It’s hard to find someone who doesn’t love Studio Ghibli movies. From the spellbinding storytelling to the fantastic art, it seems there’s something for everyone when it comes to Japan’s most beloved animation studio. Today, we’d like to share with you this fantastic digital art by Tianhua Xu, a concept artist and art director for Chinese studio Chiyan Workshop. Join us after the jump as we compare this work to the original still from the film Princess Mononoke.
Come next year, Chinese Disney fans will no longer need to travel to Hong Kong to get their magical fix as plans for the massive Shanghai Disney Resort were finally announced at the 2014 China International Tourism Trade Fair. The Resort will not only be home to Shanghai Disneyland, but also two themed hotels, as well as a large shopping and dining area aptly named ‘Disney Town’, all centered around a beautiful artificial lake. We sure are curious to find out how Mickey and Minnie will sound like speaking Shanghainese!
Check out this insane performance at the World Wushu Championships. It might look like one woman is summarily beating the other to a pulp, but it’s actually all part of an intricately choreographed martial arts performance that blends dance and fighting into a beautiful and fantastic spectacle.
3 days ago
There’s something about tales of inept criminality that we just can’t resist, especially when it seems like a case of fate conspiring against the wrong-doer. Like the man arrested for robbery in China’s Shandong province on Thursday who was on his way back from a temple, having gone to give thanks for not being caught.
A picture is worth a thousand words, and these photos are no exception. What happens to a usually smoggy sky after a large spell of rain? One Chinese Weibo user was able to document the unusual sight for the rest of us to see!
4 days ago
Remember when you were in school and had to do that dreaded health and fitness check in PE class? Turns out those trials aren’t just for little homo sapiens.
A few days ago, workers at the Pu’er Sun River national park were checking the health of their endangered charges ahead of some research projects and got some pretty adorable snaps in the process.
5 days ago
In 1974, some farmers in Xi’an, China, stumbled upon a funerary army buried with the first Qin emperor comprised of more than 8,000 terracotta soldiers. Their fierce, noble faces belied their intent to protect the emperor even in death, while their military dress and kit, all recreated in detail, gave them the means to do so.
Now an artist in San Francisco is herself recreating some of these World Heritage statues, but there’s something just a bit off about the faces…
Asian consumers are in love with the iPhone 6 Plus, according to a report published Thursday by AppLovin, a mobile ad network.
AppLovin looked at data from the more than 25 ad requests it processes every day, and found that the global split between iPhone 6 and 6 Plus users is about 80/20 right now.
But in some Asian countries, the 6 Plus is much more popular.
Nov 20, 2014
Proponents of outdoor learning, in which organized education takes outside the schoolhouse, say there are a number of benefits to the approach. Aside from fostering better communication skills and self-esteem, advocates hold that open-air class sessions lead to lower stress levels and greater respect for the natural environment.
None of those seemed to be the goal of a recent test session in China, though, where over 1,000 students took their tests outside a single school.
Nov 19, 2014
After a controversial Halloween stunt landed them in some hot water, Shanghai prankster group Monkey Kingz is back and at it again–and this time, with a decidedly less-gory theme.
Their latest video is titled “Single Chinese Guy vs Single White Guy,” which pokes fun at the predicaments of two available guys, one Chinese and one white, on Singles’ Day in China. In a hilarious sequence of short clips, the two men try busting out all the moves to win over a girl using exceptionally different tactics. Will they find true love, or will they be forced to spend Singles’ Day wallowing in total rejection? Watch the video and see the funny progression of events for yourself!
The Internet has seen some very entertaining music videos in the past few years that some people would call just down-right crazy. Remember when PSY’s “Gangnam Style,” or Ylvis’s “What Does the Fox Say?” first came out? Everyone thought they were nuts, but they went on to become worldwide hits.
But now a new Chinese music video has clucked its way into the international spotlight and has the potential to become the Queen of Weird. After watching it, all we can say is, “…”
Playing sports brings out a different side of us. This is especially so in sports that require cooperation within a team in order to go up against an opposing rival. It’s easy to put on a front at normal times when you’re composed and in your comfort zone, but it’s a battlefield out on the courts. That’s probably why some people say that you can tell a person’s personality by the way he/she plays on a team.
Here’s a personality analysis derived from the play styles of the characters from a certain popular basketball manga and anime series. Which type of athlete are you? Read on to find out!
Hayashi 'Fang' Hougi
Nov 18, 2014
Using clean lines and simple concepts inspired by everyday objects, Chinese artist Shanghai Tango has attracted much attention on Tumblr for his adorable minimalistic cartoons. Each one inspires us to see the world around in a different light and a scroll through his blog quickly enlightened us. Shanghai Tango’s art is nothing dramatic, but every piece brought a smile to our faces. Check it out after the jump!
Nov 17, 2014
Usually, it seems, the standard procedure for reuniting a lost pet with its owner is to put up posters on every streetlamp you can find, begging people to let you know if they’ve seen your wayward canine/feline family member.
It’s nice, then, that the owner of a large Alaskan malamute in Suzhou, China had an animal that was smart and proactive enough to basically do all the legwork for him, by essentially turning itself in to the police.
Nov 17, 2014
One of the great things about college is living in the dorms with all your friends and being able to walk down to the cafeteria for ready-made meals. It has all the convenience of living at home with your family, but without anyone telling you when to come home! Of course, that’s not to say that there were no rules–and one of the big ones is the prohibition of items that may cause fires, like hot-plates and toasters. As much as we all love grilled cheese sandwiches at 2 am, I think we can agree that it’s not exactly paranoid to worry that someone will forget to turn theirs off and start fire.
