Guys, are you scrambling to find a romantic White Day gift by March 14? If you want something a bit more classy to go along with your donuts or gummy udon, then maybe you should try this easy, do-it-yourself gift idea (and you’ll even get bonus points since it’s homemade!). Our sister site Pouch ran an article yesterday about how to make your very own dried flower bouquet in a matter of minutes. It’s a perfect present to surprise your friend with on a birthday or special occasion, too. Of course, the best part is that the flowers won’t fade away, so you can enjoy them and the memory for a long time. Plus, you’ll be shocked at just how easy it is!
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Mar 2, 2014
Just as people in Japan have finally recovered from the horror that is Valentine’s Day, with chocolate given purely out of obligation and sweets with an added “personal” ingredient, here comes White Day to stress everyone out again. And as the custom goes, all men who received chocolate from a lady in February must give even more chocolate or other gifts come March 14th.
Luckily, Krispy Kreme Japan seems to be a fountain of White Day gift ideas, starting off with their handy guide to turning a doughnut into a beautiful piece of edible jewelry. The company has also unveiled a limited edition “White Day Box” that comes with two doughnuts. Krispy Kreme has even chosen the most popular flavors amongst women, so even if you don’t know the intended recipient, your gift will most likely be a hit…and come on, who doesn’t like sweet circles of fried dough?
With Valentine’s Day over and done with, White Day (14 March) is just around the corner. This is the day in Japan where men are obliged to return the gifts of Valentine’s Day chocolates to the women who gifted them, or else send a clear message that the feeling isn’t mutual by not bothering.
However, many guys have trouble choosing the right gifts for women, so Krispy Kreme Japan is holding a special workshop to teach an exclusive group of guys how to make romantic gifts out of their donuts.
With 3-D printers and scanners becoming ever more affordable, it’s great to see creatives turning their previously unrealised ideas into reality. Not wanting to be outdone by the face-shaped Valentine’s Day chocolates doled out by Japan’s ladies this Valentine’s Day, the clever people at coffee house and creative workshop FabCafe in Tokyo have come up with the perfect gift for men to give this White Day: personalized gummy men.
Mar 7, 2013
With White Day little over a week away, thousands of men in Japan are currently feeling the heat. Having received gifts from their loved ones on Valentine’s Day, it’s now time to return the favour by buying their sweetheart something that simultaneously says “thank you” while acting as a token of their affections.
But when most men think of the words “great gift”, they often envisage things like video games or iPad-controlled helicopters, and the chances of such items going down well with their wives or girlfriends are slim to none.
Thankfully, help is at hand! Available at Tokyo’s Tokyu Hands department store, the White Day Concierge service is designed to help male shoppers on the hunt for a romantic gift find something that their other half may actually like, rather than just a female Tenga toy with a ribbon tied around it and the promise of a shoulder rub.
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!1
- Japanese mothers react to being called by their first names after years of just being “Mama”2
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】3
- Tokyo adding free Wi-Fi to 143 subway stations for foreign travelers4
- Does the way you cross your arms say anything about your personality? Japan thinks so5
- Zelda hero Link’s other blade, the Fierce Deity Sword, brought to life in awesome video6
- Anime-loving mum takes kyara-ben to a new level with these well-drawn anime bentos7
- Doting owner builds cosy kotatsu for cats, faces the sting of feline rejection【Photos】8
- Press as hard as you like, these new mechanical pencils just refuse to break9
- Yokohama restaurant serves fried axolotl, along with giant isopod, camel, and crocodile10
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours1
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer2
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute3
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters4
- Turn an ordinary balloon into a smartphone case in seconds with this neat trick5
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!6
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world7
- Does the way you cross your arms say anything about your personality? Japan thinks so8
- Can you spot the problem that led to the recall of this otherwise cute Japanese New Year’s card?9
- Live-action Attack on Titan posters show new characters and weapons, plus one huge absence10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises5
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit6
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make7
- One Piece manga sends off Naruto with a classy secret message8
- Clever Japanese pet owners find perfect cat beds…at IKEA! 【Photos】9
- Just a bunch of adorable cats riding on trains in Japan10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher3
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”4
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】5
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China6
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later7
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea10
- Zelda hero Link’s other blade, the Fierce Deity Sword, brought to life in awesome video
- Anime-loving mum takes kyara-ben to a new level with these well-drawn anime bentos
- Doting owner builds cosy kotatsu for cats, faces the sting of feline rejection【Photos】
- Press as hard as you like, these new mechanical pencils just refuse to break
- Yokohama restaurant serves fried axolotl, along with giant isopod, camel, and crocodile
- The newer, cheaper Kakureya II: The perfect secret fort/box for studying, drinking, or napping
- Shimotsuki Matsuri: The extraordinary winter festival that inspired Ghibli’s ‘Spirited Away’
- 3-D green tea latte art adds a splash of whimsy and color to your cup
- Creepy or cute? Feel the Panda Train’s intense gaze before sightseeing in resort town Shirahama
- Laser-cut, 360-degree “book” lets you bring Mt. Fuji into your home
- Japan is doing what people do best with fallen leaves: playing with them【Photos】
- Online survey reveals the types of guys elementary school girls DON’T want to date
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world