet-conscious9
- Question reveals how foreigners feel about speaking Japanese, getting English in return10
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours1
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world2
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer3
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters4
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make5
- Japanese sleep experts say we’ve been using our blankets wrong, help us hate winter a little less6
- Budding Japanese student artists impress us with chalkboard works of art7
- Live-action Attack on Titan posters show new characters and weapons, plus one huge absence8
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute9
- Controversial pick-up artist breaks silence as campaign against him continues10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises5
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit6
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make7
- One Piece manga sends off Naruto with a classy secret message8
- Clever Japanese pet owners find perfect cat beds…at IKEA! 【Photos】9
- Just a bunch of adorable cats riding on trains in Japan10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher3
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”4
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】5
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China6
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later7
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons8
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea9
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked10
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters
- The top 10 spots in Tokyo to make an anime pilgrimage
- Who knew frozen apples could taste so good!: Simple dessert recipe for the diet-conscious
- Question reveals how foreigners feel about speaking Japanese, getting English in return
- Japan slowly begins to openly discuss crossdressing men in heterosexual relationships
- 12 gender-bent Disney and Ghibli characters that are utter perfection
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer
- “Common habits of Japan’s low earners”: What this survey tells us, and what it doesn’t
- Is the New Nintendo 3DS worth the purchase? Early adopters in Japan share their thoughts
- The Tokyo bar where servers are princes, customers are princesses… and everyone’s a girl
- The Top 25 Things In Japan Most Likely To Blow Foreigners’ Minds
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”