On September 14 in Hikone City, Shiga Prefecture, a British man was arrested on suspicion of groping a woman on a train. Unfortunately such cases are a dime a dozen in Japan, but what makes this one stand out, apart from the culprit being a foreigner, is that he is in fact a man of God! Yes, this guy is a pastor.
After discovering anime in her early teens, Cara decided she wanted to live in Japan. Of course her parents thought it was just a fad... but 11 years, a university degree in Japanese Studies, and a whole lot of culture shock later, here she is. She currently works a day job whilst writing and translating otome games in the evenings. Her hobbies include anime, manga, sci-fi & fantasy TV shows, and starting countless things that will never get finished.
All Stories by Cara Clegg
It’s almost that time again! The Fall 2013 anime season is absolutely jam-packed with something for every kind of fan. There’s no way you can watch all of these though, so have a skim through this list (put together by Gigazine and translated by yours truly) to pick out the ones you’ll be following.
Read on for the first 20 series that will be hitting screens next week.
There are a number of things you would never want to find hidden in amongst your parents belongings, but this one might just take the top spot.
You can find pretty much anything on self-styled “front page of the Internet” Reddit, which means from time to time you’ll probably stumble across something you’d rather un-see. One poster in a Pokémon subreddit uploaded this gem, sharing a cake her boyfriend had made for her. Make sure you have a strong stomach before reading on…
Wandering around Tokyo it’s not at all unusual to see foreign men with Japanese girlfriends, but it’s much rarer to see foreign women with Japanese men. Some people think that foreign girls simply aren’t into Japanese guys, but when Japanese site Madame Riri checked out some English-language websites and forums, they found that there were plenty of girls out there who were interested in Japanese men, they just didn’t know how to go about bagging one.
On the forums of a Japanese culture site aimed at foreigners there were plenty of threads with titles such as “Are Japanese guys not interested in white girls?” and “How can I get a Japanese boyfriend?” These girls were all wanting to discuss how to make themselves appealing to Japanese men, and thankfully they were treated to a handful of great tips for how to do just that from one especially worldly-wise love expert.
Read on for five ways to get a Japanese guy.
How often do you want to see your boyfriend or girlfriend? It’s a pretty important question for anyone in a relationship, and if each half of the couple’s expectations don’t match up, it can become a problem. Do you feel your girlfriend is too clingy when she asks to see you every night of the week? Or maybe you’re questioning if your boyfriend really likes you, since he doesn’t seem to want to spend that much time with you.
Market research company Cross Marketing conducted an online survey where they asked 300 Japanese men and women in their 20′s and 30′s “How often do you like to meet your boyfriend/girlfriend?”. The results were pretty interesting, and maybe not quite what you’d expect.
As the birthplace of modern anime culture, Japan has more than its fair share of hardcore anime fans, or otaku. But what starts someone out on the potential path to wall-to-wall DVD box sets, shelves of figures, and a bed full of love pillows? An online survey asks Japanese people to reveal the series that showed them the light.
Fans of Studio Ghibli classic Princess Mononoke (Mononoke Hime) will no doubt remember Nago (Nago no Mori), the wild boar-turned-demon who curses Ashitaka. He’s not the best-looking boar around, and we’re pretty sure you wouldn’t want to encounter him in the forest - let alone in the back seat of your car!
Japan is famous for its wealth of delicious and interesting foods starting with sushi, tempura, takoyaki and hundreds of variations of ramen and soba. Then there’s the endless regional specialties; even the smallest village will have its own unique dish it prides itself on. However, for tourists who don’t speak or read any Japanese, ordering these exotic dishes can be quite intimidating.
Many places will only have menus in Japanese, and you would be missing out on a large part of Japan’s varied food culture if you only went to the places that offered English.
That’s why, as well as being awesome to look at, Japan’s fake food or “food samples” have become indispensable to foreigners.
Japanese workers are famous for their seemingly inexhaustible dedication to their companies and ability to work long, long hours. Japanese even has a specific word for death from overwork: karōshi (過労死). But is this work ethic something that Westerners ought to admire, or is Japan in need of a holiday?
Japan Today asked foreigners “Why do you think Japanese work such long hours?” and received a huge amount of comments from people who had experienced life in a Japanese company. The responses were overwhelmingly negative about the Japanese work ethos, and many believe a shift in attitudes towards work right across society is necessary. Five points in particular stood out as particularly problematic.
There’s a whole slew of new merch to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Naoko Takeuchi’s seminal Sailor Moon. With all these new goodies going on sale it can be pretty overwhelming, but RocketNews24 is on the case to introduce the very best, and today is no exception. In the name of the moon, she will make you part with your cash! And that’s not all – there’s also a fantastic chance to win some super-extra-special Sailor Moon-related prizes.
