Universal Studios Japan is formally opening its new Attack on Titan attraction on Friday. “Attack on Titan The Real” is part of the Universal Cool Japan event (along with Evangelion, Resident Eviland Monster Hunter) which will run between January 23 and May 10. Musician and well-knownEvangelion fan HYDE was among the celebrities who attended Thursday’s opening ceremony. TheMainichi Shinbun paper’s MaiDiGi filmed the opening:
Universal Studios Japan
Dec 15, 2014
Universal Studios Japan is about to be hit by an enemy of titanic proportions!
The popular theme park located in Osaka has finally revealed details regarding one of their most anticipated attractions ever, set to be open to the public from January 23 till May 10 of next year. Feast your eyes on all of the epicness that awaits in Attack on Titan: THE REAL!
As we close in on the end of the year, it can be hard to remember all the places we went and all the things we did over the past 12 months. By “we,” I don’t mean just the RocketNews24 staff, since our website acts as written evidence of most of our year’s worth of frequent escapades and occasional shenanigans. Instead, I’m talking about all of the people who lived in or visited Japan during 2014.
Since we don’t have all of you under surveillance (just the half-dozen or so that Mr. Sato regularly tails throughout the day), we’re instead turning to photo-sharing site Instagram to be our judge, with its list of the top 10 Japanese photo locations that users shared over the course of the year.
Who does a 15-meter naked giant make marketing deals with? Anyone he wants, apparently.
Just days ago, we heard about the upcoming crossover between hit anime and manga Attack on Titan and Marvel Comics, which as of 2009 has been a subsidiary of Disney. Still, that isn’t stopping the Titans from playing both sides of the fence, as Tokyo Disneyland’s major theme park rival has just announced that two life-size Titan statues are coming to Universal Studios Japan.
Oct 20, 2014
Welcome aboard the Hogwarts Express! Located in Osaka prefecture, this new attraction opened its doors in July of 2014. Thousands of Harry Potter fans have flocked to USJ since its opening, and RocketNews24 is here to provide you with some tips and tricks to make your visit as smooth as possible. Hold onto your wands, and join us as we enter the magical Wizarding World of Harry Potter.
In recent years, Japan seems to have been catching on to the whole Halloween thing in a big way. Halloween celebrations and festivals grow and grow year after year and they’re starting earlier in the year than ever before.
Case in point: Universal Studios Japan’s “Horror Night” program starts over a month before Halloween, which is earlier than even some of my more overzealous Halloween buff friends in America were asking for costume ideas on Facebook. Of course, getting started early on the Halloween spirit is never a bad thing; everybody loves the family-friendly adrenaline kick you get from being “soft scared” by horror events you know are just pretend.
The problem, apparently, is that Universal Studios – according to Japanese media – might be taking things a little too far.
Running Universal Studios Japan has to be a pretty tough job, since it’s never quite been able to step out from the shadow of Japan’s theme park juggernauts, Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea. You have to figure part of that stems from Universal’s weaker portfolio of beloved characters and settings. Whereas a trip to the Disney parks means a chance to rub elbows with the cast of Aladdin, Toy Story, and The Little Mermaid, visitors to USJ have had to settle for Jaws, Water World, and Backdraft.
But Universal Studios Japan has a new plan that involves not minding the first two-thirds of its name, but that last word, as the park is planning to add new attractions based on Attack on Titan, Evangelion, and other hit franchises from Japan.
Jun 11, 2014
As the art of cosplay steadily proliferates into the culture of Japan, even traditionally stodgy institutions like universities have begun accepting it at their graduations. So it would seem obvious that more “carefree” places like theme parks would embrace the costumed fun.
Tokyo Disneyland had their own cosplay event and Universal Studios Japan makes provisions for it in their park rules and regulations. Still, with these companies and others protecting their own brand interests there’s bound to be some lines one shouldn’t cross when trying to gain entrance in costume. But with no official bans on dressing up like certain characters it’s up to Twitter users to test the waters and find where these parks draw the line.
