We’ve all heard the stereotype that western guys who come to Japan find themselves suddenly showered with beautiful ladies, while Asian guys who head to the west get squat. Regardless of the fact that this kind of generalization is SUPER mean and based upon some pretty sketchy and biased thinking, it does seem to be the most prevailing opinion (in spite of the many cases where it’s blatantly not true.) When we heard about this regular Chinese dude who bagged himself a super hot wife after deciding to study abroad in Ukraine, we thought it made for an adorable story about a successful international marriage. Unfortunately, it seems that Chinese netizens were less charmed, with plenty taking to their keyboards to register their surprise, envy, and skepticism.
Aug 7, 2014
To be honest, we’ve lost count of the number of real-life Barbies this website has seen, and the fact that we can barely tell them apart under all that makeup doesn’t make things any easier. Well, that probably goes to imply that they’ve done a great job at achieving their motives of looking like a mass-produced plastic doll.
Long hair, dainty pointy noses, big eyes, full lips, exaggerated body proportions and porcelain-like skin are a couple of things that these girls have in common, which often brings netizens to the conclusion that they’re “fake” or “plastic”. However, one of these living Barbies, Alina Kovalevskaya from Ukraine, has been claiming that she’s all-natural, and to prove that, she has posted childhood photos of herself online. Could she be the real deal? We’ve got the photos for your scrutiny after the break!
The recent tragedy of Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 has capture the attention and sympathy of people across the world, leaving many wondering how such a horrible accident could have occurred. While fingers are being pointed and world leaders are looking for someone to blame, many in Japan are also wondering why a flight from Amsterdam to Malaysia was going through Ukrainian airspace in the first place.
Mar 19, 2014
So there seems to be just a teeny bit of political turmoil in Eastern Europe these days, what with almost every voter in formerly-Soviet Crimea saying they’re happy to cut ties with Ukraine and have the region annexed by Russia. It’s a thorny opening act for the newly-appointed Crimean attorney general, but Natalia Poklonskaya can at least count on the moral support of thousands of Japanese men. Not because they necessarily agree with her political views, though, but because the 33-year-old Poklonskaya looks more like she came from Central Casting than the judicial branch of government.
Of course, where there’s love-struck Japanese men pondering the ideal forms of female beauty, anime artwork can’t be far behind, and there’s a growing batch of Poklonskaya fan art making the rounds on the Internet.
Japanese netizens put reality on hold for a moment, fall in love with new attorney general of Crimea
Mar 16, 2014
As the situation in Ukraine goes from unstable to about to completely fly off the rails, Japanese Interent users couldn’t help noticing something about the new attorney general appointed in Crimea. While the 33-year-old Natalia Poklonskaya is, without a doubt, holding one of the most difficult jobs in the world right now, netizens in Japan quickly took to the forums to praise for being…so beautiful?
Check out the powerful woman whose captured 2Channel users’ hearts, and some of their comments, below!
Feb 16, 2014
Do you like French bread? We certainly do! Crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, they’re great for making sandwiches or tasty canapé-type appetizers like bruschettas. But have you ever felt that the long distinctive shape of French bread sometimes makes it hard to carry around? Well, if you have, we’ve found the perfect item to solve that problem. It’s a bag made specifically for French bread, and it’s called the Baguette Bag!
When we saw a picture of this unique bag, we knew we just had to have one, but after we did a bit of searching, we found out that the bag was a product of Ukraine. Hmm… was it really wise trying to purchase an item from a country that was so far away and the language was completely foreign? We’ll just have to try and find out, won’t we?
Nataliya News is a column brought to you by our Ukrainian correspondent Nataliya, who currently lives there and writes her reports for our sister site RocketNews24 Japan in her charming Japanese. This week, she airs the feelings of her fellow Ukrainian women about dating or being married to Japanese guys, which of course we’ve translated into English for you! Check it out after the jump.
Nov 18, 2013
We’re not sure what’s happening in Ukraine, but it might be time to call Scully and Mulder: It seems like all the women are turning into dolls!
As the group of real-life dolls grows from a few ladies on YouTube into something resembling an international movement, the seventh “real doll” out of Odessa, Ukraine has appeared! Named Alina Kovaleskaya, the 20-year-old woman is as convincing and startling as any who’ve come before, though she insists there’s a key difference.
Whenever foods specific to a certain culture make appearances in foreign restaurants, something almost always gets altered along the way. For example, I’ve been living in Japan for years, and yet I still shake my head whenever I see an “American-style” pizza topped with eggplant, potato and mayonnaise. It’d be one thing if everyday consumers realized that the “Western” food they eat is actually unique to Japan, but as far as they are concerned, all of us Americans put taters and mayo on our pizzas!
But of course, Japan is in no way the only country to confuse traditional ingredients for those suited to their local tastes. Recently, one of our RocketNews24 correspondents, Natasha from Ukraine, wrote up a fine report on the sad state of sushi in her country. Here’s the gist of what she had to say.
Ukraine is known for being home to some of the most beautiful women in the world, and also these two.
It seems the gene pool is so refined in Ukraine that even their soldiers and gorgeous, and the military must know it because every year they hold the “Miss Trooper” contest, a beauty pageant to determine the most stunning soldier female soldier in the Ukraine army.
Karen Bremer Masuda
Dec 11, 2012
Did you think coffins were only for the dead, haunted house managers, and vampires? Well apparently not! Climbing into a coffin for a few minutes is supposedly therapeutic, too! An artificial near-death experience is allegedly good for the soul, a great stress reliever and growing in popularity in China.
