We have written a handful of articles about cute character-shaped doughnuts and cakes that can be found in Japan. Adorable food is probably something that would sell in any country, but what if such Western snacks are not a common choice among the locals, like in China, for example? The creative canteen ladies at the Northeast Agricultural University in Harbin recently cooked up their own version of animal-shaped snacks, in the form of Chinese steamed buns, and they’re selling like, well, hotcakes.
Thailand’s oldest private university, Bangkok University, has one of the most stunning campuses in Southeast Asia. Founded in 1962 by the owner of the Thai beverage company Osotspa Co., Ltd., the school now has two campuses. An incredible 27,000 students attend Bangkok University and after seeing the following 12 photographs, you will be jealous of every last one of them.
According to Hong Kong dailies dated May 11, university officials in Beijing and Shanghai were reported as saying authorities had directed them to refrain from teaching seven subjects in their classes including “freedom of the press,” “human rights” and “universal values.”
The Japanese engineering and academia circles were rocked this week by the emergence of the Riaju Coat (Fulfillment Coat), a robotic coat which provides a slightly less virtual girlfriend experience from that of dating sim games.
Now it appears this development has sparked a girlfriend simulation tech race with rival universities.
Nadeju Headphones (Stroking Fulfillment Headphones) were developed by an ambitious team at Maizuru National College of Technology (MNCT) to simulate the feeling a girl stroking your head.
Spring is the time of graduation ceremonies in Japan and while the junior high school students are ruffling feathers with their risqué photos, the high school kids are getting ready for that life-changing transition to college life.
After countless hours of prep courses and after-school cram schools they have acquired the knowledge to enter tertiary education, but very little instruction is given on how to adapt to the social life of university.
That’s where manga comes in. To fill that void of knowledge, Naver has compiled a list of comics that have hit home with university students in Japan. Sure, some of them deal with unrealistic subject matter such as conversations with bacteria, but they still manage to capture the general atmosphere of college life pretty well.
So without further ado, if you’re about to make the switch to a campus or if you’re just looking for a new manga series to get into, sit back and enjoy this list of university-themed manga.
A group of international students at Peking University had come together to put up a Gangnam Style performance during the annual Peking University International Cultural Festival held in late October. One of the guys even parodied PSY by dressing himself up in the classic suit-with-sunglasses look.
It was such an enjoyable performance, that the chart topping hit was repeated again for the encore segment, and the students all gathered again on the main stage, waved their respective country flags and swayed along.
And of course, as the catchy phrase “Oppa Gangnam Style!” came on, everybody could no longer resist the urge to bring together their two hands and start trotting along to the beats.
For the past few years, Japan has been in a fuss about soushoku danshi, literally translated as “herbivore boys.” These are young men who represent the antithesis of the rowdy, skirt-chasing, big-spending corporate man associated with the 1980s bubble economy: they’re passive, conservative with money, prefer to stay in instead of going out drinking with coworkers and are generally uninterested in sex.
Such personal lifestyle choices wouldn’t be considered problematic if Japanese society wasn’t struggling with a declining birthrate and low consumer spending. But when an ever-increasing portion of your male population is enjoying their evening with a cup of tea at the local manga cafe when you need them to be out buying cars and procreating, you’ve got a situation on your hands.
To make matters worse, a survey conducted by The Japanese Association for Sex Education (JASE) reveals that the number of young Japanese women who have had sex has decreased dramatically over the past 6 years.
Perhaps the ladies of Japan have finally given up on trying to get their male counterparts into bed and joined convent themselves.
Awesome Course Schedule, an app released last year by Japanese content provider Labit, has been rapidly gaining traction with students at Japanese universities, because it allows them to rate and review their courses. Read More
The Japanese web portal goo recently asked its users their biggest regret from their college years. It seems in Japan as well, those heady days of freedom in university offer more than plentiful chances for screw-ups. Youth is one factor, but compared to middle school and high school students, university students have a whole lot more time on their hands and a whole lot less supervision, leading to a lot of navel-gazing, time-wasting and jack-assery. Some things are true the world over, I guess!
