For some of our Western readers, just the idea of raw fish might be enough to turn stomachs. Now imagine the kind of sushi that even Japanese folk can’t handle. We’ve previously introduced Hong Kong’s ‘Myosho sushi’ store, nicknamed ‘killer sushi’, on our Japanese site, but in the name of journalism we decided that a hands-on report was necessary. And so we sent our brave and strong-stomached writer out into the field.
- Cara Clegg
Mar 12, 2014
Those right there my friend are fried armored isopods, and they’re just waiting for you to munch down on those crunchy exoskeletons. Heston Blumenthal get on over here, ‘cos this might be just what you need to get your next Michelin star.
You, Me, And a Tanuki is a weekly featured blog run by Michelle, a Californian who is currently one of only two foreigners living in Chibu, a tiny fishing village on one of the Oki islands in Japan. Check back every Saturday for a new post or read more on her website here!
When I first got to Japan, I made a goal to try any food that was offered to me. Sea snails (freshly cracked out of their shells and still alive), check. Sea cucumber, check. Shiokara (fermented salty squid), check. I’ve encountered some of the grossest edible things I’ve ever seen, but stuck to my goal, tried not to think about the slimy mess in front of me, and ate the new food.
To up the ante on my food challenge, I told myself that I would eat every dish that was served in kyuushoku (school lunch). The main reason I took this challenge is that I think it sets a good example for the kids, who are made to sit at the lunch table until they finish every bite of their food. Usually, completing my goal isn’t a chore at all. I’ve had some of the most delicious meals I’ve ever encountered in Japan served to me in the lunchroom at school. But it hasn’t all been easy. I’m not a fan of shishamo (pregnant smelt fish) which are eaten with head, eyes, tail, bones…everything, intact. As unappealing as shishamo is to me, I still manage to eat all of them when they are served in the school lunch.
Unfortunately, my undefeated school lunch record has come to an end.
- Michelle Lynn Dinh
Sep 10, 2012
There’s nothing worse than sitting down to enjoy a big slice of your favorite cake, only to feel the unpleasant crunch of an egg shell between your teeth. Well, what if your entire cake was baked in an egg shell?
One of our reporters has cleverly devised a way to cook a cake inside an egg! She’s got a cute idea, but I prefer my cake eggshell-free, no matter where the eggshell ends up.
If you’d like to try your hand at making an egg cake, have a look at her recipe and commentary:
- The top 10 instances when Japanese people feel thankful to be Japanese1
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea2
- Plus-size idol group “la BIG 3″ made a music video, and they do a lot of eating in it【Video】3
- Kabe-zubo! Kabe-zun! The unexpected, highly intense versions of Kabe-don are here!【Photos】4
- “Bye-bye!” Chinese flying doll works a little too well, becomes one-use toy 【Video】5
- Traditional Japanese candy gets fancy: Konpeito comes in wine, chocolate, and green tea varieties6
- Geographical Survey Institute posts 184 images of Mount Ontake eruption online7
- Tokyo Disney Resorts to introduce plethora of new attractions for 20158
- US Department of State announces lucky winners of green card lottery9
- We troll a scammer online, make him wish he’d never tried to take our money10
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- We troll a scammer online, make him wish he’d never tried to take our money3
- Japanese women reveal their methods of raising a guy’s bedroom technique4
- Japanese illustrated cookbook teaches you how to cook “mother and daughter”【Photos】5
- The ugly truth of goukon, Japan’s group blind dates6
- Tokyo hamburger vending machine has a human touch7
- Chinese cadet is beautiful enough to make you want to join the army8
- Ghibli anime inspires beautiful cosplay from across the seas 【Photos】9
- The 30 most ‘romantic’ lines that women want to hear (well, according to the Japanese internet)10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady3
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea4
- Lifehack: Transform a Starbucks paper bag into a fully functional wallet!5
- Scholars confirm first discovery of Japanese sword from master bladesmith Masamune in 150 years6
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons7
- Japanese actor’s unfortunate choice of t-shirt has net users amused, doubting his English ability8
- You’re in for a big surprise if you fall for this bikini wearing DJ’s sexy poster!【Photos】9
- Chibatman called in by police, receives their official approval10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】2
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star3
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls4
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later5
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons6
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady9
- The clever way Japanese drivers thank each other without saying a word【Video】10
- Traditional Japanese candy gets fancy: Konpeito comes in wine, chocolate, and green tea varieties
- Geographical Survey Institute posts 184 images of Mount Ontake eruption online
- Tokyo Disney Resorts to introduce plethora of new attractions for 2015
- US Department of State announces lucky winners of green card lottery
- We troll a scammer online, make him wish he’d never tried to take our money
- What, there’s now a specialty burrito shop in Tokyo? Of course, we had to go try it ourselves!
- Miyako-jima’s Paantu Festival: Traumatizing small children to bring them good luck
- Miranda Kerr’s newest photoshoot for Vogue Japan stirs up controversy
- Police officer arrested for assaulting 2 train station attendants in Saitama
- Online “Population Decrease Map” of Japan paints a bleak, womanless future for the country
- An Inside Look at Low Income Apartments in Hong Kong【Photo Gallery】
- Tired of apple? McDonald’s Japan now has anko sweet red bean pies
- 100 things to do in Japan in 100 seconds 【Video】
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls