Crossdressing and genderbending are not only long-time staples of Japanese anime and manga, but also of TV and celebrity culture. From this, anyone would think that Japan was one of the most open and accepting countries when it comes to people who don’t fit into traditional gender roles or relationships. However, the reality outside of media and entertainment is often quite different. Family and work life are both still clearly divided down gender lines, and men who engage in anything that blurs or crosses these lines are generally shunned. But could the girl who dumps a guy just because he turns up to a date in a dress be the one who’s really missing out?
- Philip Kendall
Dec 6, 2013
We’re starting to think there might be something in the water over in China. Just a few days ago, we stumbled upon one of the most stunning actually-I’m-a-guy girls on the internet, and now a new model is stealing hearts all over the country. And yes, once again, this Asian princess is in fact a pretty prince in makeup.
Even so, it would seem that many Chinese netizens are now reaching the point where they’re starting to think, “To heck with it, he’s still gorgeous,” and would be proud to make this young man their wife.
A racy new Japanese ad campaign launched for the 2012 Toyota Auris, or Corolla as it’s known in some markets, has been causing a commotion for boldly challenging convention—and probably not in the way you would think.
Have a look at the commercial below.
Jul 24, 2012
Not everyone is born into their ideal body—that’s why people get cosmetic surgery, right?
But imagine if you were born into a body of the opposite gender, or transgender. If you thought being born with a flat chest or a crooked nose was bad, try dealing with a whole collection of unneeded parts, not to mention the stress of everyone telling you you’re a gender that you know you’re not.
Luckily, just as regular people can get plastic surgery, transgender people can physically change their bodies to match their gender by taking hormones in a process known as hormone replacement therapy (HRT).
Wonder how much the human body can change just by rebalancing some chemicals? A series of photographs documenting the physical transformation of a transgender female (chick born into a dude’s body) as she goes through HRT has been dropping jaws across the internet.
- Toyokazu Nagano’s “Magic Road” – the funniest, most adorable photos you’ll see today1
- Japanese critic shares his (kinda weird) views on Japanese vs Western adult entertainment2
- Gamer discovers his deceased father’s ghost on an old Xbox game, challenges it to a race3
- Pikachu’s dramatic decline in popularity captured in photos4
- Looking for a unique job environment? This could be as unique (and isolated) as it gets in Japan!5
- No peripheral vision – Japan’s gamers sound off on hardware add-on nightmares6
- Dreamed of living in a “Phil Collins” mansion? Come to Japan and you can!7
- Korean drama advances slap technology with ancient Korean recipe8
- Five amazing Japanese Starbucks locations that let you keep sightseeing as you take a break9
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!10
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- This man’s face left Chinese internet users in amazement, agony and confusion 【Photos】3
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman4
- Creative pet “haircuts”: Funky or funny? You decide.5
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old to raise her to be his “ideal girl”6
- More than one way to skin a cat? Japanese YouTuber shows how to “open” a cat with belly rubs7
- Is Attack on Titan a documentary? Mikasa spotted in Russia!8
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】9
- 5 amazingly cute cosplayers who you’ll run into at anime conventions10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- 16 photos that show why Singapore has the world’s best airline6
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】7
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land8
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic9
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- What if Sailor Moon characters were lingerie models? They’d look stunning like this 【Photos】9
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】10
- No peripheral vision – Japan’s gamers sound off on hardware add-on nightmares
- Dreamed of living in a “Phil Collins” mansion? Come to Japan and you can!
- Korean drama advances slap technology with ancient Korean recipe
- Five amazing Japanese Starbucks locations that let you keep sightseeing as you take a break
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea
- This awful woman stealing a little kid’s foul ball will ruin your day
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old to raise her to be his “ideal girl”
- Summer in China means crazy-crowded pools, which somehow mean fun for some easy-going swimmers
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- Chinese bus gets lined with artificial turf for World Cup, may never go back
- Hanahana are some of the most elegant and expensive sparklers ever made
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman
- Chinese mall’s large pink parking spaces for women seen as sexist by some, wonderful by others