Homeroom, that fateful time of day before real classes start where the teacher calls roll to see which kids successfully rolled out of bed that morning. Some countries don’t have an official “homeroom”. They just call your name and classes begin. But in Japan, homeroom is a whole different beast. And the surprise of one Twitter user at how homeroom is conducted in Saitama Prefecture versus the rest of the country makes for a good laugh, especially because of the comments from other people around Japan.
Japan is littered with museums–there are museums for swords, tea ceremony, and even parasites. Now, we love museums as much as anyone with a healthy sense of curiosity, but sometimes it can get a bit overwhelming. Like those parasites–do they really need their own museum??
But there is one museum that we can’t imagine getting bored of: The Abashiri Prison Museum!
If you’re like me, cooking is less an art form and more a begrudging chore that you participate in purely out the need not to starve. Which is my clever way of saying that I am the exact opposite of “good at cooking.” But let’s be honest, normally it isn’t a big deal–that’s what 7-11 is for! But maybe you have a special someone coming over and you’d like to impress him or her with your hospitality. You might be tempted to order take-out, but nothing’s quite as impressive as a home-cooked meal, right?
So what’s a kitchen dunce to do? Just keep ‘em dazzled and distracted with these unique and arty plates!
Every city has its bad parts and areas to avoid, but there’s no denying that these less favorable areas give even the poshest urban centers something to talk about. While Kowloon Walled City no longer exists, its fixture in popular imagination will likely persist for decades, if not centuries.
In 1987, the city housed 33,000 people in 6.5 acres and was largely lawless, though informal social structures naturally emerged among the citizens. The city, as you might expect, has been the inspiration and setting for many fictional works, from books to movies to video games. And, now, it’s provided inspiration for a unique business venture in Japan.
- Philip Kendall
Jan 16, 2013
During these chilly winter months, there’s nothing quite like taking a dip in a natural hot spring and feeling your aching muscles soften like a pan of chocolate on a warm log cabin stove. But if you’ve seen every onsen (hot spring) that Japan has to offer or are simply wishing to avoid the crowds of like-minded visitors, locating a new place to bathe isn’t easy. Thankfully, help is at hand.
In an article over at Yahoo! Japan’s R25 digital magazine, a member of the Nihon Onsen Kyoukai (Japan Hot Spring Association) lets readers in on three little-known, not to mention rather unusual, hot spring locations that are sure to leave you with plenty of tales to tell family and friends. All the juicy info after the break.
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China1
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea2
- New tax exemption system for foreign visitors to Japan starts today!3
- Shonen Jump surprises readers with literal booby traps in new online manga service4
- We try Riedel’s glass which unleashes the true flavor potential of Coca Cola5
- 27-year-old in Japan arrested for 3-D printed pistol, says he didn’t know it was illegal6
- Maruyama Zoo tries to mate two spotted hyenas for four years, recently learns both are males7
- Expat’s video “Our Japan” beautifully captures why we love it here8
- The awesome Soccer Samurai is back, and this time he’s fighting ninjas in Manchester 【Video】9
- To handwrite, or not to handwrite? Recruiter lays into ‘laziness’ of young Japanese job hunters10
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea1
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China2
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls3
- We troll a scammer online, make him wish he’d never tried to take our money4
- Japanese women reveal their methods of raising a guy’s bedroom technique5
- Japanese illustrated cookbook teaches you how to cook “mother and daughter”【Photos】6
- The ugly truth of goukon, Japan’s group blind dates7
- Chinese cadet is beautiful enough to make you want to join the army8
- New tax exemption system for foreign visitors to Japan starts today!9
- Teen job hunter learns: Do not screw around at an interview with McDonald’s Japan10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea3
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady4
- Lifehack: Transform a Starbucks paper bag into a fully functional wallet!5
- Scholars confirm first discovery of Japanese sword from master bladesmith Masamune in 150 years6
- Japanese actor’s unfortunate choice of t-shirt has net users amused, doubting his English ability7
- You’re in for a big surprise if you fall for this bikini wearing DJ’s sexy poster!【Photos】8
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China9
- Chibatman called in by police, receives their official approval10
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】1
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star2
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!3
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls4
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later5
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons6
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady9
- The clever way Japanese drivers thank each other without saying a word【Video】10
- 27-year-old in Japan arrested for 3-D printed pistol, says he didn’t know it was illegal
- Maruyama Zoo tries to mate two spotted hyenas for four years, recently learns both are males
- Expat’s video “Our Japan” beautifully captures why we love it here
- The awesome Soccer Samurai is back, and this time he’s fighting ninjas in Manchester 【Video】
- To handwrite, or not to handwrite? Recruiter lays into ‘laziness’ of young Japanese job hunters
- Strawberry and beef? We try Lotteria’s new Tochigi Wagyu Steak Hamburger with Strawberry Sauce
- Soup not soap: Japanese public bathhouses surviving by converting into retro-chic cafés
- OUCH! Here’s why you should never kiss a snapping turtle, in case you didn’t know already【Photos】
- 【TBT】The avant-garde art of book stacking in stores of Japan
- We troll a scammer online, make him wish he’d never tried to take our money
- Of course Japan wants you to use the Oculus Rift to look up girls’ skirts
- 100 things to do in Japan in 100 seconds 【Video】
- Head-mounted lie detectors: The cool new way to ruin your office Christmas party in Japan
- Teen job hunter learns: Do not screw around at an interview with McDonald’s Japan