YouTube isn’t all cat videos and aspiring singers, you know; it’s actually filled with genuinely creative and talented folks. As proof, we present to you a Japanese guy’s channel dedicated to brushing his teeth with guns.
In today’s fast-moving world of entertainment television and movies, many productions have been made possible with the advent of computer-generated images (CGI). A lot of movies and TV shows wouldn’t be conceivable without a little help from the green screen. That’s why it’s so rare today to see some production crews go back and do it “old-school”.
A small production in Taiwan has shared the secrets behind their “movie magic” in a short video, and it’s something that you really have to see, if only because it’s sure to put a big smile on your face.
- Preston Phro
Apr 29, 2014
As we’re all aware by now, Russia is apparently filled with the worst traffic imaginable. The seemingly Mario Kart meets Carmageddon levels of danger on the road have led many–if not all–drivers in the country to set up cameras in their cars for insurance purposes. And once something is captured on film, you just know it’ll end up online. Obviously, that means YouTube is overflowing with some of the most terrifying–and hilarious–traffic videos that Russia has to offer.
But a video that surfaced last week has proven to go far above and beyond anything we’ve seen so far. It’s already been viewed over eight million times since it appeared on April 23, and is one that you absolutely don’t want to miss.
YouTuber David Douchecovny, or just “The Douche,” is a fan of putting explosives on things and then shooting them. He films these explosions and posts them on YouTube. But a recent video might have gotten him into a bit of hot water as it features a product from Japan.
The Douche says he won this book in a giveaway from another YouTuber, with an attached note that read, “have fun blowing this up.” Join us after the jump to see whose book it is and whether or not it survives the explosion.
I can’t even remember the last time I “said Grace” before a meal. It must have been before my teens, when my parents realized I was a Godless, hopeless heathen that shoveled food into my mouth so fast I couldn’t even taste it.
Which, I guess, puts my manners one level below four Chinese dogs that dutifully bow and lower their heads as their owner/trainer says a few words of thanks for their meal.
Writing for RocketNews24, we get to see some unusual stuff nearly every day. The Internet, in all its infinite wisdom and fluffy kittens, can get pretty weird sometimes, as you are all probably very well aware. And that’s fine! When you’re tapping into the collective consciousness of the whole globe, you should expect to find the unexpected. But sometimes you really hit the wacky gold. Like this cartoon of Doraemon mashed together with Dragon Ball, complete with strained voice acting, over-the-top sound effects, and the most painful battles we’ve ever seen. It’s…look, you should just go ahead and click to read more now.
Apr 4, 2014
Our loyal readers are probably more aware of who Takeru Kobayashi – the infamously voracious Japanese competitive eater – is than the New York Cosmos professional soccer team, but it looks like the Cosmos players weren’t so familiar with the diminutive athlete… Until now.
As part of an elaborate April Fool’s joke, New York Cosmos managers put together a stunt that saw Kobayashi posing as an employee at the frankly quite delicious Buffalo Wild Wings chicken wing chain as the Cosmos team filtered into the restaurant for a meal.
We’ve all had days where things just go inexplicably wrong. Forgetting your homework, tripping over the cat, or worst of all, getting locked out of the house–all of these are horrible ways to start or end any day of the week. But have you ever wondered why it seems that when one thing goes bad, everything goes bad? Well, this video might provide an answer to the mystery: It’s all the cat!!
- Philip Kendall
Mar 13, 2014
Meet YouTuber Smoukahontas, the girl who became an internet star in a matter of days with her video “What Language Sound Like To Foreigners”. In it, the bespectacled brunette runs through a long list of languages from Arabic to Japanese, blabbering nonsense word combinations in genuinely impressive accents, resulting in something that sounds to the untrained ear just like the real thing.
Mar 12, 2014
The sudden rise to cult fame of two of Japan’s most beloved crossdressing bearded men, Japanese native “Sailor Suit Old Man” and foreign newcomer Ladybeard, should have been something we had anticipated. Ever since The Kids in the Hall and Monty Python made men dressing like girls more or less acceptable as long as it’s being done ironically, we’ve seen a spate of crossdressing performers rocket to stardom all over the world.
