The recent tragedy of Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 has capture the attention and sympathy of people across the world, leaving many wondering how such a horrible accident could have occurred. While fingers are being pointed and world leaders are looking for someone to blame, many in Japan are also wondering why a flight from Amsterdam to Malaysia was going through Ukrainian airspace in the first place.
- Casey Baseel
Mar 19, 2014
So there seems to be just a teeny bit of political turmoil in Eastern Europe these days, what with almost every voter in formerly-Soviet Crimea saying they’re happy to cut ties with Ukraine and have the region annexed by Russia. It’s a thorny opening act for the newly-appointed Crimean attorney general, but Natalia Poklonskaya can at least count on the moral support of thousands of Japanese men. Not because they necessarily agree with her political views, though, but because the 33-year-old Poklonskaya looks more like she came from Central Casting than the judicial branch of government.
Of course, where there’s love-struck Japanese men pondering the ideal forms of female beauty, anime artwork can’t be far behind, and there’s a growing batch of Poklonskaya fan art making the rounds on the Internet.
Japanese netizens put reality on hold for a moment, fall in love with new attorney general of Crimea
- Preston Phro
Mar 16, 2014
As the situation in Ukraine goes from unstable to about to completely fly off the rails, Japanese Interent users couldn’t help noticing something about the new attorney general appointed in Crimea. While the 33-year-old Natalia Poklonskaya is, without a doubt, holding one of the most difficult jobs in the world right now, netizens in Japan quickly took to the forums to praise for being…so beautiful?
Check out the powerful woman whose captured 2Channel users’ hearts, and some of their comments, below!
Feb 16, 2014
Do you like French bread? We certainly do! Crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, they’re great for making sandwiches or tasty canapé-type appetizers like bruschettas. But have you ever felt that the long distinctive shape of French bread sometimes makes it hard to carry around? Well, if you have, we’ve found the perfect item to solve that problem. It’s a bag made specifically for French bread, and it’s called the Baguette Bag!
When we saw a picture of this unique bag, we knew we just had to have one, but after we did a bit of searching, we found out that the bag was a product of Ukraine. Hmm… was it really wise trying to purchase an item from a country that was so far away and the language was completely foreign? We’ll just have to try and find out, won’t we?
Nataliya News is a column brought to you by our Ukrainian correspondent Nataliya, who currently lives there and writes her reports for our sister site RocketNews24 Japan in her charming Japanese. This week, she airs the feelings of her fellow Ukrainian women about dating or being married to Japanese guys, which of course we’ve translated into English for you! Check it out after the jump.
- Preston Phro
Nov 18, 2013
We’re not sure what’s happening in Ukraine, but it might be time to call Scully and Mulder: It seems like all the women are turning into dolls!
As the group of real-life dolls grows from a few ladies on YouTube into something resembling an international movement, the seventh “real doll” out of Odessa, Ukraine has appeared! Named Alina Kovaleskaya, the 20-year-old woman is as convincing and startling as any who’ve come before, though she insists there’s a key difference.
Whenever foods specific to a certain culture make appearances in foreign restaurants, something almost always gets altered along the way. For example, I’ve been living in Japan for years, and yet I still shake my head whenever I see an “American-style” pizza topped with eggplant, potato and mayonnaise. It’d be one thing if everyday consumers realized that the “Western” food they eat is actually unique to Japan, but as far as they are concerned, all of us Americans put taters and mayo on our pizzas!
But of course, Japan is in no way the only country to confuse traditional ingredients for those suited to their local tastes. Recently, one of our RocketNews24 correspondents, Natasha from Ukraine, wrote up a fine report on the sad state of sushi in her country. Here’s the gist of what she had to say.
Ukraine is known for being home to some of the most beautiful women in the world, and also these two.
It seems the gene pool is so refined in Ukraine that even their soldiers and gorgeous, and the military must know it because every year they hold the “Miss Trooper” contest, a beauty pageant to determine the most stunning soldier female soldier in the Ukraine army.
- Karen Bremer Masuda
Dec 11, 2012
Did you think coffins were only for the dead, haunted house managers, and vampires? Well apparently not! Climbing into a coffin for a few minutes is supposedly therapeutic, too! An artificial near-death experience is allegedly good for the soul, a great stress reliever and growing in popularity in China.
Karapaia Livedoor.biz, a Japanese news blog that reports oddities and adventures from around the world, decided to take a look at this special psychological therapy which is taking off in Shenyang China. Read More
Beautiful 16-Year-Old Ukrainian Girl with Disproportionately Long Neck Teaches Internet About Marfan Syndrome
Oct 3, 2012
The girl to the far right in the photo above is Lyudmila Titchenkova, a 16-year-old living in the city of Nikolaev, Ukraine.