As the year draws to a close and 2014 pokes its head over the horizon, Harry Potter fans in Japan are finding it harder to contain their excitement over the summer opening of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios, Osaka. Fan photos on Twitter show how the progress is going, with an awesome train service and a near-complete replica of Hogwarts Castle that looks exactly like the one on film.
Jul 2, 2013
Hot on the heels of their hugely successful recreation of the zombies, characters, and pasta dishes from the hit video game and movie franchises Resident Evil, Universal Studios Japan (USJ) is teaming up with Capcom once again this summer to bring us an even more authentic survival horror experience in the form of Resident Evil: The Real (Biohazard: The Real in Japan).
Rather than simply walking around getting spooked by zombies, USJ is providing visitors with their own replica gun, a limited supply of ammo, and only a few minutes to survive an onslaught of zombies and other creatures from the Resident Evil series. Hear that? That’s the sound of millions of gamers’ day being made.
A new Harry Potter train was introduced on the JR Sakurajima line providing access to Universal Studios Japan from Nishikujo Station in Osaka.
- No more photo retouches! New makeup for cosplayers claims to create photo-perfect skin1
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”2
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time3
- Cross-dressing Cosplay Idol Group a Huge Hit in China4
- How many do you know? 12 delicious foods in Japanese supermarkets and convenience stores5
- Unreal “animation dancer” makes Japanese salarymen breakdance with the power of magic sunglasses6
- Get ready for yuru-kyara car plates! Japan to lift ban on colourful regional license plates7
- Team Japan’s goal keeper is awfully good at catching cats8
- Tokyo University campus has its own sushi restaurant where great dining meets higher education9
- Evangelion couple rings let you tell your sweetheart you love him or her like Shinji loves Kaworu10
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”1
- Edo era Samurai were pretty gay2
- Netizens hatch adorable baby birds from supermarket eggs, provide evidence3
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time4
- Attack on Titan’s Universal Studios Japan attraction opens5
- New plus-sized idol group hopes to broaden the image of beauty in Japan 【Video】6
- Secret backmasked message found hidden in Dragon Ball Z ending song7
- Disney Store is all grown up with new branch designed for adult women opening in Tokyo8
- With adult responsibilities looming, Japanese teen lets loose with epic Frozen chalkboard art9
- Is “Ago-kui” the next “Kabe-don”?10
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing1
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”2
- Cosplay ideals vs. cosplay reality, a.k.a. cool vs. funny 【Photos】3
- Internet ready to shut up and take your money as preorders finally start for Cat Ear Headphones4
- Edo era Samurai were pretty gay5
- Ugly-cute makeup genius feeds off negative troll comments on Twitter6
- “Malaysian girl holding things” is our new favourite Instagram account 【Photos】7
- Teacher draws over students’ doodles to make red pen masterpieces8
- Photos of people lining up outside of the Sapporo Apple Store make us feel positively frozen9
- Netizens hatch adorable baby birds from supermarket eggs, provide evidence10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood3
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin4
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours5
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】6
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school7
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing8
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”9
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises10
- Unreal “animation dancer” makes Japanese salarymen breakdance with the power of magic sunglasses
- Get ready for yuru-kyara car plates! Japan to lift ban on colourful regional license plates
- Team Japan’s goal keeper is awfully good at catching cats
- Tokyo University campus has its own sushi restaurant where great dining meets higher education
- Evangelion couple rings let you tell your sweetheart you love him or her like Shinji loves Kaworu
- Inside China’s Mission Hills Golf Club, the largest golf resort in the world
- Attack on Titan’s Universal Studios Japan attraction opens
- Japanese granny attempts to trash treasure trove of old photographs, is thwarted by grandkids
- Creating your own custom etched glass is a lot simpler than you think
- Japanese carpenters demonstrate traditional wooden joints and it’s oddly satisfying 【Video】
- Here’s how a 2000-year-old Chinese art can make you more productive
- People from around the world share surprising quirks of their country in enlightening video