A sneaky Twitter user snapped this shot of a kabe-don in action right in the middle of the world’s busiest train station. Always eager for a bit of 2-D romance come to life, netizens were looking forward images of a cute female station attendant blushing in her uniform while being thoroughly kabe-donned by a towering, masculine passenger… Unfortunately that’s not quite what they got.
On Tuesday evening, commuters at Urawa Station in Saitama Prefecture were in for a bit of a shock when an abandoned piece of corrugated cardboard suddenly burst into flames. The fire was soon extinguished by station attendants, but the question remains: what caused the mysterious incident?
Scott R Dixon
Feb 11, 2014
With Japan’s reputation as a country serious about train travel, train stations are a ubiquitous sight across Japan where they serve as gateways to the country’s extensive rail network. And these gateways have their own little quirks that give each station its own unique personality. From one station’s catchy “here comes the train” theme tune to an insane rush of comic book geeks running through ticket gates, click below for five quirky looks at train stations across Japan!
Aug 20, 2013
Recently, a Twitter user snapped a photo of an interesting sign on their train platform. The station worker at this particular stop might need to review their basic Japanese grammar.
Feb 2, 2013
A few days after a mysterious list of the 51 busiest train stations in the world emerged on the Internet an expanded version listing the 100 busiest train stations around the globe has shown itself.
Although other countries such as China and Germany made appearances, the densely populated island of Japan still holds 82 of the bustling transport hubs. And while Japan seems full of stations that resemble Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory, only the top 10 are really that freakishly large and chaotic.
A couple of days ago this little graph surfaced online displaying some interesting statistics. It’s a bar chart of the busiest train stations in the world, measured by the number of people who pass through them each year.
Perhaps coming as no surprise to those who have experienced its mind-numbingly complex transport complexes, Japan tops the list. What is surprising is the degree to which Japan dominates this list, with all but six stations residing here, and about half of them in the Tokyo area alone.
- Ready to tie the anime knot? Company offers marriage certificate for you and your 2D waifu1
- Japanese makeup artist does classic Hollywood glamour, recreates Audrey Hepburn’s coveted look2
- Too busy to wrap Christmas presents? Not if you’ve got 12 seconds, Japanese store shows【Video】3
- 11 never-ending hypnotic GIFs that just made a portion of our weekend disappear mysteriously4
- Japan’s premier beatboxer sets YouTube ablaze, annoys fans with lack of beatboxing5
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker6
- Latest evolution of Pokémon cafe to open in Shibuya this January7
- New Evangelion short film now streaming on animation studio’s website8
- One more time! Anime fans choose the series they’d most like to see rerun on TV9
- How to say “I love you” in Japanese – 47 different ways 【Videos】10
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】1
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood2
- Life imitates (Sword) Art (Online) as Japanese gamers find they can’t log out of online RPG3
- Character images of new Digimon Adventure series released, expected to air in spring 20154
- Ready to tie the anime knot? Company offers marriage certificate for you and your 2D waifu5
- Artist magically transforms Sailor Moon characters into black women6
- Japan’s cutest rodent commuters take the high-road【Video】7
- Our hero Ladybeard shows us and the world how to properly wear the much-talked about boob shirt8
- Too busy to wrap Christmas presents? Not if you’ve got 12 seconds, Japanese store shows【Video】9
- How humanity ends: Virtual reality headset hooked up to Tenga love cup for men 【Video】10
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood1
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin2
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】3
- How to say “I love you” in Japanese – 47 different ways 【Videos】4
- Japanese man proposes to girlfriend with Guinness World Record-winning GPS drawing5
- Historic Kyoto temple first in Japan to offer gay weddings6
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!7
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】8
- Hayao Miyazaki comments on Chihiro’s final test scene in Spirited Away9
- Fashion gone wrong? Boob shirts take Twitter by storm10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】3
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China4
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood5
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin6
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked7
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours8
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】9
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- Latest evolution of Pokémon cafe to open in Shibuya this January
- New Evangelion short film now streaming on animation studio’s website
- One more time! Anime fans choose the series they’d most like to see rerun on TV
- How to say “I love you” in Japanese – 47 different ways 【Videos】
- Tips from Japan to make your skin extra beautiful! It begins with a bath and…
- Pokemon fan’s heads exploding over guy’s classic Gameboy makeover video
- Piccolo saves Christmas when he’s not saving Namekians
- Self-healing glasses on sale next year
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong
- Sick of BABYMETAL? How about some sumo metal!
- The top 10 Instagram photo locations for Japan in 2014 【Photos】
- Character images of new Digimon Adventure series released, expected to air in spring 2015
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】