There’s something to be said for keeping up appearances and making good impressions, but what underlying defect is this string of apartment buildings trying to hide by painting on pretend windows?! These high-rise housing complexes in China’s Shandong Province aren’t fooling any prospective tenants with their fake windows, so really, what’s the point?
Dec 21, 2012
Earlier this year North Korea attempted a rocket launch which they claimed was intended to launch a satellite in honor of the new leader Kim Jong-Un. Many around the globe, however, condemned it as missile testing.
The launch failed, but more embarrassing was the footage released showing the control center, which revealed rows of what looked like computers straight out of a 1960’s sci-fi movie.
However, last week, the reportedly successful rocket launch also revealed a significant upgrade to the foundation of the technology driving North Korean space program’s. In a video released to the media the control center could be seen using…Windows XP.
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Dec 2, 2012
Now, there’s a transparent “itaPC,” or “pain PC,” featuring the official, Japan-exclusive Windows 8-themed “moe” mascots, Yuu and Ai Madobe.
Nov 22, 2012
Microsoft Japan is getting serious about their anthropomorphic operating systems.
Until recently, these characters, also known as OS-tans, were nothing more than unofficial fan-made creations. However, as we saw last month with the popularity of the Windows 8 DSP edition, Microsoft has begun to embrace their anime mascots, perhaps realizing their marketing potential among the otaku, or nerd, demographic. And now, for the first time ever, Microsoft will be delving into the belly of the beast and running a booth at Japan’s largest comic book convention, Comic Market.
On October 29, Microsoft Corp Chief Executive Steve Ballmer said that since its release on Friday, Windows 8 has been selling at a higher rate than Windows 7, the best-selling version of Windows to date.
Despite confusion over alleged magic touch screen-imbuing capabilities, Windows 8 seems to be doing well in Japan as well— so well, in fact, that limited-quantity DSP editions of the operating system, which feature two unofficial Windows 8-themed “moe” mascots, are already beginning to sell out, proving once again that the Japanese will buy anything with a cute anime girl on it (not that there was a lack evidence).
Oct 9, 2012
The University of Tokyo Research Center for Advanced Science and Technology (known as “RCAST” for short、thankfully!), in conjunction with Microsoft Japan, has launched trials of new a computer program that utilise Microsoft’s Kinect for Windows technology as a way for physically disabled people to communicate and interact with computers.
For the uninitiated, Kinect is a motion-sensing camera designed for Microsoft’s Xbox 360 console and Windows PCs that tracks users’ body movements and is capable of recognising voice commands. The technology first became available for Xbox users just under two years ago, with Microsoft heralding a new age of gameplay where “you are the controller”, seeing users flapping around their living-rooms like maniacs to control their video games.
While games that utilise Kinect well have been few and far between, it would seem that the technology, once intended as a competitor to Nintendo’s popular Wii console, could soon be changing disabled people’s lives for the better.
- Shocking, snowy commercial is the saddest ad we’ve seen this fall1
- New app helps you translate Japanese and Chinese offline using smartphone camera2
- Korean cosplayer’s gender-bending costumes confuse us for a moment, then leave us mesmerized3
- Cats trapped in circles! Japanese blogger shows the best way to outsmart your kitty【Photos】4
- New smartphone game turns your photos of real-world cats into in-game warriors5
- Witness the power a typhoon has over a bag of potato chips in this time-lapse video6
- Yosegi wood craft — amazing in its beautiful simplicity and precision!7
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads8
- Don’t turn your back. Don’t look away. And don’t blink.9
- Photos claim to show difference between Chinese and other travelers, somehow show less and more10
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads1
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked2
- Cats trapped in circles! Japanese blogger shows the best way to outsmart your kitty【Photos】3
- We still don’t feel bad for you, Emperor: Photos of actors and their historical counterparts4
- Video of guy giving pandas medicine is insanely cute, unless you’re the guy5
- Japanese net users stunned by photos of Chinese ethnic minority men6
- Is that cute girl’s profile pic really anything like her ‘real’ face?7
- 5 powerful reasons to be a woman in Japan 【Women in Japan Series】8
- New smartphone game turns your photos of real-world cats into in-game warriors9
- Worst date ever! Japan’s ladies reveal the top five date ideas to avoid10
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】1
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China2
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked3
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads4
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked5
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea6
- Watch liquid turn into food at Japanese sample food factory 【Videos】7
- Japanese mothers react to being called by their first names after years of just being “Mama”8
- “Beautiful foreigner walking a polar bear” spotted at Shibuya’s famous crossing9
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls10
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】1
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star2
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls3
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】4
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China5
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later6
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady10
- Witness the power a typhoon has over a bag of potato chips in this time-lapse video
- Yosegi wood craft — amazing in its beautiful simplicity and precision!
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads
- Don’t turn your back. Don’t look away. And don’t blink.
- Photos claim to show difference between Chinese and other travelers, somehow show less and more
- Japanese net users stunned by photos of Chinese ethnic minority men
- Is that cute girl’s profile pic really anything like her ‘real’ face?
- Mini movie theatre seats now on general release, collectors of tiny chairs rejoice
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- Play Mario Kart on your living room floor (using robots!) with this awesome motion camera system
- What’s this Tibetan temple doing in the middle of Japan? We go to find out!
- When a goddess speaks, you listen…unless she’s telling you to kill someone
- The most famous cat in Japan shows us exactly how he fits his chubby body in a box
- 5 powerful reasons to be a woman in Japan 【Women in Japan Series】