This compilation of the makeup transformations of Japanese girls has sparked debate on whether anyone shows their ‘real’ face on the internet any more, and just what counts as a ‘real’ face these days anyway. Read on to see more of the startling power of makeup and good lighting, and find out the point these women are trying to make.
Oct 21, 2014
There’s no doubt that beauty standards change with the times–just compare the “beauties” from Renaissance paintings to any fashion magazine today. As “beauty” is no more set in stone than culture, it’s hardly surprising that there have been changes over the years. But it’s easy to forget that our contemporary standards haven’t always existed–and even easier to be bewildered by old photos. Nothing emphasizes this difference as much as the recent appearance of photos comparing actors from contemporary Chinese TV dramas and photos of their actual historical counterparts.
Check out this video by Off the Great Wall, a YouTube channel run by two Asian Americans, to get a glimpse of Chinese royalty on TV and in reality.
Hayashi 'Fang' Hougi
Oct 10, 2014
A kind Japanese netizen has compiled a list of hobbies based on their respective difficulty and how much they would appeal to women for the benefit of all mankind. We felt you might appreciate the info, so decided to share with you the kind of hobbies that are considered attractive to Japanese women (at least according to the creator of this chart!), as well as those that not only require a lot of time and effort but may in fact be a big turn-off for some.
If you’re looking for a Japanese girlfriend, perhaps it’s time to take up a new hobby. Or maybe ditch your old one!
Sep 25, 2014
OK, ladies: imagine you’re taking a moonlit walk with the object of your affections. Or maybe you’re dining at a fancy restaurant with your dream date, or cuddling together on a blanket in a field with no one else in sight. All of a sudden, your crush leans in close, looks deeply into your eyes, and whispers, “You’re mine.” What do you do?
If you’re the type who would immediately blush and feel your heart beating at a quickened pace, you’ll probably enjoy the following list of 30 things women want to be told. The list has recently been circulating around Japanese social media sites recently, leaving sparkly, flower petal-filled puddles of shojo manga sappiness oozing in its wake. If, however, you’re of a slightly more cynical disposition, you should also enjoy the compilation, but instead for its value to induce a good chortle.
Don’t worry, because whichever type you are, we promise not to judge!
Yeah, yeah, here comes another article about plastic surgery in South Korea. But this time there’s an international twist to it–the story is about two Thai women who received plastic surgery on a Korean TV program.
As reported by Coconuts Bangkok, the September 4 episode of Korean show Let Me In featured a pair of Thai women who received several cosmetic surgery treatments for free and which followed the entire surgerical process from start to finish. The women’s transformed faces were revealed to the public for the first time at the end of the episode. How do you think their procedures turned out?
Sep 4, 2014
In Japan, there are currently 3,440 female inmates confined to seven correctional facilities which all together are built to hold 3,342 women. These statistics come from a spokesperson for the newly opened Saijo branch of Matsuyama Prison, which was built to address this overcrowding problem.
The new prison reportedly offers various facilities and services to cater to women’s needs, but most striking by far are the doors, barred windows and furniture all over the penitentiary, which appear to have been painted a soft pink color, as if to remind the inmates that they’re ladies first and convicted criminals second.
Jul 23, 2014
China’s World Metropolis Center (WMC) has become the center of controversy recently over their decision to lay out 10 parking spaces intended for women only. As a result, what we assume was a well-intentioned gesture by the shopping center has seemed to upset some people online drawing cries of discrimination. On the other hand, visitors to the mall seemed pleased with the initiative.
Jun 20, 2014
Men of the world, have you been prioritizing World Cup matches over your wives and girlfriends recently?
Earlier this month in China, a group of women got together and took off their “soccer balls” in order to cheer up their fellow female counterparts who have been neglected by their husbands and boyfriends. We have no idea if that makes any sense, but here’s how it looks!
