From the ball drop in America, to the first shrine visit in Japan, each culture rings in the New Year in their own special way. Thailand’s Songkran, or commonly known as the water throwing festival, may be the most carefree and fun tradition though. RocketNews24 has brought you the story from last year’s festival, but we couldn’t resist sending a crew back this year. Click on through to see if they were able to avoid getting wet this year, and the plight of their electronic equipment!
Doraemon in Nirvana: Chiang Rai’s White Temple like a beautiful, bad pop culture pipe dream 【Photos】
Apr 12, 2014
Approaching Wat Rong Khun, Chiang Rai’s so-called White Temple, is a surreal experience. It looks like a massive sculpture of ice and snow shimmering through Thailand’s tropical heat. But that effect barely scratches the surface of the weird at this Buddhist wat, where Doraemon hangs out with the Buddha, bushes are decorated with the decapitated heads of Freddie Kruger and Pinhead, and the penalty for smoking is eternal damnation.
You know it’s a cynical sales technique, so you try to be sensible and hold yourself apart, but sometimes commercials really know how to pull the heartstrings. We dare you to watch this spot for a Thai life insurance company and not get a little misty eyed.
Danny Choo, founder of Culture Japan and inexhaustible ambassador for all things moe, announced the collaboration between his mascot Mirai Suenaga and the Thai airline Asian Air on his website this week. Read on to find out just how far their plans for anime-themed air domination go.
- Scott R Dixon
Mar 10, 2014
For the second year in a row, Thailand’s Ko Tao nabbed the title of “Asia’s Best Island” from the travel website Trip Advisor. Located in the Gulf of Thailand, the island barely covers 21 square km (8.1 square miles) but the crystal clear and very peaceful waters have earned it international fame among divers.
Between beautiful white sand beaches, the 300 sunny days per year and the chance to swim alongside whale sharks, click below to find out more about why travelers chose Ko Tao as Asia’s best island!
- Krista Rogers
Mar 5, 2014
A picture is worth a thousand words. That’s certainly the case with the following collection of stunning photographs taken in Korea between 1890 and 1903 by visiting foreigners. The diverse, everyday scenes they depict shed light on the lifestyles of people at the time. Interestingly, this pictorial set was circulated around the Internet in Thailand, where people were surprised to see such vast differences in lifestyle as compared to the lives of South Koreans portrayed in modern-day K-dramas…a lot can change in a hundred years! You don’t want to miss a single one of these photos or the reactions of Thai people after seeing them!
- Master Blaster
Feb 19, 2014
Meet Jannine Parawie Weigel. Like any 13-year-old girl, she enjoys lemonade, pizza, the color pink, and Hunger Games (the movie not, you know, actual hunger games). She also speaks five languages, plans to get a bachelor’s degree by the time she’s 16 and was already signed to GMM Grammy, Thailand’s largest media company.
And if you don’t feel like you’re underachieving enough yet, she also has the face and voice of an angel, and by all accounts seems like a genuinely well-mannered young woman. Now before you pick up that revolver, enjoy the song-stylings of this up-and-coming Thai-German wunderkind.
- Joan Coello
Feb 10, 2014
We’re all talented in ways that others aren’t; some of us are born artists, while some can barely draw anything more complex than a stick man. It seems that would be the case with elephants too. It is said that in every 200 elephants trained to paint, only about four manage to master the skill.
Of course, in the case of elephants, painting is skill they are trained to remember, not an inborn talent. Even with that said, some of the drawings they make are so impressive, we can’t help but wonder if some natural talent is involved!
We get a taste of the high-life at a Thai mega-mansion equipped with giant chicken altar and Marilyn Monroe
- Master Blaster
Dec 28, 2013
While staying in Thailand, one of our reporters came across an expansive estate littered with colossal buildings. This was said to be the property of the Chairman of Saha Farms Group, Dr. Panya Choititawan.
As we will soon see, Dr. Choititawan seems to be a devout Buddhist and has opened his home, called Sukhawadee, to the public for a nominal fee of 200 bahts (US$6). It’s said the purpose was to give people a feeling of being a joint owner and treat them to the images of Buddha it contains. Kowloon Kurosawa, wanting to get a taste of success decided to take a look around.
