Usually all we look for in a theater is comfy seats, a decent sound system, and good movies. If you’re really picky, you might even seek out places with a beer menu, cheap tickets, or a unique schedule. Probably the last thing on your mind would the architecture of the building–but if you’re a fan of Studio Ghibli, you’ll definitely want check out Laputa, a cinema in a building inspired by the legendary Castle in the Sky!
Osamu Tezuka‘s Astro Boy, in addition to being a historically important piece of entertainment, is also widely beloved around the world. And now, some sixty-plus years after its first inception as a manga, it’s been granted additional life on the stage, thanks to the efforts of playwright and director Natsu Onoda Power, and the folks at the Company One theater company.
May 23, 2014
Since its first performance 100 years ago, Japan’s Takarazuka Revue has been the country’s most respected theater company. While the troupe is known for its lavish costume and set designs, as well as its bombastic musical performances, its most distinctive characteristic is that the group is composed entirely of actresses, with women playing both male and female roles.
To their fans, Takarazuka actresses are the epitome of grace and poise. There are a lot of pitfalls that have to be avoided to maintain that pristine image, though, as shown by the company’s list of the 25 marks of ugly women.
Catch a movie in bed…at the theater! Four awesome theaters from around the world with beds for seats
Jan 18, 2014
We love movies. That’s not really a surprise or a secret, but it certainly is true! Whether it’s some kung-fu cop action or the latest from Ghibli, we would be hard-pressed to decline a trip to the theater. But even we have to admit that not all theater seating was created equally. Sure most of it isn’t bad, but sometimes we just wish we could bring the projector and screen home so we could lie in bed in our jammies with a bowl of popcorn and really relax. Too bad we can’t bring our beds to the theater…
Or can we??
Jun 17, 2013
Since the first performance in 2008, Sutra has been staged in 55 cities in 27 countries and has become an exceptionally popular show.
To develop and stage this awe-inspiring performance, the contemporary dance superstar Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui collaborated with 17 Shaolin monks he became acquainted with while studying at a temple in China.
Mar 6, 2013
The British stage production of Studio Ghibli’s 1997 animated classic Princess Mononoke, originally only intended for audiences at London’s Diorama Theatre this April, will be brought to Japan, it was announced earlier today.
Aug 9, 2012
For the avid reader, environment can be everything. Some people prefer to read in the silence of a library while others prefer the ambience of cafés or parks; different readers have different conditions that must be met for them to truly lose themselves in a book.
But what would it feel like if you sat, with book in hand, in the third-floor balcony of a renovated theater-turned-bookstore with high painted ceilings and crimson stage curtains still intact? That’s exactly what El Ateneo, the world’s second most beautiful bookstore, offers readers.
Our correspondent Photographer Koach recently traveled to Avenida Santa Fe in Buenos Aires, Argentina where El Ateneo is located to see the bookstore for himself.
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!1
- Does the way you cross your arms say anything about your personality? Japan thinks so2
- The newer, cheaper Kakureya II: The perfect secret fort/box for studying, drinking, or napping3
- Over half of Japanese adults do this in the shower – How about you?4
- Yokohama restaurant serves fried axolotl, along with giant isopod, camel, and crocodile5
- Pretty Russian sports fan lets loose animal roar to support her team, terrify humanity 【Video】6
- Online survey reveals the types of guys elementary school girls DON’T want to date7
- This man’s first hand-drawn maze took seven years to complete, now he’s working on a second one8
- Anime-loving mum takes kyara-ben to a new level with these well-drawn anime bentos9
- NHK offices are too boring for broadcast after earthquake, “borrows” from tweets10
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours1
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer2
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute3
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters4
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world5
- Turn an ordinary balloon into a smartphone case in seconds with this neat trick6
- Live-action Attack on Titan posters show new characters and weapons, plus one huge absence7
- Can you spot the problem that led to the recall of this otherwise cute Japanese New Year’s card?8
- Our Japanese reporter visits an American sushi restaurant in Japan9
- Question reveals how foreigners feel about speaking Japanese, getting English in return10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises5
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit6
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make7
- One Piece manga sends off Naruto with a classy secret message8
- Clever Japanese pet owners find perfect cat beds…at IKEA! 【Photos】9
- Just a bunch of adorable cats riding on trains in Japan10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher3
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”4
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】5
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China6
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later7
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea10
- Pretty Russian sports fan lets loose animal roar to support her team, terrify humanity 【Video】
- Online survey reveals the types of guys elementary school girls DON’T want to date
- This man’s first hand-drawn maze took seven years to complete, now he’s working on a second one
- Anime-loving mum takes kyara-ben to a new level with these well-drawn anime bentos
- NHK offices are too boring for broadcast after earthquake, “borrows” from tweets
- Turn an ordinary balloon into a smartphone case in seconds with this neat trick
- Visit Japan without ever leaving home with these eight beautiful videos
- How to cook miso soup (the right way) in a few simple steps【RocketKitchen】
- The animated meals in Ghibli’s movies have our mouths watering
- Japan is doing what people do best with fallen leaves: playing with them【Photos】
- Women at World Wushu Championships attack each other at the speed of light
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours
- Make sure to visit this historical onsen once before you die, or just do it right now with Google