For some of our Western readers, just the idea of raw fish might be enough to turn stomachs. Now imagine the kind of sushi that even Japanese folk can’t handle. We’ve previously introduced Hong Kong’s ‘Myosho sushi’ store, nicknamed ‘killer sushi’, on our Japanese site, but in the name of journalism we decided that a hands-on report was necessary. And so we sent our brave and strong-stomached writer out into the field.
Mar 12, 2014
Those right there my friend are fried armored isopods, and they’re just waiting for you to munch down on those crunchy exoskeletons. Heston Blumenthal get on over here, ‘cos this might be just what you need to get your next Michelin star.
You, Me, And a Tanuki is a weekly featured blog run by Michelle, a Californian who is currently one of only two foreigners living in Chibu, a tiny fishing village on one of the Oki islands in Japan. Check back every Saturday for a new post or read more on her website here!
When I first got to Japan, I made a goal to try any food that was offered to me. Sea snails (freshly cracked out of their shells and still alive), check. Sea cucumber, check. Shiokara (fermented salty squid), check. I’ve encountered some of the grossest edible things I’ve ever seen, but stuck to my goal, tried not to think about the slimy mess in front of me, and ate the new food.
To up the ante on my food challenge, I told myself that I would eat every dish that was served in kyuushoku (school lunch). The main reason I took this challenge is that I think it sets a good example for the kids, who are made to sit at the lunch table until they finish every bite of their food. Usually, completing my goal isn’t a chore at all. I’ve had some of the most delicious meals I’ve ever encountered in Japan served to me in the lunchroom at school. But it hasn’t all been easy. I’m not a fan of shishamo (pregnant smelt fish) which are eaten with head, eyes, tail, bones…everything, intact. As unappealing as shishamo is to me, I still manage to eat all of them when they are served in the school lunch.
Unfortunately, my undefeated school lunch record has come to an end.
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Sep 10, 2012
There’s nothing worse than sitting down to enjoy a big slice of your favorite cake, only to feel the unpleasant crunch of an egg shell between your teeth. Well, what if your entire cake was baked in an egg shell?
One of our reporters has cleverly devised a way to cook a cake inside an egg! She’s got a cute idea, but I prefer my cake eggshell-free, no matter where the eggshell ends up.
If you’d like to try your hand at making an egg cake, have a look at her recipe and commentary:
- How to say “I love you” in Japanese – 47 different ways 【Videos】1
- Japanese work ethic tested, how high of a fever will you run before calling in sick?2
- Twitter artist reimagines 64 pokémon as “Substitute” plushies to adorable results3
- Japan’s 10 best ryokan inns and top 10 hotels, as chosen by foreign visitors4
- Socks with toes: The easy way to keep your feet smelling nice and looking fashionably quirky5
- Guy asks Twitter to decode late uncle’s encrypted message, gets results in matter of hours6
- Ouch! Ouch!! Ouch!!! Man in China hit by three cars while “crossing” the street7
- “Let them eat furikake!” says Mayor Hashimoto as Osaka school lunch saga rumbles on8
- Japanese film pros ranked their top movies to show kids, with Ghibli titles sweeping the top 39
- Super-hot female member of real life superhero group captures Japanese hearts10
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】1
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!2
- How to say “I love you” in Japanese – 47 different ways 【Videos】3
- Turn an ordinary balloon into a smartphone case in seconds with this neat trick4
- Does the way you cross your arms say anything about your personality? Japan thinks so5
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours6
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute7
- 10 ways shopping at Wal-Mart in China is completely different from how it is in the US8
- Yokohama restaurant serves fried axolotl, along with giant isopod, camel, and crocodile9
- Our Japanese reporter visits an American sushi restaurant in Japan10
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”1
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】2
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher5
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises6
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit7
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make8
- One Piece manga sends off Naruto with a classy secret message9
- Clever Japanese pet owners find perfect cat beds…at IKEA! 【Photos】10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher2
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls3
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”4
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】5
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China6
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】9
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school10
- Guy asks Twitter to decode late uncle’s encrypted message, gets results in matter of hours
- Ouch! Ouch!! Ouch!!! Man in China hit by three cars while “crossing” the street
- “Let them eat furikake!” says Mayor Hashimoto as Osaka school lunch saga rumbles on
- Japanese film pros ranked their top movies to show kids, with Ghibli titles sweeping the top 3
- Super-hot female member of real life superhero group captures Japanese hearts
- Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building now accepting applications to watch first sunrise of 2015
- Cats, dogs, pandas & more! An irresistible collection of photos and videos of animals in the snow
- Japan’s pet kitties are reportedly spellbound by recent NHK wildlife documentary 【Photos】
- Local thugs forced to fight pro Muay Thai fighters as punishment during Thai New Year festival
- More adorable photos from Japan’s fox village
- Free to download Japanese marriage applications are cute, stylish, and legally binding
- Casual cosplay: for those who want to dress the part 365 days a year【Photos】
- Timpani drummer’s crazy finale is startling, funny, more metal than you’d expect from a symphony