Guys, are you scrambling to find a romantic White Day gift by March 14? If you want something a bit more classy to go along with your donuts or gummy udon, then maybe you should try this easy, do-it-yourself gift idea (and you’ll even get bonus points since it’s homemade!). Our sister site Pouch ran an article yesterday about how to make your very own dried flower bouquet in a matter of minutes. It’s a perfect present to surprise your friend with on a birthday or special occasion, too. Of course, the best part is that the flowers won’t fade away, so you can enjoy them and the memory for a long time. Plus, you’ll be shocked at just how easy it is!
- Michelle Lynn Dinh
Mar 2, 2014
Just as people in Japan have finally recovered from the horror that is Valentine’s Day, with chocolate given purely out of obligation and sweets with an added “personal” ingredient, here comes White Day to stress everyone out again. And as the custom goes, all men who received chocolate from a lady in February must give even more chocolate or other gifts come March 14th.
Luckily, Krispy Kreme Japan seems to be a fountain of White Day gift ideas, starting off with their handy guide to turning a doughnut into a beautiful piece of edible jewelry. The company has also unveiled a limited edition “White Day Box” that comes with two doughnuts. Krispy Kreme has even chosen the most popular flavors amongst women, so even if you don’t know the intended recipient, your gift will most likely be a hit…and come on, who doesn’t like sweet circles of fried dough?
With Valentine’s Day over and done with, White Day (14 March) is just around the corner. This is the day in Japan where men are obliged to return the gifts of Valentine’s Day chocolates to the women who gifted them, or else send a clear message that the feeling isn’t mutual by not bothering.
However, many guys have trouble choosing the right gifts for women, so Krispy Kreme Japan is holding a special workshop to teach an exclusive group of guys how to make romantic gifts out of their donuts.
With 3-D printers and scanners becoming ever more affordable, it’s great to see creatives turning their previously unrealised ideas into reality. Not wanting to be outdone by the face-shaped Valentine’s Day chocolates doled out by Japan’s ladies this Valentine’s Day, the clever people at coffee house and creative workshop FabCafe in Tokyo have come up with the perfect gift for men to give this White Day: personalized gummy men.
- Philip Kendall
Mar 7, 2013
With White Day little over a week away, thousands of men in Japan are currently feeling the heat. Having received gifts from their loved ones on Valentine’s Day, it’s now time to return the favour by buying their sweetheart something that simultaneously says “thank you” while acting as a token of their affections.
But when most men think of the words “great gift”, they often envisage things like video games or iPad-controlled helicopters, and the chances of such items going down well with their wives or girlfriends are slim to none.
Thankfully, help is at hand! Available at Tokyo’s Tokyu Hands department store, the White Day Concierge service is designed to help male shoppers on the hunt for a romantic gift find something that their other half may actually like, rather than just a female Tenga toy with a ribbon tied around it and the promise of a shoulder rub.
- Internet survey sheds light on how Japanese women deal with the hair ‘down there’1
- Beautiful 400-year-old garden in Okayama about to be replaced with condominium complex2
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker3
- Gamer discovers his deceased father’s ghost on an old Xbox game, challenges it to a race4
- Nara’s deer continue their summertime tradition of commandeering one of the city’s streets5
- Five amazing Japanese Starbucks locations that let you keep sightseeing as you take a break6
- Toyokazu Nagano’s “Magic Road” – the funniest, most adorable photos you’ll see today7
- Too hot during the blackout? Cool down with an electric fan, veteran newscaster suggests8
- Raising awareness in the competitive gaming community – two female perspectives9
- Japanese Twitter users report an increase in ninja cat sightings as summer settles in【Photos】10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Creative pet “haircuts”: Funky or funny? You decide.2
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman3
- This man’s face left Chinese internet users in amazement, agony and confusion 【Photos】4
- Gamer discovers his deceased father’s ghost on an old Xbox game, challenges it to a race5
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old to raise her to be his “ideal girl”6
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!7
- Internet survey sheds light on how Japanese women deal with the hair ‘down there’8
- More than one way to skin a cat? Japanese YouTuber shows how to “open” a cat with belly rubs9
- Is Attack on Titan a documentary? Mikasa spotted in Russia!10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】6
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land7
- 16 photos that show why Singapore has the world’s best airline8
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic9
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- What if Sailor Moon characters were lingerie models? They’d look stunning like this 【Photos】9
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】10
- Five amazing Japanese Starbucks locations that let you keep sightseeing as you take a break
- Toyokazu Nagano’s “Magic Road” – the funniest, most adorable photos you’ll see today
- Too hot during the blackout? Cool down with an electric fan, veteran newscaster suggests
- Raising awareness in the competitive gaming community – two female perspectives
- Japanese Twitter users report an increase in ninja cat sightings as summer settles in【Photos】
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!
- Actress/sexpert Aya Sugimoto founds organization for animal welfare in Japan
- Godzilla looms over Tokyo garden
- International survey finds that 90% are open to a romantic encounter with a Korean partner
- Run For Your Lives! Zombie-infested obstacle course heading to Singapore this October【Video】
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman
- Korean drama advances slap technology with ancient Korean recipe
- Japanese critic shares his (kinda weird) views on Japanese vs Western adult entertainment
- “Black Cat” delivery company uses pawprint gloves to ensure packages are handled with cute