Starting this November, the first episode of a new romantic young adult series, Boys Before Friends, will be released to American audiences. The series is based on Japan’s hit manga, Hana Yori Dango (aka Boys Over Flowers). Already, the series has inspired the creation of anime, novels, and live action television dramas from Japan, Korea, and China. However, what should be a highly anticipated American adaptation of this much appreciated manga is encountering a lot of skepticism, especially from the Eastern side of the globe. It makes sense that some changes have to be made to implement an American setting for this Japanese tale, but how much change can the story endure before the tone of the original is totally lost?
Cooking Idol Ai! Mai! Main! was a beloved weekday children’s program that combined anime and live action to entertain and educate children about cooking and nutrition. Its star, Haruka Fukuhara, played the lead role of Main-chan and for the show’s four-year run stood as a paragon of kawaii (cute) on Japanese TV.
However, as of 29 March Cooking Idol Ai! Mai! Main! was taken off the air much to the dismay of thousands of fans. One fan responded to this by uploading a pseudo time-lapse 30-second video to YouTube showing Ms. Fukuhara age from 10 years old in 2009 to the 14-year-old she is now.
Fuji TV proved itself the forerunner of equal opportunity employment for digital labor earlier this week when they announced they had brought CG character Lune Anri on board as the network’s newest announcer.
Looking at the picture you might think this is another run-of-the-mill USB stick when in fact it’s so much more. For starters that’s a HDMI port on the end not USB. And while it does have 4GB memory on it, this stick is also hauling a 1GHz processor, 512MB of DDR3 RAM, and Android 4.0 – all for use on your TV.
At first glance, this tech news report seems to be telling us of an intriguing augmented reality app that’s scary good. When you point your camera at an object, it can automatically read your mind about what you’ll want to do next on the internet with respect to that object, like get a coupon for it or research about it on Wikipedia. Which would bring to mind various questions, such as, is it like auto-fill/auto-complete, remembering what you or others have done before, taken a few steps further? Is it selectively taking you to a website that’s ultimately aiming to get your money? Is it inviting you to give up your free will and just be satisfied with the website it saw fit to jump you to? How does it know what you want to do? Read More
A life-sized figure of manga and anime character Fujiko
Mine has been drawing criticism from fans on the Web. Comments have ranged from “Why did they make her like that?” to the more succinct, “Who the hell is that?” Apparently, she’s looking a bit off-color. Read More
After last year’s earthquake and tsunami in Northeast Japan disrupted global supply chains and halted auto protection, there were doubts over how long it would take Japanese automakers to get back on their feet.
Yet while Japan’s auto industry is still suffering from the aftermath of the disaster a year later, the three biggest carmakers—Toyota, Honda and Nissan—are rebounding faster than initially expected.
Perhaps as a display of this resilience, Honda has issued a manifesto to the world with its newest TV commercial that it won’t stand to be left in the dust.
We’ve all come to expect the best of everything from the folks at Tokyo Disney Resort who operate Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea. Now, they’ve come up with a delightful TV commercial that is gaining very high praise from not just viewers in Japan but from overseas as well.
Here’s what the Tokyo Disney Resort official website says about the TV commercial that is attracting so much attention.
Shiro Suzuki has been eagerly practicing to beat his high score of 178,270 in the Mercenary Mode of Resident Evil 4 (called Biohazard 4 in Japan). Most who have played the game would agree that this is an impressive score, whereas hardcore gamers may scoff at the number.
What makes Mr. Suzuki unique, however, is that on 10 February, 2012, he celebrated his 74th birthday.
Did you know that Japan has 16 locations on the list of UNESCO World Heritages? Could you name them all with any sum of money on the line?
Survey Research Center, Co. Ltd. conducted a survey that showed that most people could not. When asked whether they were interested in Japan’s world heritages, 67.8% of those surveyed responded affirmatively. However, only 4% of respondents knew all 16 Japanese sites.
See how many you can name before looking at the list below:
Toyota made waves by casting Japanese heartthrob Satoshi Tsumabuki as Nobita-kun in its live-action Doraemon commercials two weeks ago, but fans of the adapation of the popular cartoon were in for an even bigger shock the following week.
Toyota rolled its second wave of live-action Doraemon commercials off the line on November 18 with film star Jean Reno playing the role of Doraemon.
On September 29, Yuko Oshima and several other high-profile members of popular Japanese idol group AKB48 stepped off the dance stage and into the studio to commemorate the launch of their first ever sketch comedy and variety show, Bimyo～, with a special press conference broadcasted live over television and Japanese video-sharing site Nico Nico Douga. Read More
I slung my camera over my shoulder, ready to invade the world of cosplay for the first time at this year’s summer Comic Market 80 at Tokyo Big Sight.
