One of the things kids most enjoy about going to Disneyland is getting to meet the characters up close and personal, and they love seeing their favourites on TV too. But something about the characters on this Vietnamese children’s show are a little…off. This bizarre TV show features a lawsuit waiting to happen, canned children’s cheers, and characters that will haunt your dreams.
Jul 28, 2014
That old Internet meme about stupid business plans that goes something like, “1) _____, 2) ???, 3) Profit!” can now apparently be applied to dumb revenge schemes, as a Vietnamese man, who, after becoming so incredibly furious at his wife that he simply had to do something to get revenge, put together this brilliant scheme: 1) cut off own penis, 2) ???, 3) SATISFACTION!!!!
In Vietnam on 15 July it was reported that Hanoi police investigated the Dong Yang Nong Sa food distributor and discovered a large stash of illegal food additives. Referred to as a “Magical Additive” it has the power to transform pork into beef. This comes as great news because I was just about to stop believing in magic.
Jun 5, 2014
You have to hand it to Coca-Cola. Despite being the best-selling cola brand and one of the biggest companies in the world, they certainly don’t seem to rest on their laurels. Like a hungry up-and-coming business, they’re always coming up with new gimmicks in each of the 200 countries they operate in, whether it be personalized bottles in Japan or, like now in Vietnam, a set of functional caps which can transform your empty bottle into a water gun, pencil sharpener, night lights and more after you’re finished with it.
Apr 29, 2014
Bad weather holidays were the greatest reason for not going to school. Sometimes, though, the severe weather isn’t quite enough to force a closure. The wind isn’t quite strong enough or the rain or snow isn’t dangerous enough. So, if the school says classes are on, you do what you can to get there. A city in Vietnam has “schooled” everyone with the incredible lengths they will go to get students to their classroom.
Feb 19, 2014
You may have been under the impression that McDonald’s has already taken over the world. But even though it has already succeeded in introducing the Big Mac to over 120 countries or territories around the globe, it still has a few places left to conquer. Up until now, Vietnam was, perhaps surprisingly, one of those places. But not anymore with the grand opening of Vietnam’s first McDonald’s shop, which also happens to be Vietnam’s first drive-through restaurant and first 24-hour chain store. Opening day proved to be a smashing success with hordes of people flocking to sink their teeth into a juicy burger. Interestingly, due to the prevalence of scooters in Vietnam, the drive-through line was almost completely composed of people driving not cars, but scooters! Join us for a look at some opening day scenes with pictures taken by people who were there.
At any amusement park run by the “big two” – Disney or Universal Studios – you can be whisked away to a picturesque fairytale castle, or live out scenes from your favourite movies. But what if what you really want is to ride through the depths of hell and then go alligator fishing? Suoi Tien Cultural Amusement Park, located on the outskirts of Ho Chi Minh City, is a mammoth of a theme park that delights and baffles in equal measure. Read on for our eight reasons not to miss out!
Aug 12, 2013
What’s the longest you’ve gone being alone? A day? Maybe a week? How about 40 years?
That’s how long one 82-year-old man and his 42-year-old son spent living alone in a jungle located in Quang Ngai province of Vietnam before finally emerging last week.
Changes are expected to be made to the Vietnamese constitution this October during sessions of the country’s National Assembly. The current constitution was ratified in 1992 as part of the doimoi political movement that relaxed many of the government’s economic controls, and was a major departure from its previous incarnation.
Although minor revisions were made to the constitution in 2001, far more extensive alterations are expected in the next round. Among the many points to be discussed is the possibility of altering the country’s official name.
In Japan, we have a tradition of enjoying huge firework events in the summer. On weekends in July and August, you can often see girls on their way to a hanabi taikai (fireworks festival) in colorful yukatas, a popular summer kimono for women when going out to fireworks events. But of course, it doesn’t have to be summer to enjoy beautiful fireworks, as this stunning video from Vietnam proves!
Vietnamese Trade Ao Dai for Anime-Inspired Uniforms and Collars at Ho Chi Minh City’s First Locally-Owned Maid Café
May 15, 2013
One of the most enduring images of Japanese pop culture in the past few years is that of the maid café, where customers are served by waitresses with personalities to match the careful craftsmanship of their cute, frill-covered outfits. Maid cafes have become something of a cultural export, popping up in the U.S., Canada, and, as RocketNews24 previously showcased, Russia. The phenomenon has also reached Southeast Asia, as showcased by reporters from website Post Seven who recently visited a maid café in Vietnam.
Oct 3, 2012
Despite China’s booming development in recent years, their media has been reluctant to toot their own patriotic horn and limited themselves to phrases like “potential superpower”.
It looks like the kid gloves are off now though, as South China Post kicked off the newest nickname for the PRC, “beginning superpower” last week. This follows a busy summer of superpower-like imposition and disregard for neighboring countries all along the nation’s coasts.
- New Evangelion short film now streaming on animation studio’s website1
- Too busy to wrap Christmas presents? Not if you’ve got 12 seconds, Japanese store shows【Video】2
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】3
- Rock band KISS collaborating with Sailor Moon Crystal’s Momoiro Clover Z4
- Artist magically transforms Sailor Moon characters into black women5
- Love dolls, strippers, jacuzzis and drugs: The Philippines’ largest prison gets raided by police6
- How humanity ends: Virtual reality headset hooked up to Tenga love cup for men 【Video】7
- OPPO’s new R5 smartphone is a multi-tool disguised as the thinnest cell phone ever8
- Ready to tie the anime knot? Company offers marriage certificate for you and your 2D waifu9
- Model and TV star Kayo Police went to Singapore to wish you a hot Christmas from the beach10
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood1
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】2
- Character images of new Digimon Adventure series released, expected to air in spring 20153
- Chinese dude bags super hot Ukrainian wife, generates major envy online4
- Life imitates (Sword) Art (Online) as Japanese gamers find they can’t log out of online RPG5
- Japan’s cutest rodent commuters take the high-road【Video】6
- Artist magically transforms Sailor Moon characters into black women7
- Our hero Ladybeard shows us and the world how to properly wear the much-talked about boob shirt8
- 39 looks at the lighter side of Asia9
- Evacuation orders issued as town in northern Japan is flooded by rising tidewaters10
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood1
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin2
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- How to say “I love you” in Japanese – 47 different ways 【Videos】5
- Japanese man proposes to girlfriend with Guinness World Record-winning GPS drawing6
- Historic Kyoto temple first in Japan to offer gay weddings7
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!8
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】9
- Hayao Miyazaki comments on Chihiro’s final test scene in Spirited Away10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】3
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China4
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood5
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin6
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours9
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】10
- Love dolls, strippers, jacuzzis and drugs: The Philippines’ largest prison gets raided by police
- How humanity ends: Virtual reality headset hooked up to Tenga love cup for men 【Video】
- OPPO’s new R5 smartphone is a multi-tool disguised as the thinnest cell phone ever
- Ready to tie the anime knot? Company offers marriage certificate for you and your 2D waifu
- Model and TV star Kayo Police went to Singapore to wish you a hot Christmas from the beach
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons
- Character images of new Digimon Adventure series released, expected to air in spring 2015
- Mythbusters: We drive a car over our smartphone to test the protective film
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea
- Man parks over sidewalk guide for the blind, gets lesson in manners from Okinawan fourth-grader
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher
- Blogger offers four pieces of advice for foreign women looking for love with a Japanese guy
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong
- Beautiful Kinkakuji temple even cooler under blanket of snow