South Korean netizens are apparently up in arms over their president’s choice of shoes that she wore when throwing the opening pitch of the third game of the Korean Series baseball tournament in Seoul on October 27. Her fashion crime? President Park Guen Hye had the “audacity” to show up wearing a Japanese brand of sneakers!
Sep 27, 2013
Released earlier this month, the latest iteration of Apple’s operating system for mobile devices, iOS 7, boasts a sleek, vivid interface that is certainly quite a departure from previous iPhone software. Although the majority of Apple’s customers will likely be more than satisfied with both the OS’s stylistic and functional changes, some Korean citizens have taken issue with iOS 7’s Maps application, which refers to the islets located between Japan and Korea – over which there has been much debate – by the Japanese name of Takeshima.
Korean government plans to erect giant robot on disputed island, strongly opposed by Korean netizens
Jul 8, 2013
All around the world, young and middle-aged adults have fond childhood memories of giant robot cartoons. I can remember watching Autobots brawl with Decepticons over their endless hunt for energon cubes. Meanwhile, South Koreans were enjoying Robot Taekwon V.
Robot Taekwon V was such a hit that even today the Korean government uses its robot protagonist’s likeness to promote the nation’s claim to ownership of the Liancourt Rocks (Dokdo in Korea, Takeshima in Japan), a disputed island that has recently renewed some tensions between Korea and Japan. However, a recent plan to erect a statue of Taekwon V has been met with strong resistance from South Korean net users who feel that instead of being intimidating, the statue would cause Japanese citizens to laugh.
Karen Bremer Masuda
Oct 21, 2012
Ultra-rightist movements in Japan are visible through men who cover their faces with black bandannas, sun glasses and helmets. They drive around in what is as close to an armored van as a Japanese civilian can get and spew military music and political rhetoric from loudhailers fixed to the top of the vehicle. You can hear them coming from miles away and are reminded that the nationalism that led Japan into World War II is still alive to some extent, albeit among a small minority of people.
It is hard to believe, quite shocking in fact, that young Japanese women who don’t appear to have a provocative thought in their head are becoming politically active on the rightist’s side. Read More
Korean Net Cafe Bans Japanese Customers Unless They Proclaim Korean Sovereignty Over Contested Islands
Aug 21, 2012
Japan and Korea have not been on the best of terms recently, thanks mostly to a territorial dispute over literally a couple of rocks known as Takeshima to the Japanese and the Dokdo islands to Koreans.
As so, now may not be the most welcoming time to visit Korea if you’re Japanese, and vice versa.
To cite an extreme, in Korea there is even one net cafe that has gone so far as to post a sign outside reading: “No Japs Allowed.”
But if you read the fine print, you’ll notice that the management isn’t being completely unreasonable with the ban.
- Cats trapped in circles! Japanese blogger shows the best way to outsmart your kitty【Photos】1
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads2
- Photos claim to show difference between Chinese and other travelers, somehow show less and more3
- Korean cosplayer’s gender-bending costumes confuse us for a moment, then leave us mesmerized4
- Japanese net users stunned by photos of Chinese ethnic minority men5
- Is that cute girl’s profile pic really anything like her ‘real’ face?6
- Check the weather forecast with a cool gadget that recreates the conditions in your living room7
- New smartphone game turns your photos of real-world cats into in-game warriors8
- 5 powerful reasons to be a woman in Japan 【Women in Japan Series】9
- Learn Japanese from YouTube: Amp up your listening skills with this four-step guide10
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads1
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked2
- Cats trapped in circles! Japanese blogger shows the best way to outsmart your kitty【Photos】3
- We still don’t feel bad for you, Emperor: Photos of actors and their historical counterparts4
- Video of guy giving pandas medicine is insanely cute, unless you’re the guy5
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls6
- Japanese net users stunned by photos of Chinese ethnic minority men7
- Is that cute girl’s profile pic really anything like her ‘real’ face?8
- 5 powerful reasons to be a woman in Japan 【Women in Japan Series】9
- Worst date ever! Japan’s ladies reveal the top five date ideas to avoid10
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】1
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China2
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked3
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea4
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads5
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked6
- Watch liquid turn into food at Japanese sample food factory 【Videos】7
- Japanese mothers react to being called by their first names after years of just being “Mama”8
- “Beautiful foreigner walking a polar bear” spotted at Shibuya’s famous crossing9
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls10
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】1
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star2
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls3
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】4
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China5
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later6
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady10
- Is that cute girl’s profile pic really anything like her ‘real’ face?
- Check the weather forecast with a cool gadget that recreates the conditions in your living room
- New smartphone game turns your photos of real-world cats into in-game warriors
- 5 powerful reasons to be a woman in Japan 【Women in Japan Series】
- Learn Japanese from YouTube: Amp up your listening skills with this four-step guide
- Play Mario Kart on your living room floor (using robots!) with this awesome motion camera system
- New cafe in Harajuku serves up Pom Pom Purin-shaped cuisine, attracts fans and pop idols alike
- Witness the power a typhoon has over a bag of potato chips in this time-lapse video
- Korea doubles down with KFC’s bunless burger, Twitter photos confirm it’s kind of gross
- 2-D anime characters so cute, you just gotta pinch their cheeks
- Omedetou! Toyama Bay is inducted into The Most Beautiful Bays in the World Club
- Tonkatsu McBurger gets an upgrade and joins the regular McDonald’s Japan menu, people still upset
- “Spies” from the police force confuse and anger Hong Kong protesters
- The toy you’ve always wanted: Action-figure you