Trains in Japan can get pretty hot and sweaty even without the sweltering summer heat mixed in, and some commuters have voiced concerns about the conditions on trains that have to wait at the station for more than the usual barely-enough-time-to-get-on-and-off 30 seconds. However, one of Japan’s major rail companies has come up with an innovative solution to keep passengers a mite cooler.
To keep the cool in their carriages, JR East (East Japan Railway Company) has implemented a new system on their trains departing from stations such as Tokyo and Shinagawa along the Tōkaidō Line. From now on, the usually open doors will remain CLOSED before departure, requiring passengers to physically press a button to open the doors and board the train. Yep, that’s it folks – their grand idea was to shut the doors.
Pixar’s highly anticipated Monsters University finally opened in Japan on July 6, and to celebrate FamilyMart have launched an edible collaboration of delicious pork buns. We rushed out to buy a few and put them to the taste test, all for the benefit of our dear readers, of course!
Mushrooms are funny things. There’s colourful mushrooms, luminous mushrooms, fairy circles of mushrooms, poisonous mushrooms, and the infamous magic mushrooms. But I ain’t never seen a mushroom like this before…
They’re usually the epitome of seriousness and order, but it seems even military men can find Japan’s summer heat a little overwhelming…
The girl above (yes, they’re both the same girl!) has shared a video of her incredible transformation from the rather unflattering left-hand pose to the cutie on the right. Read on to find out how she did it!
What’s your 100m sprint time? If it’s over 23.8 seconds, then you’re slower than a 90-year-old! Last month Japan’s Turbo Granny smashed the Japanese record for her age category and now has her sights set on the world record.
- 13 surprising Japanese translations of American movie titles1
- 10 Japanese foods you can make at home!2
- 16 films based on popular manga series hitting Japanese cinemas in 20143
- Freshman facepalms: Japanese college students struggle to answer basic astronomy questions4
- Live-action Attack on Titan gets release date, new director5
- Let’s learn a little Japanese with this dead squid in a parking lot6
- Adorable chinchilla causes Japanese netizens to have cute attack 【Photos】7
- The 6 best frozen foods at a Japanese grocery store8
- 12 urban legends about Tokyo Disneyland9
- “Wait, you’re a dude? Meh, marry me anyway.” New male princess stealing hearts in China10
- “Wait, you’re a dude? Meh, marry me anyway.” New male princess stealing hearts in China1
- Beautiful Chinese boy “traps” the hearts of Korean netizens 【Photos】2
- Nine unusual products from Japanese designer, Oki Sato3
- Cute credit cards could send you to the slammer4
- 10 incredible tiny houses in Japan: a photo tour5
- Woman with alone time on an elevator does something incredibly unexpected6
- The last photo of faithful dog Hachiko breaks our hearts7
- Live-action Attack on Titan gets release date, new director8
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea9
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong10
- What the hell is this monster?? 【Updated】1
- Before and After: 31 Startling Images of Plastic Surgery in Korea 【Photo Album】2
- Chinese designer depicts Eastern vs. Western human behaviors in clever pictographs3
- 45 adorable pictures of animals acting human 【Photos】4
- When Two Amazing Worlds Collide: Welcome to the World of Cat Sushi!5
- 10 things Japan gets awesomely right6
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong7
- “Wait, you’re a dude? Meh, marry me anyway.” New male princess stealing hearts in China8
- Beautiful Chinese boy “traps” the hearts of Korean netizens 【Photos】9
- The amazing disaster relief equipment of Japan’s Self Defense Force10
- Before and After: 31 Startling Images of Plastic Surgery in Korea 【Photo Album】1
- 252 of Japan’s favorite animated gifs2
- What the hell is this monster?? 【Updated】3
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong4
- Chinese designer depicts Eastern vs. Western human behaviors in clever pictographs5
- Thinking about plastic surgery? This ad may make you laugh – or it could make you think twice!6
- Meet the new model set to make manga artists’ lives a whole lot easier7
- 10 things Japan gets awesomely right8
- When Two Amazing Worlds Collide: Welcome to the World of Cat Sushi!9
- Snake being pickled to create healing liquor awakens after 3 months and bites woman10
- Let’s learn a little Japanese with this dead squid in a parking lot
- Adorable chinchilla causes Japanese netizens to have cute attack 【Photos】
- The 6 best frozen foods at a Japanese grocery store
- 12 urban legends about Tokyo Disneyland
- “Wait, you’re a dude? Meh, marry me anyway.” New male princess stealing hearts in China
- Cute credit cards could send you to the slammer
- Humidify in style with artsy, all-natural humidifier
- 【Monday Kickstart】”Wow, what a huge double bed!”
- Girl runs away from home to stop her parents from buying a Japanese car
- Does Xbox One’s new Kinect camera work in a tiny Tokyo apartment?
- Sexy sapphire Santas smoothly shave Sato’s stubble
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong