A popular udon noodle shop in Japan, “Hanamaru Udon,” is offering a 50 yen discount for each “live child” that customers bring to their stores starting on October 7. With talks of Tokyo hiking the consumption tax, parents can rest easier knowing their kids can be exchanged for delicious udon.
Although it’s often overshadowed by ramen and soba, udon is the final member of the triumvirate of Japanese noodles. With a spongy, absorbent texture, it allows diners to really enjoy the flavor of the broth or dipping sauce it’s served with. This airier structure also means you might need a larger serving to get as full as you would from a meal of ramen or soba, however.
With this in mind, and very little in his stomach, our reporter Mr. Sato headed to a branch of popular udon chain Marugame Seimen, where he fearlessly ordered the largest bowl of udon on the menu, the Family Udon.
The choices we make in life define who we are. Your friends may not admit it, but when you choose mint chocolate chip ice-cream (and bravo by the way), they’re scribbling a couple of lines about you in their mental scrapbook. When you leave your iPod on your workmate’s car, they’re either nodding along or guffawing as they cycle through your albums before bothering to call and tell you they’ve found it. As a wise man once said, “books, records, films; these things matter.” And noodles, my Asia-loving friends, are no exception. Do you like ramen or udon? Udon or soba? When you take a trip to soba town, to you eat them steaming hot or cold and dunked in mentsuyu dipping oil? If you could only eat one kind of noodle for the rest of your life, which would it be?
The dish in the photo above looks like a dessert, something sweet to eat after a meal. But wait! It is the meal! It’s udon noodles in curry sauce and topped with whipped cream, to be exact, and it is absolutely delicious!
According to our trusty reporter Mr. Sato (Food Queen Sato, as he calls himself on Twitter), that is, who went to the noodle shop Shodai in Ebisu, Tokyo to taste this revolutionary spin on curry udon.
Curry udon is a standard noodle dish that can be found at just about any udon shop in Japan. It mixes the flavor of udon and curried rice by ladling curry sauce over a bowl of udon noodles. Simple, yet effective.
Throwing whipped cream into the mix doesn’t sound like it would end well. Usually these kind of things don’t. But what did Mr. Sato think about this unlikely combination?
Check his full report below! Read More
As fall turns into winter, Japanese people look to food such as hot noodle dishes as a tasty way to warm up. Udon noodles, in particular, are great during the winter, and nothing beats slurping up a steaming bowl of udon on a cold day.
We discovered a unique way to eat hot udon noodles at Mentouan, a noodle shop in Nara. When you order a bowl of udon at Mentouan, you are presented with what appears to be a small pouch floating in broth…but you can’t see the noodles!
Udon is one of Japan’s most well-loved noodles dishes, ranking in line with soba and ramen. Everyone has an opinion over which is the tastiest, but those who like a bit of girth in their noodles will probably go for udon, which are traditionally rolled thicker than other Japanese noodles.
If you really want something to chew on, Tawaraya, an established noodle house in Kyoto, makes udon noodles so thick that only one fits inside the bowl.
Our resident foodie, Kuzo, recently took a train out to the ancient capital to try Tawaraya’s udon for himself. Check out his report below!
- An Illustrated Guide to the Implications of not Washing Your Hands After Using the Restroom1
- How to date an idol: A guide to the highly improbable2
- “Damn it human, help me!” One cat’s epic battle with an empty plastic bag3
- 46 Things That Surprise Foreigners in Japan4
- Pet owner builds tiny ninja house for hamster, escape panels and hidden doors galore5
- The official kanji of 2013 has been chosen!6
- Elitism divides otaku culture as the popularity of Japanese pop idols expands7
- Hey guys, unlucky with women? There’s always Latvia!8
- The Top 25 Things In Japan Most Likely To Blow Foreigner’s Minds9
- A Simple Approach to Understanding Women: a Japanese Guide10
- “Wait, you’re a dude? Meh, marry me anyway.” New male princess stealing hearts in China1
- An Illustrated Guide to the Implications of not Washing Your Hands After Using the Restroom2
- Beautiful Chinese boy “traps” the hearts of Korean netizens 【Photos】3
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea4
- Nine unusual products from Japanese designer, Oki Sato5
- 10 incredible tiny houses in Japan: a photo tour6
- Woman with alone time on an elevator does something incredibly unexpected7
- The last photo of faithful dog Hachiko breaks our hearts8
- Girl runs away from home to stop her parents from buying a Japanese car9
- Cute credit cards could send you to the slammer10
- What the hell is this monster?? 【Updated】1
- 45 adorable pictures of animals acting human 【Photos】2
- Chinese designer depicts Eastern vs. Western human behaviors in clever pictographs3
- When Two Amazing Worlds Collide: Welcome to the World of Cat Sushi!4
- Before and After: 31 Startling Images of Plastic Surgery in Korea 【Photo Album】5
- “Wait, you’re a dude? Meh, marry me anyway.” New male princess stealing hearts in China6
- Beautiful Chinese boy “traps” the hearts of Korean netizens 【Photos】7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong9
- Nine unusual products from Japanese designer, Oki Sato10
- Before and After: 31 Startling Images of Plastic Surgery in Korea 【Photo Album】1
- 252 of Japan’s favorite animated gifs2
- What the hell is this monster?? 【Updated】3
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong4
- Chinese designer depicts Eastern vs. Western human behaviors in clever pictographs5
- Thinking about plastic surgery? This ad may make you laugh – or it could make you think twice!6
- Meet the new model set to make manga artists’ lives a whole lot easier7
- 10 things Japan gets awesomely right8
- When Two Amazing Worlds Collide: Welcome to the World of Cat Sushi!9
- 45 adorable pictures of animals acting human 【Photos】10
- The official kanji of 2013 has been chosen!
- Elitism divides otaku culture as the popularity of Japanese pop idols expands
- Hey guys, unlucky with women? There’s always Latvia!
- The Top 25 Things In Japan Most Likely To Blow Foreigner’s Minds
- A Simple Approach to Understanding Women: a Japanese Guide
- The top 10 Japanese restaurants outside of Japan
- Flash mob performing Totoro theme song will melt your heart, make you want to join in
- New manga magazine for virgins guarantees your continued virginity
- Cakes disguised as Chinese food for under-the-radar sweet sneaking or just confusing your brain
- Cheerleaders! Maids! Japanese lingerie maker has you (slightly) covered for themed intimate apparel
- 10 things Japan gets awesomely right
- Toilet Theme Park Opened In Korea, There is a Rational Explanation for This
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong