An investigation is currently underway after it became clear that more than 300 copies of The Diary of a Young Girl, the book containing the writings of Holocaust victim Anne Frank, have been torn and severely defaced over what is thought to be the past few weeks across a number of public libraries in Tokyo.
Jul 25, 2013
Being a teacher is tough. In a sincere effort to mold young minds, many educators have to endure strict regulations, tight budgets, and the unreasonable demands of monster parents. It’s too much for some to handle, as we can see in the case of Yusei Yoshikawa, the 26-year-old teacher who has recently been racking up an arrest per month for vandalizing and robbing his own school.
To the pyromaniacal factions of protesters out there,
We’re sorry you recently got caught with egg on your faces after torching a Samsung outlet. To be fair, that’s not such a crazy mistake to make. But to have us believe Swiss-based watchmaker Rolex is somehow wrapped up in the Senkaku Islands row is a little much.
Then again, far be it from us to disagree with an angry mob. Maybe you know something we don’t?
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Sep 19, 2012
Quick, what country does Samsung come from?
If you said Japan, you’re wrong. Samsung is actually headquartered in South Korea. But no worries, it’s just a missed trivia question. However, if you’re an angry mob hell bent on destroying all things Japanese and you make this same mistake, you’ve committed a major faux paus.
This weekend Japanese (and other) businesses in China have been the victims of a spate of arson attacks as well as vandalism and looting as anti-Japan protests have escalated to record levels since Japan and China established diplomatic ties in 1972.
- Oh no, osechi! Why don’t young people in Japan like eating traditional New Year’s dishes?1
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!2
- Casual cosplay: for those who want to dress the part 365 days a year【Photos】3
- Japanese dictionary removes heteronormative definitions of love and sex4
- Japanese model builder wins at Gundam, makes a 3D model look like a flat drawing5
- More adorable photos from Japan’s fox village6
- Free to download Japanese marriage applications are cute, stylish, and legally binding7
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】8
- Does the way you cross your arms say anything about your personality? Japan thinks so9
- Young man’s clever use of an umbrella saves injured kitten10
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】1
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours2
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!3
- Turn an ordinary balloon into a smartphone case in seconds with this neat trick4
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute5
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters6
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer7
- Does the way you cross your arms say anything about your personality? Japan thinks so8
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world9
- Can you spot the problem that led to the recall of this otherwise cute Japanese New Year’s card?10
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”1
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher2
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school3
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】4
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours5
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises6
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit7
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make8
- One Piece manga sends off Naruto with a classy secret message9
- Clever Japanese pet owners find perfect cat beds…at IKEA! 【Photos】10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher3
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”4
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】5
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China6
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later7
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea10
- More adorable photos from Japan’s fox village
- Free to download Japanese marriage applications are cute, stylish, and legally binding
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】
- Does the way you cross your arms say anything about your personality? Japan thinks so
- Young man’s clever use of an umbrella saves injured kitten
- Store employee uses barcode scanner to defeat knife-wielding robber
- “Hello Kitty Park” in China is set to open on New Year’s Day!
- Live-action Attack on Titan posters show new characters and weapons, plus one huge absence
- Jibanyan, Japan chooses you! Pikachu trampled beneath paws of Youkai Watch mascot
- Japanese mothers react to being called by their first names after years of just being “Mama”
- Tokyo’s Rikugien garden: Beautiful for 300 years, but especially in autumn after dark
- 252 of Japan’s favorite animated gifs
- Zao Fox Village: Where all your cutes are belong to us
- Japan’s prince of tennis gets his own Prince of Tennis manga portrait