A Tokyo office worker says former champion boxer Christian Eugenio-Gomez threatened him, saying “pay up or cut off your finger.” More details after the break!
As Google Maps expands its reach across the globe, netizens are finding more and more hidden treasures amongst the usual images of street signs and roadways. Sure, we catch a flock of human pigeons every now and then, but this next photo gallery is a little subtler than mobs of masked people purposely trying to live on forever in Google Maps. No, this is a different kind of mob…the mob. The yakuza, rumored to number in the hundred-thousands in Japan, have landed themselves on Google Maps more than a few times and we’re not quite sure they appreciate being photographed.
“Yakuza.” The word conjures up a host of images from noble anti-hero to vicious thugs to shrewd businessmen manipulating Japan’s financial institutions. While it may be hard to separate fact from fiction with these underworld gangs, one image–that of the sacrificed finger–is utterly real.
In fact, ex-yakuza members can have trouble fitting into normal society due to their missing digits. Fortunately for rehabilitated citizens, there are a few companies that can give them new fingers! Well, kind of…
There is nothing quite as relaxing as slipping into the warm water at a Japanese hot spring. But as you get ready for tub time, you should be aware of the finer points of public bathing in Japan. Besides leaving your rubber ducky at home, we have compiled a list of key bath tips to ensure the best soak of your life without having to hear someone nag about the “lack of proper bathing manners these days.”
And since one of the more frustrating points of the Japanese bathing experience is a blanket ban on tattoos, we will also provide some context on why exactly your tribal sign tramp stamp is so unwelcome.
- Preston Phro
Oct 13, 2013
Everyone loves cats–this is the basic premise of that the Internet is built on. From bored housewives to hyperactive teens to exhausted business people, no one is immune to their soft, fuzzy bellies and adorable eyes. Not even yakuza bosses!
In fact, one yakuza member run afoul the law after running over a shopping arcade roof, chasing after an escaped cat on his boss’s command.
- Preston Phro
Jul 3, 2013
What would you buy with $200,000? A new car? A house? Maybe take a long vacation in Europe?
How about a high-ranking police officer?
While this may not be a sound investment for the average person, that was allegedly the going rate for the highest-ranking officers the Yamaguchi-gumi, a yakuza group, “bought” in Aichi Prefecture.
Beautiful Japanese City Councilor: “I don’t wash my face or go to the bathroom”. Loses Job, Might be a Yakuza Alien.
Aug 17, 2012
Asuka Tachikawa, 27, famous for being a “beautiful city councilor,” has had pressure put on her to quit her job because she is actually an alien in disguise trying to ruin the city of Niizu in Saitama (near Tokyo).
Elected as a city councilor in February this year, the Saitama Prefectural Electoral Office has decided that her election is invalid because she may not have lived in the city for more than the required 3 months. In other words, she is an alien.
But what evidence do they have?
- Master Blaster
Aug 10, 2012
There seems to be something about the yakuza that appeals to the people of Thailand. First, we witnessed a brand of possibly yakuza themed tea: Chakuza. Now we are presented with Yakuzaaa Man Man Japanese Kitchen, which seems to be a hit with local youths and foreigners. You might be thinking from the name that it’s a gay restaurant, but it’s not.
At least I’m pretty sure it’s not…
- Internet survey sheds light on how Japanese women deal with the hair ‘down there’1
- Gamer discovers his deceased father’s ghost on an old Xbox game, challenges it to a race2
- Nara’s deer continue their summertime tradition of commandeering one of the city’s streets3
- Toyokazu Nagano’s “Magic Road” – the funniest, most adorable photos you’ll see today4
- Japanese Twitter users report an increase in ninja cat sightings as summer settles in【Photos】5
- Japanese critic shares his (kinda weird) views on Japanese vs Western adult entertainment6
- 【TBT】Tipping in Japan: Yes, it exists and it’s confusing7
- Actress/sexpert Aya Sugimoto founds organization for animal welfare in Japan8
- Run For Your Lives! Zombie-infested obstacle course heading to Singapore this October【Video】9
- Japanese adult video star’s dramatic plastic surgery sets internet abuzz10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman2
- This man’s face left Chinese internet users in amazement, agony and confusion 【Photos】3
- Creative pet “haircuts”: Funky or funny? You decide.4
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old to raise her to be his “ideal girl”5
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!6
- More than one way to skin a cat? Japanese YouTuber shows how to “open” a cat with belly rubs7
- Is Attack on Titan a documentary? Mikasa spotted in Russia!8
- Inconsiderate commuter behavior in Korea – A photo guide9
- 12 beautiful Japanese train stations by the sea10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】6
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land7
- 16 photos that show why Singapore has the world’s best airline8
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic9
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- What if Sailor Moon characters were lingerie models? They’d look stunning like this 【Photos】9
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】10
- Japanese critic shares his (kinda weird) views on Japanese vs Western adult entertainment
- 【TBT】Tipping in Japan: Yes, it exists and it’s confusing
- Actress/sexpert Aya Sugimoto founds organization for animal welfare in Japan
- Run For Your Lives! Zombie-infested obstacle course heading to Singapore this October【Video】
- Japanese adult video star’s dramatic plastic surgery sets internet abuzz
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- Enjoy latte art at home with cute marshmallow cats!
- Korean drama advances slap technology with ancient Korean recipe
- Our take on Studio Ghibli’s newest anime, When Marnie Was There【Impressions】
- Summer in China means crazy-crowded pools, which somehow mean fun for some easy-going swimmers
- International survey finds that 90% are open to a romantic encounter with a Korean partner
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!