- An Illustrated Guide to the Implications of not Washing Your Hands After Using the Restroom1
- Japanese Guys Take Notes! 10 Things Foreign Guys Do That Makes Japanese Girls Fall Head Over Heels2
- The Top 25 Things In Japan Most Likely To Blow Foreigner’s Minds3
- Men’s butts are shaped like green peppers, according to this butt illustration guide4
- Your Favorite Nintendo Games As You’ve Never Seen Them Before, As Traditional Japanese Prints5
- 46 Things That Surprise Foreigners in Japan6
- The official kanji of 2013 has been chosen!7
- “Damn it human, help me!” One cat’s epic battle with an empty plastic bag8
- How to date an idol: A guide to the highly improbable9
- 【Thursday Throwback】Free Admission: 12 of Tokyo’s Best Kept Secrets10
- “Wait, you’re a dude? Meh, marry me anyway.” New male princess stealing hearts in China1
- Beautiful Chinese boy “traps” the hearts of Korean netizens 【Photos】2
- An Illustrated Guide to the Implications of not Washing Your Hands After Using the Restroom3
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea4
- Nine unusual products from Japanese designer, Oki Sato5
- 10 incredible tiny houses in Japan: a photo tour6
- The last photo of faithful dog Hachiko breaks our hearts7
- Girl runs away from home to stop her parents from buying a Japanese car8
- Woman with alone time on an elevator does something incredibly unexpected9
- Cute credit cards could send you to the slammer10
- What the hell is this monster?? 【Updated】1
- 45 adorable pictures of animals acting human 【Photos】2
- Chinese designer depicts Eastern vs. Western human behaviors in clever pictographs3
- When Two Amazing Worlds Collide: Welcome to the World of Cat Sushi!4
- Before and After: 31 Startling Images of Plastic Surgery in Korea 【Photo Album】5
- “Wait, you’re a dude? Meh, marry me anyway.” New male princess stealing hearts in China6
- Beautiful Chinese boy “traps” the hearts of Korean netizens 【Photos】7
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong8
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea9
- Nine unusual products from Japanese designer, Oki Sato10
- Before and After: 31 Startling Images of Plastic Surgery in Korea 【Photo Album】1
- 252 of Japan’s favorite animated gifs2
- What the hell is this monster?? 【Updated】3
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong4
- Chinese designer depicts Eastern vs. Western human behaviors in clever pictographs5
- Thinking about plastic surgery? This ad may make you laugh – or it could make you think twice!6
- Meet the new model set to make manga artists’ lives a whole lot easier7
- 10 things Japan gets awesomely right8
- When Two Amazing Worlds Collide: Welcome to the World of Cat Sushi!9
- 45 adorable pictures of animals acting human 【Photos】10
- 46 Things That Surprise Foreigners in Japan
- The official kanji of 2013 has been chosen!
- “Damn it human, help me!” One cat’s epic battle with an empty plastic bag
- How to date an idol: A guide to the highly improbable
- 【Thursday Throwback】Free Admission: 12 of Tokyo’s Best Kept Secrets
- Easy-to-make marshmallow toast is delicious, could open a gateway to Hell
- Hey guys, unlucky with women? There’s always Latvia!
- New Studio Ghibli movie revealed for 2014: When Marnie Was There【Newsflash】
- 10 things Japan gets awesomely right
- Flash mob performing Totoro theme song will melt your heart, make you want to join in
- Bona fide pork ice cream put to the taste test: “Good for diabetics!”
- The top 10 Japanese restaurants outside of Japan
- [Quiz] How Well Do You Know Your Japanese Hand Gestures?
- 11 tips to spot (or imitate) a member of Japan’s Self-Defense Forces