Guys, are you scrambling to find a romantic White Day gift by March 14? If you want something a bit more classy to go along with your donuts or gummy udon, then maybe you should try this easy, do-it-yourself gift idea (and you’ll even get bonus points since it’s homemade!). Our sister site Pouch ran an article yesterday about how to make your very own dried flower bouquet in a matter of minutes. It’s a perfect present to surprise your friend with on a birthday or special occasion, too. Of course, the best part is that the flowers won’t fade away, so you can enjoy them and the memory for a long time. Plus, you’ll be shocked at just how easy it is!
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Mar 2, 2014
Just as people in Japan have finally recovered from the horror that is Valentine’s Day, with chocolate given purely out of obligation and sweets with an added “personal” ingredient, here comes White Day to stress everyone out again. And as the custom goes, all men who received chocolate from a lady in February must give even more chocolate or other gifts come March 14th.
Luckily, Krispy Kreme Japan seems to be a fountain of White Day gift ideas, starting off with their handy guide to turning a doughnut into a beautiful piece of edible jewelry. The company has also unveiled a limited edition “White Day Box” that comes with two doughnuts. Krispy Kreme has even chosen the most popular flavors amongst women, so even if you don’t know the intended recipient, your gift will most likely be a hit…and come on, who doesn’t like sweet circles of fried dough?
With Valentine’s Day over and done with, White Day (14 March) is just around the corner. This is the day in Japan where men are obliged to return the gifts of Valentine’s Day chocolates to the women who gifted them, or else send a clear message that the feeling isn’t mutual by not bothering.
However, many guys have trouble choosing the right gifts for women, so Krispy Kreme Japan is holding a special workshop to teach an exclusive group of guys how to make romantic gifts out of their donuts.
With 3-D printers and scanners becoming ever more affordable, it’s great to see creatives turning their previously unrealised ideas into reality. Not wanting to be outdone by the face-shaped Valentine’s Day chocolates doled out by Japan’s ladies this Valentine’s Day, the clever people at coffee house and creative workshop FabCafe in Tokyo have come up with the perfect gift for men to give this White Day: personalized gummy men.
Mar 7, 2013
With White Day little over a week away, thousands of men in Japan are currently feeling the heat. Having received gifts from their loved ones on Valentine’s Day, it’s now time to return the favour by buying their sweetheart something that simultaneously says “thank you” while acting as a token of their affections.
But when most men think of the words “great gift”, they often envisage things like video games or iPad-controlled helicopters, and the chances of such items going down well with their wives or girlfriends are slim to none.
Thankfully, help is at hand! Available at Tokyo’s Tokyu Hands department store, the White Day Concierge service is designed to help male shoppers on the hunt for a romantic gift find something that their other half may actually like, rather than just a female Tenga toy with a ribbon tied around it and the promise of a shoulder rub.
- Video of guy giving pandas medicine is insanely cute, unless you’re the guy1
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked2
- We still don’t feel bad for you, Emperor: Photos of actors and their historical counterparts3
- Worst date ever! Japan’s ladies reveal the top five date ideas to avoid4
- “Don’t play for more than an hour a day”: Japanese video game master gives great advice5
- Real version of Lotteria’s five-patty cheeseburger doesn’t look nearly as glorious as the ads6
- 35 fascinating photos of Korea from 100 years ago (before K-dramas took over Asia)7
- Mickey men: All-male trips to Tokyo Disneyland are on the rise in Japan8
- Superheroes, furry creatures, and Hello Kitty’s friend all get in on the kabe-don action9
- Less is more as bakery starts selling bags of delicious melon bread crusts minus the bread10
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked1
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls2
- Why does Engrish happen in Japan?3
- We still don’t feel bad for you, Emperor: Photos of actors and their historical counterparts4
- The 10 best anime of the fall season, according to Japanese otaku5
- Somebody turned a Disney Channel cartoon into an anime and it’s pretty awesome6
- Clever font sneaks pronunciation guide for English speakers into Japanese katakana characters7
- Beautiful old footage shows “God of Judo” Kyuzo Mifune gracefully defeat young challengers【Video】8
- Awesome Air Umbrella from China keeps you dry with blasts of air9
- Chinese woman’s catty comeback to Korean colleague gets netizens talking10
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】1
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China2
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked3
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea4
- Watch liquid turn into food at Japanese sample food factory 【Videos】5
- Japanese mothers react to being called by their first names after years of just being “Mama”6
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked7
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls8
- “Beautiful foreigner walking a polar bear” spotted at Shibuya’s famous crossing9
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls10
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】1
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star2
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls3
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】4
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China5
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later6
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady10
- Real version of Lotteria’s five-patty cheeseburger doesn’t look nearly as glorious as the ads
- 35 fascinating photos of Korea from 100 years ago (before K-dramas took over Asia)
- Mickey men: All-male trips to Tokyo Disneyland are on the rise in Japan
- Superheroes, furry creatures, and Hello Kitty’s friend all get in on the kabe-don action
- Less is more as bakery starts selling bags of delicious melon bread crusts minus the bread
- 【PSA】Knock knock! Check your car, save a cat
- Small-you-can-eat: Japanese netizens are not happy with Denny’s new endless pancakes offer
- Chinese President Xi Jinping: ‘No more weird architecture’
- Spoil your pet rotten with this comfy bed and blanket that looks fit for a king!
- Ten things we learned at USJ: A muggle’s guide to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- Korean stylist’s secret to volumizing your hair in just five minutes! 【Video】
- Has a Japanese company found the fountain of youth? One man’s youthful skin suggests so
- Robot rebellion begins with a cranky Roomba, Internet users too busy laughing to fight back