For some of our Western readers, just the idea of raw fish might be enough to turn stomachs. Now imagine the kind of sushi that even Japanese folk can’t handle. We’ve previously introduced Hong Kong’s ‘Myosho sushi’ store, nicknamed ‘killer sushi’, on our Japanese site, but in the name of journalism we decided that a hands-on report was necessary. And so we sent our brave and strong-stomached writer out into the field.
- Cara Clegg
Mar 12, 2014
Those right there my friend are fried armored isopods, and they’re just waiting for you to munch down on those crunchy exoskeletons. Heston Blumenthal get on over here, ‘cos this might be just what you need to get your next Michelin star.
You, Me, And a Tanuki is a weekly featured blog run by Michelle, a Californian who is currently one of only two foreigners living in Chibu, a tiny fishing village on one of the Oki islands in Japan. Check back every Saturday for a new post or read more on her website here!
When I first got to Japan, I made a goal to try any food that was offered to me. Sea snails (freshly cracked out of their shells and still alive), check. Sea cucumber, check. Shiokara (fermented salty squid), check. I’ve encountered some of the grossest edible things I’ve ever seen, but stuck to my goal, tried not to think about the slimy mess in front of me, and ate the new food.
To up the ante on my food challenge, I told myself that I would eat every dish that was served in kyuushoku (school lunch). The main reason I took this challenge is that I think it sets a good example for the kids, who are made to sit at the lunch table until they finish every bite of their food. Usually, completing my goal isn’t a chore at all. I’ve had some of the most delicious meals I’ve ever encountered in Japan served to me in the lunchroom at school. But it hasn’t all been easy. I’m not a fan of shishamo (pregnant smelt fish) which are eaten with head, eyes, tail, bones…everything, intact. As unappealing as shishamo is to me, I still manage to eat all of them when they are served in the school lunch.
Unfortunately, my undefeated school lunch record has come to an end.
- Michelle Lynn Dinh
Sep 10, 2012
There’s nothing worse than sitting down to enjoy a big slice of your favorite cake, only to feel the unpleasant crunch of an egg shell between your teeth. Well, what if your entire cake was baked in an egg shell?
One of our reporters has cleverly devised a way to cook a cake inside an egg! She’s got a cute idea, but I prefer my cake eggshell-free, no matter where the eggshell ends up.
If you’d like to try your hand at making an egg cake, have a look at her recipe and commentary:
- Basement Jaxx’s bizarre Japan-based music video freaks us out, makes us want to dance1
- That awkward moment when your phone rings on live TV… and then you make it worse 【Video】2
- Hairy armpit selfies have invaded China’s biggest social networking platform【Photos】3
- From Sailor Moon to Freddy Krueger – The lovely cosplayers of Wonder Festival4
- Blogger’s silly video of types of dancers at Singapore clubs is trending in Japan5
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker6
- New video from Wagakki Band “Hanabi” is an original, awesome song【J-Tunes】7
- Chiro the corgi talks, shakes hands, wiggles her bootie, and wins our hearts8
- Pikachus overrunning Yokohama in the cutest rodent invasion ever 【Video】9
- Live-action Attack on Titan confirmed for 2 films10
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight1
- 16-year-old girl arrested for beheading classmate in Japan’s Nagasaki Prefecture2
- This watermelon might be the most disappointing thing you see today3
- Gamer discovers his deceased father’s ghost on an old Xbox game, challenges it to a race4
- Internet survey sheds light on how Japanese women deal with the hair ‘down there’5
- Vietnamese man, angry at wife, hatches bizarre revenge scheme: Cut off his own penis6
- What turned Tokyo Disneyland into the Loneliest Place on Earth last weekend?7
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker8
- These four Siberian Huskies probably have more followers than you on Instagram!9
- 10 obscure Japanese vending machine drinks that fly under the beverage radar10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】6
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight7
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land8
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic9
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】9
- This amazing water cake just may be the most delicate sweet ever created!10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- New video from Wagakki Band “Hanabi” is an original, awesome song【J-Tunes】
- Chiro the corgi talks, shakes hands, wiggles her bootie, and wins our hearts
- Pikachus overrunning Yokohama in the cutest rodent invasion ever 【Video】
- Live-action Attack on Titan confirmed for 2 films
- Whiskey shaved ice: A frozen treat for adults in Kyoto
- Man in China steps into “royal rumble” to save the day, maybe goes a bit too far【Video】
- Ryokan etiquette: What not to do when staying at a traditional Japanese inn
- Sumida River Fireworks Festival aftermath: Not everyone in Japan has perfect manners after all
- How to make your own Pikachu Burgers!【RocketKitchen】
- What turned Tokyo Disneyland into the Loneliest Place on Earth last weekend?
- Amazing Game Boy smartphone wallpaper brings out the Nintendo fanboy in us all
- Are you a solo dining expert? Rank yourself with this Korean “lone diner guide”!