Usually when you walk into a public restroom and see something out of the ordinary, it’s almost always the bad sort of surprise. Dirty floors, toilet seats with an extra bit of yellow, and much, much worse are just a part of the risk you take when entering an area complete strangers use to do their business. But one Twitter user got a different sort of surprise when she walked in to a bathroom stall and saw a face staring back.
There are a number of little niceties and services that make Japan a very comfortable place to live. Personally, my favorite has always been the folded toilet paper ends that can often be found in public restroom stalls everywhere. I don’t encounter them especially often, but when I do it brightens my day just like having a robin land on my window sill.
However, you can’t experience such joy without leaving yourself vulnerable to extreme disappointment as well. A prank has recently emerged in Japan which, although seemingly mundane and simple, completely shatters this sense of pleasure and leaves the victim a desolate shell of a person, just like having a robin land on your window sill and start projectile vomiting.
Aug 11, 2014
It’s a well-known fact that the average person has 27 plastic bags under their kitchen sink, and a minimum of three old toilet paper tubes in their bathroom. Also, did you know that 63 percent of statistics are made up?
Anyway, if you’re looking for a nifty use for old toilet roll tubes, and don’t have a small child to palm them off on in the name of encouraging their crafting creativity, Japanese Twitter user @ChigasakiR134 has a summer life hack for you! All you’ll need is one toilet paper tube and two paper cups.
Mar 28, 2014
Police may or may not be on the lookout for a woman with chronic diarrhoea this week after it became clear than an incredible 900 rolls of toilet paper have been swiped from city hall restrooms in Tokushima, Shikoku over the past three years, with the trend showing no sign of coming to an end any time soon.
Feb 3, 2014
The rules at hotels tend to be the kinds of things you can’t do, like swimming in the pool after seven or running naked down the hallways. But that’s not always the case–sometimes the rules tell you what you should be doing. Case in point: One Osaka hotel’s sign instructing Korean patrons to flush their toilet paper down the toilet.
No one likes using public toilets, do they?
With the smell, the uncomfortable and unfamiliar surroundings, and the fear of butt-cooties latching onto our heinies, it’s only out of desperation that most people will drop their pants and park their naked butts onto a public toilet seat. So when one of the more fastidious members of society is faced with a dire situation, what do they do?
Japan worships the bathroom. Heated seats, music players, and carefully calculated washing mechanisms to clean your behind are just a few of the bathroom luxuries that can be found here. Now there’s a new product on the market in Japan ensuring that the toilet paper will smell wonderful even if what it’s cleaning doesn’t.
If you were terrified by the Ring series featuring Sadako, you may want to steer clear of this particular brand of toilet paper. But, you may ask, how can toilet paper be terrifying? Well, once you read about this unique toilet paper, I think you’ll agree that it’s one scary product! This toilet paper, made by tissue and toilet paper manufacturer Hayashi Paper, has printed on it a novella by Koji Suzuki, the author of the original Ring novels! And the best part? It’s now going to be available in English! Read More
- Turn an ordinary balloon into a smartphone case in seconds with this neat trick1
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours2
- Question reveals how foreigners feel about speaking Japanese, getting English in return3
- Our Japanese reporter visits an American sushi restaurant in Japan4
- How to cook miso soup (the right way) in a few simple steps【RocketKitchen】5
- Make sure to visit this historical onsen once before you die, or just do it right now with Google6
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute7
- Tokyo train delayed due to the strangest of reasons8
- Creative 15-year-old artist makes characters pop out of “notebooks” like magic9
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters10
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours1
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world2
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer3
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters4
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute5
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make6
- Japanese sleep experts say we’ve been using our blankets wrong, help us hate winter a little less7
- Budding Japanese student artists impress us with chalkboard works of art8
- Live-action Attack on Titan posters show new characters and weapons, plus one huge absence9
- Controversial pick-up artist breaks silence as campaign against him continues10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises5
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit6
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make7
- One Piece manga sends off Naruto with a classy secret message8
- Clever Japanese pet owners find perfect cat beds…at IKEA! 【Photos】9
- Just a bunch of adorable cats riding on trains in Japan10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher3
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”4
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】5
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China6
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later7
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons8
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea9
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked10
- Make sure to visit this historical onsen once before you die, or just do it right now with Google
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute
- Tokyo train delayed due to the strangest of reasons
- Creative 15-year-old artist makes characters pop out of “notebooks” like magic
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world
- The weirder the better? These Japanese zakka are hot sellers in Korea
- The 9 types of basketball players in Slam Dunk – which type are you?
- “We don’t want to be girls. We just want to be cute!” The future of crossdressing in Osaka
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer
- Cat got your tongue? 10 unusual Japanese phrases that use the word ‘cat’
- The top 10 spots in Tokyo to make an anime pilgrimage
- Live-action Attack on Titan posters show new characters and weapons, plus one huge absence