That old Internet meme about stupid business plans that goes something like, “1) _____, 2) ???, 3) Profit!” can now apparently be applied to dumb revenge schemes, as a Vietnamese man, who, after becoming so incredibly furious at his wife that he simply had to do something to get revenge, put together this brilliant scheme: 1) cut off own penis, 2) ???, 3) SATISFACTION!!!!
In Vietnam on 15 July it was reported that Hanoi police investigated the Dong Yang Nong Sa food distributor and discovered a large stash of illegal food additives. Referred to as a “Magical Additive” it has the power to transform pork into beef. This comes as great news because I was just about to stop believing in magic.
- Master Blaster
Jun 5, 2014
You have to hand it to Coca-Cola. Despite being the best-selling cola brand and one of the biggest companies in the world, they certainly don’t seem to rest on their laurels. Like a hungry up-and-coming business, they’re always coming up with new gimmicks in each of the 200 countries they operate in, whether it be personalized bottles in Japan or, like now in Vietnam, a set of functional caps which can transform your empty bottle into a water gun, pencil sharpener, night lights and more after you’re finished with it.
- KK Miller
Apr 29, 2014
Bad weather holidays were the greatest reason for not going to school. Sometimes, though, the severe weather isn’t quite enough to force a closure. The wind isn’t quite strong enough or the rain or snow isn’t dangerous enough. So, if the school says classes are on, you do what you can to get there. A city in Vietnam has “schooled” everyone with the incredible lengths they will go to get students to their classroom.
- Krista Rogers
Feb 19, 2014
You may have been under the impression that McDonald’s has already taken over the world. But even though it has already succeeded in introducing the Big Mac to over 120 countries or territories around the globe, it still has a few places left to conquer. Up until now, Vietnam was, perhaps surprisingly, one of those places. But not anymore with the grand opening of Vietnam’s first McDonald’s shop, which also happens to be Vietnam’s first drive-through restaurant and first 24-hour chain store. Opening day proved to be a smashing success with hordes of people flocking to sink their teeth into a juicy burger. Interestingly, due to the prevalence of scooters in Vietnam, the drive-through line was almost completely composed of people driving not cars, but scooters! Join us for a look at some opening day scenes with pictures taken by people who were there.
At any amusement park run by the “big two” – Disney or Universal Studios – you can be whisked away to a picturesque fairytale castle, or live out scenes from your favourite movies. But what if what you really want is to ride through the depths of hell and then go alligator fishing? Suoi Tien Cultural Amusement Park, located on the outskirts of Ho Chi Minh City, is a mammoth of a theme park that delights and baffles in equal measure. Read on for our eight reasons not to miss out!
- Preston Phro
Aug 12, 2013
What’s the longest you’ve gone being alone? A day? Maybe a week? How about 40 years?
That’s how long one 82-year-old man and his 42-year-old son spent living alone in a jungle located in Quang Ngai province of Vietnam before finally emerging last week.
Changes are expected to be made to the Vietnamese constitution this October during sessions of the country’s National Assembly. The current constitution was ratified in 1992 as part of the doimoi political movement that relaxed many of the government’s economic controls, and was a major departure from its previous incarnation.
Although minor revisions were made to the constitution in 2001, far more extensive alterations are expected in the next round. Among the many points to be discussed is the possibility of altering the country’s official name.
In Japan, we have a tradition of enjoying huge firework events in the summer. On weekends in July and August, you can often see girls on their way to a hanabi taikai (fireworks festival) in colorful yukatas, a popular summer kimono for women when going out to fireworks events. But of course, it doesn’t have to be summer to enjoy beautiful fireworks, as this stunning video from Vietnam proves!
Vietnamese Trade Ao Dai for Anime-Inspired Uniforms and Collars at Ho Chi Minh City’s First Locally-Owned Maid Café
- Casey Baseel
May 15, 2013
One of the most enduring images of Japanese pop culture in the past few years is that of the maid café, where customers are served by waitresses with personalities to match the careful craftsmanship of their cute, frill-covered outfits. Maid cafes have become something of a cultural export, popping up in the U.S., Canada, and, as RocketNews24 previously showcased, Russia. The phenomenon has also reached Southeast Asia, as showcased by reporters from website Post Seven who recently visited a maid café in Vietnam.
- Master Blaster
Oct 3, 2012
Despite China’s booming development in recent years, their media has been reluctant to toot their own patriotic horn and limited themselves to phrases like “potential superpower”.
It looks like the kid gloves are off now though, as South China Post kicked off the newest nickname for the PRC, “beginning superpower” last week. This follows a busy summer of superpower-like imposition and disregard for neighboring countries all along the nation’s coasts.
- New video from Wagakki Band “Hanabi” is an original, awesome song【J-Tunes】1
- Pikachus overrunning Yokohama in the cutest rodent invasion ever 【Video】2
- Ryokan etiquette: What not to do when staying at a traditional Japanese inn3
- What turned Tokyo Disneyland into the Loneliest Place on Earth last weekend?4
- Blogger’s silly video of types of dancers at Singapore clubs is trending in Japan5
- Japanese scientist predicts another major earthquake in Japan by 20176
- Man in China steps into “royal rumble” to save the day, maybe goes a bit too far【Video】7
- This watermelon might be the most disappointing thing you see today8
- These four Siberian Huskies probably have more followers than you on Instagram!9
- Whiskey shaved ice: A frozen treat for adults in Kyoto10
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight1
- 16-year-old girl arrested for beheading classmate in Japan’s Nagasaki Prefecture2
- This watermelon might be the most disappointing thing you see today3
- Gamer discovers his deceased father’s ghost on an old Xbox game, challenges it to a race4
- Internet survey sheds light on how Japanese women deal with the hair ‘down there’5
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker6
- Vietnamese man, angry at wife, hatches bizarre revenge scheme: Cut off his own penis7
- Five amazing Japanese Starbucks locations that let you keep sightseeing as you take a break8
- 10 obscure Japanese vending machine drinks that fly under the beverage radar9
- Two people tragically die after Chinese woman drops her cell phone into a cesspool10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】6
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight7
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land8
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic9
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】9
- This amazing water cake just may be the most delicate sweet ever created!10
- Japanese scientist predicts another major earthquake in Japan by 2017
- Man in China steps into “royal rumble” to save the day, maybe goes a bit too far【Video】
- This watermelon might be the most disappointing thing you see today
- These four Siberian Huskies probably have more followers than you on Instagram!
- Whiskey shaved ice: A frozen treat for adults in Kyoto
- 16-year-old girl arrested for beheading classmate in Japan’s Nagasaki Prefecture
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- Vietnamese man, angry at wife, hatches bizarre revenge scheme: Cut off his own penis
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!
- Darth Vader to Japanese dictionary released, selling like Tusken bread
- Are you a solo dining expert? Rank yourself with this Korean “lone diner guide”!
- Titans attack Lawson convenience stores, bring tons of anime goodies with them