For some of our Western readers, just the idea of raw fish might be enough to turn stomachs. Now imagine the kind of sushi that even Japanese folk can’t handle. We’ve previously introduced Hong Kong’s ‘Myosho sushi’ store, nicknamed ‘killer sushi’, on our Japanese site, but in the name of journalism we decided that a hands-on report was necessary. And so we sent our brave and strong-stomached writer out into the field.
Mar 12, 2014
Those right there my friend are fried armored isopods, and they’re just waiting for you to munch down on those crunchy exoskeletons. Heston Blumenthal get on over here, ‘cos this might be just what you need to get your next Michelin star.
You, Me, And a Tanuki is a weekly featured blog run by Michelle, a Californian who is currently one of only two foreigners living in Chibu, a tiny fishing village on one of the Oki islands in Japan. Check back every Saturday for a new post or read more on her website here!
When I first got to Japan, I made a goal to try any food that was offered to me. Sea snails (freshly cracked out of their shells and still alive), check. Sea cucumber, check. Shiokara (fermented salty squid), check. I’ve encountered some of the grossest edible things I’ve ever seen, but stuck to my goal, tried not to think about the slimy mess in front of me, and ate the new food.
To up the ante on my food challenge, I told myself that I would eat every dish that was served in kyuushoku (school lunch). The main reason I took this challenge is that I think it sets a good example for the kids, who are made to sit at the lunch table until they finish every bite of their food. Usually, completing my goal isn’t a chore at all. I’ve had some of the most delicious meals I’ve ever encountered in Japan served to me in the lunchroom at school. But it hasn’t all been easy. I’m not a fan of shishamo (pregnant smelt fish) which are eaten with head, eyes, tail, bones…everything, intact. As unappealing as shishamo is to me, I still manage to eat all of them when they are served in the school lunch.
Unfortunately, my undefeated school lunch record has come to an end.
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Sep 10, 2012
There’s nothing worse than sitting down to enjoy a big slice of your favorite cake, only to feel the unpleasant crunch of an egg shell between your teeth. Well, what if your entire cake was baked in an egg shell?
One of our reporters has cleverly devised a way to cook a cake inside an egg! She’s got a cute idea, but I prefer my cake eggshell-free, no matter where the eggshell ends up.
If you’d like to try your hand at making an egg cake, have a look at her recipe and commentary:
- Video of guy giving pandas medicine is insanely cute, unless you’re the guy1
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked2
- Worst date ever! Japan’s ladies reveal the top five date ideas to avoid3
- “Don’t play for more than an hour a day”: Japanese video game master gives great advice4
- We still don’t feel bad for you, Emperor: Photos of actors and their historical counterparts5
- Small-you-can-eat: Japanese netizens are not happy with Denny’s new endless pancakes offer6
- Sun + Magnifying glass = Art? One man’s unique “painting” style will blow your mind7
- Poor little dog is driven into corner by owner’s terrifying new house guest8
- Spoil your pet rotten with this comfy bed and blanket that looks fit for a king!9
- The Simpsons Halloween episode pays tribute to popular anime10
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked1
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls2
- Why does Engrish happen in Japan?3
- The 10 best anime of the fall season, according to Japanese otaku4
- Somebody turned a Disney Channel cartoon into an anime and it’s pretty awesome5
- Clever font sneaks pronunciation guide for English speakers into Japanese katakana characters6
- Beautiful old footage shows “God of Judo” Kyuzo Mifune gracefully defeat young challengers【Video】7
- We still don’t feel bad for you, Emperor: Photos of actors and their historical counterparts8
- Awesome Air Umbrella from China keeps you dry with blasts of air9
- Chinese woman’s catty comeback to Korean colleague gets netizens talking10
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】1
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China2
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked3
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea4
- Watch liquid turn into food at Japanese sample food factory 【Videos】5
- Japanese mothers react to being called by their first names after years of just being “Mama”6
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked7
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls8
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls9
- “Beautiful foreigner walking a polar bear” spotted at Shibuya’s famous crossing10
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】1
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star2
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls3
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】4
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China5
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later6
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady10
- Small-you-can-eat: Japanese netizens are not happy with Denny’s new endless pancakes offer
- Sun + Magnifying glass = Art? One man’s unique “painting” style will blow your mind
- Poor little dog is driven into corner by owner’s terrifying new house guest
- Spoil your pet rotten with this comfy bed and blanket that looks fit for a king!
- The Simpsons Halloween episode pays tribute to popular anime
- Robot rebellion begins with a cranky Roomba, Internet users too busy laughing to fight back
- 35 fascinating photos of Korea from 100 years ago (before K-dramas took over Asia)
- Kirishima Geopark: Trekking through a bonsai forest in the clouds 【Photos】
- Has a Japanese company found the fountain of youth? One man’s youthful skin suggests so
- Japanese constipation survey reveals the most and least poop-frustrated prefectures
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls
- Trending on Twitter, girls draw themselves as dashing high school boys【Photos】
- Raw, frozen eggs are the new food trend in Japan, apparently