This compilation of the makeup transformations of Japanese girls has sparked debate on whether anyone shows their ‘real’ face on the internet any more, and just what counts as a ‘real’ face these days anyway. Read on to see more of the startling power of makeup and good lighting, and find out the point these women are trying to make.
5 days ago
There’s no doubt that beauty standards change with the times–just compare the “beauties” from Renaissance paintings to any fashion magazine today. As “beauty” is no more set in stone than culture, it’s hardly surprising that there have been changes over the years. But it’s easy to forget that our contemporary standards haven’t always existed–and even easier to be bewildered by old photos. Nothing emphasizes this difference as much as the recent appearance of photos comparing actors from contemporary Chinese TV dramas and photos of their actual historical counterparts.
Check out this video by Off the Great Wall, a YouTube channel run by two Asian Americans, to get a glimpse of Chinese royalty on TV and in reality.
Hayashi 'Fang' Hougi
Oct 10, 2014
A kind Japanese netizen has compiled a list of hobbies based on their respective difficulty and how much they would appeal to women for the benefit of all mankind. We felt you might appreciate the info, so decided to share with you the kind of hobbies that are considered attractive to Japanese women (at least according to the creator of this chart!), as well as those that not only require a lot of time and effort but may in fact be a big turn-off for some.
If you’re looking for a Japanese girlfriend, perhaps it’s time to take up a new hobby. Or maybe ditch your old one!
Sep 25, 2014
OK, ladies: imagine you’re taking a moonlit walk with the object of your affections. Or maybe you’re dining at a fancy restaurant with your dream date, or cuddling together on a blanket in a field with no one else in sight. All of a sudden, your crush leans in close, looks deeply into your eyes, and whispers, “You’re mine.” What do you do?
If you’re the type who would immediately blush and feel your heart beating at a quickened pace, you’ll probably enjoy the following list of 30 things women want to be told. The list has recently been circulating around Japanese social media sites recently, leaving sparkly, flower petal-filled puddles of shojo manga sappiness oozing in its wake. If, however, you’re of a slightly more cynical disposition, you should also enjoy the compilation, but instead for its value to induce a good chortle.
Don’t worry, because whichever type you are, we promise not to judge!
Yeah, yeah, here comes another article about plastic surgery in South Korea. But this time there’s an international twist to it–the story is about two Thai women who received plastic surgery on a Korean TV program.
As reported by Coconuts Bangkok, the September 4 episode of Korean show Let Me In featured a pair of Thai women who received several cosmetic surgery treatments for free and which followed the entire surgerical process from start to finish. The women’s transformed faces were revealed to the public for the first time at the end of the episode. How do you think their procedures turned out?
Sep 4, 2014
In Japan, there are currently 3,440 female inmates confined to seven correctional facilities which all together are built to hold 3,342 women. These statistics come from a spokesperson for the newly opened Saijo branch of Matsuyama Prison, which was built to address this overcrowding problem.
The new prison reportedly offers various facilities and services to cater to women’s needs, but most striking by far are the doors, barred windows and furniture all over the penitentiary, which appear to have been painted a soft pink color, as if to remind the inmates that they’re ladies first and convicted criminals second.
Jul 23, 2014
China’s World Metropolis Center (WMC) has become the center of controversy recently over their decision to lay out 10 parking spaces intended for women only. As a result, what we assume was a well-intentioned gesture by the shopping center has seemed to upset some people online drawing cries of discrimination. On the other hand, visitors to the mall seemed pleased with the initiative.
Jun 20, 2014
Men of the world, have you been prioritizing World Cup matches over your wives and girlfriends recently?
Earlier this month in China, a group of women got together and took off their “soccer balls” in order to cheer up their fellow female counterparts who have been neglected by their husbands and boyfriends. We have no idea if that makes any sense, but here’s how it looks!
What’s that you say? A survey that polled Japanese women about two of the country’s most popular anime series? I wonder what kind of questions they asked! Maybe we can learn how Japanese audiences feel about the female characters in Gundam! And does Shinsekai Evangelion really offer a “radical solution to the socio-environmental curses of patriarchy“? Maybe they’ll talk about female otaku being under-represented in mainstream media! And whether the word “otaku” still carries negative connotations…
But wait! Oh. What? This survey only has one question! “What kind of men do you like better”, the pollsters asked, “guys who like Evangelion, or guys who are Gundam fans?” Oh.
