You may have been under the impression that McDonald’s has already taken over the world. But even though it has already succeeded in introducing the Big Mac to over 120 countries or territories around the globe, it still has a few places left to conquer. Up until now, Vietnam was, perhaps surprisingly, one of those places. But not anymore with the grand opening of Vietnam’s first McDonald’s shop, which also happens to be Vietnam’s first drive-through restaurant and first 24-hour chain store. Opening day proved to be a smashing success with hordes of people flocking to sink their teeth into a juicy burger. Interestingly, due to the prevalence of scooters in Vietnam, the drive-through line was almost completely composed of people driving not cars, but scooters! Join us for a look at some opening day scenes with pictures taken by people who were there.
At any amusement park run by the “big two” – Disney or Universal Studios – you can be whisked away to a picturesque fairytale castle, or live out scenes from your favourite movies. But what if what you really want is to ride through the depths of hell and then go alligator fishing? Suoi Tien Cultural Amusement Park, located on the outskirts of Ho Chi Minh City, is a mammoth of a theme park that delights and baffles in equal measure. Read on for our eight reasons not to miss out!
- Preston Phro
Aug 12, 2013
What’s the longest you’ve gone being alone? A day? Maybe a week? How about 40 years?
That’s how long one 82-year-old man and his 42-year-old son spent living alone in a jungle located in Quang Ngai province of Vietnam before finally emerging last week.
Changes are expected to be made to the Vietnamese constitution this October during sessions of the country’s National Assembly. The current constitution was ratified in 1992 as part of the doimoi political movement that relaxed many of the government’s economic controls, and was a major departure from its previous incarnation.
Although minor revisions were made to the constitution in 2001, far more extensive alterations are expected in the next round. Among the many points to be discussed is the possibility of altering the country’s official name.
In Japan, we have a tradition of enjoying huge firework events in the summer. On weekends in July and August, you can often see girls on their way to a hanabi taikai (fireworks festival) in colorful yukatas, a popular summer kimono for women when going out to fireworks events. But of course, it doesn’t have to be summer to enjoy beautiful fireworks, as this stunning video from Vietnam proves!
Vietnamese Trade Ao Dai for Anime-Inspired Uniforms and Collars at Ho Chi Minh City’s First Locally-Owned Maid Café
- Casey Baseel
May 15, 2013
One of the most enduring images of Japanese pop culture in the past few years is that of the maid café, where customers are served by waitresses with personalities to match the careful craftsmanship of their cute, frill-covered outfits. Maid cafes have become something of a cultural export, popping up in the U.S., Canada, and, as RocketNews24 previously showcased, Russia. The phenomenon has also reached Southeast Asia, as showcased by reporters from website Post Seven who recently visited a maid café in Vietnam.
- Master Blaster
Oct 3, 2012
Despite China’s booming development in recent years, their media has been reluctant to toot their own patriotic horn and limited themselves to phrases like “potential superpower”.
It looks like the kid gloves are off now though, as South China Post kicked off the newest nickname for the PRC, “beginning superpower” last week. This follows a busy summer of superpower-like imposition and disregard for neighboring countries all along the nation’s coasts.
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong1
- Brutal four-panel comic explains why Japanese salaryman are trapped in their jobs2
- Lady Gaga goes gaga for Hatsune Miku, makes virtual idol her opening act3
- Cute and talented Taiwanese singer is actually a boy, Netizens no longer find this shocking4
- Revisiting Songkran: the best water festival EVER!!!5
- Ghibli casts its 1st film with 2 female leads & all-English theme song6
- Amazing Lego artist spends six months bringing Hatsune Miku into the physical world7
- “Racist” Air France geisha poster prompts satirical home-made fixes8
- Kid trampling, surly schoolgirls, and dancing grains of rice: Cup rice ad is classic crazy Japan9
- Suntory’s awesome miniature ice versions of the Golden Pavilion, Statue of Liberty and more10
- Chinese Photoshop Trolls and the Half-Blood Prisoner of the Deathly Phoenix Goblet (Part 6)1
- 10 incredible tiny houses in Japan: a photo tour2
- Unfortunate Google employee forced to wander alone on eerie abandoned island for Street View photos3
- The extreme lengths Samsung must go to make sure your Galaxy phone works perfectly4
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong5
- So, the Dalai Lama walks into a convenience store in rural Japan… 【Photos】6
- Ten-year-old illustrator getting national attention for his unique style of portraits7
- See what 13 stuffed toys look like after a wash at the home spa8
- We finally get to meet Goku’s mother — and we think she’s a real cutie!9
- Sad breakfasts the morning after a fight【Photos】10
- Japanese netizens put reality on hold for a moment, fall in love with new attorney general of Crimea1
- Chinese Photoshop Trolls and the Half-Blood Prisoner of the Deathly Phoenix Goblet (Part 6)2
- Little store managers take over FamilyMart in Taiwan, hilarity and tons of cute in store【Video】3
- Unfortunate Google employee forced to wander alone on eerie abandoned island for Street View photos4
- Daughter of Osamu Tezuka, God of Manga, discovers his stash of hand-drawn sexy mouse artwork5
- Attack on Titan’s studio head talks sequels, keys to the hit anime’s success6
- 【TBT】China’s Photoshop experts will fix your bad photos, but be careful what you wish for7
- 10 incredible tiny houses in Japan: a photo tour8
- Admirers express their love for Crimean attorney general in the purest way they can: cute fan art9
- Who’s inside those theme park costumes? In China, it could be this 75-year-old woman10
- Korean high schools allow “anything goes” yearbook photos, with hilarious results1
- Taiwan’s Gravity Max – Quite possibly the scariest roller coaster in the world2
- Don’t call them fat, call them Marshmallow Girls!3
- Beautiful gym babe impresses Chinese netizens with her incredible fitness!【Pics & GIFs】4
- Japanese netizens put reality on hold for a moment, fall in love with new attorney general of Crimea5
- Picture perfect siblings of 18 years apart melt the hearts of Chinese netizens【Photos】6
- Attack on Titan’s studio head talks sequels, keys to the hit anime’s success7
- Unfortunate Google employee forced to wander alone on eerie abandoned island for Street View photos8
- Chinese Photoshop Trolls and the Half-Blood Prisoner of the Deathly Phoenix Goblet (Part 6)9
- Ghibli’s Hayao Miyazaki says the anime industry’s problem is that it’s full of anime fans10
- Ghibli casts its 1st film with 2 female leads & all-English theme song
- Amazing Lego artist spends six months bringing Hatsune Miku into the physical world
- “Racist” Air France geisha poster prompts satirical home-made fixes
- Kid trampling, surly schoolgirls, and dancing grains of rice: Cup rice ad is classic crazy Japan
- Suntory’s awesome miniature ice versions of the Golden Pavilion, Statue of Liberty and more
- Overseas reaction to Japanese My Little Pony dub is a little odd to Japanese people
- Sailors assemble! Artist reimagines the cast of Sailor Moon as Marvel’s Avengers
- Cute girls are universal! Japanese netizens rave over a Chinese girl who is “too cute”【Photos】
- Otaku pro wrestler Tomoyuki Oka makes no apologies for blurring the nerd/jock boundary
- Eight Japanese words we’d love to import into English
- Taiwanese student creates incredible art with materials others would throw away【Photos】
- 70% of South Koreans will donate to fund for unity with North, want US and China to cough up too
- We resist the urge to climb Denny’s Japan’s Tower Pancake so we can eat it instead
- A Maasai tribesman in Ginza: How Tokyo fashion empowers women a world away in Africa 【Photos】