Have you been wondering what Japan’s favorite mascot has been up to lately? Who, you say? Why, Funasshi, of course, Japan’s squiggly wiggly pear mascot from Funabashi City in Chiba! After rocketing to fame and winning Japan’s top mascot honors in 2013, Funasshi has been touring Japan and the world! Its latest trip was to report for Fuji TV’s “World’s Best Of Picture Show: Top Research“. Find out all the American locations a gyrating pear looks out of place in after the jump.
Deep beneath the placid blue waters of Qiandao Lake in China lurks a beautiful and haunting sight. You’d be forgiven for thinking the above photograph was a digital manipulation, and it’s true that sunken cities have often remained confined to myth, but this mysterious place really does exist. Read on for more stunning photographs of the hidden wonder.
You might claim that you’ve seen Santa fly through the air on Christmas Eve night, but have you ever seen Santa swim with the fishes? The Sunshine Aquarium in Tokyo hosts a special event during the month of December allowing patrons to witness the big man himself feed sharks, sunfish, and a turtle.
Jul 28, 2013
Aw yeah, knee-high socks. Does that get you wet?
Well, these are probably the wettest set of knee-high socks you’ll ever see. Some genius has combined two favourite fetishes in one… “knee-high socks” plus “women underwater”, making for some amazing shots that are very enjoyable even if you’re not particularly into either one. I wonder how this stroke of genius came about. Did someone accidentally fall into a pool while wearing knee socks and climb out shrieking “Eureka!!” Did they start the underwater shoot and then realize the models had terrible shaving rash which needed to be concealed somehow? Or did it come about through some other process of evolution? Wetsuit, wetsuit socks, wet socks… wet knee-high socks? Let’s not even mention how sexy it is to see someone sucking on a scuba diving mouthpiece.
“Underwater knee-high girls”, a collection of photos of women wearing socks underwater, is due to be published by Pot Shuppan on 29 August this year. The underwater photography was captured by Mika Ninagawa, who directed the manga-based movie Helter Skelter (2012), and film-maker, Manabu Koga.
Jan 16, 2013
If you’re of the sporty persuasion and wish that you could take your tunes to the pool without having a funny-looking contraption strapped to your goggles or having your earphones fall out every other stroke, Sony’s newest addition to the Walkman series will definitely be of interest.
Scheduled for a February 16 release in Japan, the new NWD-W270 series features a compact, lightweight design and boasts 4GB of onboard storage space. Plenty of delicious images and details after the break.
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!1
- Japanese mothers react to being called by their first names after years of just being “Mama”2
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】3
- Tokyo adding free Wi-Fi to 143 subway stations for foreign travelers4
- Does the way you cross your arms say anything about your personality? Japan thinks so5
- Zelda hero Link’s other blade, the Fierce Deity Sword, brought to life in awesome video6
- Anime-loving mum takes kyara-ben to a new level with these well-drawn anime bentos7
- Doting owner builds cosy kotatsu for cats, faces the sting of feline rejection【Photos】8
- Press as hard as you like, these new mechanical pencils just refuse to break9
- Yokohama restaurant serves fried axolotl, along with giant isopod, camel, and crocodile10
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours1
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer2
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute3
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters4
- Turn an ordinary balloon into a smartphone case in seconds with this neat trick5
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!6
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world7
- Does the way you cross your arms say anything about your personality? Japan thinks so8
- Can you spot the problem that led to the recall of this otherwise cute Japanese New Year’s card?9
- Live-action Attack on Titan posters show new characters and weapons, plus one huge absence10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises5
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit6
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make7
- One Piece manga sends off Naruto with a classy secret message8
- Clever Japanese pet owners find perfect cat beds…at IKEA! 【Photos】9
- Just a bunch of adorable cats riding on trains in Japan10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher3
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”4
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】5
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China6
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later7
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea10
- Zelda hero Link’s other blade, the Fierce Deity Sword, brought to life in awesome video
- Anime-loving mum takes kyara-ben to a new level with these well-drawn anime bentos
- Doting owner builds cosy kotatsu for cats, faces the sting of feline rejection【Photos】
- Press as hard as you like, these new mechanical pencils just refuse to break
- Yokohama restaurant serves fried axolotl, along with giant isopod, camel, and crocodile
- The newer, cheaper Kakureya II: The perfect secret fort/box for studying, drinking, or napping
- Shimotsuki Matsuri: The extraordinary winter festival that inspired Ghibli’s ‘Spirited Away’
- 3-D green tea latte art adds a splash of whimsy and color to your cup
- Creepy or cute? Feel the Panda Train’s intense gaze before sightseeing in resort town Shirahama
- Laser-cut, 360-degree “book” lets you bring Mt. Fuji into your home
- Japan is doing what people do best with fallen leaves: playing with them【Photos】
- Online survey reveals the types of guys elementary school girls DON’T want to date
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world