There’s something to be said for keeping up appearances and making good impressions, but what underlying defect is this string of apartment buildings trying to hide by painting on pretend windows?! These high-rise housing complexes in China’s Shandong Province aren’t fooling any prospective tenants with their fake windows, so really, what’s the point?
- Master Blaster
Dec 21, 2012
Earlier this year North Korea attempted a rocket launch which they claimed was intended to launch a satellite in honor of the new leader Kim Jong-Un. Many around the globe, however, condemned it as missile testing.
The launch failed, but more embarrassing was the footage released showing the control center, which revealed rows of what looked like computers straight out of a 1960’s sci-fi movie.
However, last week, the reportedly successful rocket launch also revealed a significant upgrade to the foundation of the technology driving North Korean space program’s. In a video released to the media the control center could be seen using…Windows XP.
- Michelle Lynn Dinh
Dec 2, 2012
Now, there’s a transparent “itaPC,” or “pain PC,” featuring the official, Japan-exclusive Windows 8-themed “moe” mascots, Yuu and Ai Madobe.
Nov 22, 2012
Microsoft Japan is getting serious about their anthropomorphic operating systems.
Until recently, these characters, also known as OS-tans, were nothing more than unofficial fan-made creations. However, as we saw last month with the popularity of the Windows 8 DSP edition, Microsoft has begun to embrace their anime mascots, perhaps realizing their marketing potential among the otaku, or nerd, demographic. And now, for the first time ever, Microsoft will be delving into the belly of the beast and running a booth at Japan’s largest comic book convention, Comic Market.
On October 29, Microsoft Corp Chief Executive Steve Ballmer said that since its release on Friday, Windows 8 has been selling at a higher rate than Windows 7, the best-selling version of Windows to date.
Despite confusion over alleged magic touch screen-imbuing capabilities, Windows 8 seems to be doing well in Japan as well— so well, in fact, that limited-quantity DSP editions of the operating system, which feature two unofficial Windows 8-themed “moe” mascots, are already beginning to sell out, proving once again that the Japanese will buy anything with a cute anime girl on it (not that there was a lack evidence).
- Philip Kendall
Oct 9, 2012
The University of Tokyo Research Center for Advanced Science and Technology (known as “RCAST” for short、thankfully!), in conjunction with Microsoft Japan, has launched trials of new a computer program that utilise Microsoft’s Kinect for Windows technology as a way for physically disabled people to communicate and interact with computers.
For the uninitiated, Kinect is a motion-sensing camera designed for Microsoft’s Xbox 360 console and Windows PCs that tracks users’ body movements and is capable of recognising voice commands. The technology first became available for Xbox users just under two years ago, with Microsoft heralding a new age of gameplay where “you are the controller”, seeing users flapping around their living-rooms like maniacs to control their video games.
While games that utilise Kinect well have been few and far between, it would seem that the technology, once intended as a competitor to Nintendo’s popular Wii console, could soon be changing disabled people’s lives for the better.
- Fending off unwanted Kabe-don: A guide1
- Blogger offers her top four tips for Japanese women dating foreign guys2
- Scammer aborts mission as trolling Line user offers to send cash intended for mother’s operation3
- Digital-age robber epically owned by analog granny at convenience store in Fukuoka4
- BABYMETAL plays first ever US show, bootleg videos leave us wowed5
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!6
- Hairy armpit selfies have invaded China’s biggest social networking platform【Photos】7
- Dashboard camera captures the fear and chaos of Kaohsiung’s deadly gas explosion8
- Pikachus overrunning Yokohama in the cutest rodent invasion ever 【Video】9
- Beautiful when she’s angry? TV series features model yelling at the camera, and nothing else10
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight1
- Peaches packaged in pairs of panties provoke protests in PRC2
- Some flights are more cramped than others – 29 sumo wrestlers pack into one tiny plane3
- 16-year-old girl arrested for beheading classmate in Japan’s Nagasaki Prefecture4
- This watermelon might be the most disappointing thing you see today5
- Hairy armpit selfies have invaded China’s biggest social networking platform【Photos】6
- BABYMETAL plays first ever US show, bootleg videos leave us wowed7
- Guitarist perfectly recreates disgraced Japanese politician’s uncontrollable sobbing【Video】8
- Pikachus overrunning Yokohama in the cutest rodent invasion ever 【Video】9
- Japanese farmer uses terrifying scarecrow, traumatizes children10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!4
- Guitarist perfectly recreates disgraced Japanese politician’s uncontrollable sobbing【Video】5
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】6
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight7
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land8
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic9
- Peaches packaged in pairs of panties provoke protests in PRC10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】9
- This amazing water cake just may be the most delicate sweet ever created!10
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!
- Hairy armpit selfies have invaded China’s biggest social networking platform【Photos】
- Dashboard camera captures the fear and chaos of Kaohsiung’s deadly gas explosion
- Pikachus overrunning Yokohama in the cutest rodent invasion ever 【Video】
- Beautiful when she’s angry? TV series features model yelling at the camera, and nothing else
- Don’t judge a cat by its back, it’ll catch you unaware and send you into a giggling fit!
- Spongebob and friends get stunning human makeovers, are surprisingly eye-candylicious!【Pics】
- How to properly pronounce “Ghibli” and other fun trivia about the legendary animation studio
- Peaches packaged in pairs of panties provoke protests in PRC
- Promotion offers perfect one-week living space for otaku: An apartment pre-stocked with manga
- McDonald’s Japan just released Tofu Nuggets, and they taste… 【Taste Test】
- Attack on Titan and Evangelion coming to Universal Studios Japan
- This Pikachu x Miffy figurine is far too cute for its own good
- Japanese farmer uses terrifying scarecrow, traumatizes children