Toymaker Takara Tomy took the previous console rivalry of Sega Genesis (known as Mega Drive in Japan) and Sony‘s PlayStation One and literally transformed it. The seemingly run-of-the-mill replicas are actually Transformers. The PSOne turns into the Autobot’s leader Optimus Prime while the Genesis turns into the Decepticon’s Megatron. Both figures were on display at earlier this month at the Summer Hobby Maker Joint Products Exhibition.
So it’s the 30th anniversary of the Transformers, the 20th anniversary of the original PlayStation, and TakaraTomy Arts is the bolder, crazier cousin of the legendary Japanese toymaker TakaraTomy (who distribute Transformer toys in Japan).
What do these three things have in common? Well, TakaraTomy Arts apparently saw that the venerable console and the adored-before-a-certain-Hollywood-filmmaker-destroyed-it cartoon robot franchise were both celebrating a milestone and decided to commemorate it the only logical way: By combining the two into a new badass toy.
I never really felt much about Michael Bay one way or another until he started in on Transformers. Michael, sir, we may share the same first name and I may be willing to enjoy the casual racism and over-the-top violence of your earlier works, but when you start messing around with my childhood… That’s where I draw the line.
Transformers may have never been anything more than a glorified 30-minute toy commercial with a loosely cohesive story arc at its best, but to my child brain, it was my glorified toy commercial…with ROBOTS!
While Michael Bay may have had a field day, and earned literal truckloads of money, destroying my childhood, a Malaysian fan had the incredibly bright idea of using actual Transformers toys to make an awesome stop-motion homage to the venerable 80’s classic.
Jul 1, 2014
While we’d never advocate acts of revenge as such, we have to admit that, if it’s worth doing at all, it’s worth doing well. And this is one such example.
Dumped seven years ago because he was too poor even to take his girl to the movies, this now highly successful businessman continued to be plagued by feelings of bitterness and regret. Deciding that it was time to exorcise his love-life demons once and for all, he splashed his cash and bought up thousands of tickets for the Beijing premiere of Transformers: Age of Extinction, giving them away to those who spread the word of his tremendous wealth online.
Jun 5, 2014
Okay, so the type of pen that you use in your daily routine may not be the most important detail in your life. But when you have a fun and attractive pen to write with, it helps to make your day just a little bit brighter, doesn’t it? In that spirit, we’ve already introduced you to a line of lovely Sailor Moon pens in one of our past articles, but this time, we’ve found some pens that may be a delight for those of you more into the robot/mecha genre. They’re Transformers pens, and yes, they actually change shapes — so Transformers fans, get ready to “transform and roll out” the letters!
Maker Faire is an event that gives people a chance to showcase their DIY projects and emphasizes the importance of being creators and innovators rather than just consumers.
As you might imagine, when the event came to tech-savvy Japan on Dec 1st and 2nd, there was some serious gadgetry on display, including a fully functional Transformer robot from Brave Robotics. Read More
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads1
- Cats trapped in circles! Japanese blogger shows the best way to outsmart your kitty【Photos】2
- New smartphone game turns your photos of real-world cats into in-game warriors3
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked4
- 5 powerful reasons to be a woman in Japan 【Women in Japan Series】5
- Is that cute girl’s profile pic really anything like her ‘real’ face?6
- 2-D anime characters so cute, you just gotta pinch their cheeks7
- Detached female hand iPhone cases are here to provide…emotional comfort?8
- North Korea bars foreign tourists to prevent spread of Ebola9
- Brilliant use for the almost expired milk in your fridge: It’s time for some milk jam!10
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked1
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads2
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls3
- We still don’t feel bad for you, Emperor: Photos of actors and their historical counterparts4
- Video of guy giving pandas medicine is insanely cute, unless you’re the guy5
- Worst date ever! Japan’s ladies reveal the top five date ideas to avoid6
- Robot rebellion begins with a cranky Roomba, Internet users too busy laughing to fight back7
- Poor little dog is driven into corner by owner’s terrifying new house guest8
- Chinese woman’s catty comeback to Korean colleague gets netizens talking9
- Why does Engrish happen in Japan?10
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】1
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China2
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked3
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea4
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked5
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads6
- Watch liquid turn into food at Japanese sample food factory 【Videos】7
- Japanese mothers react to being called by their first names after years of just being “Mama”8
- “Beautiful foreigner walking a polar bear” spotted at Shibuya’s famous crossing9
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls10
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】1
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star2
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls3
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】4
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China5
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later6
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady10
- Is that cute girl’s profile pic really anything like her ‘real’ face?
- 2-D anime characters so cute, you just gotta pinch their cheeks
- Detached female hand iPhone cases are here to provide…emotional comfort?
- North Korea bars foreign tourists to prevent spread of Ebola
- Brilliant use for the almost expired milk in your fridge: It’s time for some milk jam!
- Anger online as tweeting tech guru Takeshi Natsuno slams Sendai for rejecting IC card
- 【TBT】The top 9 anime situations that seem likely to happen, but never do
- Learn Japanese from YouTube: Amp up your listening skills with this four-step guide
- “2.5D Mask” lets you spend the day as an anime character, frighten pets and small children
- You’ll never want to stop cleaning with this penguin mop topper
- The plot thickens: Pizza Hut Japan’s feline employees disappear overnight, forcing store closure 【Video】
- Ken Akamatsu bemoans Britain’s child pornography sentencing