South Korean netizens are apparently up in arms over their president’s choice of shoes that she wore when throwing the opening pitch of the third game of the Korean Series baseball tournament in Seoul on October 27. Her fashion crime? President Park Guen Hye had the “audacity” to show up wearing a Japanese brand of sneakers!
Sep 27, 2013
Released earlier this month, the latest iteration of Apple’s operating system for mobile devices, iOS 7, boasts a sleek, vivid interface that is certainly quite a departure from previous iPhone software. Although the majority of Apple’s customers will likely be more than satisfied with both the OS’s stylistic and functional changes, some Korean citizens have taken issue with iOS 7’s Maps application, which refers to the islets located between Japan and Korea – over which there has been much debate – by the Japanese name of Takeshima.
Korean government plans to erect giant robot on disputed island, strongly opposed by Korean netizens
Jul 8, 2013
All around the world, young and middle-aged adults have fond childhood memories of giant robot cartoons. I can remember watching Autobots brawl with Decepticons over their endless hunt for energon cubes. Meanwhile, South Koreans were enjoying Robot Taekwon V.
Robot Taekwon V was such a hit that even today the Korean government uses its robot protagonist’s likeness to promote the nation’s claim to ownership of the Liancourt Rocks (Dokdo in Korea, Takeshima in Japan), a disputed island that has recently renewed some tensions between Korea and Japan. However, a recent plan to erect a statue of Taekwon V has been met with strong resistance from South Korean net users who feel that instead of being intimidating, the statue would cause Japanese citizens to laugh.
Karen Bremer Masuda
Oct 21, 2012
Ultra-rightist movements in Japan are visible through men who cover their faces with black bandannas, sun glasses and helmets. They drive around in what is as close to an armored van as a Japanese civilian can get and spew military music and political rhetoric from loudhailers fixed to the top of the vehicle. You can hear them coming from miles away and are reminded that the nationalism that led Japan into World War II is still alive to some extent, albeit among a small minority of people.
It is hard to believe, quite shocking in fact, that young Japanese women who don’t appear to have a provocative thought in their head are becoming politically active on the rightist’s side. Read More
Korean Net Cafe Bans Japanese Customers Unless They Proclaim Korean Sovereignty Over Contested Islands
Aug 21, 2012
Japan and Korea have not been on the best of terms recently, thanks mostly to a territorial dispute over literally a couple of rocks known as Takeshima to the Japanese and the Dokdo islands to Koreans.
As so, now may not be the most welcoming time to visit Korea if you’re Japanese, and vice versa.
To cite an extreme, in Korea there is even one net cafe that has gone so far as to post a sign outside reading: “No Japs Allowed.”
But if you read the fine print, you’ll notice that the management isn’t being completely unreasonable with the ban.
- How to say “I love you” in Japanese – 47 different ways 【Videos】1
- Super-hot female member of real life superhero group captures Japanese hearts2
- We test the mayonnaise hair pack, plus give vegetable and olive oil a shot, and the winner is…3
- Foreigner cyclist pulls a Gandalf, stands up to driver using bike lane in Beijing4
- Young man’s clever use of an umbrella saves injured kitten5
- There’s a Doraemon Christmas tree in Singapore6
- Zao Fox Village: Where all your cutes are belong to us7
- Japanese man crowned World’s Best Santa at 2014 Santa Winter Games8
- Japanese model builder wins at Gundam, makes a 3D model look like a flat drawing9
- More adorable photos from Japan’s fox village10
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】1
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours2
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!3
- Turn an ordinary balloon into a smartphone case in seconds with this neat trick4
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute5
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters6
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer7
- Does the way you cross your arms say anything about your personality? Japan thinks so8
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world9
- Can you spot the problem that led to the recall of this otherwise cute Japanese New Year’s card?10
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”1
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher2
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】3
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school4
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours5
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises6
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit7
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make8
- One Piece manga sends off Naruto with a classy secret message9
- Clever Japanese pet owners find perfect cat beds…at IKEA! 【Photos】10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher3
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”4
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】5
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China6
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later7
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea10
- There’s a Doraemon Christmas tree in Singapore
- Zao Fox Village: Where all your cutes are belong to us
- Japanese man crowned World’s Best Santa at 2014 Santa Winter Games
- Japanese model builder wins at Gundam, makes a 3D model look like a flat drawing
- More adorable photos from Japan’s fox village
- Guy asks Twitter to decode late uncle’s encrypted message, gets results in matter of hours
- Here’s what pilots think about the new idea that the missing plane flew for hours after a fire killed the pilots
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!
- Does the way you cross your arms say anything about your personality? Japan thinks so
- Learn to love the taste of raw daikon with this simple recipe 【RocketKitchen】
- Japanese dictionary removes heteronormative definitions of love and sex
- 252 of Japan’s favorite animated gifs