Toyama Bay (Toyama-wan, 富山湾), nestled between Toyama and Ishikawa Prefectures in the Hokuriku region of Japan, was formally inducted into the Most Beautiful Bays in the World Club on October 19. The bay is only the second place in Japan following Miyagi Prefecture’s Matsushima to be officially recognized by the global association. After doing some digging, we’ve discovered the incredible charms that the bay has to offer. Love mountains? Check. Love seafood? Double check. Keep reading after the jump to fall in love with Toyama Bay for yourself!
Sep 19, 2014
There are a few things people hope to find while hiking to the top of Mt. Fuji. Almost everyone looks forward to the breathtaking vistas. Others hope for the added bonus of comradery with their fellow hikers. Some may even expect to gain some insight into the Japanese spirit or national character by reaching the country’s highest peak.
But you know what no one goes to Mt. Fuji for an eyeful of? Feces. Unfortunately, visitors are becoming more and more likely to run across a pile of poo on the mountain, and that’s not only costing Mt. Fuji some of its cultural luster, it might also mean the end of its UNESCO World Heritage Site status.
John Stuart Translations
Aug 15, 2013
So, you’ve seen the stories about dirt cheap 1 yen land in Hokkaido but couldn’t be bothered to actually build something. Then you checked the aucion listing for the 1 yen house in Iwate, and upon seeing it quickly understood why it was 1 yen. Finally you looked into that medieval Japanese town replica complete with castle but found it outside of your budget.
Is there any deal out there that balances the stunning beauty and history of Japan with a reasonable price? Ainokura district says yes. They are offering one of their famous traditional houses for only 10,000 yen (US$128) a month! There’s just one catch, it’s haaauuunted…
…by the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).
Karen Bremer Masuda
Sep 14, 2012
Indonesia’s Bali Island is full of beautiful temples like the Luhar Batukaru Temple. This temple, strategically located on the southern slope of Bali’s second-highest volcano, protects Bali from evil spirits.
The area surrounding this temple and three other sites in Bali were only recently added to UNESCO’s list of World Heritage Sites. On June 24th, at the World Heritage Committee’s meeting, held this year in St. Petersburg, Russia, these sites became a part of the expanding World Heritage Site list.
Now Bali has four World Heritage Sites! What sort of place gets to be a Heritage Site? In order to give you an idea, we headed straight away to Bali to show you these recent additions of officially recognized treasures in our world. Read More
- Truck driver hailed as “hero” for cutting off car on wet highway1
- Ready to tie the anime knot? Company offers marriage certificate for you and your 2D waifu2
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea3
- Don’t believe in the magic of the 100 yen store? This product will seal the deal!4
- Sharp’s awesome new display tech licensed to Nintendo… who may not even use it for games5
- Toilet slides and turd hats: welcome to Tokyo’s crappiest exhibition6
- Pokémon fans’ heads exploding over guy’s classic Game Boy makeover video7
- Too busy to wrap Christmas presents? Not if you’ve got 12 seconds, Japanese store shows【Video】8
- 10 slightly strange Christmas trees from Japan9
- Latest evolution of Pokémon cafe to open in Shibuya this January10
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】1
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood2
- Ready to tie the anime knot? Company offers marriage certificate for you and your 2D waifu3
- Life imitates (Sword) Art (Online) as Japanese gamers find they can’t log out of online RPG4
- Character images of new Digimon Adventure series released, expected to air in spring 20155
- Artist magically transforms Sailor Moon characters into black women6
- Too busy to wrap Christmas presents? Not if you’ve got 12 seconds, Japanese store shows【Video】7
- Japan’s cutest rodent commuters take the high-road【Video】8
- Our hero Ladybeard shows us and the world how to properly wear the much-talked about boob shirt9
- How humanity ends: Virtual reality headset hooked up to Tenga love cup for men 【Video】10
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood1
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin2
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】3
- How to say “I love you” in Japanese – 47 different ways 【Videos】4
- Japanese man proposes to girlfriend with Guinness World Record-winning GPS drawing5
- Historic Kyoto temple first in Japan to offer gay weddings6
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!7
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】8
- Hayao Miyazaki comments on Chihiro’s final test scene in Spirited Away9
- Fashion gone wrong? Boob shirts take Twitter by storm10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】3
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China4
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood5
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin6
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked7
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours8
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】9
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school10
- Toilet slides and turd hats: welcome to Tokyo’s crappiest exhibition
- Pokémon fans’ heads exploding over guy’s classic Game Boy makeover video
- Too busy to wrap Christmas presents? Not if you’ve got 12 seconds, Japanese store shows【Video】
- 10 slightly strange Christmas trees from Japan
- Latest evolution of Pokémon cafe to open in Shibuya this January
- Japanese makeup artist does classic Hollywood glamour, recreates Audrey Hepburn’s coveted look
- Self-healing glasses on sale next year
- Flipping the kanji for “husband” upside-down reveals slightly worrying double meaning
- Why making kids cry on camera never gets old
- Can’t cope with the feeding frenzy at meal times? Why not stack your cats!
- Unhinged Japanese boyband fan stalks “rival” on Twitter, demands they delete their account
- 11 never-ending hypnotic GIFs that just made a portion of our weekend disappear mysteriously
- Sick of BABYMETAL? How about some sumo metal!