Japan isn’t that big geographically, but it’s still divided up into 47 different prefectures. Even though it’ll usually only take you a couple of hours to pass from one into the other (and even less if you’re on the Shinkansen), each has its own unique feel to it. Depending on where you are, people eat different foods, celebrate holidays in different ways, and even like different clothes, as shown by a study that reveals how Japanese women like to dress by prefecture.
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Sep 20, 2014
As many of you know, Japan maintains a strong sense of uchi and soto, or inside/in-group and outside/out-group. As part of that culture, all people, young and old, are made to change their shoes upon entering most buildings and homes. Students, especially elementary school students, get a special pair of indoor shoes called uwabaki, often called “hallway slippers,” for use while inside the school building. Much like the trendiness of Japanese elementary school backpacks, uwabaki are being seen out on the streets on the feet of fashion-forward women. But are elementary school indoor shoes really that fashionable? You’d be surprised!
Naomi Watanabe, a famous female comedian, has started a fashion brand for plus-sized girls named “PUNYUS”. PUNYUS has been in the spotlight since the brand launched this spring, because it is part of a new trend to focus on chubby girls, and also it is remarkable for a comedian to produce a fashion brand compared to the many slender fashion models that have their own brands.
Anime and manga have been in the global mainstream for a few decades now and like anything else, they have a way of evolving over time. Sometimes, though, the changes are so gradual that we don’t notice it until someone throws it all up in a handy infographic such as this one that surfaced on the internet recently. In it, the creator points out some key differences between female characters in the 1990s and those of the current decade. Let’s see what’s going on in the translation below.
Oct 4, 2012
Tokyo-based smart-phone application developer SuperSoftware has announced that, after just 18 days, its free app. Manga Camera has been downloaded an incredible two million times.
Launched on September 11, the app. soon became popular among Japanese iPhone users who were thrilled to be able to turn snaps of everyday sights into images that look like they could have been lifted straight from a comic-book.
The application was downloaded one million times within the first 24 hours of its release, and has seen consistently high download rates ever since, popular in China and Korea as well as its homeland. Read More
So, everybody, what do you think when you see a girl’s armpit hair? Does it make a difference if she’s smoking hot? A lot of people would probably be surprised, and some of them might even reject her entirely over the matter.
Well, this has apparently become a big topic of conversation in China, where a pretty young woman bared her hairy pits to the world.
- How to say “I love you” in Japanese – 47 different ways 【Videos】1
- Japan’s 10 best ryokan inns and top 10 hotels, as chosen by foreign visitors2
- Guy asks Twitter to decode late uncle’s encrypted message, gets results in matter of hours3
- 252 of Japan’s favorite animated gifs4
- Super-hot female member of real life superhero group captures Japanese hearts5
- Twitter artist reimagines 64 pokémon as “Substitute” plushies to adorable results6
- Japanese work ethic tested, how high of a fever will you run before calling in sick?7
- Timpani drummer’s crazy finale is startling, funny, more metal than you’d expect from a symphony8
- We test the mayonnaise hair pack, plus give vegetable and olive oil a shot, and the winner is…9
- Japan’s pet kitties are reportedly spellbound by recent NHK wildlife documentary 【Photos】10
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】1
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!2
- Turn an ordinary balloon into a smartphone case in seconds with this neat trick3
- How to say “I love you” in Japanese – 47 different ways 【Videos】4
- Does the way you cross your arms say anything about your personality? Japan thinks so5
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours6
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute7
- 10 ways shopping at Wal-Mart in China is completely different from how it is in the US8
- Yokohama restaurant serves fried axolotl, along with giant isopod, camel, and crocodile9
- Our Japanese reporter visits an American sushi restaurant in Japan10
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”1
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】2
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher5
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises6
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit7
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make8
- One Piece manga sends off Naruto with a classy secret message9
- Clever Japanese pet owners find perfect cat beds…at IKEA! 【Photos】10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher2
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls3
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”4
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】5
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China6
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】9
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school10
- Twitter artist reimagines 64 pokémon as “Substitute” plushies to adorable results
- Japanese work ethic tested, how high of a fever will you run before calling in sick?
- Timpani drummer’s crazy finale is startling, funny, more metal than you’d expect from a symphony
- We test the mayonnaise hair pack, plus give vegetable and olive oil a shot, and the winner is…
- Japan’s pet kitties are reportedly spellbound by recent NHK wildlife documentary 【Photos】
- This suave chap is apparently a girl! Don’t believe us? We don’t believe our eyes either【Photos】
- More adorable photos from Japan’s fox village
- Foreigner cyclist pulls a Gandalf, stands up to driver using bike lane in Beijing
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!
- Japanese model builder wins at Gundam, makes a 3D model look like a flat drawing
- Is the New Nintendo 3DS worth the purchase? Early adopters in Japan share their thoughts
- Free to download Japanese marriage applications are cute, stylish, and legally binding
- Japanese film pros ranked their top movies to show kids, with Ghibli titles sweeping the top 3