We’re sure you’ve heard of square watermelons from Japan, but how about heart-shaped ones? After many years of research, Hiroichi Kimura, a farmer from Kumamoto Prefecture, has finally done it! But it was no easy task shaping the originally round fruits into the symbol of love. Let’s take a closer look at the fruits of this farmer’s labor.
In case you’ve been in cryosleep for the last month and somehow missed us moaning about it, Japan and a number of Asian countries are currently experiencing one of the hottest summers on record and are a horrible sweaty mess. Like a bunch of restless pets wandering around the bedroom at night looking for a cool place to sleep, people are crowding into air-conditioned public areas, crashing out on treadmills in otherwise respectable department stores, and even wedging themselves into ice-cream cases.
In China, though, some clever parents have solved the heat problem for their little ones by dressing them up in the coolest, most thirst-quenching fruit of them all, with adorable results. Ladies and gentlemen, meet the watermelon babies.
To pull off the perfect crime one has to minimize risk while maximizing the yields. If you’re going to rob a bank you’ll have to put up with safes, cameras, random customers, polite staff and a quick police response.
So who is sitting on a goldmine but least expecting to get robbed? While not as expensive as more authentic melons, watermelons go for a rather high price in Japan. However, you’d have to be crazy to try and steal a bunch of watermelons… Right?
Apr 21, 2013
We all love coolers, don’t we? They keep our drinks nice and cold, wherever we go. Well, here’s a gadget that does the job even better! This little guy on wheels, believe it or not, is a portable mini-refrigerator/heater and goes by the cute product name of “Tama-chan”. But why is Tama-chan shown with a watermelon inside? Read More
Pepsi Highlights Underground Worldwide Fruit Trend with Their Newest Designer Flavor, “Salty Watermelon”
- Master Blaster
May 30, 2012
The newest in a line of seasonal limited edition Pepsi flavors has been announced by Japanese distributor Suntory. Set to debut on 24 July is the red-colored Pepsi: Salty Watermelon. Hopefully this is as awesome as Pepsi: Pink was.
But after reading the announcement I had to do a double-take. The watermelon’s salty?
- Japanese high school student becomes Twitter sensation showing difference between time with boyfriend and friends1
- Japanese driver fails to stop at a yellow light, turns herself in to the police2
- Japanese Twitter users and the tale of the broken battery3
- Here are the weirdest things you can buy on Alibaba’s English site4
- Photos of women with and without make-up show that reality is what you make it5
- How Microsoft created a virtual assistant that could blow Siri away6
- Japanese women dish about being betrayed by their female friends7
- Miss Todai/weather forecaster Ayaka Sawada’s adorable drawings8
- Japan Self-Defense Force’s elite Central Band performs Hatsune Miku song Senbonzakura9
- Chinese “porn identification officer” has seen over 600,000 adult videos, threw up after watching some10
- The extreme lengths Samsung must go to make sure your Galaxy phone works perfectly1
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong2
- 12 gender-bent Disney and Ghibli characters that are utter perfection3
- 10 Japanese expressions that sound delightfully strange and funny when translated4
- So, the Dalai Lama walks into a convenience store in rural Japan… 【Photos】5
- Lady Gaga goes gaga for Hatsune Miku, makes virtual idol her opening act6
- Advice from Japanese women on dealing with your boyfriend’s anime girlfriend7
- Real-life barbie bares real-life face in minimal makeup selfies【Photos】8
- “Racist” Air France geisha poster prompts satirical home-made fixes9
- Cat greets its returning owner with so much warmth we’d swear it was puppy love10
- Chinese Photoshop Trolls and the Half-Blood Prisoner of the Deathly Phoenix Goblet (Part 6)1
- Unfortunate Google employee forced to wander alone on eerie abandoned island for Street View photos2
- Daughter of Osamu Tezuka, God of Manga, discovers his stash of hand-drawn sexy mouse artwork3
- Little store managers take over FamilyMart in Taiwan, hilarity and tons of cute in store【Video】4
- 【TBT】China’s Photoshop experts will fix your bad photos, but be careful what you wish for5
- The extreme lengths Samsung must go to make sure your Galaxy phone works perfectly6
- Japanese netizens put reality on hold for a moment, fall in love with new attorney general of Crimea7
- 10 incredible tiny houses in Japan: a photo tour8
- Attack on Titan’s studio head talks sequels, keys to the hit anime’s success9
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong10
- Korean high schools allow “anything goes” yearbook photos, with hilarious results1
- Taiwan’s Gravity Max – Quite possibly the scariest roller coaster in the world2
- Don’t call them fat, call them Marshmallow Girls!3
- Beautiful gym babe impresses Chinese netizens with her incredible fitness!【Pics & GIFs】4
- Japanese netizens put reality on hold for a moment, fall in love with new attorney general of Crimea5
- Picture perfect siblings of 18 years apart melt the hearts of Chinese netizens【Photos】6
- Attack on Titan’s studio head talks sequels, keys to the hit anime’s success7
- Unfortunate Google employee forced to wander alone on eerie abandoned island for Street View photos8
- Chinese Photoshop Trolls and the Half-Blood Prisoner of the Deathly Phoenix Goblet (Part 6)9
- Ghibli’s Hayao Miyazaki says the anime industry’s problem is that it’s full of anime fans10
- How Microsoft created a virtual assistant that could blow Siri away
- Japanese women dish about being betrayed by their female friends
- Miss Todai/weather forecaster Ayaka Sawada’s adorable drawings
- Japan Self-Defense Force’s elite Central Band performs Hatsune Miku song Senbonzakura
- Chinese “porn identification officer” has seen over 600,000 adult videos, threw up after watching some
- Japanese netizens put reality on hold for a moment, fall in love with new attorney general of Crimea
- “How many freakin’ CDs do I have to buy?” Fans displeased with idol group’s debut single
- Poster for Ghibli’s new movie under fire … from the big guru himself!
- Better know a train nerd: 36 different classifications for Japan’s “densha otaku”
- Healthy ice cream? Well, these new Häagen-Dazs vegetable flavors at least sound healthy!
- Five foods you should never feed to your cat
- 10 Japanese expressions that sound delightfully strange and funny when translated
- Advice from Japanese women on dealing with your boyfriend’s anime girlfriend
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong