Osamu Tezuka‘s Astro Boy, in addition to being a historically important piece of entertainment, is also widely beloved around the world. And now, some sixty-plus years after its first inception as a manga, it’s been granted additional life on the stage, thanks to the efforts of playwright and director Natsu Onoda Power, and the folks at the Company One theater company.
- Casey Baseel
May 23, 2014
Since its first performance 100 years ago, Japan’s Takarazuka Revue has been the country’s most respected theater company. While the troupe is known for its lavish costume and set designs, as well as its bombastic musical performances, its most distinctive characteristic is that the group is composed entirely of actresses, with women playing both male and female roles.
To their fans, Takarazuka actresses are the epitome of grace and poise. There are a lot of pitfalls that have to be avoided to maintain that pristine image, though, as shown by the company’s list of the 25 marks of ugly women.
Catch a movie in bed…at the theater! Four awesome theaters from around the world with beds for seats
- Preston Phro
Jan 18, 2014
We love movies. That’s not really a surprise or a secret, but it certainly is true! Whether it’s some kung-fu cop action or the latest from Ghibli, we would be hard-pressed to decline a trip to the theater. But even we have to admit that not all theater seating was created equally. Sure most of it isn’t bad, but sometimes we just wish we could bring the projector and screen home so we could lie in bed in our jammies with a bowl of popcorn and really relax. Too bad we can’t bring our beds to the theater…
Or can we??
- Preston Phro
Jun 17, 2013
Since the first performance in 2008, Sutra has been staged in 55 cities in 27 countries and has become an exceptionally popular show.
To develop and stage this awe-inspiring performance, the contemporary dance superstar Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui collaborated with 17 Shaolin monks he became acquainted with while studying at a temple in China.
- Philip Kendall
Mar 6, 2013
The British stage production of Studio Ghibli’s 1997 animated classic Princess Mononoke, originally only intended for audiences at London’s Diorama Theatre this April, will be brought to Japan, it was announced earlier today.
Aug 9, 2012
For the avid reader, environment can be everything. Some people prefer to read in the silence of a library while others prefer the ambience of cafés or parks; different readers have different conditions that must be met for them to truly lose themselves in a book.
But what would it feel like if you sat, with book in hand, in the third-floor balcony of a renovated theater-turned-bookstore with high painted ceilings and crimson stage curtains still intact? That’s exactly what El Ateneo, the world’s second most beautiful bookstore, offers readers.
Our correspondent Photographer Koach recently traveled to Avenida Santa Fe in Buenos Aires, Argentina where El Ateneo is located to see the bookstore for himself.
- New video from Wagakki Band “Hanabi” is an original, awesome song【J-Tunes】1
- What turned Tokyo Disneyland into the Loneliest Place on Earth last weekend?2
- Blogger’s silly video of types of dancers at Singapore clubs is trending in Japan3
- Ryokan etiquette: What not to do when staying at a traditional Japanese inn4
- Pikachus overrunning Yokohama in the cutest rodent invasion ever 【Video】5
- 16-year-old girl arrested for beheading classmate in Japan’s Nagasaki Prefecture6
- Japanese scientist predicts another major earthquake in Japan by 20177
- This watermelon might be the most disappointing thing you see today8
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight9
- Vietnamese man, angry at wife, hatches bizarre revenge scheme: Cut off his own penis10
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight1
- 16-year-old girl arrested for beheading classmate in Japan’s Nagasaki Prefecture2
- This watermelon might be the most disappointing thing you see today3
- Gamer discovers his deceased father’s ghost on an old Xbox game, challenges it to a race4
- Internet survey sheds light on how Japanese women deal with the hair ‘down there’5
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker6
- Vietnamese man, angry at wife, hatches bizarre revenge scheme: Cut off his own penis7
- Five amazing Japanese Starbucks locations that let you keep sightseeing as you take a break8
- Two people tragically die after Chinese woman drops her cell phone into a cesspool9
- 10 obscure Japanese vending machine drinks that fly under the beverage radar10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】6
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight7
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land8
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic9
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】9
- This amazing water cake just may be the most delicate sweet ever created!10
- 16-year-old girl arrested for beheading classmate in Japan’s Nagasaki Prefecture
- Japanese scientist predicts another major earthquake in Japan by 2017
- This watermelon might be the most disappointing thing you see today
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight
- Vietnamese man, angry at wife, hatches bizarre revenge scheme: Cut off his own penis
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- Man in China steps into “royal rumble” to save the day, maybe goes a bit too far【Video】
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!
- Whiskey shaved ice: A frozen treat for adults in Kyoto
- Are you a solo dining expert? Rank yourself with this Korean “lone diner guide”!
- Titans attack Lawson convenience stores, bring tons of anime goodies with them
- Sumida River Fireworks Festival aftermath: Not everyone in Japan has perfect manners after all
- 252 of Japan’s favorite animated gifs
- Darth Vader to Japanese dictionary released, selling like Tusken bread