How would you react to being beaten up while living in a foreign country by an assailant spewing racial hatred? While most of us may be more interested in revenge, a Japanese software developer and longtime resident of Germany recently showed how to set aside anger to make the world a better place. Instead of dwelling on the attack, the Japanese man bought ad space in a Berlin subway station to ask his attacker to work on a translation project together. Click below to find out what made this Japanese man want to reach out to the man that gave him a black eye!
The International Red Cross has recently been pushing for so-called “hyper realistic” video games to follow international humanitarian laws and penalize players for their in-game crimes, such as gunning down civilians. Last month, the organization on its Japanese site posted an explanation about why it decided to press for this. As expected, gamers had mixed reactions to the announcement with some decrying the “over-regulation” of their hobby, while many thought it was a much-needed change to the industry.
- Rachel Tackett
Aug 2, 2013
The principal of an elementary school in Osaka recently resigned under pressure from the city’s board of education after using physical violence as a disciplinary measure against seven of the school’s students for enacting and concealing the event of a knife threat within the school.
Messing with These Vending Machines May Result in Severing of Fingers and/or Published Photos of Your Genitals
- Master Blaster
Jan 9, 2013
Rumor has it that among the numerous maid cafés, manga, DVD, and video game shops in Akihabara, Tokyo, there exists a unique corner full of vending machines.
The machines contain typical fare for Japan – colas, teas, snacks, condoms, and such – but are guarded by savage penalties unbecoming of the general levels of politeness in this country. In fact, often involving dismemberment, these penalties seem more at home in a bleak post-apocalyptic Thunderdome type society than urban Tokyo.
Few know about this legendary group of vending machines outside of Akihabara aficionados. So our reporter, Kuzo, decided to venture up the electric river of Akihabara in search of the Heart of Vending Machine Darkness.
Host Club Boss Caught on Camera Beating an Elderly Taxi Driver, Internet Outrage Contributes to His Arrest
- Philip Kendall
Nov 7, 2012
A video showing a man believed to be the boss of a “host club” bar repeatedly striking an elderly taxi driver has caused outrage in Japan after it was uploaded to YouTube and Niconico video.
The video, which is incredibly hard to watch and has already been removed several times due to its disturbing content, led to internet users uniting for a common cause and demanding that the hat-wearing bully be identified and arrested.
- Philip Kendall
Sep 17, 2012
After weeks of anti-Japanese protests in China, with many escalating into physical violence and damage to property, Japanese nationals and businesses alike are understandably on edge. With many stores being ransacked and any person thought to be supporting Japan in any way- including innocent Chinese civilians unfortunate enough to be seen driving Japanese-made vehicles- being attacked amidst mob violence, it is little wonder that people are doing whatever it takes to distance themselves from Japan.
Famous clothing brand Uniqlo- a Japanese company founded in Yamaguchi prefecture- opened its flagship Shanghai store in 2010 to much fanfare and excitement, suggesting that, irrespective of the differences the two countries may have, trendy fashions at low, low prices can bring people together in mutual consumer harmony.
It would seem, however, that even one of China’s most loved Japanese brand names is battening down the hatches for fear of mob reprisal… Read More
Chinese Man Dragged Out of Car and Beaten For Driving Toyota During Anti-Japan Protests 【Contains Graphic Imagery】
Sep 17, 2012
Anti-Japanese rallies in China continue to escalate as protesters in cities across the country have come out in the thousands, marching in front of diplomatic compounds, attacking Japanese businesses and burning Japanese flags (see photos of the destruction here).
The Chinese government has shown no signs of intervening and the unchecked violence has become a double-edged sword as many of the Japanese businesses vandalized were staffed by local employees and contribute to local tax revenue.
Now it seems the protests have begun to take a toll on human life as well: it was revealed on Sunday that at least one Chinese person was trampled to death in a protest and, even more tragic, another person was critically injured after being attacked for driving a Japanese car.
Sep 11, 2012
Japan is known for being one of the cleanest countries in the world, surely a point of pride for many Japanese people. But is it enough to pull a knife on someone for littering?
Last month, Tokyo police arrested a 60-year-old man for threatening a female high school student with a knife after they threw their trash on the ground of a public park.
Police Stand By as Korean Man is Assaulted by Extremists for Protesting Japanese War Crimes, Japanese Internet Approves
Aug 18, 2012
A Korean man protesting at the infamous Yasukuni Shrine was assaulted by a group of Japanese men on August 15, the 67th anniversary of Japan’s surrender in World War II.
- Five amazing Japanese Starbucks locations that let you keep sightseeing as you take a break1
- Touching Final Fantasy X cover on the violin takes you “To Zanarkand”【Video】2
- J-Pop group Tokio suspected in the sudden construction of a super-long noodle slide3
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old to raise her to be his “ideal girl”4
- Looking for a unique job environment? This could be as unique (and isolated) as it gets in Japan!5
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!6
- Pikachu, we eat you! – A visit to Tokyo’s Pokémon restaurant7
- Excited for the new Dragon Ball Z flick? Check out the teaser trailer right here8
- Man questioned by police after building “girl” out of plastic bottles, taking her out on a date9
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman10
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- This man’s face left Chinese internet users in amazement, agony and confusion 【Photos】3
- Creative pet “haircuts”: Funky or funny? You decide.4
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman5
- More than one way to skin a cat? Japanese YouTuber shows how to “open” a cat with belly rubs6
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old to raise her to be his “ideal girl”7
- Is Attack on Titan a documentary? Mikasa spotted in Russia!8
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】9
- 5 amazingly cute cosplayers who you’ll run into at anime conventions10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- 16 photos that show why Singapore has the world’s best airline6
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】7
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land8
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic9
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- What if Sailor Moon characters were lingerie models? They’d look stunning like this 【Photos】9
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】10
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!
- Pikachu, we eat you! – A visit to Tokyo’s Pokémon restaurant
- Excited for the new Dragon Ball Z flick? Check out the teaser trailer right here
- Man questioned by police after building “girl” out of plastic bottles, taking her out on a date
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman
- Our take on Studio Ghibli’s newest anime, When Marnie Was There【Impressions】
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- Grandpa makes Totoro for grandkids after move
- Chinese mall’s large pink parking spaces for women seen as sexist by some, wonderful by others
- Inconsiderate commuter behavior in Korea – A photo guide
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!
- Beautiful 400-year-old garden in Okayama about to be replaced with condominium complex
- This awful woman stealing a little kid’s foul ball will ruin your day