But with these two kawaii titans standing on the brink of Japan-wide fame, it begs the question: Which one would win in a knock-down, drag-out wrestling match?
- Joan Coello
Mar 12, 2014
We’ve previously peeked into the living spaces of cosplayers and while their props and costumes certainly impressed us, some of their rooms were a little… distracting. Let’s just say, not all cosplayers are as good at organizing their rooms as they are skilled at roleplaying.
“What has cosplaying got to do with organizing your bedroom?” you might ask. Theoretically, they’re two separate issues, but when the world’s largest furniture retailer IKEA steps into the picture, creating effective storage space in a room seems like something any and every cosplayer should be capable of. Check out the makeover of this Singaporean cosplayer’s bedroom!
This cat is just too cool! A user posted a short video to YouTube, showing off this ginger beast’s totally rocking hairstyle. We’re pretty sure the handsome fellow would be getting kicked out of school for daring to wear such a gravity-defying mohawk!
- Preston Phro
Mar 10, 2014
Kendo is a uniquely Japanese martial art. Like judo, karate, and aikido, this modernized version of a traditional art has numerous practitioners both in Japan around the world. And while some may approach it with more, um, zeal that others, it’s generally viewed as being more like chess than raw fighting.
But if you ever thought that kendo lacked in brutality or purely comedic tomfoolery, this 117-year-old video of a kendo practice session in Kyoto will put you in your place. And then smack you across the head with a big bamboo stick!
Sex, as the saying goes, sells. What exactly that means seems to be somewhat up to interpretation–we don’t think you’d want to buy a couch after watching a couple…um…”frolicking” on it–but it’s hard to deny that a bit of sexiness goes a long way in boosting sales. Even something as boring as shampoo can seem exciting when you film a young, perky model showering.
Of course, not everyone thinks that this is the best way to hock merchandise. Last year Dove earned a bit of respect from consumers with their “Real Beauty” campaign aimed at bolstering women’s self-images and emphasizing seeing the natural beauty we all have. Though the main commercial hit the shores of Japan last spring, it seems that it’s recently gotten a lot of attention over here. Click below to see what Japanese commenters are saying about the video!
Have you ever loved something so much, you just had to shout it out to the whole world? Well these guys certainly know that feeling. A group of foreigners created this video for the one true love in their lives – Japanese convenience stores.
In an age of smartphones where everyone has a digital camera in their back pocket, the distinctly 21st-century form of entertainment that is the reaction video has become an art unto itself. On YouTube, you can watch a little girl going crazy with excitement as her family tells her they are going to Disneyland; teens reacting to viral videos; even people who are pretending to be other people reacting to things. Gogglebox, a UK television series which consists of footage of people watching TV in their own living rooms, is about to go global, with Chinese and American versions in the pipeline. We are watching people watching, and in our millions.
There is another type of reaction video, too: fans of anime who post videos of themselves watching the latest episode in real time. Reaction videos of English-speaking fans watching Attack on Titan have been making waves on the internet. These YouTubers are almost as animated as the videos they watch, so join us as we enjoy six of the best!
Feb 20, 2014
Being a music video director must be a pretty cool job. You don’t have to worry so much about narrative structure like film directors do, and you’re free to just make a mish-mash of concepts that – if you’re talented – form a vaguely recognizable story. The only requirements are liberal use of bullet time and at least one physically attractive woman.
Case in point: This hit British music video from electropop band Clean Bandit, which appears to tell the story of a cute Japanese girl who is being haunted by white people.
But, apparently, many YouTube viewers were too distracted by the beauty of the video’s token hot girl/lead actress to notice the Shakespearean tale unfolding before their eyes. These viewers, instead of asking why a bunch of Caucasian apparitions were bullying this poor Asian girl, were more concerned with finding out who the actress is, the better to Google search for pictures of her boobs.
