An investigation is currently underway after it became clear that more than 300 copies of The Diary of a Young Girl, the book containing the writings of Holocaust victim Anne Frank, have been torn and severely defaced over what is thought to be the past few weeks across a number of public libraries in Tokyo.
Jul 25, 2013
Being a teacher is tough. In a sincere effort to mold young minds, many educators have to endure strict regulations, tight budgets, and the unreasonable demands of monster parents. It’s too much for some to handle, as we can see in the case of Yusei Yoshikawa, the 26-year-old teacher who has recently been racking up an arrest per month for vandalizing and robbing his own school.
To the pyromaniacal factions of protesters out there,
We’re sorry you recently got caught with egg on your faces after torching a Samsung outlet. To be fair, that’s not such a crazy mistake to make. But to have us believe Swiss-based watchmaker Rolex is somehow wrapped up in the Senkaku Islands row is a little much.
Then again, far be it from us to disagree with an angry mob. Maybe you know something we don’t?
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Sep 19, 2012
Quick, what country does Samsung come from?
If you said Japan, you’re wrong. Samsung is actually headquartered in South Korea. But no worries, it’s just a missed trivia question. However, if you’re an angry mob hell bent on destroying all things Japanese and you make this same mistake, you’ve committed a major faux paus.
This weekend Japanese (and other) businesses in China have been the victims of a spate of arson attacks as well as vandalism and looting as anti-Japan protests have escalated to record levels since Japan and China established diplomatic ties in 1972.
- Ready to tie the anime knot? Company offers marriage certificate for you and your 2D waifu1
- Don’t believe in the magic of the 100 yen store? This product will seal the deal!2
- Too busy to wrap Christmas presents? Not if you’ve got 12 seconds, Japanese store shows【Video】3
- 11 never-ending hypnotic GIFs that just made a portion of our weekend disappear mysteriously4
- Flipping the kanji for “husband” upside-down reveals slightly worrying double meaning5
- New Evangelion short film now streaming on animation studio’s website6
- One more time! Anime fans choose the series they’d most like to see rerun on TV7
- Latest evolution of Pokémon cafe to open in Shibuya this January8
- 10 slightly strange Christmas trees from Japan9
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker10
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】1
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood2
- Life imitates (Sword) Art (Online) as Japanese gamers find they can’t log out of online RPG3
- Character images of new Digimon Adventure series released, expected to air in spring 20154
- Ready to tie the anime knot? Company offers marriage certificate for you and your 2D waifu5
- Artist magically transforms Sailor Moon characters into black women6
- Japan’s cutest rodent commuters take the high-road【Video】7
- Our hero Ladybeard shows us and the world how to properly wear the much-talked about boob shirt8
- Too busy to wrap Christmas presents? Not if you’ve got 12 seconds, Japanese store shows【Video】9
- How humanity ends: Virtual reality headset hooked up to Tenga love cup for men 【Video】10
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood1
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin2
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】3
- How to say “I love you” in Japanese – 47 different ways 【Videos】4
- Japanese man proposes to girlfriend with Guinness World Record-winning GPS drawing5
- Historic Kyoto temple first in Japan to offer gay weddings6
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!7
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】8
- Hayao Miyazaki comments on Chihiro’s final test scene in Spirited Away9
- Fashion gone wrong? Boob shirts take Twitter by storm10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】3
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China4
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood5
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin6
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked7
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours8
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】9
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school10
- New Evangelion short film now streaming on animation studio’s website
- One more time! Anime fans choose the series they’d most like to see rerun on TV
- Latest evolution of Pokémon cafe to open in Shibuya this January
- 10 slightly strange Christmas trees from Japan
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- Piccolo saves Christmas when he’s not saving Namekians
- Truck driver hailed as “hero” for cutting off car on wet highway
- Unhinged Japanese boyband fan stalks “rival” on Twitter, demands they delete their account
- Pokemon fan’s heads exploding over guy’s classic Gameboy makeover video
- Japanese makeup artist does classic Hollywood glamour, recreates Audrey Hepburn’s coveted look
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea
- Get into the groove with this beautiful Japanese confection that looks like a piano keyboard!
- “2D vs. Katana” exhibition shows off recreations of swords from anime and video games in Osaka