It’s tough being a girl. We’re not saying it’s easy being a guy, but guys generally have fewer worries about being victims of stealthy up-skirt shots, wandering hands, or worse. To put an end to such worries, some overly creative designers in Thailand created a pair of security panties that promises to protect your girly bits and ward off a man’s lustful thoughts at the same time.
Sounds like a sure-sell product, doesn’t it? But as always, things that sound too good to be true usually come with a catch. And the catch in this pair of panties is, to put it bluntly, a built-in PENIS.
Dec 6, 2013
We all know that Hello Kitty is one busy little cat, but it looks like she’ll be in particular demand in the coming weeks … in Thailand! In what is yet another collaborative effort involving the hard-working Ms. Kitty, McThai has recently started their “Hello Kitty Fairy Tales” promotion.
Beginning last Friday, McDonald’s all over Thailand are selling adorable plush Hello Kitty dolls. But these aren’t just any ordinary plushies. This time, our beloved Ms. Kitty has been fitted with colorful costumes from the world of fairy tales!
In 1994, the product design company, Propaganda, was established in Thailand to fill the need for playful products in home and work environments. Since then, the fun-loving brand has expanded immensely. Stores can be found in more than 30 different countries, including Japan, the US, and many parts of Europe.
Today we’d like to focus on one of Propaganda’s many tongue-in-cheek trinkets. This peculiar lamp is certain to brighten your day.
With the success of the romantic saga of the spirit of mushrooms and his muse underway in Japan, it’s now time to see what’s going on in Thailand.
The following commercial from earlier this year shows us how loose broadcast regulations appear to be in some Southeast Asian countries. It’s chocked full of sexual innuendo which is interesting considering it’s essentially an ad for a big bag of crap.
Thailand’s oldest private university, Bangkok University, has one of the most stunning campuses in Southeast Asia. Founded in 1962 by the owner of the Thai beverage company Osotspa Co., Ltd., the school now has two campuses. An incredible 27,000 students attend Bangkok University and after seeing the following 12 photographs, you will be jealous of every last one of them.
The Thailand office of American doughnut chain, Dunkin’ Donuts, has been unrolling a unique line of doughnuts since August of this year. All of these 27 doughnuts have one thing in common: They’re black as midnight.
But that’s just the tip of this ebony iceberg. We’ve seen black food hit the scene before but these doughnuts took a year in the making as Dunkin’ Donuts carefully selected what they thought were the best combination of ingredients. What they came up with is interesting to say the least. Some flavors will make you drool, some will make you cringe, but they’ll all make you interested.
- Rachel Tackett
Jul 12, 2013
In Thailand there is a chain of conveyor belt sushi and shabu shabu restaurants called Shabushi, operated by the company Oishi Group. Shabu-shabu is a Japanese dish similar to fondue, where vegetables and wafer-thin slices of meat are cooked in a pot of boiling broth at the table. One week ago, on July 4 at the Central World trade facility in Bangkok, Oishi Group held the opening ceremonies for their second annual Shabu Lympics, a shabu-shabu eating contest taking place at select branches of Shabushi nation-wide.
A chance encounter on the roads of Thailand led Mike Swift to take a video of a biker so awesomely weird that he put it out on YouTube as soon as possible. At first you’ll notice the pet bird which obediently flies alongside the woman as she rides, which is wild enough, but you’ll soon find that this little half-minute clip is deceptively deep.
Many religious organizations have buildings and temples sacred to them, and often these architectural creations are truly awe-inspiring. From the Sistine Chapel in Rome to Todai Temple in Nara City, there are numerous examples of marvels of human devotion.
