South Korean netizens are apparently up in arms over their president’s choice of shoes that she wore when throwing the opening pitch of the third game of the Korean Series baseball tournament in Seoul on October 27. Her fashion crime? President Park Guen Hye had the “audacity” to show up wearing a Japanese brand of sneakers!
Sep 27, 2013
Released earlier this month, the latest iteration of Apple’s operating system for mobile devices, iOS 7, boasts a sleek, vivid interface that is certainly quite a departure from previous iPhone software. Although the majority of Apple’s customers will likely be more than satisfied with both the OS’s stylistic and functional changes, some Korean citizens have taken issue with iOS 7’s Maps application, which refers to the islets located between Japan and Korea – over which there has been much debate – by the Japanese name of Takeshima.
Korean government plans to erect giant robot on disputed island, strongly opposed by Korean netizens
Jul 8, 2013
All around the world, young and middle-aged adults have fond childhood memories of giant robot cartoons. I can remember watching Autobots brawl with Decepticons over their endless hunt for energon cubes. Meanwhile, South Koreans were enjoying Robot Taekwon V.
Robot Taekwon V was such a hit that even today the Korean government uses its robot protagonist’s likeness to promote the nation’s claim to ownership of the Liancourt Rocks (Dokdo in Korea, Takeshima in Japan), a disputed island that has recently renewed some tensions between Korea and Japan. However, a recent plan to erect a statue of Taekwon V has been met with strong resistance from South Korean net users who feel that instead of being intimidating, the statue would cause Japanese citizens to laugh.
Karen Bremer Masuda
Oct 21, 2012
Ultra-rightist movements in Japan are visible through men who cover their faces with black bandannas, sun glasses and helmets. They drive around in what is as close to an armored van as a Japanese civilian can get and spew military music and political rhetoric from loudhailers fixed to the top of the vehicle. You can hear them coming from miles away and are reminded that the nationalism that led Japan into World War II is still alive to some extent, albeit among a small minority of people.
It is hard to believe, quite shocking in fact, that young Japanese women who don’t appear to have a provocative thought in their head are becoming politically active on the rightist’s side. Read More
Korean Net Cafe Bans Japanese Customers Unless They Proclaim Korean Sovereignty Over Contested Islands
Aug 21, 2012
Japan and Korea have not been on the best of terms recently, thanks mostly to a territorial dispute over literally a couple of rocks known as Takeshima to the Japanese and the Dokdo islands to Koreans.
As so, now may not be the most welcoming time to visit Korea if you’re Japanese, and vice versa.
To cite an extreme, in Korea there is even one net cafe that has gone so far as to post a sign outside reading: “No Japs Allowed.”
But if you read the fine print, you’ll notice that the management isn’t being completely unreasonable with the ban.
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads1
- 【TBT】The top 9 anime situations that seem likely to happen, but never do2
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked3
- Auction for “the present I was going to surprise my girlfriend with” closes with a happy ending4
- At least a few of these packaging “fails” from around the world had to be intentional5
- Learn Japanese from YouTube: Amp up your listening skills with this four-step guide6
- “2.5D Mask” lets you spend the day as an anime character, frighten pets and small children7
- U.K. man sentenced for prohibited images of ‘manga’ children8
- Mount Ontake: some hikers “died taking photos of the erupting volcano”, pathologist says9
- We still don’t feel bad for you, Emperor: Photos of actors and their historical counterparts10
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked1
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads2
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls3
- We still don’t feel bad for you, Emperor: Photos of actors and their historical counterparts4
- Video of guy giving pandas medicine is insanely cute, unless you’re the guy5
- Why does Engrish happen in Japan?6
- The 10 best anime of the fall season, according to Japanese otaku7
- Worst date ever! Japan’s ladies reveal the top five date ideas to avoid8
- Beautiful old footage shows “God of Judo” Kyuzo Mifune gracefully defeat young challengers【Video】9
- Robot rebellion begins with a cranky Roomba, Internet users too busy laughing to fight back10
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】1
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China2
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked3
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea4
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked5
- Watch liquid turn into food at Japanese sample food factory 【Videos】6
- Japanese mothers react to being called by their first names after years of just being “Mama”7
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads8
- “Beautiful foreigner walking a polar bear” spotted at Shibuya’s famous crossing9
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls10
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】1
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star2
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls3
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】4
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China5
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later6
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady10
- Learn Japanese from YouTube: Amp up your listening skills with this four-step guide
- “2.5D Mask” lets you spend the day as an anime character, frighten pets and small children
- U.K. man sentenced for prohibited images of ‘manga’ children
- Mount Ontake: some hikers “died taking photos of the erupting volcano”, pathologist says
- We still don’t feel bad for you, Emperor: Photos of actors and their historical counterparts
- Why are some Japanese preschools banning awesome, adorable character bento?
- Three Chinese men arrested in Japan for buying too many diapers
- Video of guy giving pandas medicine is insanely cute, unless you’re the guy
- Real version of Lotteria’s five-patty cheeseburger doesn’t look nearly as glorious as the ads
- Are virtual reality schools the future of education in Japan?
- Brilliant use for the almost expired milk in your fridge: It’s time for some milk jam!
- East meets West in the Pacific-centered version of the world map
- 35 fascinating photos of Korea from 100 years ago (before K-dramas took over Asia)