However one university in Sichuan is apparently a bit…zealous when it comes to enforcing the rules. They’ve even displayed the confiscated contraband on campus as a warning to would-be rule breakers. It turns out, though, that there was a good reason why so many students were cooking secretly in their rooms…
Nov 16, 2014
There’s another batch of shocking “before and after” pics of plastic surgery doing the rounds: transformation pictures of Chinese women, accompanied by captions listing the procedures the women have had, from double eyelid surgery to rhinoplasty.
I’m not a doctor, but I do have eyes, and surgery is not the only thing going on in these pictures. There are heaps of other factors that make these amazing post-surgery photos look better than the “before” shots. Here are but a few.
Nov 15, 2014
Does the name Kanna Hashimoto ring a bell? Last November, photos of the “once-in-a-thousand-year” idol from the Fukuoka-based idol group Rev. From DVL were an online sensation, capturing the hearts of thousands of Japanese netizens overnight with her angelic looks.
A year later, the name Kanna Hashimoto popped up again on Japanese forums, though this time the spotlight is not on Kanna, but on JingYi Ju from SNH48, the Shanghai-based sister group of Japan’s biggest idol girl group, AKB48. Internet users have been raving that JingYi looks exactly like, if not even prettier than Kanna, and have even gone to the extent to hail her as a “once-in-four-thousand-year” gem of the entertainment industry. If, even for a fleeting moment, you thought that was a photo of Kanna Hashimoto, you need to take a closer look at this SNH48 cutie after the jump!
Hayashi 'Fang' Hougi
Nov 15, 2014
Apple products are always the talk of the town whenever new models are released, and it seems like quite a number of Chinese fans are willing to go to the extreme for these popular gadgets (remember that guy who rented out his girlfriend in order to earn money for an iPhone 6?).
A Chinese programmer made the news recently when he confessed his love for his female colleague not just with flowers but with 99 of the much sought-after iPhone 6 smartphones. Despite the extravagance, however, it would seem that the young lady still wasn’t interested.
Nov 14, 2014
Take a look at this picture – what’s your first impression? Personally (and perhaps due to my prior experiences as a kindergarten teacher in Japan) my first thought was: “How convenient that must be when it comes to potty-training!”
These Chinese “split pants” are considered completely normal for children to wear in China, so when a Chinese-American parent took their little boy out to play in Monterey Park in Los Angeles, they surely weren’t expecting a concerned citizen to call the police on them.
Nov 12, 2014
Russian President Vladimir Putin and Peng Liyuan, the wife of Chinese President Xi Jinping, seemed to have a nice time at the official leaders’ dinner at the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit meeting in Beijing.
The two seemed to chat politely before something interesting happened.
“Then Mr. Putin, a former Soviet spymaster who rides horses bare-chested, made his move,” as described by The New York Times. “He whipped a tan coat from beneath the table and slipped it over Ms. Peng’s shoulders as she stood up.”
And here’s how Didi Tang of Associated Press described the scene: “It was a warm gesture on a chilly night when Vladimir Putin wrapped a shawl around the wife of Xi Jinping while the Chinese president chatted with Barack Obama. The only problem: Putin came off looking gallant, the Chinese summit host gauche and inattentive.”
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】1
- Scope out which love hotel to take your next date to right now in Google Street View2
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!3
- Does the way you cross your arms say anything about your personality? Japan thinks so4
- Artist creates “PokeMonstrosities” that are the stuff of nightmares5
- Japanese mothers react to being called by their first names after years of just being “Mama”6
- Zelda hero Link’s other blade, the Fierce Deity Sword, brought to life in awesome video7
- Visit Japan without ever leaving home with these eight beautiful videos8
- 252 of Japan’s favorite animated gifs9
- Tokyo adding free Wi-Fi to 143 subway stations for foreign travelers10
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours1
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】2
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer3
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!4
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute5
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters6
- Turn an ordinary balloon into a smartphone case in seconds with this neat trick7
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world8
- Does the way you cross your arms say anything about your personality? Japan thinks so9
- Can you spot the problem that led to the recall of this otherwise cute Japanese New Year’s card?10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises5
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit6
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make7
- One Piece manga sends off Naruto with a classy secret message8
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】9
- Clever Japanese pet owners find perfect cat beds…at IKEA! 【Photos】10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher3
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”4
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】5
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China6
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later7
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea10
- Japanese mothers react to being called by their first names after years of just being “Mama”
- Zelda hero Link’s other blade, the Fierce Deity Sword, brought to life in awesome video
- Visit Japan without ever leaving home with these eight beautiful videos
- 252 of Japan’s favorite animated gifs
- Tokyo adding free Wi-Fi to 143 subway stations for foreign travelers
- Shimotsuki Matsuri: The extraordinary winter festival that inspired Ghibli’s ‘Spirited Away’
- The newer, cheaper Kakureya II: The perfect secret fort/box for studying, drinking, or napping
- Anime-loving mum takes kyara-ben to a new level with these well-drawn anime bentos
- Jibanyan, Japan chooses you! Pikachu trampled beneath paws of Youkai Watch mascot
- Yokohama restaurant serves fried axolotl, along with giant isopod, camel, and crocodile
- Laser-cut, 360-degree “book” lets you bring Mt. Fuji into your home
- Doting owner builds cosy kotatsu for cats, faces the sting of feline rejection【Photos】
- Press as hard as you like, these new mechanical pencils just refuse to break
- Turn an ordinary balloon into a smartphone case in seconds with this neat trick