Usually all we look for in a theater is comfy seats, a decent sound system, and good movies. If you’re really picky, you might even seek out places with a beer menu, cheap tickets, or a unique schedule. Probably the last thing on your mind would the architecture of the building–but if you’re a fan of Studio Ghibli, you’ll definitely want check out Laputa, a cinema in a building inspired by the legendary Castle in the Sky!
Osamu Tezuka‘s Astro Boy, in addition to being a historically important piece of entertainment, is also widely beloved around the world. And now, some sixty-plus years after its first inception as a manga, it’s been granted additional life on the stage, thanks to the efforts of playwright and director Natsu Onoda Power, and the folks at the Company One theater company.
May 23, 2014
Since its first performance 100 years ago, Japan’s Takarazuka Revue has been the country’s most respected theater company. While the troupe is known for its lavish costume and set designs, as well as its bombastic musical performances, its most distinctive characteristic is that the group is composed entirely of actresses, with women playing both male and female roles.
To their fans, Takarazuka actresses are the epitome of grace and poise. There are a lot of pitfalls that have to be avoided to maintain that pristine image, though, as shown by the company’s list of the 25 marks of ugly women.
Catch a movie in bed…at the theater! Four awesome theaters from around the world with beds for seats
Jan 18, 2014
We love movies. That’s not really a surprise or a secret, but it certainly is true! Whether it’s some kung-fu cop action or the latest from Ghibli, we would be hard-pressed to decline a trip to the theater. But even we have to admit that not all theater seating was created equally. Sure most of it isn’t bad, but sometimes we just wish we could bring the projector and screen home so we could lie in bed in our jammies with a bowl of popcorn and really relax. Too bad we can’t bring our beds to the theater…
Or can we??
Jun 17, 2013
Since the first performance in 2008, Sutra has been staged in 55 cities in 27 countries and has become an exceptionally popular show.
To develop and stage this awe-inspiring performance, the contemporary dance superstar Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui collaborated with 17 Shaolin monks he became acquainted with while studying at a temple in China.
Mar 6, 2013
The British stage production of Studio Ghibli’s 1997 animated classic Princess Mononoke, originally only intended for audiences at London’s Diorama Theatre this April, will be brought to Japan, it was announced earlier today.
Aug 9, 2012
For the avid reader, environment can be everything. Some people prefer to read in the silence of a library while others prefer the ambience of cafés or parks; different readers have different conditions that must be met for them to truly lose themselves in a book.
But what would it feel like if you sat, with book in hand, in the third-floor balcony of a renovated theater-turned-bookstore with high painted ceilings and crimson stage curtains still intact? That’s exactly what El Ateneo, the world’s second most beautiful bookstore, offers readers.
Our correspondent Photographer Koach recently traveled to Avenida Santa Fe in Buenos Aires, Argentina where El Ateneo is located to see the bookstore for himself.
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours1
- Stand back, kids! 64-year-old enka singer Aki Yashiro completely nails cover of Evangelion theme2
- Live-action Attack on Titan posters show new characters and weapons, plus one huge absence3
- 83-year-old retiree arrested for selling explicit pre-war photos online4
- A vision of the future? We can’t take our eyes off Shimizu Corporation’s “Ocean Spiral” design5
- Filled to bursting point? Rush-hour crush on Tokyo subway leaves train with broken window6
- Japanese dictionary removes heteronormative definitions of love and sex7
- All-male dance group in Japan breaks the ice with incredible “Frozen” inspired number【Video】8
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world9
- Anti-UK World War II era photograph featuring grimacing geisha uncovered10
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make1
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours2
- Taiwan Rugby Union’s naked calendar: Because men have butts too【Photos】3
- Budding Japanese student artists impress us with chalkboard works of art4
- Clever Japanese pet owners find perfect cat beds…at IKEA! 【Photos】5
- Japanese sleep experts say we’ve been using our blankets wrong, help us hate winter a little less6
- Controversial pick-up artist breaks silence as campaign against him continues7
- Cat got your tongue? 10 unusual Japanese phrases that use the word ‘cat’8
- The familiar looks of “once-in-four-thousand-year” Chinese idol have Japanese netizens talking9
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school3
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads4
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises5
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit6
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make7
- One Piece manga sends off Naruto with a classy secret message8
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours9
- Clever Japanese pet owners find perfect cat beds…at IKEA! 【Photos】10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher3
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”4
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】5
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China6
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later7
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons8
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea9
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked10
- Filled to bursting point? Rush-hour crush on Tokyo subway leaves train with broken window
- Japanese dictionary removes heteronormative definitions of love and sex
- All-male dance group in Japan breaks the ice with incredible “Frozen” inspired number【Video】
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world
- Anti-UK World War II era photograph featuring grimacing geisha uncovered
- 【TBT】Chocolate-covered squid, corn Kit Kat, and other anomalies of the Japanese snack food scene
- Japanese baseball fans disappointed by filthy conditions visiting Major Leaguers left dugout in
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make
- Eyes on your own paper! 1,200 Chinese students take test outdoors to prevent cheating 【Photos】
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- Continue your collection of Kit Kats with a NEW flavor inspired by Japan’s bullet train
- Legendary DJ Krush performs with traditional Japanese musicians to create music for your dreams
- Self-defense tip: Dealing with unwanted kabe-don