May 30, 2014
It is common to see store assistants or sales representatives of apparel brands dressed in clothing from their own brand when they are on duty. This not only allows the staff to experience the fit and feel of their own products, it gives customers a view on what the clothes look like on a real moving human instead of a stiff mannequin. Lingerie makers, however, can’t expect their store assistants to parade around in undergarments. Or can they?
A Chinese woman who runs a lingerie shop was spotted posing and strutting about in her undies like a real-life mannequin for her store! More pictures after the break!
Are you a Japanese girl? Are you terrified that your implausibly popular foreign boyfriend might run off after one of those other girls that are constantly throwing themselves at him? Japanese website Madame Riri has come up with a whistle-stop guide to things Japanese girls do that make foreign guys back off. Avoid these pitfalls, and you too can have a fairytale ending with your Price Charming… Apparently. Let’s see what they came up with!
May 23, 2014
Since its first performance 100 years ago, Japan’s Takarazuka Revue has been the country’s most respected theater company. While the troupe is known for its lavish costume and set designs, as well as its bombastic musical performances, its most distinctive characteristic is that the group is composed entirely of actresses, with women playing both male and female roles.
To their fans, Takarazuka actresses are the epitome of grace and poise. There are a lot of pitfalls that have to be avoided to maintain that pristine image, though, as shown by the company’s list of the 25 marks of ugly women.
The media usually likes to give advice to men for impressing all the women out there. But what you don’t normally hear about is whether those tips actually work or not. Some commonly held beliefs may actually be nothing but misconceptions.
Japanese website Niconico News ran an article about three such tactics that men believe will help them attract the ladies…which will actually backfire on them, at least according to the ladies themselves. If you’re reading this and you’re a man, you may want to take note, or else you could make a serious blunder next time you’re trying to impress your date.
To all of our lovely women readers out there – have you ever felt betrayed by another female friend? Perhaps you were deceived and taken advantage of. Perhaps the coworker you trusted as your confidant was surreptitiously spreading scandalous rumors about you behind your back. Whatever the situation was, it was sure to have been an unpleasant experience.
A recent survey on popular Japanese site Mynavi Woman asked its female readers the same question as above. Dozens of women shed light about backstabbing friends and unbelievable scenes from the past. Have any of the following situations ever happened to you?
Mar 1, 2014
Back when I was an irksome, irritable teenager, I used to take issue with the fact that my mother would talk about “the girls at work” when in fact most of them were approaching 50. To me, a 14-year-old with copies of FHM stashed under his bed and enough testosterone and sexual frustration to make his eyes water, a “girl” was either someone my friends and I would whisper about at school or whichever scantily clad celebrity happened to be on the cover of said cheeky magazine each month.
Thankfully, now 31 and my hormones having settled down a bit, I’m able to appreciate that whether or not we label someone a “girl” really depends on the person in question, and dare I say it some of my mother’s (slightly younger) colleagues would no doubt get the nod of approval from both me and my old school friends if we had the pleasure of meeting them. But a recent question posted on Japan’s Oshiete! goo, a Q&A site not unlike Yahoo! Answers, asking where we draw the line between “girl” and “woman”, or rather “joshi” and “josei” in Japanese, has sparked quite the debate online, with some proposing that age 40 is the cut-off point while others believe “joshi” ends at 20.
So, you’ve probably heard that cosmetic surgery is common in South Korea. Considering its popularity, it’s hard to deny that going under the knife seems fundamentally appealing to a large group of people. And, hey, if you’re happy, we’re happy, right?
But cosmetic surgery has become so popular in South Korea that a few articles about “top ten natural Korean beauties” have recently become a hot topic in Taiwanese media, drawing the attention of microblogging Internet commenters. Unfortunately, it looks like the commenters weren’t ready to accept the women’s untouched beauty. Check out how heated the discussion got below!