After she turned 10, Lyudmila’s parents noticed that their daughter’s body began developing at an accelerated growth rate. She was taller and had longer arms than other children her age, but of particular concern was the length of her neck and abnormal curvature of her spine.
As it got to the point where Lyudmila began feeling embarrassed to go out because of her appearance, her parents took her to the hospital, where she was diagnosed with Marfan Syndrome, a rare genetic disorder of the connective tissue that can affect many parts of the body, most often the heart, blood vessels, bones, joints and eyes.
Ukraine, known in Japan for its attractive people, is rapidly becoming a place of interest. International marriages between Ukrainians and Japanese are on the rise, making Ukraine all the more fascinating. Japan brings forth images of sushi, hot springs, Mt. Fuji, Tempura, and its service industry. But what about Ukraine? Here are some appealing images of Ukraine, sure to make you want to visit! Read More
- Europe, Japan
- (attractive • Beautiful Girls • bee hives • black fertile soil • borscht • byzantine architecture • cabbage • Chernobyl • Cossacks • eastern Europe • fresh vegetables • Fukushima • honey • hospitable people • mead • positive thoughts • prayers • romantic tunnel • solar energy • statue of cranes • Ukraine)
On April 26 1986 several explosions caused a fire at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant in Ukraine that sent a radioactive plume across large parts of the Soviet Union and Western Europe. It became the first level 7 nuclear disaster until the Fukushima Daiichi disaster in 2011 and remains the worst nuclear accident in history.
Today, over a quarter-century since the disaster, workers continue to tread through the 30-km exclusion zone in hazmat suits every day to construct a new concrete shield around the deteriorating sarcophagus built in 1986 that holds the still-radioactive core.
There’s no question that a wasteland commute followed by a day spent laboring in a bulky suit and ventilation mask doesn’t make for ideal working conditions. However, there is one saving grace for the brave workers at Chernobyl: delicious meals at the employee cafeteria.
Our globetrotting correspondent Kuzo recently visited Ukraine, where he had the opportunity to dine at the Chernobyl cafeteria. Kuzo writes: “The meals at the cafeteria are all authentic Ukrainian cuisine. Even the Ukrainian woman I was traveling with told me with confidence that the food there is great.”
Want to know what’s on the menu? Check his report below!
- Looking for a unique job environment? This could be as unique (and isolated) as it gets in Japan!1
- Five amazing Japanese Starbucks locations that let you keep sightseeing as you take a break2
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker3
- This awful woman stealing a little kid’s foul ball will ruin your day4
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!5
- Cats transform into bears, bats, and more, impress and enchant Japanese Internet users6
- No peripheral vision – Japan’s gamers sound off on hardware add-on nightmares7
- Touching Final Fantasy X cover on the violin takes you “To Zanarkand”【Video】8
- Chinese mall’s large pink parking spaces for women seen as sexist by some, wonderful by others9
- Pikachu’s dramatic decline in popularity captured in photos10
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- This man’s face left Chinese internet users in amazement, agony and confusion 【Photos】3
- Creative pet “haircuts”: Funky or funny? You decide.4
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman5
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old to raise her to be his “ideal girl”6
- More than one way to skin a cat? Japanese YouTuber shows how to “open” a cat with belly rubs7
- Is Attack on Titan a documentary? Mikasa spotted in Russia!8
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】9
- 5 amazingly cute cosplayers who you’ll run into at anime conventions10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- 16 photos that show why Singapore has the world’s best airline6
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】7
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land8
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic9
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- What if Sailor Moon characters were lingerie models? They’d look stunning like this 【Photos】9
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】10
- Cats transform into bears, bats, and more, impress and enchant Japanese Internet users
- No peripheral vision – Japan’s gamers sound off on hardware add-on nightmares
- Touching Final Fantasy X cover on the violin takes you “To Zanarkand”【Video】
- Chinese mall’s large pink parking spaces for women seen as sexist by some, wonderful by others
- Pikachu’s dramatic decline in popularity captured in photos
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old to raise her to be his “ideal girl”
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!
- Pikachu, we eat you! – A visit to Tokyo’s Pokémon restaurant
- Inconsiderate commuter behavior in Korea – A photo guide
- Summer in China means crazy-crowded pools, which somehow mean fun for some easy-going swimmers
- Dreamed of living in a “Phil Collins” mansion? Come to Japan and you can!
- Beautiful 400-year-old garden in Okayama about to be replaced with condominium complex
- Is Attack on Titan a documentary? Mikasa spotted in Russia!