A sneaky Twitter user snapped this shot of a kabe-don in action right in the middle of the world’s busiest train station. Always eager for a bit of 2-D romance come to life, netizens were looking forward images of a cute female station attendant blushing in her uniform while being thoroughly kabe-donned by a towering, masculine passenger… Unfortunately that’s not quite what they got.
On Tuesday evening, commuters at Urawa Station in Saitama Prefecture were in for a bit of a shock when an abandoned piece of corrugated cardboard suddenly burst into flames. The fire was soon extinguished by station attendants, but the question remains: what caused the mysterious incident?
Scott R Dixon
Feb 11, 2014
With Japan’s reputation as a country serious about train travel, train stations are a ubiquitous sight across Japan where they serve as gateways to the country’s extensive rail network. And these gateways have their own little quirks that give each station its own unique personality. From one station’s catchy “here comes the train” theme tune to an insane rush of comic book geeks running through ticket gates, click below for five quirky looks at train stations across Japan!
Aug 20, 2013
Recently, a Twitter user snapped a photo of an interesting sign on their train platform. The station worker at this particular stop might need to review their basic Japanese grammar.
Feb 2, 2013
A few days after a mysterious list of the 51 busiest train stations in the world emerged on the Internet an expanded version listing the 100 busiest train stations around the globe has shown itself.
Although other countries such as China and Germany made appearances, the densely populated island of Japan still holds 82 of the bustling transport hubs. And while Japan seems full of stations that resemble Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory, only the top 10 are really that freakishly large and chaotic.
A couple of days ago this little graph surfaced online displaying some interesting statistics. It’s a bar chart of the busiest train stations in the world, measured by the number of people who pass through them each year.
Perhaps coming as no surprise to those who have experienced its mind-numbingly complex transport complexes, Japan tops the list. What is surprising is the degree to which Japan dominates this list, with all but six stations residing here, and about half of them in the Tokyo area alone.
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!1
- Japanese model builder wins at Gundam, makes a 3D model look like a flat drawing2
- Store employee uses barcode scanner to defeat knife-wielding robber3
- Japanese dictionary removes heteronormative definitions of love and sex4
- Young man’s clever use of an umbrella saves injured kitten5
- Artist creates “PokeMonstrosities” that are the stuff of nightmares6
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】7
- Oh no, osechi! Why don’t young people in Japan like eating traditional New Year’s dishes?8
- Casual cosplay: for those who want to dress the part 365 days a year【Photos】9
- Love curry? Why not wear it around your neck? Plastic food neckpieces get netizens talking10
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】1
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours2
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!3
- Turn an ordinary balloon into a smartphone case in seconds with this neat trick4
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute5
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters6
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer7
- Does the way you cross your arms say anything about your personality? Japan thinks so8
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world9
- Can you spot the problem that led to the recall of this otherwise cute Japanese New Year’s card?10
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”1
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher2
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school3
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】4
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours5
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises6
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit7
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make8
- One Piece manga sends off Naruto with a classy secret message9
- Clever Japanese pet owners find perfect cat beds…at IKEA! 【Photos】10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher3
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”4
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】5
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China6
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later7
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea10
- Artist creates “PokeMonstrosities” that are the stuff of nightmares
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】
- Oh no, osechi! Why don’t young people in Japan like eating traditional New Year’s dishes?
- Casual cosplay: for those who want to dress the part 365 days a year【Photos】
- Love curry? Why not wear it around your neck? Plastic food neckpieces get netizens talking
- Free to download Japanese marriage applications are cute, stylish, and legally binding
- Jibanyan, Japan chooses you! Pikachu trampled beneath paws of Youkai Watch mascot
- Does the way you cross your arms say anything about your personality? Japan thinks so
- More adorable photos from Japan’s fox village
- Tokyo adding free Wi-Fi to 143 subway stations for foreign travelers
- “Hello Kitty Park” in China is set to open on New Year’s Day!
- Japanese mothers react to being called by their first names after years of just being “Mama”
- The 10 best anime of the fall season, according to Japanese otaku