What’s that you say? A survey that polled Japanese women about two of the country’s most popular anime series? I wonder what kind of questions they asked! Maybe we can learn how Japanese audiences feel about the female characters in Gundam! And does Shinsekai Evangelion really offer a “radical solution to the socio-environmental curses of patriarchy“? Maybe they’ll talk about female otaku being under-represented in mainstream media! And whether the word “otaku” still carries negative connotations…
But wait! Oh. What? This survey only has one question! “What kind of men do you like better”, the pollsters asked, “guys who like Evangelion, or guys who are Gundam fans?” Oh.
May 30, 2014
It is common to see store assistants or sales representatives of apparel brands dressed in clothing from their own brand when they are on duty. This not only allows the staff to experience the fit and feel of their own products, it gives customers a view on what the clothes look like on a real moving human instead of a stiff mannequin. Lingerie makers, however, can’t expect their store assistants to parade around in undergarments. Or can they?
A Chinese woman who runs a lingerie shop was spotted posing and strutting about in her undies like a real-life mannequin for her store! More pictures after the break!
Are you a Japanese girl? Are you terrified that your implausibly popular foreign boyfriend might run off after one of those other girls that are constantly throwing themselves at him? Japanese website Madame Riri has come up with a whistle-stop guide to things Japanese girls do that make foreign guys back off. Avoid these pitfalls, and you too can have a fairytale ending with your Price Charming… Apparently. Let’s see what they came up with!
May 23, 2014
Since its first performance 100 years ago, Japan’s Takarazuka Revue has been the country’s most respected theater company. While the troupe is known for its lavish costume and set designs, as well as its bombastic musical performances, its most distinctive characteristic is that the group is composed entirely of actresses, with women playing both male and female roles.
To their fans, Takarazuka actresses are the epitome of grace and poise. There are a lot of pitfalls that have to be avoided to maintain that pristine image, though, as shown by the company’s list of the 25 marks of ugly women.
The media usually likes to give advice to men for impressing all the women out there. But what you don’t normally hear about is whether those tips actually work or not. Some commonly held beliefs may actually be nothing but misconceptions.
Japanese website Niconico News ran an article about three such tactics that men believe will help them attract the ladies…which will actually backfire on them, at least according to the ladies themselves. If you’re reading this and you’re a man, you may want to take note, or else you could make a serious blunder next time you’re trying to impress your date.
To all of our lovely women readers out there – have you ever felt betrayed by another female friend? Perhaps you were deceived and taken advantage of. Perhaps the coworker you trusted as your confidant was surreptitiously spreading scandalous rumors about you behind your back. Whatever the situation was, it was sure to have been an unpleasant experience.
A recent survey on popular Japanese site Mynavi Woman asked its female readers the same question as above. Dozens of women shed light about backstabbing friends and unbelievable scenes from the past. Have any of the following situations ever happened to you?
Mar 1, 2014
Back when I was an irksome, irritable teenager, I used to take issue with the fact that my mother would talk about “the girls at work” when in fact most of them were approaching 50. To me, a 14-year-old with copies of FHM stashed under his bed and enough testosterone and sexual frustration to make his eyes water, a “girl” was either someone my friends and I would whisper about at school or whichever scantily clad celebrity happened to be on the cover of said cheeky magazine each month.
Thankfully, now 31 and my hormones having settled down a bit, I’m able to appreciate that whether or not we label someone a “girl” really depends on the person in question, and dare I say it some of my mother’s (slightly younger) colleagues would no doubt get the nod of approval from both me and my old school friends if we had the pleasure of meeting them. But a recent question posted on Japan’s Oshiete! goo, a Q&A site not unlike Yahoo! Answers, asking where we draw the line between “girl” and “woman”, or rather “joshi” and “josei” in Japanese, has sparked quite the debate online, with some proposing that age 40 is the cut-off point while others believe “joshi” ends at 20.
So, you’ve probably heard that cosmetic surgery is common in South Korea. Considering its popularity, it’s hard to deny that going under the knife seems fundamentally appealing to a large group of people. And, hey, if you’re happy, we’re happy, right?
