Homeroom, that fateful time of day before real classes start where the teacher calls roll to see which kids successfully rolled out of bed that morning. Some countries don’t have an official “homeroom”. They just call your name and classes begin. But in Japan, homeroom is a whole different beast. And the surprise of one Twitter user at how homeroom is conducted in Saitama Prefecture versus the rest of the country makes for a good laugh, especially because of the comments from other people around Japan.
Japan is littered with museums–there are museums for swords, tea ceremony, and even parasites. Now, we love museums as much as anyone with a healthy sense of curiosity, but sometimes it can get a bit overwhelming. Like those parasites–do they really need their own museum??
But there is one museum that we can’t imagine getting bored of: The Abashiri Prison Museum!
If you’re like me, cooking is less an art form and more a begrudging chore that you participate in purely out the need not to starve. Which is my clever way of saying that I am the exact opposite of “good at cooking.” But let’s be honest, normally it isn’t a big deal–that’s what 7-11 is for! But maybe you have a special someone coming over and you’d like to impress him or her with your hospitality. You might be tempted to order take-out, but nothing’s quite as impressive as a home-cooked meal, right?
So what’s a kitchen dunce to do? Just keep ‘em dazzled and distracted with these unique and arty plates!
Every city has its bad parts and areas to avoid, but there’s no denying that these less favorable areas give even the poshest urban centers something to talk about. While Kowloon Walled City no longer exists, its fixture in popular imagination will likely persist for decades, if not centuries.
In 1987, the city housed 33,000 people in 6.5 acres and was largely lawless, though informal social structures naturally emerged among the citizens. The city, as you might expect, has been the inspiration and setting for many fictional works, from books to movies to video games. And, now, it’s provided inspiration for a unique business venture in Japan.
- Philip Kendall
Jan 16, 2013
During these chilly winter months, there’s nothing quite like taking a dip in a natural hot spring and feeling your aching muscles soften like a pan of chocolate on a warm log cabin stove. But if you’ve seen every onsen (hot spring) that Japan has to offer or are simply wishing to avoid the crowds of like-minded visitors, locating a new place to bathe isn’t easy. Thankfully, help is at hand.
In an article over at Yahoo! Japan’s R25 digital magazine, a member of the Nihon Onsen Kyoukai (Japan Hot Spring Association) lets readers in on three little-known, not to mention rather unusual, hot spring locations that are sure to leave you with plenty of tales to tell family and friends. All the juicy info after the break.
- We still don’t feel bad for you, Emperor: Photos of actors and their historical counterparts1
- Worst date ever! Japan’s ladies reveal the top five date ideas to avoid2
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked3
- Small-you-can-eat: Japanese netizens are not happy with Denny’s new endless pancakes offer4
- Video of guy giving pandas medicine is insanely cute, unless you’re the guy5
- 35 fascinating photos of Korea from 100 years ago (before K-dramas took over Asia)6
- “Don’t play for more than an hour a day”: Japanese video game master gives great advice7
- The Simpsons Halloween episode pays tribute to popular anime8
- Japanese constipation survey reveals the most and least poop-frustrated prefectures9
- Robot rebellion begins with a cranky Roomba, Internet users too busy laughing to fight back10
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked1
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls2
- Clever font sneaks pronunciation guide for English speakers into Japanese katakana characters3
- Awesome Air Umbrella from China keeps you dry with blasts of air4
- Why does Engrish happen in Japan?5
- The 10 best anime of the fall season, according to Japanese otaku6
- Somebody turned a Disney Channel cartoon into an anime and it’s pretty awesome7
- Beautiful old footage shows “God of Judo” Kyuzo Mifune gracefully defeat young challengers【Video】8
- Cat man from Kyushu walks nine cats in a stroller, draws crowds in Tokyo9
- We still don’t feel bad for you, Emperor: Photos of actors and their historical counterparts10
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】1
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China2
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked3
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea4
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls5
- Watch liquid turn into food at Japanese sample food factory 【Videos】6
- Japanese mothers react to being called by their first names after years of just being “Mama”7
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked8
- 10 things foreigners do that Japanese people find amusing9
- “Beautiful foreigner walking a polar bear” spotted at Shibuya’s famous crossing10
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】1
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star2
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls3
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】4
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China5
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later6
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady10
- 35 fascinating photos of Korea from 100 years ago (before K-dramas took over Asia)
- “Don’t play for more than an hour a day”: Japanese video game master gives great advice
- The Simpsons Halloween episode pays tribute to popular anime
- Japanese constipation survey reveals the most and least poop-frustrated prefectures
- Robot rebellion begins with a cranky Roomba, Internet users too busy laughing to fight back
- Poor little dog is driven into corner by owner’s terrifying new house guest
- Kirishima Geopark: Trekking through a bonsai forest in the clouds 【Photos】
- Sun + Magnifying glass = Art? One man’s unique “painting” style will blow your mind
- The 10 best anime of the fall season, according to Japanese otaku
- Election time or erection time? Taiwanese political ad features sexy bicyclist, and that’s about it
- Japanese island to become real-life Game of Life for the summer
- Raw, frozen eggs are the new food trend in Japan, apparently
- Ten things we learned at USJ: A muggle’s guide to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter