As a huge fan of Sailor Moon, one artist decided to reimagine the characters in a fresh new way that resonated with them. In the resulting fanart the Sailor Senshi have undergone a magical transformation into black African women – check out these amazing illustrations below.
After discovering anime in her early teens, Cara decided she wanted to live in Japan. Of course her parents thought it was just a fad... but 11 years, a university degree in Japanese Studies, and a whole lot of culture shock later, here she is. She currently works a day job whilst writing and translating otome games in the evenings. Her hobbies include anime, manga, sci-fi & fantasy TV shows, and starting countless things that will never get finished.
All Stories by Cara Clegg
Wotagei, Japan’s unusual form of otaku dancing, is spreading across the seas and capturing the hearts of foreign idol and anime fans, causing them to contort their bodies in strange but rhythmic formations. Read on for more about this unique performance art and watch some videos of afficionados in action.
Angelina Jolie’s latest war movie, Unbroken, has been facing criticism recently from Japanese conservatives for its portrayals of brutality in World War II prisoner of war camps. While the film hasn’t even been released yet, there are some people who want to make sure it never sees the light of day in Japan.
6 days ago
A survey conducted by a Japanese LGBT rights organization has been extremely revealing about the main political parties’ attitudes towards sexual minorities, and is something to think about for voters heading to the polls this weekend.
Dec 11, 2014
Japanese cosmetics company Shiseideo has released their predictions for 2020’s makeup trends, as well as a look back at Japanese beauty throughout the last century. Will geisha makeup be making a comeback? Read on to find out.
Dec 10, 2014
Dec 8, 2014
Spending your time bashing out wild beats on the drums might sound like heaven for rock music fans, but installing a drum kit in your house is a sure way to make the neighbours hate you, especially in Japan where most landlords prohibit the use of musical instruments.
Thankfully, these days there is of course a digital alternative, and some people have become so good at iPad drumming that in its own way it can be as impressive as the real thing.
Taiwan’s top model, Chi-ling Lin, has just turned 40 and yet she doesn’t look a day out of her twenties. How does she do it?! Read on for more of this beautiful lady who, we might add, is more than just a pretty face.
Dec 5, 2014
Have you ever ordered a product online that turned out to be nothing like how it looked in the photo? You feel disappointed, annoyed, and slightly betrayed. It’s probably the same kind of feeling an artist gets when a product based on their designs doesn’t turn out quite like they expected.
Dec 5, 2014
Talented digital artist Sakimichan is back with more gorgeous fanart! You may remember her for her other incredible Naruto fanarts or her gender-bent Disney portraits. Here we’ve got three more new portraits of Naruto characters done in her distinctive style, as well as timelapse videos showing exactly how she creates her masterpieces.
Dec 2, 2014
With the release of Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire you might be in the mood for some merch, so we’ve dug some out for you: Have hours of fun with these adorable stackable pokémon sets!
Nov 28, 2014
Who said heroes don’t exist? In Ibaraki Prefecture, Japan they most certainly do!
Read on to meet the IBALIGER robot-superhero group and the female member who netizens have been describing as “too sexy”.
Earlier this year we introduced our readers to Japan’s fox village, an open-range zoo home to dozens of adorable foxes so tame that they’ll walk right up to you to say hi. This year, too, Japanese sightseers have stopped by to see the foxes playing in the autumn leaves, and one Twitter user uploaded a pair of simply adorable photos that we just had to share with you.
Nov 26, 2014
They may be too young to be thinking about dating, but it seems that elementary school girls can still tell you exactly what they DON’T want to see in a guy!
Thought the market was already oversaturated with Miku products? Think again! Good Smile Company is here with something that was still missing - a Hatsune Miku-inspired transforming race car robot!
Check out this insane performance at the World Wushu Championships. It might look like one woman is summarily beating the other to a pulp, but it’s actually all part of an intricately choreographed martial arts performance that blends dance and fighting into a beautiful and fantastic spectacle.
One of Japan’s leading dictionaries has made a significant (and arguably long overdue) step towards acknowledging and normalizing homosexuality by revising the entries for words relating to love and sex. They have removed restrictive references to these feelings existing only between a man and a woman, opening up the definition of love to everyone — gay, straight, or otherwise.
Brown paper lunch bags don’t have to be boring! One mum’s stunning drawings on her kids’ baggies liven up lunchtime, and are so good that it almost seems a waste to draw them on something that’s designed to be disposable.
Girls, have you ever been put off from the army because their uniforms just aren’t cute enough? Well here’s your answer: a KanColle-inspired corset that’s made–to–order!
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】1
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea2
- 【TBT】Chinese bootleg DVDs improve on originals in every way3
- Cotton Wife and Cotton Husband aren’t huggy pillows, they’re life partners for the lonely!4
- Character images of new Digimon Adventure series released, expected to air in spring 20155
- Wish you could check out Tokyo’s Christmas illuminations? Well now you can! 【Video】6
- This crazy 4-minute clip is the most epic fan-made anime tribute we’ve seen this year7
- Shippers rejoice! 10,000 anime fans pick their favorite same-sex pairings8
- Dumplings that’ll make you pretty! “Gyoza for girls” is the new food trend hitting Japan!9
- Commercial reminds Japan’s tired commuters about the drawbacks of living far away from work10
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood1
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】2
- Character images of new Digimon Adventure series released, expected to air in spring 20153
- Chinese dude bags super hot Ukrainian wife, generates major envy online4
- Life imitates (Sword) Art (Online) as Japanese gamers find they can’t log out of online RPG5
- Japan’s cutest rodent commuters take the high-road【Video】6
- Alice in Moeland! Japanese netizens react to art style of new US book cover7
- Our hero Ladybeard shows us and the world how to properly wear the much-talked about boob shirt8
- 5 common misconceptions most westerners have about Japanese food9
- Artist magically transforms Sailor Moon characters into black women10
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood1
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin2
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- How to say “I love you” in Japanese – 47 different ways 【Videos】5
- Japanese man proposes to girlfriend with Guinness World Record-winning GPS drawing6
- Historic Kyoto temple first in Japan to offer gay weddings7
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!8
- Hayao Miyazaki comments on Chihiro’s final test scene in Spirited Away9
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】3
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China4
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood5
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin6
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours9
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】10
- Wish you could check out Tokyo’s Christmas illuminations? Well now you can! 【Video】
- This crazy 4-minute clip is the most epic fan-made anime tribute we’ve seen this year
- Shippers rejoice! 10,000 anime fans pick their favorite same-sex pairings
- Dumplings that’ll make you pretty! “Gyoza for girls” is the new food trend hitting Japan!
- Commercial reminds Japan’s tired commuters about the drawbacks of living far away from work
- Life imitates (Sword) Art (Online) as Japanese gamers find they can’t log out of online RPG
- Sailor Suit Old Man’s mobile game just as cute and fun as the man himself
- Alice in Moeland! Japanese netizens react to art style of new US book cover
- What if Frozen had been set in China…
- We head to the Snickers Hungry Barber for a free haircut, worth every penny
- A farewell to fries: Twitter users document their last meal of L-size Mcdonald’s potato snacks
- Japan’s cutest rodent commuters take the high-road【Video】
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood
- Artist magically transforms Sailor Moon characters into black women