Universal Studios Japan is formally opening its new Attack on Titan attraction on Friday. “Attack on Titan The Real” is part of the Universal Cool Japan event (along with Evangelion, Resident Eviland Monster Hunter) which will run between January 23 and May 10. Musician and well-knownEvangelion fan HYDE was among the celebrities who attended Thursday’s opening ceremony. TheMainichi Shinbun paper’s MaiDiGi filmed the opening:
Universal Studios Japan
Dec 15, 2014
Universal Studios Japan is about to be hit by an enemy of titanic proportions!
The popular theme park located in Osaka has finally revealed details regarding one of their most anticipated attractions ever, set to be open to the public from January 23 till May 10 of next year. Feast your eyes on all of the epicness that awaits in Attack on Titan: THE REAL!
As we close in on the end of the year, it can be hard to remember all the places we went and all the things we did over the past 12 months. By “we,” I don’t mean just the RocketNews24 staff, since our website acts as written evidence of most of our year’s worth of frequent escapades and occasional shenanigans. Instead, I’m talking about all of the people who lived in or visited Japan during 2014.
Since we don’t have all of you under surveillance (just the half-dozen or so that Mr. Sato regularly tails throughout the day), we’re instead turning to photo-sharing site Instagram to be our judge, with its list of the top 10 Japanese photo locations that users shared over the course of the year.
Who does a 15-meter naked giant make marketing deals with? Anyone he wants, apparently.
Just days ago, we heard about the upcoming crossover between hit anime and manga Attack on Titan and Marvel Comics, which as of 2009 has been a subsidiary of Disney. Still, that isn’t stopping the Titans from playing both sides of the fence, as Tokyo Disneyland’s major theme park rival has just announced that two life-size Titan statues are coming to Universal Studios Japan.
Oct 20, 2014
Welcome aboard the Hogwarts Express! Located in Osaka prefecture, this new attraction opened its doors in July of 2014. Thousands of Harry Potter fans have flocked to USJ since its opening, and RocketNews24 is here to provide you with some tips and tricks to make your visit as smooth as possible. Hold onto your wands, and join us as we enter the magical Wizarding World of Harry Potter.
In recent years, Japan seems to have been catching on to the whole Halloween thing in a big way. Halloween celebrations and festivals grow and grow year after year and they’re starting earlier in the year than ever before.
Case in point: Universal Studios Japan’s “Horror Night” program starts over a month before Halloween, which is earlier than even some of my more overzealous Halloween buff friends in America were asking for costume ideas on Facebook. Of course, getting started early on the Halloween spirit is never a bad thing; everybody loves the family-friendly adrenaline kick you get from being “soft scared” by horror events you know are just pretend.
The problem, apparently, is that Universal Studios – according to Japanese media – might be taking things a little too far.
Running Universal Studios Japan has to be a pretty tough job, since it’s never quite been able to step out from the shadow of Japan’s theme park juggernauts, Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea. You have to figure part of that stems from Universal’s weaker portfolio of beloved characters and settings. Whereas a trip to the Disney parks means a chance to rub elbows with the cast of Aladdin, Toy Story, and The Little Mermaid, visitors to USJ have had to settle for Jaws, Water World, and Backdraft.
But Universal Studios Japan has a new plan that involves not minding the first two-thirds of its name, but that last word, as the park is planning to add new attractions based on Attack on Titan, Evangelion, and other hit franchises from Japan.
Jun 11, 2014
As the art of cosplay steadily proliferates into the culture of Japan, even traditionally stodgy institutions like universities have begun accepting it at their graduations. So it would seem obvious that more “carefree” places like theme parks would embrace the costumed fun.
Tokyo Disneyland had their own cosplay event and Universal Studios Japan makes provisions for it in their park rules and regulations. Still, with these companies and others protecting their own brand interests there’s bound to be some lines one shouldn’t cross when trying to gain entrance in costume. But with no official bans on dressing up like certain characters it’s up to Twitter users to test the waters and find where these parks draw the line.
As the year draws to a close and 2014 pokes its head over the horizon, Harry Potter fans in Japan are finding it harder to contain their excitement over the summer opening of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios, Osaka. Fan photos on Twitter show how the progress is going, with an awesome train service and a near-complete replica of Hogwarts Castle that looks exactly like the one on film.
Jul 2, 2013
Hot on the heels of their hugely successful recreation of the zombies, characters, and pasta dishes from the hit video game and movie franchises Resident Evil, Universal Studios Japan (USJ) is teaming up with Capcom once again this summer to bring us an even more authentic survival horror experience in the form of Resident Evil: The Real (Biohazard: The Real in Japan).
