The Tokyo Game Show for 2014 closed its doors this past weekend, and a record number of game companies showed up to display four times as many titles as last year. As always, the ever popular cosplay was a big hit and thousands of people came to buy the unique goods sold there. But what about the show itself? Was it the best attended TGS in years? Did it smash attendance records all around the world?
The Tokyo Game Show opened up to the general public this Saturday, and we were right there in the midst of the crowds of attendees from all over the world.
With the event spread across the huge Makuhari Messe exhibition centre it was quite a workout getting from one end to the other while navigating meandering queues of gamers waiting for a chance to play exclusive demos, but somehow we managed it and lived to tell the tale.
While there were plenty of gorgeous booth babes around inside, I headed out to the cosplay area where amateur enthusiasts show off their home-made outfits, and often plenty of skin too.
Sep 20, 2013
It’s that time of year again! Tokyo Game Show 2013 is now in full swing and its second press and business day is well underway. This coming weekend, the event will be open to the public, offering video game and tech fans the chance to play some of the newest games and catch a glimpse of upcoming titles, not to mention try out that brand new PlayStation 4 and Xbox One hardware for themselves.
Being the enormous video game nerds that we are, we headed over to the Makuhari Messe convention centre yesterday to check it out. And, since we love you, we even took a few photos while we were there, so step inside and experience the games, toys and booth babes of TGS 2013!
Sep 23, 2012
Although it’s often easy to forget, what with all those games to be played and women in skimpy costumes to pretend not to be staring at, Tokyo Game Show, like every other trade show of its kind, is really all about one thing for the companies attending- advertising and self-promotion.
So when the games have been played, the doors have been closed and the booth girls are just lifeless still images on an otaku’s hard-disk, what remains? Why, of course, the freebies! The swag that seems like an amazing idea until you ride the train home with it and realise that, outside of the event setting with every other guy carrying the same junk, you look faintly ridiculous.
And TGS had it by the bucket-load.
But Sega, the house that built Sonic the Hedgehog and dozens of other gaming greats, pulled out all the stops this year, and, proving that size really does matter, absolutely dominated the show. Read More
- Turn an ordinary balloon into a smartphone case in seconds with this neat trick1
- Make sure to visit this historical onsen once before you die, or just do it right now with Google2
- How to cook miso soup (the right way) in a few simple steps【RocketKitchen】3
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute4
- Question reveals how foreigners feel about speaking Japanese, getting English in return5
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world6
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours7
- Yokohama restaurant serves fried axolotl, along with giant isopod, camel, and crocodile8
- Our Japanese reporter visits an American sushi restaurant in Japan9
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters10
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours1
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world2
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer3
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters4
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute5
- Live-action Attack on Titan posters show new characters and weapons, plus one huge absence6
- Budding Japanese student artists impress us with chalkboard works of art7
- Controversial pick-up artist breaks silence as campaign against him continues8
- Can you spot the problem that led to the recall of this otherwise cute Japanese New Year’s card?9
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises5
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit6
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make7
- One Piece manga sends off Naruto with a classy secret message8
- Clever Japanese pet owners find perfect cat beds…at IKEA! 【Photos】9
- Just a bunch of adorable cats riding on trains in Japan10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher3
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”4
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】5
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China6
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later7
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea10
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours
- Yokohama restaurant serves fried axolotl, along with giant isopod, camel, and crocodile
- Our Japanese reporter visits an American sushi restaurant in Japan
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters
- 10 ways shopping at Wal-Mart in China is completely different from how it is in the US
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer
- Neko Montage! The most fun you can have with a cat and a sharpie【Photos】
- What’s that on the ground? Ad for Japanese TV drama wows us with its clever use of space!
- “Common habits of Japan’s low earners”: What this survey tells us, and what it doesn’t
- Turn into Hello Kitty with these adorable face masks!
- Adorable chicken traveller actually headed to nauseating final destination in series of promo pics
- Women at World Wushu Championships attack each other at the speed of light