But cosmetic surgery has become so popular in South Korea that a few articles about “top ten natural Korean beauties” have recently become a hot topic in Taiwanese media, drawing the attention of microblogging Internet commenters. Unfortunately, it looks like the commenters weren’t ready to accept the women’s untouched beauty. Check out how heated the discussion got below!
In celebration of the Lunar New Year, one women’s prison in China decided to put on a fashion show featuring members of both the prison population and the guards. Fortunately, it ended up being more Glee than Shawshank Redemption and earned media attention even across the sea in Japan.
Check out some photos of the event below!
Like it or not, porn is without a doubt one of the largest industries in the world. You can often find it entirely by accident simply by entering the wrong (or right?) search terms into Google–even with Safe Search turned on! But if we’re being completely honest, it really seems like the industry is a bit one-sided. After all, when you imagine a non-specific someone watching porn, you probably picture a man alone in a dark room clicking furiously around the Internet.
But things are starting to change in Japan, thanks to a few enterprising “adult-oriented” companies who are targeting females.
Jan 29, 2014
Japan and China are well known for their almost constant bickering. Whether it’s a debate about some past wrongdoing or squabbling over rocks located hundreds of miles out to sea, the pair are seemingly always having a spat about something or other.
This week, a list of 14 purported differences between Chinese and Japanese women – allegedly written by a Chinese national – appeared online. While outlining everything from sex and extramarital affairs to respect for their partners’ parents and money matters, the list casts Chinese women in such a poor light that, as one Weibo user also suggested, we almost wonder whether it was created entirely to put the cat among the pigeons and have Chinese and Japanese net users at each other’s throats.
Last week a twitter user posted a chart that they saw on morning television. The show was running a special on large-sized women and classified two types: “OK Chubby” and “NG Chubby” (No Good Chubby). Once put online many overweight twitterers found the show’s infographic both a little controversial and a little sad.
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours1
- The weirder the better? These Japanese zakka are hot sellers in Korea2
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute3
- Our Japanese reporter visits an American sushi restaurant in Japan4
- “We don’t want to be girls. We just want to be cute!” The future of crossdressing in Osaka5
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters6
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer7
- The top 10 spots in Tokyo to make an anime pilgrimage8
- Question reveals how foreigners feel about speaking Japanese, getting English in return9
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world10
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours1
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world2
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer3
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters4
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make5
- Japanese sleep experts say we’ve been using our blankets wrong, help us hate winter a little less6
- Budding Japanese student artists impress us with chalkboard works of art7
- Live-action Attack on Titan posters show new characters and weapons, plus one huge absence8
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute9
- Controversial pick-up artist breaks silence as campaign against him continues10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises5
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit6
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make7
- One Piece manga sends off Naruto with a classy secret message8
- Clever Japanese pet owners find perfect cat beds…at IKEA! 【Photos】9
- Just a bunch of adorable cats riding on trains in Japan10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher3
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”4
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】5
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China6
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later7
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons8
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea9
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked10
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer
- The top 10 spots in Tokyo to make an anime pilgrimage
- Question reveals how foreigners feel about speaking Japanese, getting English in return
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world
- “Common habits of Japan’s low earners”: What this survey tells us, and what it doesn’t
- Who knew frozen apples could taste so good!: Simple dessert recipe for the diet-conscious
- Japan slowly begins to openly discuss crossdressing men in heterosexual relationships
- Live-action Attack on Titan posters show new characters and weapons, plus one huge absence
- Stand back, kids! 64-year-old enka singer Aki Yashiro completely nails cover of Evangelion theme
- The Tokyo bar where servers are princes, customers are princesses… and everyone’s a girl
- Can you spot the problem that led to the recall of this otherwise cute Japanese New Year’s card?
- Japanese dictionary removes heteronormative definitions of love and sex