Rather than simply walking around getting spooked by zombies, USJ is providing visitors with their own replica gun, a limited supply of ammo, and only a few minutes to survive an onslaught of zombies and other creatures from the Resident Evil series. Hear that? That’s the sound of millions of gamers’ day being made.
A new Harry Potter train was introduced on the JR Sakurajima line providing access to Universal Studios Japan from Nishikujo Station in Osaka.
- Anime pillow responds to your rubbing with moans and groans, gets angry if you get too grabby1
- Fan film ‘Dragon Ball Z: Light of Hope’ – two years in the making, but well worth the wait【Video】2
- Our Japanese staff members pick the top places in Japan they’d like to visit again someday3
- Revenge bento show us it’s a dish best served cold (and boxed) with insults and hidden chilies4
- Narita Airport shuttle buses – Cheaper than the train, but which bus is best?5
- The top 10 most common shojo manga scenarios, as picked by Japanese girls’ comic fans6
- A simple paint trick to make your anime robot models look extra sexy7
- Japanese netizens stare at red dot for 30 seconds, freak out when they see what happens8
- Creepy news: Estimate a complete stranger’s breast size with this new plastic folder!9
- “Hideously tacky”? Japan’s poster for Academy Award-winning movie Birdman raises eyebrows online10
- Time to quit your job – Company in Japan now hiring for the position of Ninja Master1
- Japanese netizens stare at red dot for 30 seconds, freak out when they see what happens2
- Magazine asks Japanese women if they’d rather date an ugly millionaire or unemployed hottie3
- Pretty kitty says “Good morning” in Japanese, not just a doting owner’s imagination!4
- Ultimate TKG: We’ll never eat tamago kake gohan the old way again! 【Rocket Kitchen】5
- Here’s a newly-revealed character list for the 2015 Dragon Ball Z movie to geek out over6
- Japan’s most popular kitty names, featuring inspiration from anime and sweet treats!7
- Japanese female bodybuilder could kick your butt, break your heart at the same time8
- Anime is real, says Obama, in definitely-not-at-all-faked photos9
- Do you mix your wasabi and soy sauce? Some people say you shouldn’t10
- Hachiko, Japan’s most loyal dog, finally reunited with owner in heartwarming new statue in Tokyo1
- Literal breastplate will give you a cosplay-ready, anime-class bust in seconds 【Photos】2
- English hot spring manners poster is so thorough, even Japanese people are learning from it3
- Meet Asuna, the hyperreal android that will leave your jaw hanging 【Video】4
- Keanu Reeves tries to be a tourist in Akihabara, gets mobbed by fans instead5
- Man beats up woman for not looking like “goddess” he spent thousands of dollars to meet6
- This amazingly detailed theme park map is what Tokyo Ghibli Land would look like7
- The number one thing that foreign men find “not so kawaii” about Japanese women8
- Someone finally built the massive, room-filling Dragon Ball Z diorama the world deserved9
- The last photo of faithful dog Hachiko breaks our hearts10
- Hachiko, Japan’s most loyal dog, finally reunited with owner in heartwarming new statue in Tokyo1
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood2
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin3
- Literal breastplate will give you a cosplay-ready, anime-class bust in seconds 【Photos】4
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”5
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing6
- Japanese man proposes to girlfriend with Guinness World Record-winning GPS drawing7
- Historic Kyoto temple first in Japan to offer gay weddings8
- Cosplay ideals vs. cosplay reality, a.k.a. cool vs. funny 【Photos】9
- Internet ready to shut up and take your money as preorders finally start for Cat Ear Headphones10
- The top 10 most common shojo manga scenarios, as picked by Japanese girls’ comic fans
- A simple paint trick to make your anime robot models look extra sexy
- Japanese netizens stare at red dot for 30 seconds, freak out when they see what happens
- Creepy news: Estimate a complete stranger’s breast size with this new plastic folder!
- “Hideously tacky”? Japan’s poster for Academy Award-winning movie Birdman raises eyebrows online
- Time to quit your job – Company in Japan now hiring for the position of Ninja Master
- Ingenious sloths engineer home theater systems ideal for tiny Japanese homes
- Pretty kitty says “Good morning” in Japanese, not just a doting owner’s imagination!
- This is the most technologically-advanced cat feeder you’ll ever find
- Students at new online high school in Japan make anime-style avatars for virtual campus
- Possible ISIS threat appears to target Taiwan, infringes on copyright
- Mini bakeable Kit Kats return — this time in cheesecake flavor! 【Taste Test】
- Convenience store in Japan welcomes new range of donuts, Evangelion-style