For some of our Western readers, just the idea of raw fish might be enough to turn stomachs. Now imagine the kind of sushi that even Japanese folk can’t handle. We’ve previously introduced Hong Kong’s ‘Myosho sushi’ store, nicknamed ‘killer sushi’, on our Japanese site, but in the name of journalism we decided that a hands-on report was necessary. And so we sent our brave and strong-stomached writer out into the field.
- Cara Clegg
Mar 12, 2014
Those right there my friend are fried armored isopods, and they’re just waiting for you to munch down on those crunchy exoskeletons. Heston Blumenthal get on over here, ‘cos this might be just what you need to get your next Michelin star.
You, Me, And a Tanuki is a weekly featured blog run by Michelle, a Californian who is currently one of only two foreigners living in Chibu, a tiny fishing village on one of the Oki islands in Japan. Check back every Saturday for a new post or read more on her website here!
When I first got to Japan, I made a goal to try any food that was offered to me. Sea snails (freshly cracked out of their shells and still alive), check. Sea cucumber, check. Shiokara (fermented salty squid), check. I’ve encountered some of the grossest edible things I’ve ever seen, but stuck to my goal, tried not to think about the slimy mess in front of me, and ate the new food.
To up the ante on my food challenge, I told myself that I would eat every dish that was served in kyuushoku (school lunch). The main reason I took this challenge is that I think it sets a good example for the kids, who are made to sit at the lunch table until they finish every bite of their food. Usually, completing my goal isn’t a chore at all. I’ve had some of the most delicious meals I’ve ever encountered in Japan served to me in the lunchroom at school. But it hasn’t all been easy. I’m not a fan of shishamo (pregnant smelt fish) which are eaten with head, eyes, tail, bones…everything, intact. As unappealing as shishamo is to me, I still manage to eat all of them when they are served in the school lunch.
Unfortunately, my undefeated school lunch record has come to an end.
- Michelle Lynn Dinh
Sep 10, 2012
There’s nothing worse than sitting down to enjoy a big slice of your favorite cake, only to feel the unpleasant crunch of an egg shell between your teeth. Well, what if your entire cake was baked in an egg shell?
One of our reporters has cleverly devised a way to cook a cake inside an egg! She’s got a cute idea, but I prefer my cake eggshell-free, no matter where the eggshell ends up.
If you’d like to try your hand at making an egg cake, have a look at her recipe and commentary:
- Japanese critic shares his (kinda weird) views on Japanese vs Western adult entertainment1
- Gamer discovers his deceased father’s ghost on an old Xbox game, challenges it to a race2
- Our Japanese correspondent’s report from his first-ever San Diego Comic-Con3
- 【TBT】Tipping in Japan: Yes, it exists and it’s confusing4
- Toyokazu Nagano’s “Magic Road” – the funniest, most adorable photos you’ll see today5
- Actress/sexpert Aya Sugimoto founds organization for animal welfare in Japan6
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker7
- No peripheral vision – Japan’s gamers sound off on hardware add-on nightmares8
- Japanese Twitter users report an increase in ninja cat sightings as summer settles in【Photos】9
- Summer in China means crazy-crowded pools, which somehow mean fun for some easy-going swimmers10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- This man’s face left Chinese internet users in amazement, agony and confusion 【Photos】2
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman3
- Creative pet “haircuts”: Funky or funny? You decide.4
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old to raise her to be his “ideal girl”5
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!6
- More than one way to skin a cat? Japanese YouTuber shows how to “open” a cat with belly rubs7
- Is Attack on Titan a documentary? Mikasa spotted in Russia!8
- Inconsiderate commuter behavior in Korea – A photo guide9
- 12 beautiful Japanese train stations by the sea10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】6
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land7
- 16 photos that show why Singapore has the world’s best airline8
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic9
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- What if Sailor Moon characters were lingerie models? They’d look stunning like this 【Photos】9
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】10
- Actress/sexpert Aya Sugimoto founds organization for animal welfare in Japan
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- No peripheral vision – Japan’s gamers sound off on hardware add-on nightmares
- Japanese Twitter users report an increase in ninja cat sightings as summer settles in【Photos】
- Summer in China means crazy-crowded pools, which somehow mean fun for some easy-going swimmers
- Cats transform into bears, bats, and more, impress and enchant Japanese Internet users
- Pikachu’s dramatic decline in popularity captured in photos
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!
- Korean drama advances slap technology with ancient Korean recipe
- Pikachu, we eat you! – A visit to Tokyo’s Pokémon restaurant
- Five amazing Japanese Starbucks locations that let you keep sightseeing as you take a break
- Luigi’s ‘death stare’ makes it into Japanese Mario Kart 8 commercial
- This awful woman stealing a little kid’s foul ball will ruin your day