The thing that’s been in the spotlight on Taiwanese internet this week is a fairly simple, 10-second video clip. There’s no out-of-this-world discovery, fancy special effects or social drama to this clip, so we won’t blame you if you’re wondering why we even bother sharing it, but… but… it’s a video of real, actual, dancing boobs!
You want to see it too, right? We won’t tell anyone you took a peek, so go ahead and enjoy the show!
Stereotypes suck. For every stupid, preconceived idea that anyone has about any group of people, there are a million counter examples proving it wrong–if you’ll allow me to generalize for a moment. And it seems that one of the most persistent stereotypes is that Caucasian women simply don’t like Asian men at all.
Now, it is certainly true that, statistically speaking, Asian men in the United States, for example, tend to cohabit with or marry Caucasian women far less then the Asian women and Caucasian men. But “statistically speaking” and “in practice” are completely different things.
Asian films can’t hold a candle to Hollywood films in terms of worldwide popularity, but when it comes to movies with intense fighting action, Asian stars such as Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan and Jet Li shine above the rest with their impeccable kung-fu moves. But such agile movie stars are hard to come by, so film-makers often rely on filming techniques and computer graphics to boost the intensity of action scenes.
Four Singaporean youths brought things back to the basics with an amateur action video clip and showed us that you don’t need state of the art CG to show the audience a powerful kick. All you need is some powder. And of course, some sleek martial art skills.
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls1
- Japanese illustrator imagines girls as birds, creates new stereotype genre – “Bird Type Girls”2
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea3
- What your favorite sushi says about your income4
- Can you unlock your new iPhone 6 Plus with your nipple? We can! 【Video】5
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker6
- Man vs. Beast! Competitive eater Kobayashi takes on hamster in hot dog-eating contest 【Video】7
- Japanese Salaryman vs. American Salesman: Are they really this different?8
- Japanese team wins Ig Nobel prize for confirming that banana peels are in fact slippery9
- China’s Special Forces in Hong Kong go through a ridiculous training regimen10
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls1
- You’re in for a big surprise if you fall for this bikini wearing DJ’s sexy poster!【Photos】2
- Korean cosmetic surgery show treats two Thai women to free procedures3
- Lifehack: Transform a Starbucks paper bag into a fully functional wallet!4
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star5
- Chinese university gets hot new Japanese teacher; internet goes crazy6
- Ao-nyan: Japan’s super-feminine model who’s, yes, actually a guy 【Photos】7
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!8
- Young Chinese entrepreneur tries marketing menstrual pads to men, gets heavy cash flow9
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later3
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons4
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady5
- Hello Kitty isn’t a cat!? We called Sanrio to find out!6
- Lifehack: Transform a Starbucks paper bag into a fully functional wallet!7
- Scholars confirm first discovery of Japanese sword from master bladesmith Masamune in 150 years8
- Taiwanese Tsunade cosplayer sparks debate about public decency at events9
- Japanese actor’s unfortunate choice of t-shirt has net users amused, doubting his English ability10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】2
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star3
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls4
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker5
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later6
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons7
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady8
- The clever way Japanese drivers thank each other without saying a word【Video】9
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- Man vs. Beast! Competitive eater Kobayashi takes on hamster in hot dog-eating contest 【Video】
- Japanese Salaryman vs. American Salesman: Are they really this different?
- Japanese team wins Ig Nobel prize for confirming that banana peels are in fact slippery
- China’s Special Forces in Hong Kong go through a ridiculous training regimen
- Why does Japan have so many overhead power lines?
- KFC Japan unveils even more amazing, ridiculous fried chicken merch
- Pirates, pink hair and temporary tattoos: The girls of Tokyo Game Show 2014【Photos】
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea
- Chinese parenting posters from 1952 gave insightful advice that still makes plenty of sense today
- Sailor Moon, Outer Senshi are ready to watch over your phone with earphone jack accessories
- Our recipe for green tea rice-cooker pancakes: amazingly tasty, ridiculously easy