In celebration of the Lunar New Year, one women’s prison in China decided to put on a fashion show featuring members of both the prison population and the guards. Fortunately, it ended up being more Glee than Shawshank Redemption and earned media attention even across the sea in Japan.
Check out some photos of the event below!
Like it or not, porn is without a doubt one of the largest industries in the world. You can often find it entirely by accident simply by entering the wrong (or right?) search terms into Google–even with Safe Search turned on! But if we’re being completely honest, it really seems like the industry is a bit one-sided. After all, when you imagine a non-specific someone watching porn, you probably picture a man alone in a dark room clicking furiously around the Internet.
But things are starting to change in Japan, thanks to a few enterprising “adult-oriented” companies who are targeting females.
Jan 29, 2014
Japan and China are well known for their almost constant bickering. Whether it’s a debate about some past wrongdoing or squabbling over rocks located hundreds of miles out to sea, the pair are seemingly always having a spat about something or other.
This week, a list of 14 purported differences between Chinese and Japanese women – allegedly written by a Chinese national – appeared online. While outlining everything from sex and extramarital affairs to respect for their partners’ parents and money matters, the list casts Chinese women in such a poor light that, as one Weibo user also suggested, we almost wonder whether it was created entirely to put the cat among the pigeons and have Chinese and Japanese net users at each other’s throats.
Last week a twitter user posted a chart that they saw on morning television. The show was running a special on large-sized women and classified two types: “OK Chubby” and “NG Chubby” (No Good Chubby). Once put online many overweight twitterers found the show’s infographic both a little controversial and a little sad.
- Shocking, snowy commercial is the saddest ad we’ve seen this fall1
- New app helps you translate Japanese and Chinese offline using smartphone camera2
- Korean cosplayer’s gender-bending costumes confuse us for a moment, then leave us mesmerized3
- Cats trapped in circles! Japanese blogger shows the best way to outsmart your kitty【Photos】4
- New smartphone game turns your photos of real-world cats into in-game warriors5
- Witness the power a typhoon has over a bag of potato chips in this time-lapse video6
- Yosegi wood craft — amazing in its beautiful simplicity and precision!7
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads8
- Don’t turn your back. Don’t look away. And don’t blink.9
- Photos claim to show difference between Chinese and other travelers, somehow show less and more10
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads1
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked2
- Cats trapped in circles! Japanese blogger shows the best way to outsmart your kitty【Photos】3
- We still don’t feel bad for you, Emperor: Photos of actors and their historical counterparts4
- Video of guy giving pandas medicine is insanely cute, unless you’re the guy5
- Japanese net users stunned by photos of Chinese ethnic minority men6
- Is that cute girl’s profile pic really anything like her ‘real’ face?7
- 5 powerful reasons to be a woman in Japan 【Women in Japan Series】8
- New smartphone game turns your photos of real-world cats into in-game warriors9
- Worst date ever! Japan’s ladies reveal the top five date ideas to avoid10
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】1
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China2
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked3
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads4
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked5
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea6
- Watch liquid turn into food at Japanese sample food factory 【Videos】7
- Japanese mothers react to being called by their first names after years of just being “Mama”8
- “Beautiful foreigner walking a polar bear” spotted at Shibuya’s famous crossing9
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls10
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】1
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star2
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls3
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】4
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China5
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later6
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady10
- Witness the power a typhoon has over a bag of potato chips in this time-lapse video
- Yosegi wood craft — amazing in its beautiful simplicity and precision!
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads
- Don’t turn your back. Don’t look away. And don’t blink.
- Photos claim to show difference between Chinese and other travelers, somehow show less and more
- Japanese net users stunned by photos of Chinese ethnic minority men
- Is that cute girl’s profile pic really anything like her ‘real’ face?
- Mini movie theatre seats now on general release, collectors of tiny chairs rejoice
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- Play Mario Kart on your living room floor (using robots!) with this awesome motion camera system
- What’s this Tibetan temple doing in the middle of Japan? We go to find out!
- When a goddess speaks, you listen…unless she’s telling you to kill someone
- The most famous cat in Japan shows us exactly how he fits his chubby body in a box
- 5 powerful reasons to be a woman in Japan 【Women in Japan Series】