Homeroom, that fateful time of day before real classes start where the teacher calls roll to see which kids successfully rolled out of bed that morning. Some countries don’t have an official “homeroom”. They just call your name and classes begin. But in Japan, homeroom is a whole different beast. And the surprise of one Twitter user at how homeroom is conducted in Saitama Prefecture versus the rest of the country makes for a good laugh, especially because of the comments from other people around Japan.
Japan is littered with museums–there are museums for swords, tea ceremony, and even parasites. Now, we love museums as much as anyone with a healthy sense of curiosity, but sometimes it can get a bit overwhelming. Like those parasites–do they really need their own museum??
But there is one museum that we can’t imagine getting bored of: The Abashiri Prison Museum!
If you’re like me, cooking is less an art form and more a begrudging chore that you participate in purely out the need not to starve. Which is my clever way of saying that I am the exact opposite of “good at cooking.” But let’s be honest, normally it isn’t a big deal–that’s what 7-11 is for! But maybe you have a special someone coming over and you’d like to impress him or her with your hospitality. You might be tempted to order take-out, but nothing’s quite as impressive as a home-cooked meal, right?
So what’s a kitchen dunce to do? Just keep ‘em dazzled and distracted with these unique and arty plates!
Every city has its bad parts and areas to avoid, but there’s no denying that these less favorable areas give even the poshest urban centers something to talk about. While Kowloon Walled City no longer exists, its fixture in popular imagination will likely persist for decades, if not centuries.
In 1987, the city housed 33,000 people in 6.5 acres and was largely lawless, though informal social structures naturally emerged among the citizens. The city, as you might expect, has been the inspiration and setting for many fictional works, from books to movies to video games. And, now, it’s provided inspiration for a unique business venture in Japan.
Jan 16, 2013
During these chilly winter months, there’s nothing quite like taking a dip in a natural hot spring and feeling your aching muscles soften like a pan of chocolate on a warm log cabin stove. But if you’ve seen every onsen (hot spring) that Japan has to offer or are simply wishing to avoid the crowds of like-minded visitors, locating a new place to bathe isn’t easy. Thankfully, help is at hand.
In an article over at Yahoo! Japan’s R25 digital magazine, a member of the Nihon Onsen Kyoukai (Japan Hot Spring Association) lets readers in on three little-known, not to mention rather unusual, hot spring locations that are sure to leave you with plenty of tales to tell family and friends. All the juicy info after the break.
- “We Finns just like it simple”: Net users can’t get enough of Helsinki Metro map1
- Six anime songs people are sick of hearing at karaoke, according to new poll2
- Japanese girl finds “school love,” but with a surprising “partner”3
- How do deep-fried frog burgers taste? We find out at Yokohama cafe 【Taste test】4
- Satisfy all your slicing and dicing needs with this incredibly kawaii kitty kitchen knife5
- We love wagyu! We spend an evening learning about (and eating) Japanese beef6
- J-pop unit Perfume’s innovative projection mapping at US performance creates worldwide buzz7
- Tokyo chain puts french fries on soba noodles, proves dreams really can come true8
- Five simple ways to take your curry rice to the next level9
- Fan-made TIE Fighter short film: For people who love Star Wars, anime, or just plain awesomeness10
- Cats sitting politely outside Japanese convenience stores restore our faith in felines1
- Looking for a new favourite animal? Take your pick from these six adorable Hokkaido natives2
- Which do you like? Twitter asks if you prefer girls naughty on the inside or outside3
- “We Finns just like it simple”: Net users can’t get enough of Helsinki Metro map4
- Inspirations for April Fools’ pranks (you can thank us later)【Photos】5
- Teen whose Frozen chalkboard art went viral gets an art commission before a high school diploma6
- Thai celebrity posts video ranting about Chinese tourists turning orderly line into free-for-all7
- Buyer’s remorse? Not if you’ve got confidence like this girl8
- Japanese women list the top 10 lies they can spot the second a guy says them9
- Public reacts in horror as poster in Shinjuku Station threatens even more exits10
- Marine park offers chance to shake hands with a loveable otter1
- Anime pillow responds to your rubbing with moans and groans, gets angry if you get too grabby2
- Cats sitting politely outside Japanese convenience stores restore our faith in felines3
- What’s your type? Photo of two Japanese models spurs netizens to talk body type 【Poll】4
- Forget the dress, how many shades of blue do you see here?5
- Japanese netizens stare at red dot for 30 seconds, freak out when they see what happens6
- Half-Japanese beauty chosen to represent Japan at Miss Universe 20157
- Looking for a new favourite animal? Take your pick from these six adorable Hokkaido natives8
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin9
- Get a haircut, a manicure and an eyeful at this saucy salon in Vietnam10
- Marine park offers chance to shake hands with a loveable otter1
- Hachiko, Japan’s most loyal dog, finally reunited with owner in heartwarming new statue in Tokyo2
- Anime pillow responds to your rubbing with moans and groans, gets angry if you get too grabby3
- Literal breastplate will give you a cosplay-ready, anime-class bust in seconds 【Photos】4
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”5
- Cats sitting politely outside Japanese convenience stores restore our faith in felines6
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing7
- What’s your type? Photo of two Japanese models spurs netizens to talk body type 【Poll】8
- Cosplay ideals vs. cosplay reality, a.k.a. cool vs. funny 【Photos】9
- Internet ready to shut up and take your money as preorders finally start for Cat Ear Headphones10
- We love wagyu! We spend an evening learning about (and eating) Japanese beef
- J-pop unit Perfume’s innovative projection mapping at US performance creates worldwide buzz
- Tokyo chain puts french fries on soba noodles, proves dreams really can come true
- Five simple ways to take your curry rice to the next level
- Fan-made TIE Fighter short film: For people who love Star Wars, anime, or just plain awesomeness
- Looking for a new favourite animal? Take your pick from these six adorable Hokkaido natives
- Must try harder: This crane game in Japan is laughably bad 【Video】
- Breaking: An increasing number of cats sitting weirdly
- We bought 21 packs of roasted shellfish to try to find a pearl – but did we get lucky?
- Awesome new electric motorcycle looks like something out of “Akira”‘s Neo Tokyo
- Japanese tourist injured in Tunisian terrorist attack also attacked by Japanese media in hospital
- A new yuru-kyara from Kyoto you have to see to believe
- Japanese women list the top 10 lies they can spot the second a guy says them