Toymaker Takara Tomy took the previous console rivalry of Sega Genesis (known as Mega Drive in Japan) and Sony‘s PlayStation One and literally transformed it. The seemingly run-of-the-mill replicas are actually Transformers. The PSOne turns into the Autobot’s leader Optimus Prime while the Genesis turns into the Decepticon’s Megatron. Both figures were on display at earlier this month at the Summer Hobby Maker Joint Products Exhibition.
So it’s the 30th anniversary of the Transformers, the 20th anniversary of the original PlayStation, and TakaraTomy Arts is the bolder, crazier cousin of the legendary Japanese toymaker TakaraTomy (who distribute Transformer toys in Japan).
What do these three things have in common? Well, TakaraTomy Arts apparently saw that the venerable console and the adored-before-a-certain-Hollywood-filmmaker-destroyed-it cartoon robot franchise were both celebrating a milestone and decided to commemorate it the only logical way: By combining the two into a new badass toy.
I never really felt much about Michael Bay one way or another until he started in on Transformers. Michael, sir, we may share the same first name and I may be willing to enjoy the casual racism and over-the-top violence of your earlier works, but when you start messing around with my childhood… That’s where I draw the line.
Transformers may have never been anything more than a glorified 30-minute toy commercial with a loosely cohesive story arc at its best, but to my child brain, it was my glorified toy commercial…with ROBOTS!
While Michael Bay may have had a field day, and earned literal truckloads of money, destroying my childhood, a Malaysian fan had the incredibly bright idea of using actual Transformers toys to make an awesome stop-motion homage to the venerable 80’s classic.
Jul 1, 2014
While we’d never advocate acts of revenge as such, we have to admit that, if it’s worth doing at all, it’s worth doing well. And this is one such example.
Dumped seven years ago because he was too poor even to take his girl to the movies, this now highly successful businessman continued to be plagued by feelings of bitterness and regret. Deciding that it was time to exorcise his love-life demons once and for all, he splashed his cash and bought up thousands of tickets for the Beijing premiere of Transformers: Age of Extinction, giving them away to those who spread the word of his tremendous wealth online.
Jun 5, 2014
Okay, so the type of pen that you use in your daily routine may not be the most important detail in your life. But when you have a fun and attractive pen to write with, it helps to make your day just a little bit brighter, doesn’t it? In that spirit, we’ve already introduced you to a line of lovely Sailor Moon pens in one of our past articles, but this time, we’ve found some pens that may be a delight for those of you more into the robot/mecha genre. They’re Transformers pens, and yes, they actually change shapes — so Transformers fans, get ready to “transform and roll out” the letters!
Maker Faire is an event that gives people a chance to showcase their DIY projects and emphasizes the importance of being creators and innovators rather than just consumers.
As you might imagine, when the event came to tech-savvy Japan on Dec 1st and 2nd, there was some serious gadgetry on display, including a fully functional Transformer robot from Brave Robotics. Read More
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!1
- Does the way you cross your arms say anything about your personality? Japan thinks so2
- The newer, cheaper Kakureya II: The perfect secret fort/box for studying, drinking, or napping3
- Anime-loving mum takes kyara-ben to a new level with these well-drawn anime bentos4
- Over half of Japanese adults do this in the shower – How about you?5
- Doting owner builds cosy kotatsu for cats, faces the sting of feline rejection【Photos】6
- Yokohama restaurant serves fried axolotl, along with giant isopod, camel, and crocodile7
- Online survey reveals the types of guys elementary school girls DON’T want to date8
- Visit Japan without ever leaving home with these eight beautiful videos9
- Pretty Russian sports fan lets loose animal roar to support her team, terrify humanity 【Video】10
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours1
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute2
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer3
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters4
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world5
- Turn an ordinary balloon into a smartphone case in seconds with this neat trick6
- Live-action Attack on Titan posters show new characters and weapons, plus one huge absence7
- Can you spot the problem that led to the recall of this otherwise cute Japanese New Year’s card?8
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!9
- Our Japanese reporter visits an American sushi restaurant in Japan10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises5
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit6
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make7
- One Piece manga sends off Naruto with a classy secret message8
- Clever Japanese pet owners find perfect cat beds…at IKEA! 【Photos】9
- Just a bunch of adorable cats riding on trains in Japan10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher3
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”4
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】5
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China6
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later7
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea10
- Doting owner builds cosy kotatsu for cats, faces the sting of feline rejection【Photos】
- Yokohama restaurant serves fried axolotl, along with giant isopod, camel, and crocodile
- Online survey reveals the types of guys elementary school girls DON’T want to date
- Visit Japan without ever leaving home with these eight beautiful videos
- Pretty Russian sports fan lets loose animal roar to support her team, terrify humanity 【Video】
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours
- This man’s first hand-drawn maze took seven years to complete, now he’s working on a second one
- NHK offices are too boring for broadcast after earthquake, “borrows” from tweets
- Japan is doing what people do best with fallen leaves: playing with them【Photos】
- Bonsai treehouses look like something out of Howl’s Moving Castle 【Photos】
- Women at World Wushu Championships attack each other at the speed of light
- Make sure to visit this historical onsen once before you die, or just do it right now with Google