In Vietnam on 15 July it was reported that Hanoi police investigated the Dong Yang Nong Sa food distributor and discovered a large stash of illegal food additives. Referred to as a “Magical Additive” it has the power to transform pork into beef. This comes as great news because I was just about to stop believing in magic.
- Master Blaster
Jun 5, 2014
You have to hand it to Coca-Cola. Despite being the best-selling cola brand and one of the biggest companies in the world, they certainly don’t seem to rest on their laurels. Like a hungry up-and-coming business, they’re always coming up with new gimmicks in each of the 200 countries they operate in, whether it be personalized bottles in Japan or, like now in Vietnam, a set of functional caps which can transform your empty bottle into a water gun, pencil sharpener, night lights and more after you’re finished with it.
- KK Miller
Apr 29, 2014
Bad weather holidays were the greatest reason for not going to school. Sometimes, though, the severe weather isn’t quite enough to force a closure. The wind isn’t quite strong enough or the rain or snow isn’t dangerous enough. So, if the school says classes are on, you do what you can to get there. A city in Vietnam has “schooled” everyone with the incredible lengths they will go to get students to their classroom.
- Krista Rogers
Feb 19, 2014
You may have been under the impression that McDonald’s has already taken over the world. But even though it has already succeeded in introducing the Big Mac to over 120 countries or territories around the globe, it still has a few places left to conquer. Up until now, Vietnam was, perhaps surprisingly, one of those places. But not anymore with the grand opening of Vietnam’s first McDonald’s shop, which also happens to be Vietnam’s first drive-through restaurant and first 24-hour chain store. Opening day proved to be a smashing success with hordes of people flocking to sink their teeth into a juicy burger. Interestingly, due to the prevalence of scooters in Vietnam, the drive-through line was almost completely composed of people driving not cars, but scooters! Join us for a look at some opening day scenes with pictures taken by people who were there.
At any amusement park run by the “big two” – Disney or Universal Studios – you can be whisked away to a picturesque fairytale castle, or live out scenes from your favourite movies. But what if what you really want is to ride through the depths of hell and then go alligator fishing? Suoi Tien Cultural Amusement Park, located on the outskirts of Ho Chi Minh City, is a mammoth of a theme park that delights and baffles in equal measure. Read on for our eight reasons not to miss out!
- Preston Phro
Aug 12, 2013
What’s the longest you’ve gone being alone? A day? Maybe a week? How about 40 years?
That’s how long one 82-year-old man and his 42-year-old son spent living alone in a jungle located in Quang Ngai province of Vietnam before finally emerging last week.
Changes are expected to be made to the Vietnamese constitution this October during sessions of the country’s National Assembly. The current constitution was ratified in 1992 as part of the doimoi political movement that relaxed many of the government’s economic controls, and was a major departure from its previous incarnation.
Although minor revisions were made to the constitution in 2001, far more extensive alterations are expected in the next round. Among the many points to be discussed is the possibility of altering the country’s official name.
In Japan, we have a tradition of enjoying huge firework events in the summer. On weekends in July and August, you can often see girls on their way to a hanabi taikai (fireworks festival) in colorful yukatas, a popular summer kimono for women when going out to fireworks events. But of course, it doesn’t have to be summer to enjoy beautiful fireworks, as this stunning video from Vietnam proves!
Vietnamese Trade Ao Dai for Anime-Inspired Uniforms and Collars at Ho Chi Minh City’s First Locally-Owned Maid Café
- Casey Baseel
May 15, 2013
One of the most enduring images of Japanese pop culture in the past few years is that of the maid café, where customers are served by waitresses with personalities to match the careful craftsmanship of their cute, frill-covered outfits. Maid cafes have become something of a cultural export, popping up in the U.S., Canada, and, as RocketNews24 previously showcased, Russia. The phenomenon has also reached Southeast Asia, as showcased by reporters from website Post Seven who recently visited a maid café in Vietnam.
- Master Blaster
Oct 3, 2012
Despite China’s booming development in recent years, their media has been reluctant to toot their own patriotic horn and limited themselves to phrases like “potential superpower”.
It looks like the kid gloves are off now though, as South China Post kicked off the newest nickname for the PRC, “beginning superpower” last week. This follows a busy summer of superpower-like imposition and disregard for neighboring countries all along the nation’s coasts.
- Too hot during the blackout? Cool down with an electric fan, veteran newscaster suggests1
- Toyokazu Nagano’s “Magic Road” – the funniest, most adorable photos you’ll see today2
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker3
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!4
- Nara’s deer continue their summertime tradition of commandeering one of the city’s streets5
- Father posts six-year-old daughter’s anime character drawings online, net users not convinced6
- 10 incredible tiny houses in Japan: a photo tour7
- Gamer discovers his deceased father’s ghost on an old Xbox game, challenges it to a race8
- Internet survey sheds light on how Japanese women deal with the hair ‘down there’9
- Raising awareness in the competitive gaming community – two female perspectives10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Creative pet “haircuts”: Funky or funny? You decide.2
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman3
- Gamer discovers his deceased father’s ghost on an old Xbox game, challenges it to a race4
- Internet survey sheds light on how Japanese women deal with the hair ‘down there’5
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old to raise her to be his “ideal girl”6
- More than one way to skin a cat? Japanese YouTuber shows how to “open” a cat with belly rubs7
- Five amazing Japanese Starbucks locations that let you keep sightseeing as you take a break8
- Is Attack on Titan a documentary? Mikasa spotted in Russia!9
- Beautiful 400-year-old garden in Okayama about to be replaced with condominium complex10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】6
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land7
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic8
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!9
- Guitarist perfectly recreates disgraced Japanese politician’s uncontrollable sobbing【Video】10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- What if Sailor Moon characters were lingerie models? They’d look stunning like this 【Photos】9
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】10
- Father posts six-year-old daughter’s anime character drawings online, net users not convinced
- 10 incredible tiny houses in Japan: a photo tour
- Gamer discovers his deceased father’s ghost on an old Xbox game, challenges it to a race
- Internet survey sheds light on how Japanese women deal with the hair ‘down there’
- Raising awareness in the competitive gaming community – two female perspectives
- Tohoku University evicts entire dormitory for rampant drinking, is a zany 80s comedy just waiting to happen
- Gigantic aquatic insect found in China has record-setting wingspan, possibly anal spray
- International survey finds that 90% are open to a romantic encounter with a Korean partner
- Our take on Studio Ghibli’s newest anime, When Marnie Was There【Impressions】
- Japanese Twitter users report an increase in ninja cat sightings as summer settles in【Photos】
- Kids’ Hello Kitty Dictionary is surprisingly gritty
- Beautiful 400-year-old garden in Okayama about to be replaced with condominium complex