There’s something to be said for keeping up appearances and making good impressions, but what underlying defect is this string of apartment buildings trying to hide by painting on pretend windows?! These high-rise housing complexes in China’s Shandong Province aren’t fooling any prospective tenants with their fake windows, so really, what’s the point?
- Master Blaster
Dec 21, 2012
Earlier this year North Korea attempted a rocket launch which they claimed was intended to launch a satellite in honor of the new leader Kim Jong-Un. Many around the globe, however, condemned it as missile testing.
The launch failed, but more embarrassing was the footage released showing the control center, which revealed rows of what looked like computers straight out of a 1960’s sci-fi movie.
However, last week, the reportedly successful rocket launch also revealed a significant upgrade to the foundation of the technology driving North Korean space program’s. In a video released to the media the control center could be seen using…Windows XP.
- Michelle Lynn Dinh
Dec 2, 2012
Now, there’s a transparent “itaPC,” or “pain PC,” featuring the official, Japan-exclusive Windows 8-themed “moe” mascots, Yuu and Ai Madobe.
Nov 22, 2012
Microsoft Japan is getting serious about their anthropomorphic operating systems.
Until recently, these characters, also known as OS-tans, were nothing more than unofficial fan-made creations. However, as we saw last month with the popularity of the Windows 8 DSP edition, Microsoft has begun to embrace their anime mascots, perhaps realizing their marketing potential among the otaku, or nerd, demographic. And now, for the first time ever, Microsoft will be delving into the belly of the beast and running a booth at Japan’s largest comic book convention, Comic Market.
On October 29, Microsoft Corp Chief Executive Steve Ballmer said that since its release on Friday, Windows 8 has been selling at a higher rate than Windows 7, the best-selling version of Windows to date.
Despite confusion over alleged magic touch screen-imbuing capabilities, Windows 8 seems to be doing well in Japan as well— so well, in fact, that limited-quantity DSP editions of the operating system, which feature two unofficial Windows 8-themed “moe” mascots, are already beginning to sell out, proving once again that the Japanese will buy anything with a cute anime girl on it (not that there was a lack evidence).
- Philip Kendall
Oct 9, 2012
The University of Tokyo Research Center for Advanced Science and Technology (known as “RCAST” for short、thankfully!), in conjunction with Microsoft Japan, has launched trials of new a computer program that utilise Microsoft’s Kinect for Windows technology as a way for physically disabled people to communicate and interact with computers.
For the uninitiated, Kinect is a motion-sensing camera designed for Microsoft’s Xbox 360 console and Windows PCs that tracks users’ body movements and is capable of recognising voice commands. The technology first became available for Xbox users just under two years ago, with Microsoft heralding a new age of gameplay where “you are the controller”, seeing users flapping around their living-rooms like maniacs to control their video games.
While games that utilise Kinect well have been few and far between, it would seem that the technology, once intended as a competitor to Nintendo’s popular Wii console, could soon be changing disabled people’s lives for the better.
- Japanese critic shares his (kinda weird) views on Japanese vs Western adult entertainment1
- Gamer discovers his deceased father’s ghost on an old Xbox game, challenges it to a race2
- Toyokazu Nagano’s “Magic Road” – the funniest, most adorable photos you’ll see today3
- 【TBT】Tipping in Japan: Yes, it exists and it’s confusing4
- Pikachu’s dramatic decline in popularity captured in photos5
- Cats transform into bears, bats, and more, impress and enchant Japanese Internet users6
- Five amazing Japanese Starbucks locations that let you keep sightseeing as you take a break7
- Looking for a unique job environment? This could be as unique (and isolated) as it gets in Japan!8
- Summer in China means crazy-crowded pools, which somehow mean fun for some easy-going swimmers9
- Luigi’s ‘death stare’ makes it into Japanese Mario Kart 8 commercial10
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- This man’s face left Chinese internet users in amazement, agony and confusion 【Photos】3
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman4
- Creative pet “haircuts”: Funky or funny? You decide.5
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old to raise her to be his “ideal girl”6
- More than one way to skin a cat? Japanese YouTuber shows how to “open” a cat with belly rubs7
- Is Attack on Titan a documentary? Mikasa spotted in Russia!8
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】9
- 5 amazingly cute cosplayers who you’ll run into at anime conventions10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- 16 photos that show why Singapore has the world’s best airline6
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】7
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land8
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic9
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- What if Sailor Moon characters were lingerie models? They’d look stunning like this 【Photos】9
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】10
- Cats transform into bears, bats, and more, impress and enchant Japanese Internet users
- Five amazing Japanese Starbucks locations that let you keep sightseeing as you take a break
- Looking for a unique job environment? This could be as unique (and isolated) as it gets in Japan!
- Summer in China means crazy-crowded pools, which somehow mean fun for some easy-going swimmers
- Luigi’s ‘death stare’ makes it into Japanese Mario Kart 8 commercial
- Dreamed of living in a “Phil Collins” mansion? Come to Japan and you can!
- This awful woman stealing a little kid’s foul ball will ruin your day
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!
- No peripheral vision – Japan’s gamers sound off on hardware add-on nightmares
- Japanese Twitter users report an increase in ninja cat sightings as summer settles in【Photos】
- Korean drama advances slap technology with ancient Korean recipe