Major Korean telecommunications carrier KT has released a commercial that advocates erasing “Sea of Japan” from the map and replacing it with “East Sea.” Read More
A recent commercial by a Taiwanese online game company has been met with a flood of complaints from viewers for its intolerable use of the human vocal chords. Read More
It’s a well-known fact that romantic relationships with real women are incredibly inconvenient: you take them out on dates, pay for their meals, and do everything you can to keep them pleased—only to be kicked to the curb at the end of the day. Even if you did find that perfect girl, you’d be too nervous to talk to her in the first place!
Face it: it’s just easier to stay single. However, even those free from delusions of ‘romance’ may still fantasize of a little pleasant interaction with the opposite sex from time to time.
Now, thanks to the ‘background video’ DVD series Amateur Meal Time ～Let’s Eat Together!～, you can now fulfill that desire by enjoying the atmosphere of a dinner date without the hassle of actually having to meet a real woman! Read More
In 2007 Japanese home sanitation company S.T. Corporation launched a commercial for their popular brand of bathroom deodorizer, Shoshu-Riki for Toilet, featuring a group of foreign musicians performing a jingle called Song for Toilet.
The commercial and jingle became an instant hit with its catchy tune and lyrics: “Shoshu-Riki, I love the toilet. Shoshu-Riki, I love it too! For your lovely toilet, Shoshu-Riki!” Read More
- 10 incredible tiny houses in Japan: a photo tour1
- This Thai ad for popular chat application “Line” will break your heart 【Video】2
- Beautiful Chinese boy “traps” the hearts of Korean netizens 【Photos】3
- Life imitating art (badly): If only they’d tried harder… 【Photos】4
- Nine unusual products from Japanese designer, Oki Sato5
- One couple, two beds – Why do so many Japanese spouses sleep separately?6
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong7
- Finally, 2013′s list of most dateable anime characters8
- “Once-in-a-thousand-year” idol Kanna Hashimoto visiting ALOOK Tokyo and Osaka on the same day9
- The Question Dividing Japan: Which Girl Would You Rather Date?10
- Beautiful Chinese boy “traps” the hearts of Korean netizens 【Photos】1
- Cute credit cards could send you to the slammer2
- Nine unusual products from Japanese designer, Oki Sato3
- Woman with alone time on an elevator does something incredibly unexpected4
- Gundam creator has harsh words for manga and anime hit “Attack on Titan”5
- 45 adorable pictures of animals acting human 【Photos】6
- Seven things that surprise Japanese people working in foreign offices7
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong8
- The top 10 baby names in Japan 20139
- Cosplay Undressed: Japan’s Newest Cosplay Trend Shows How Heroes Take Off Their Clothes10
- Before and After: 31 Startling Images of Plastic Surgery in Korea 【Photo Album】1
- What the hell is this monster?? 【Updated】2
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong3
- Chinese designer depicts Eastern vs. Western human behaviors in clever pictographs4
- Thinking about plastic surgery? This ad may make you laugh – or it could make you think twice!5
- 10 things Japan gets awesomely right6
- When Two Amazing Worlds Collide: Welcome to the World of Cat Sushi!7
- 45 adorable pictures of animals acting human 【Photos】8
- The amazing disaster relief equipment of Japan’s Self Defense Force9
- 252 of Japan’s favorite animated gifs10
- Before and After: 31 Startling Images of Plastic Surgery in Korea 【Photo Album】1
- 252 of Japan’s favorite animated gifs2
- What the hell is this monster?? 【Updated】3
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong4
- Chinese designer depicts Eastern vs. Western human behaviors in clever pictographs5
- Thinking about plastic surgery? This ad may make you laugh – or it could make you think twice!6
- Meet the new model set to make manga artists’ lives a whole lot easier7
- 10 things Japan gets awesomely right8
- When Two Amazing Worlds Collide: Welcome to the World of Cat Sushi!9
- Snake being pickled to create healing liquor awakens after 3 months and bites woman10
- One couple, two beds – Why do so many Japanese spouses sleep separately?
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong
- Finally, 2013′s list of most dateable anime characters
- “Once-in-a-thousand-year” idol Kanna Hashimoto visiting ALOOK Tokyo and Osaka on the same day
- The Question Dividing Japan: Which Girl Would You Rather Date?
- Keep your tea warm with Thermos ala Japanese style!
- Research institute explains technobabble with awesome retro anime 【Video】
- Film critic proposes censoring latest Studio Ghibli anime for overseas release
- Adorable kitten charms us by falling alseep while fighting giant monster hand
- When Two Amazing Worlds Collide: Welcome to the World of Cat Sushi!
- 【Thursday Throwback】Best Japanese customer service
- MiniShock: Check out these insanely detailed PlayStation 2 controller smartphone straps
- Ultra-simple smartphone navigation system helps you find your friends even if you can’t read a map
- The true meaning of Japanese Christmas