Between spending all day basking in the sun and playing in boxes, there’s no doubt that the life of a cat is pretty great. And a Japanese musician has reinforced this with a recent video he uploaded of his cat achieving what looks like feline nirvana. The owner, a Tokyo-based music teacher, seems to put his cat in a trance by playing the instrument on top of the cat. Click below to view the video of the cat who could serve as an anti-drug PSA, teaching the world that the best way to get high is through music.
Nov 15, 2013
Given Mercedes Benz’s reputation for luxury, it’s tempting to dismiss the automaker’s cars as being strictly for trust fund sorority girls or high-flying lawyers who just made partner.
Mercedes does have quite a bit of performance cred too, though, particularly for its extra-sporty cars that bear the mark of AMG, the company’s in-house tuning and motorsports division. But while you can find plenty of driving enthusiasts who get excited by the cars coming out of Stuttgart, in a new video Mercedes tries to stir the hearts of a new demographic: Zen monks.
Oct 17, 2012
What do you think of when you hear the word Zen? For most people, “organized religion” probably isn’t a phrase that pops up immediately. This can be a bit of a predicament for Zen Buddhist missionaries working in places like Europe and North America.
The word, which comes from a Japanese translation of the Chinese word chán, literally means meditation, and has developed a romantic sense of being purely in the moment and devoid of all thought. This concept has been focused on by various artists in Western culture like Jack Kerouac, with a diminished emphasis on the less sexy doctrines and worshiping of Buddha that are very much a part of the whole religion.
This image dichotomy is something that the Headquarters of Missionary Work for the Soto School of Buddhism in Europe has to deal with all the time.
Excite News Japan recently went to interview them on the state of modern Soto Zen Buddhism abroad. Check our rundown of their findings below!
- Over half of Japanese adults do this in the shower – How about you?1
- Does the way you cross your arms say anything about your personality? Japan thinks so2
- Visit Japan without ever leaving home with these eight beautiful videos3
- Online survey reveals the types of guys elementary school girls DON’T want to date4
- Yokohama restaurant serves fried axolotl, along with giant isopod, camel, and crocodile5
- Bonsai treehouses look like something out of Howl’s Moving Castle 【Photos】6
- 10 ways shopping at Wal-Mart in China is completely different from how it is in the US7
- How to cook miso soup (the right way) in a few simple steps【RocketKitchen】8
- Women at World Wushu Championships attack each other at the speed of light9
- Make sure to visit this historical onsen once before you die, or just do it right now with Google10
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours1
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer2
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute3
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters4
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world5
- Turn an ordinary balloon into a smartphone case in seconds with this neat trick6
- Live-action Attack on Titan posters show new characters and weapons, plus one huge absence7
- Can you spot the problem that led to the recall of this otherwise cute Japanese New Year’s card?8
- Our Japanese reporter visits an American sushi restaurant in Japan9
- Question reveals how foreigners feel about speaking Japanese, getting English in return10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises5
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit6
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make7
- One Piece manga sends off Naruto with a classy secret message8
- Clever Japanese pet owners find perfect cat beds…at IKEA! 【Photos】9
- Just a bunch of adorable cats riding on trains in Japan10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher3
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”4
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】5
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China6
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later7
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea10
- Bonsai treehouses look like something out of Howl’s Moving Castle 【Photos】
- 10 ways shopping at Wal-Mart in China is completely different from how it is in the US
- How to cook miso soup (the right way) in a few simple steps【RocketKitchen】
- Women at World Wushu Championships attack each other at the speed of light
- Make sure to visit this historical onsen once before you die, or just do it right now with Google
- Turn an ordinary balloon into a smartphone case in seconds with this neat trick
- Check out this amazing Princess Mononoke digital fan art from China
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer
- Hatsune Miku transforming race car robot is actually pretty awesome
- Rare ghost-white tuna caught off Bali — we go to see it on display in Shibuya!
- You’re going to flip over these 3-D animated flip books, fantastic enough to elicit cheesy puns