We should probably start a new series here at RocketNews24 featuring “commercials that are bound to make you dissolve in a puddle of tears unless you’re actually an android in disguise.” In addition to Intel Japan and a Thai insurance company’s advertisements earlier this year, these tear-jerking commercials have made us break down sobbing for a third time with a new entry by music company Tosando about a father’s very special message to his daughter on her wedding day. Whether you’re a classical music buff or not, be ready with a box of tissues nearby before watching it – you’re guaranteed to let out a few sniffles at the very least.
- Casey Baseel
Apr 7, 2014
In plenty of situations, Japan’s reliance on public transportation is a life-saver. Need some extra time to study for that test in first period? Pull out your notebook and review on the train to school. Had a few drinks too many? Park yourself in a seat on the subway, take a 30-minute nap, and arrive at the station with just enough power to walk home and get your key in the door.
Now, a railway in Chiba Prefecture is looking to give a hand not just to procrastinating students and heavy drinkers (who are, of course, often one and the same), but to young lovers, too, with its special priority seats for couples. That’s right, singletons, you just got one more reason to hate clingy couples.
- Joan Coello
Mar 23, 2014
Many city dwellers, including myself, complain and curse whenever the bus or train is late or breaks down mid-commute, causing us to be late for school or work. We often forget that we are in fact very lucky to be able to commute on public transport. Some children living in the suburbs or countryside spend hours on foot, some even have to cross mountains or rivers just to get to school.
Somewhere in Yibin City of Szechuan Province, China, a 66-year-old granny covers four kilometers of mountain roads on foot each day to send her handicapped granddaughter to school. That in itself is already an amazing feat, but the incredible thing is, they have never been late for school!
- Casey Baseel
Mar 20, 2014
Like a lot of kids who grew up in Southern California, I’ve got fond memories of going to Disneyland and seeing characters from my favorite cartoons walking around. So it was a bit of a surprise when I moved to Japan, a country that arguably buys into the concept of Disney magic more wholeheartedly than any other, and met multiple people, generally women, who said the costumed performers were their least favorite part of a visit to Disneyland. “Mickey dances around and acts so cute,” they’d say, “but what if there’s some middle-aged guy inside?”
Personally, I’d say a middle-aged man is still far less appalling than an actual human-sized rodent would be, but somehow that age/gender combination was always held up as the worst possible reality that could be hiding inside the suit.
Meanwhile, in China, Disney fans have come flocking to one Mickey Mouse performer with an even more surprising identity: a 75-year-old woman.
Icha Icha is a Japanese term used to describe anything from light flirting to making love. It includes things like ‘necking’ and ‘making out’, but also holding hands or even just entwining pinky fingers. Drawing close and giving long meaningful looks is also included in the realm of icha icha.
Traditionally, Japan is not a touchy country. Unless you are jammed up against somebody on a rush hour train, you tend to keep yourself to yourself. Just think of how hands off bowing, the traditional greeting between two people, is.
Although more young people these days tend to hold hands or hold on to each other in some way, kissing in public, is still quite taboo. It has always been quite shocking to see any couple kissing in the street or on the subway in Japan. (Possibly the refrain to “Get a room” or “take it elsewhere” is universal, but such public displays of affection have always been less frequent in Japan than say, the US or France.)
Being a relatively new thing, this public icha icha-ing, has no guidelines to it. More and more people find themselves in the uncomfortable situation of coming face to face with icha icha without knowing how to react to it.
Yahoo! Japan asked readers for their thoughts on where they draw the line on public displays of affection. In other words: How much public icha icha you are willing to put up with?
- Five amazing Japanese Starbucks locations that let you keep sightseeing as you take a break1
- Touching Final Fantasy X cover on the violin takes you “To Zanarkand”【Video】2
- J-Pop group Tokio suspected in the sudden construction of a super-long noodle slide3
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old to raise her to be his “ideal girl”4
- Looking for a unique job environment? This could be as unique (and isolated) as it gets in Japan!5
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!6
- Pikachu, we eat you! – A visit to Tokyo’s Pokémon restaurant7
- Excited for the new Dragon Ball Z flick? Check out the teaser trailer right here8
- Man questioned by police after building “girl” out of plastic bottles, taking her out on a date9
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman10
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- This man’s face left Chinese internet users in amazement, agony and confusion 【Photos】3
- Creative pet “haircuts”: Funky or funny? You decide.4
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman5
- More than one way to skin a cat? Japanese YouTuber shows how to “open” a cat with belly rubs6
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old to raise her to be his “ideal girl”7
- Is Attack on Titan a documentary? Mikasa spotted in Russia!8
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】9
- 5 amazingly cute cosplayers who you’ll run into at anime conventions10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- 16 photos that show why Singapore has the world’s best airline6
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】7
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land8
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic9
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- What if Sailor Moon characters were lingerie models? They’d look stunning like this 【Photos】9
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】10
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!
- Pikachu, we eat you! – A visit to Tokyo’s Pokémon restaurant
- Excited for the new Dragon Ball Z flick? Check out the teaser trailer right here
- Man questioned by police after building “girl” out of plastic bottles, taking her out on a date
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman
- Our take on Studio Ghibli’s newest anime, When Marnie Was There【Impressions】
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- Grandpa makes Totoro for grandkids after move
- Chinese mall’s large pink parking spaces for women seen as sexist by some, wonderful by others
- Inconsiderate commuter behavior in Korea – A photo guide
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!
- Beautiful 400-year-old garden in Okayama about to be replaced with condominium complex
- This awful woman stealing a little kid’s foul ball will ruin your day