And the Kuha Karuhas pavilion certainly ranks among the most marvelous we’ve seen. Read More
- “How many freakin’ CDs do I have to buy?” Fans displeased with idol group’s debut single1
- Visit Kiki’s Bakery at a unique fairytale village in Japan2
- Japanese women dish about being betrayed by their female friends3
- Poster for Ghibli’s new movie under fire … from the big guru himself!4
- 12 gender-bent Disney and Ghibli characters that are utter perfection5
- Cat greets its returning owner with so much warmth we’d swear it was puppy love6
- Advice from Japanese women on dealing with your boyfriend’s anime girlfriend7
- Chinese “porn identification officer” has seen over 600,000 adult videos, threw up after watching some8
- Five foods you should never feed to your cat9
- Healthy ice cream? Well, these new Häagen-Dazs vegetable flavors at least sound healthy!10
- The extreme lengths Samsung must go to make sure your Galaxy phone works perfectly1
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong2
- 12 gender-bent Disney and Ghibli characters that are utter perfection3
- 10 Japanese expressions that sound delightfully strange and funny when translated4
- So, the Dalai Lama walks into a convenience store in rural Japan… 【Photos】5
- Lady Gaga goes gaga for Hatsune Miku, makes virtual idol her opening act6
- Real-life barbie bares real-life face in minimal makeup selfies【Photos】7
- “Racist” Air France geisha poster prompts satirical home-made fixes8
- Advice from Japanese women on dealing with your boyfriend’s anime girlfriend9
- Taiwanese student creates incredible art with materials others would throw away【Photos】10
- Chinese Photoshop Trolls and the Half-Blood Prisoner of the Deathly Phoenix Goblet (Part 6)1
- Unfortunate Google employee forced to wander alone on eerie abandoned island for Street View photos2
- Daughter of Osamu Tezuka, God of Manga, discovers his stash of hand-drawn sexy mouse artwork3
- Little store managers take over FamilyMart in Taiwan, hilarity and tons of cute in store【Video】4
- 【TBT】China’s Photoshop experts will fix your bad photos, but be careful what you wish for5
- The extreme lengths Samsung must go to make sure your Galaxy phone works perfectly6
- Japanese netizens put reality on hold for a moment, fall in love with new attorney general of Crimea7
- 10 incredible tiny houses in Japan: a photo tour8
- Attack on Titan’s studio head talks sequels, keys to the hit anime’s success9
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong10
- Korean high schools allow “anything goes” yearbook photos, with hilarious results1
- Taiwan’s Gravity Max – Quite possibly the scariest roller coaster in the world2
- Don’t call them fat, call them Marshmallow Girls!3
- Beautiful gym babe impresses Chinese netizens with her incredible fitness!【Pics & GIFs】4
- Japanese netizens put reality on hold for a moment, fall in love with new attorney general of Crimea5
- Picture perfect siblings of 18 years apart melt the hearts of Chinese netizens【Photos】6
- Attack on Titan’s studio head talks sequels, keys to the hit anime’s success7
- Unfortunate Google employee forced to wander alone on eerie abandoned island for Street View photos8
- Chinese Photoshop Trolls and the Half-Blood Prisoner of the Deathly Phoenix Goblet (Part 6)9
- Ghibli’s Hayao Miyazaki says the anime industry’s problem is that it’s full of anime fans10
- Cat greets its returning owner with so much warmth we’d swear it was puppy love
- Advice from Japanese women on dealing with your boyfriend’s anime girlfriend
- Chinese “porn identification officer” has seen over 600,000 adult videos, threw up after watching some
- Five foods you should never feed to your cat
- Healthy ice cream? Well, these new Häagen-Dazs vegetable flavors at least sound healthy!
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea
- We try McDonald’s Avocado Beef, see if it’s as lame as people on Twitter are suggesting
- The extreme lengths Samsung must go to make sure your Galaxy phone works perfectly
- Lady Gaga goes gaga for Hatsune Miku, makes virtual idol her opening act
- 15 Japanese students who are really nailing this high school thing
- Japanese high school student becomes Twitter sensation showing difference between time with boyfriend and friends
- 10 Japanese expressions that sound delightfully strange and funny when translated
- Better know a train nerd: 36 different classifications for Japan’s “densha otaku”
- The incredible isolation of North Korea — In one map