Karapaia Livedoor.biz, a Japanese news blog that reports oddities and adventures from around the world, decided to take a look at this special psychological therapy which is taking off in Shenyang China. Read More
Beautiful 16-Year-Old Ukrainian Girl with Disproportionately Long Neck Teaches Internet About Marfan Syndrome
Oct 3, 2012
The girl to the far right in the photo above is Lyudmila Titchenkova, a 16-year-old living in the city of Nikolaev, Ukraine.
After she turned 10, Lyudmila’s parents noticed that their daughter’s body began developing at an accelerated growth rate. She was taller and had longer arms than other children her age, but of particular concern was the length of her neck and abnormal curvature of her spine.
As it got to the point where Lyudmila began feeling embarrassed to go out because of her appearance, her parents took her to the hospital, where she was diagnosed with Marfan Syndrome, a rare genetic disorder of the connective tissue that can affect many parts of the body, most often the heart, blood vessels, bones, joints and eyes.
Ukraine, known in Japan for its attractive people, is rapidly becoming a place of interest. International marriages between Ukrainians and Japanese are on the rise, making Ukraine all the more fascinating. Japan brings forth images of sushi, hot springs, Mt. Fuji, Tempura, and its service industry. But what about Ukraine? Here are some appealing images of Ukraine, sure to make you want to visit! Read More
- Europe, Japan
- (attractive • Beautiful Girls • bee hives • black fertile soil • borscht • byzantine architecture • cabbage • Chernobyl • Cossacks • eastern Europe • fresh vegetables • Fukushima • honey • hospitable people • mead • positive thoughts • prayers • romantic tunnel • solar energy • statue of cranes • Ukraine)
On April 26 1986 several explosions caused a fire at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant in Ukraine that sent a radioactive plume across large parts of the Soviet Union and Western Europe. It became the first level 7 nuclear disaster until the Fukushima Daiichi disaster in 2011 and remains the worst nuclear accident in history.
Today, over a quarter-century since the disaster, workers continue to tread through the 30-km exclusion zone in hazmat suits every day to construct a new concrete shield around the deteriorating sarcophagus built in 1986 that holds the still-radioactive core.
There’s no question that a wasteland commute followed by a day spent laboring in a bulky suit and ventilation mask doesn’t make for ideal working conditions. However, there is one saving grace for the brave workers at Chernobyl: delicious meals at the employee cafeteria.
Our globetrotting correspondent Kuzo recently visited Ukraine, where he had the opportunity to dine at the Chernobyl cafeteria. Kuzo writes: “The meals at the cafeteria are all authentic Ukrainian cuisine. Even the Ukrainian woman I was traveling with told me with confidence that the food there is great.”
Want to know what’s on the menu? Check his report below!
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”1
- How many do you know? 12 delicious foods in Japanese supermarkets and convenience stores2
- No more photo retouches! New makeup for cosplayers claims to create photo-perfect skin3
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time4
- Japanese granny attempts to trash treasure trove of old photographs, is thwarted by grandkids5
- Unreal “animation dancer” makes Japanese salarymen breakdance with the power of magic sunglasses6
- Cross-dressing Cosplay Idol Group a Huge Hit in China7
- Evangelion couple rings let you tell your sweetheart you love him or her like Shinji loves Kaworu8
- Japanese village converted into gorgeous open-air museum makes an easy day-trip escape from Tokyo9
- “Wait, you’re a dude? Meh, marry me anyway.” New male princess stealing hearts in China10
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”1
- Edo era Samurai were pretty gay2
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time3
- Netizens hatch adorable baby birds from supermarket eggs, provide evidence4
- Attack on Titan’s Universal Studios Japan attraction opens5
- New plus-sized idol group hopes to broaden the image of beauty in Japan 【Video】6
- Disney Store is all grown up with new branch designed for adult women opening in Tokyo7
- Secret backmasked message found hidden in Dragon Ball Z ending song8
- No more photo retouches! New makeup for cosplayers claims to create photo-perfect skin9
- Cross-dressing Cosplay Idol Group a Huge Hit in China10
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing1
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”2
- Cosplay ideals vs. cosplay reality, a.k.a. cool vs. funny 【Photos】3
- Internet ready to shut up and take your money as preorders finally start for Cat Ear Headphones4
- Edo era Samurai were pretty gay5
- Ugly-cute makeup genius feeds off negative troll comments on Twitter6
- “Malaysian girl holding things” is our new favourite Instagram account 【Photos】7
- Teacher draws over students’ doodles to make red pen masterpieces8
- Photos of people lining up outside of the Sapporo Apple Store make us feel positively frozen9
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood3
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin4
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours5
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】6
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school7
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing8
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”9
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises10
- Unreal “animation dancer” makes Japanese salarymen breakdance with the power of magic sunglasses
- Cross-dressing Cosplay Idol Group a Huge Hit in China
- Evangelion couple rings let you tell your sweetheart you love him or her like Shinji loves Kaworu
- Japanese village converted into gorgeous open-air museum makes an easy day-trip escape from Tokyo
- “Wait, you’re a dude? Meh, marry me anyway.” New male princess stealing hearts in China
- We try beer with whipped cream on top…because we’re fancy
- Huge six-meter (19.7-foot) anime hug pillow will prove you’re a great big otaku 【Video】
- The Guan Yu Gundam: a story of passion and friendship
- Get ready for yuru-kyara car plates! Japan to lift ban on colourful regional license plates
- Team Japan’s goal keeper is awfully good at catching cats
- Tokyo University campus has its own sushi restaurant where great dining meets higher education
- The detail on these Japanese dollhouses is amazing!
- Mexican apparel company offers sweet Dragon Ball Z sneakers